When will the hotel bubble pop?

Wanna hear something crazy?

The first time we stayed CL at the Grand was in 2007. We got a military discount rate. I pulled out the receipts.

We paid $279/night. For club level.
We just got back from our trip staying at GCH and 100% not worth it for us. Basic standard, $600+ for one night and next trip that we sleep over, we're either staying at Disneyland Hotel or Paradise Pier again.
I agree with this assessment. I think part of it is that Disneyland has gotten too complicated for normies. With park reservations, Genie+ and the difficulty of getting dining reservations, the people who visit are more prepared and those who don't want to deal with it often decide to not go. Being more prepared means that people are more likely to pay attention to the special events. Years ago, I didn't feel like Halloween Party at Disneyland affected wait times that much during the day but in 2021, Guardians of the Galaxy had consistently 30-45 minutes longer waits on days that had the Halloween Party.

Hong Kong and Tokyo crowd patterns have long been more attuned to special events but I definitely feel it a lot more in California now. Hong Kong has adopted a strategy where every couple of months, they have an exclusive show that only runs for 2-3 days. Reservations basically never run out in Hong Kong but on those days, Annual Passholder reservations do run out.

I loved using the Disneyland app this trip and it has come such a long way in just the past few years. The ease of the map navigation, the LL, and mobile order. IMO don't think Disney can easily be done any longer without a smartphone and the DL app.

I loved using the Disneyland app this trip and it has come such a long way in just the past few years. The ease of the map navigation, the LL, and mobile order. IMO don't think Disney can easily be done any longer without a smartphone and the DL app.

This part just makes me sad. I'm tied to devices all day for work (both at work, and at home), and I try to stay off of devices when on vacation.

Just kind of emblematic that a Disneyland trip is work, requires work, and isn't really a vacation anymore (at least for us adults).

This part just makes me sad. I'm tied to devices all day for work (both at work, and at home), and I try to stay off of devices when on vacation.

Just kind of emblematic that a Disneyland trip is work, requires work, and isn't really a vacation anymore (at least for us adults).
Don't worry! You really don't have to be tied to your phone/device. It mainly depends on your park-going style and who else is in your party. If your kids are older, let them go off on their own for a while and figure it out, and you can take a more low-key approach.

I'm usually in a small group, either family (my kids are all grown) or friends. I don't have a full-blown must-do agenda. We're not bothered if we don't get on something because we'll do it next time. We've seen it all multiple times so we're not super gung-ho about hitting all the rides, and we're at an age where we value experiences more than anything.

If you're all about the rides and Genie+ and mobile ordering, then I guess you'll have to be tied to your phone. I got a MB+ but not Genie+ and had great visits without too much fuss. I only used the band to scan in and that was pretty nice. I rarely mobile ordered (when I go to DL, I prefer to make sit-down reservations for main meals). When I did mobile order, it was really easy and didn't suck up too much time.

Don't worry! You really don't have to be tied to your phone/device. It mainly depends on your park-going style and who else is in your party. If your kids are older, let them go off on their own for a while and figure it out, and you can take a more low-key approach.

I'm usually in a small group, either family (my kids are all grown) or friends. I don't have a full-blown must-do agenda. We're not bothered if we don't get on something because we'll do it next time. We've seen it all multiple times so we're not super gung-ho about hitting all the rides, and we're at an age where we value experiences more than anything.

If you're all about the rides and Genie+ and mobile ordering, then I guess you'll have to be tied to your phone. I got a MB+ but not Genie+ and had great visits without too much fuss. I only used the band to scan in and that was pretty nice. I rarely mobile ordered (when I go to DL, I prefer to make sit-down reservations for main meals). When I did mobile order, it was really easy and didn't suck up too much time.
The issue isn't just about style but the fact that Disney removed non-app options to do things.
  • If you have a Magic Key and the app fails to load your key, you can't get into the park. This leads to no shows which can block you from getting into the park for a month.This glitch has affected me but I was able to enter the park using a screenshot. This problem didn't exist pre-pandemic when they had physical cards and only the flex pass had reservations.
  • I'm pretty sure it's not possible to do a virtual queue without the app. I've had it glitch and fail to confirm my party which blocked me from getting World of Color. Pre-pandemic, you could get one from the physical machines.
  • Pre-pandemic, there was the option of going to physical kiosks to get fastpasses and virtual queues but that has been taken away.
  • Some people have old phones where the app won't run or causes overheating issues.
About a week ago, the Disney World app had a meltdown which led many people to basically be unable to do anything in the app. Disney fixed it in the morning but if they didn't fix it by 1PM, it would have been catastrophic for all the people who flew across the country to ride Tron but couldn't get a virtual queue due to the app not working.

