When will the hotel bubble pop?

I feel like I have to add I work in IT, build my own computers for gaming, and do light app development… heck, I drive a fancy EV with another giant screen streaming data….and we do maximize app usage in the parks to create an efficient day.

I just don’t like it. Is it nostalgia for being a carefree student wandering around the park with your possibly/maybe boyfriend/girlfriend where waiting an hour in line is actually kind of like heaven? Probably. Definitely.

For me (and this is just my own feeling), the rest of my life just moves too fast. DL for me has sort of been a place where I can give my kids a taste of what I grew up with. I should probably get over that and let it go, but it’s a process.

I’m trying to envision 1980s/1990s me listening to some old fart talk about DL in 1955 and yah, I gotta let it go!

I feel like I have to add I work in IT, build my own computers for gaming, and do light app development… heck, I drive a fancy EV with another giant screen streaming data….and we do maximize app usage in the parks to create an efficient day.

I just don’t like it. Is it nostalgia for being a carefree student wandering around the park with your possibly/maybe boyfriend/girlfriend where waiting an hour in line is actually kind of like heaven? Probably. Definitely.

For me (and this is just my own feeling), the rest of my life just moves too fast. DL for me has sort of been a place where I can give my kids a taste of what I grew up with. I should probably get over that and let it go, but it’s a process.

I’m trying to envision 1980s/1990s me listening to some old fart talk about DL in 1955 and yah, I gotta let it go!
I'm one of those 'old farts', or maybe I should say 'old fartesses'. My memories go back to probably 1959-60 as a young child and I also remember the late 60s-early 70s as a teen. And yes, it was very different! 'Better' in as much as crowds were lower and so were our expectations. We EXPECTED to wait in line and were happy to pass the time people watching or chatting because that was what we expected. But FastPass changed all that back in 1999. That's when we lost our 'patience' with lines, because now we expected to be able to skip them. There was also less to do since there hadn't been as many 'new' attractions, crowd levels were still manageable and there was the 'off season' for us locals. We had a good few years, though. FP 'worked' because crowds still weren't hellacious.

I'd say this lasted til maybe 2015-16, at least as far as off season went. I don't know exactly what happened about then, but suddenly there was no more offseason and crowd levels went crazy. MaxxPass helped a bit, but not really enough. Suddenly the crowds were hellacious, practically all year round.

Then came the pandemic, reservations, and then G+/LL/ILL. It's almost like the straw that has, if not broken, at least has sprained the camel's back.

I don't mind the reservations, being retired they present no problem, I can work around them. But on my recent Disney day I discovered that G+ is really as bad as some say. It was unwieldy and the return times just did not 'work' for me, I used LL once and bought one ILL. I did better just waiting standby the rest of the time.

I disagree with the idea that you should always want to be plugged in. I don't. I won't ever want that. I want to enjoy the atmosphere and the moment, and my body doesn't deal well with extended stress, which is how it perceives constant monitoring on my phone. It annoys me to no end when I go with friends who choose to stare at their phones the entire time. Every time I try and say something while we're waiting in line, for instance, I get a vague "uh huh" from one of my friends because she's so caught up in taking the perfect picture, posting it on social media, and then reading all the responses etc. She's busy posting and online chatting about the trip without actually spending time looking around and enjoying it. It's like she's only seeing Disney through her phone, and that's the only communication she wants.

I leave my phone in my backpack most of the time. I don't get Genie+ and I'm not mobile ordering very often. I do take pictures but I don't need 500 shots of something I see several times a year and the only pictures I care about include the people I love or some special moment.

You don't have to choose relaxation OR hyper-mode Disney. You can do some of each and have a great time within your own comfort boundaries. My comfort zone is a more casual trip interspersed with the occasional necessity of phone use. The tricky part is when you go with someone whose style is the opposite of yours.
well said.

I agree with you, you should work in an IT software development company if you have a dream to do it. It would be a good idea to convert your own idea into reality.

I was considering booking a trip this fall. Have been researching both on and off property. I could not get over how much money it costs to stay "on property" at DL compared to WDW!!! yikes.

Additionally, to book 4 nights this September at the Tropicana is $1,118. For the same 4 nights in Sept 2021 (I had it booked but canceled) it was $697; went from $174 a night to $279. Over $100 increase per night over the span of 2 years. Granted, Sept 2021 was still questionable in terms of covid travel...As I said above...YIKES! lol.

I was considering booking a trip this fall. Have been researching both on and off property. I could not get over how much money it costs to stay "on property" at DL compared to WDW!!! yikes.

Additionally, to book 4 nights this September at the Tropicana is $1,118. For the same 4 nights in Sept 2021 (I had it booked but canceled) it was $697; went from $174 a night to $279. Over $100 increase per night over the span of 2 years. Granted, Sept 2021 was still questionable in terms of covid travel...As I said above...YIKES! lol.

You have to regard DCG and DLH as 'Deluxe' and the PPH as a 'low deluxe/high moderate'. There are no 'budget' onsites. DLR has a total of THREE onsites compared to WDW's twenty, and that's not counting DVC properties available to book.

There are already soooo many 'moderate' and 'budget' priced hotels and motels near DLR and no empty land either on or adjacent to DLR to build more onsites.

But I agree hotel/motel prices in the area have skyrocketed. But I think that 'problem' isn't limited to DLR alone.

You have to regard DCG and DLH as 'Deluxe' and the PPH as a 'low deluxe/high moderate'. There are no 'budget' onsites. DLR has a total of THREE onsites compared to WDW's twenty, and that's not counting DVC properties available to book.

There are already soooo many 'moderate' and 'budget' priced hotels and motels near DLR and no empty land either on or adjacent to DLR to build more onsites.

But I agree hotel/motel prices in the area have skyrocketed. But I think that 'problem' isn't limited to DLR alone.
I agree. The demand after COVID for travel is beginning to wane. Eventually prices for hotels/motels area DLR will hit a high glass ceiling and prices will slowly begin to drop.
DLR Resort has no budget hotels...Pixar Pier is the