To me, a device-free vacation is going to Maui, sitting in the sun and swimming and doing nothing for 5 days.

I agree and for us I think it could be argued that Disney is not a real 'vacation', but more like a highly planned, physically taxing hike. And although I enjoy our trips, mainly they involve us power walking from one ride to another, sitting down briefly for food and wrapping up by 2pm before the crowds get overwhelming.

To me, a device-free vacation is going to Maui, sitting in the sun and swimming and doing nothing for 5 days.

I agree and for us I think it could be argued that Disney is not a real 'vacation', but more like a highly planned, physically taxing hike. And although I enjoy our trips, mainly they involve us power walking from one ride to another, sitting down briefly for food and wrapping up by 2pm before the crowds get overwhelming.

Same. I don't go to Disney parks to relax. I go on a cruise or to a beach resort for that.

I think of my phone as an tool and use it throughout my daily life. I don’t consider it a burden or bother. I love the conveniences it offers (and the savings...I use store apps for digital coupons and stuff). I have my phone on me at all times and I would feel naked without it. Even when I am swimming, I have it around my neck in a waterproof pouch because its awesome to not have to worry about it getting lost or stolen and I can use it to take photos while I'm in the water.

I really can't understand the point of view of wanting to "unplug" while at a Disney park. That is the one place you should definitely want to be "plugged in" at all times. It makes your day so much easier.

Same. I don't go to Disney parks to relax. I go on a cruise or to a beach resort for that.

I think of my phone as an tool and use it throughout my daily life. I don’t consider it a burden or bother. I love the conveniences it offers (and the savings...I use store apps for digital coupons and stuff). I have my phone on me at all times and I would feel naked without it. Even when I am swimming, I have it around my neck in a waterproof pouch because its awesome to not have to worry about it getting lost or stolen and I can use it to take photos while I'm in the water.

I really can't understand the point of view of wanting to "unplug" while at a Disney park. That is the one place you should definitely want to be "plugged in" at all times. It makes your day so much easier.
The Disneyland App is very easy to use. I also subscribe to touring plans I can use it online or on the App.
Disneyland is relaxing to me because it is Disneyland. When I visit DL, I relax but on my attractions and such. It is certainly not a beach vacation or a weekend in the mountains or an all inclusive resort vacation.
I stayed pulled in because I want to maximize my time and use my time efficiently.

I disagree with the idea that you should always want to be plugged in. I don't. I won't ever want that. I want to enjoy the atmosphere and the moment, and my body doesn't deal well with extended stress, which is how it perceives constant monitoring on my phone. It annoys me to no end when I go with friends who choose to stare at their phones the entire time. Every time I try and say something while we're waiting in line, for instance, I get a vague "uh huh" from one of my friends because she's so caught up in taking the perfect picture, posting it on social media, and then reading all the responses etc. She's busy posting and online chatting about the trip without actually spending time looking around and enjoying it. It's like she's only seeing Disney through her phone, and that's the only communication she wants.

I leave my phone in my backpack most of the time. I don't get Genie+ and I'm not mobile ordering very often. I do take pictures but I don't need 500 shots of something I see several times a year and the only pictures I care about include the people I love or some special moment.

You don't have to choose relaxation OR hyper-mode Disney. You can do some of each and have a great time within your own comfort boundaries. My comfort zone is a more casual trip interspersed with the occasional necessity of phone use. The tricky part is when you go with someone whose style is the opposite of yours.

I disagree with the idea that you should always want to be plugged in. I don't. I won't ever want that. I want to enjoy the atmosphere and the moment, and my body doesn't deal well with extended stress, which is how it perceives constant monitoring on my phone. It annoys me to no end when I go with friends who choose to stare at their phones the entire time. Every time I try and say something while we're waiting in line, for instance, I get a vague "uh huh" from one of my friends because she's so caught up in taking the perfect picture, posting it on social media, and then reading all the responses etc. She's busy posting and online chatting about the trip without actually spending time looking around and enjoying it. It's like she's only seeing Disney through her phone, and that's the only communication she wants.

I leave my phone in my backpack most of the time. I don't get Genie+ and I'm not mobile ordering very often. I do take pictures but I don't need 500 shots of something I see several times a year and the only pictures I care about include the people I love or some special moment.

You don't have to choose relaxation OR hyper-mode Disney. You can do some of each and have a great time within your own comfort boundaries. My comfort zone is a more casual trip interspersed with the occasional necessity of phone use. The tricky part is when you go with someone whose style is the opposite of yours.

I'd be annoyed by that behavior too. I don't use my phone in that way at all. I can't stand that kind of thing. I use the app for everything because I have ZERO patience for needlessly waiting in lines for food and other things that can be streamlined using the app. I use mobile checkout when I shop. I use mobile order for everything I possibly can. We use a DAS so have to use the phone for that. I use it to monitor wait times and ride breakdowns. There is nothing more frustrating than crossing the park to go to a specific ride and finding out it's down.

I'd be annoyed by that behavior too. I don't use my phone in that way at all. I can't stand that kind of thing. I use the app for everything because I have ZERO patience for needlessly waiting in lines for food and other things that can be streamlined using the app. I use mobile checkout when I shop. I use mobile order for everything I possibly can. We use a DAS so have to use the phone for that. I use it to monitor wait times and ride breakdowns. There is nothing more frustrating than crossing the park to go to a specific ride and finding out it's down.
That all sounds reasonable and smart. You're saving time on dumb stuff like waiting in line so you have more time to spend actually doing things.

I'm the same, even when I'm on vacation, I'm reading off my Kindle and posting pictures to Instagram so my family can keep up with our trip.

I got rid of my physical books a few years ago. They take up a lot of space and even though there are lots of arguments of why physical books are better, it was so incredibly freeing. Now I only use my Kindle app on my phone and it has a dark mode which helps prevent eye strain.

I instagram during my trip because my mom and most of my in-law's fam follow me. They love seeing our trip pictures. My mom likes to tell me she's "living vicariously" through my photos and my mother in law loves seeing pictures of DH out and about in the world, since he doesn't do social media.

Personally, instagramming gives me longer and fuller enjoyment of my trips because I can go back and enjoy the pictures again and again. Years later I'll look through the photos and suddenly remember a part of the trip I forgot. Or I'll remember how good a meal was because the picture will remind me.

I think because it was just easier back in the mid-aughts (also, smart phones didn't exist to begin with, BBM was where it was at), you kind of just wandered around aimlessly and enjoyed, and still managed to have a good time. You had the option to hyper plan (which really meant speed walking in a specific/efficient loop around the park), but it was still rewarding if you chose not to do it.

I enjoyed not having to run around once MaxPass came around, but that's pretty much the peak of it all for me. That really bumps the value of the VIP tour up for me, you basically outsource the work involved.

Also, mostly because I want to walk around DL with my kids, pointing things out, talking to them, and not have to glue myself to my phone to keep them fed and the entertainment going.

I know, it's just device creep! There's beauty in the wait, though. Beauty in the process. It's like... going on Spotify is way more efficient, higher quality, and you can listen to more songs per hour.

Or, you can bust out the vinyl record, appreciate the aesthetics, and listen to the same artist for like 30 minutes straight, usually a song or two you don't like, and have to go flip the record. That's the 1998 Disneyland I'm sort of hankering for after roaring through the parks with digital tickets, G+, LL, barcode for photos, boarding group this, multi experience pass that.

I know, it's just device creep! There's beauty in the wait, though. Beauty in the process. It's like... going on Spotify is way more efficient, higher quality, and you can listen to more songs per hour.

Or, you can bust out the vinyl record, appreciate the aesthetics, and listen to the same artist for like 30 minutes straight, usually a song or two you don't like, and have to go flip the record. That's the 1998 Disneyland I'm sort of hankering for after roaring through the parks with digital tickets, G+, LL, barcode for photos, boarding group this, multi experience pass that.
Ha, ha! I totally get that. I'm very similar. I guess I'm an old dog, and while I can certainly learn new tricks, there was something really nice about the old ones. However, the world has changed, there are lots more people, lifestyles are different, and DLR has also had to adjust. I think they've done brilliantly, but I can't help fondly remembering past times when things seemed simpler. In reality, they weren't always easier, just different. You had to go to the ticket booth. There was no way to keep in touch except to set up meeting places at X time. There was no option but to wait in line, whether for food or rides.

I wonder what I'd think if I were to go back to that Disneyland for a day. I wish I could do that just to see.

Agreed. Nothing worse than waiting in a long line to order food and then the person in front of you can't make up their mind.

I think because it was just easier back in the mid-aughts (also, smart phones didn't exist to begin with, BBM was where it was at), you kind of just wandered around aimlessly and enjoyed, and still managed to have a good time. You had the option to hyper plan (which really meant speed walking in a specific/efficient loop around the park), but it was still rewarding if you chose not to do it.

I enjoyed not having to run around once MaxPass came around, but that's pretty much the peak of it all for me. That really bumps the value of the VIP tour up for me, you basically outsource the work involved.

Also, mostly because I want to walk around DL with my kids, pointing things out, talking to them, and not have to glue myself to my phone to keep them fed and the entertainment going.

Times were different, that's for sure. But I don't personally find myself glued to my phone at the parks. I pull it out when I need it, and put it back in my pocket when I don't. My kids and I still talk in lines. We still talk during meals. We still wander and go in the shops and stop and watch entertainment. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Like everything else, it's about balance.

You have to be willing to get with the times or you get left behind. At the Disney parks, if you aren't using a smartphone to manage your day better, you are going to have a worse experience overall.

At the Disney parks, if you aren't using a smartphone to manage your day better, you are going to have a worse experience overall.

A friend of mine is going to DL "just to walk around" and although it depends on the day and how early he gets there, I'd be surprised if he enjoys the experience or it's worth the ticket price he pays.

Or, you can bust out the vinyl record, appreciate the aesthetics, and listen to the same artist for like 30 minutes straight, usually a song or two you don't like, and have to go flip the record. That's the 1998 Disneyland I'm sort of hankering for

I have never understood the appeal of records and their iffy sound quality. The space they take up plus upkeep and rent to house them. Now I take pictures of things I want to remember and remind myself that nostalgia doesn't need to take up physical space.

Although '98 had rocket rods and country bear jamboree so I slightly see the appeal, my trip in 2000 is still hands down the worst DL trip I've ever had. My solo trip in June '07 was not much better (although I got a reservation at Blue Bayou, so that's clutch).

I remember having to book a shared shuttle just to get to the airport because there was no rideshare and taking the Disneyland Express which took forever to show up. I could not have done DL in a day back then like I do now, transportation just wasn't efficient enough at my price point.

My favorite trips have been well after the age of Instagram, '18 and on. The resurgence in Pin Trading, Mobile Order, PhotoPass, stroller laws, LL. I love them and my positive DL experiences have me coming back more often because the experience is so much better.

My main gripes now are things Disney doesn't control, like transportation. Although most these will likely go away with the high speed rail that's coming to Florida.

You had to go to the ticket booth.

I cannot state enough how much I love not going to the ticket booth. It's amazing. I even love not worrying about getting our tickets in the mail in time before our trip.

Now I buy them, show up to DL, and like magic, they work.

Times were different, that's for sure. But I don't personally find myself glued to my phone at the parks. I pull it out when I need it, and put it back in my pocket when I don't. My kids and I still talk in lines. We still talk during meals. We still wander and go in the shops and stop and watch entertainment. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Like everything else, it's about balance.

You have to be willing to get with the times or you get left behind. At the Disney parks, if you aren't using a smartphone to manage your day better, you are going to have a worse experience overall.
I agree. In general our phones and all the tech are just tools and we choose how to use them. It’s good to understand the risks, uses, and limitations but ultimately we can choose to use them to maximize our experience. I’m spending less time waiting in lines with my kids and more time wandering around looking at things, watching shows, taking photos, going on rides, meeting characters, etc.

Not to say we do this every day that we go. There are times when we don’t really use our phones like when we’re just popping in on departure day for a bit. But either way I feel like our phones are just a beneficial tool when we choose to use them and not a hindrance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter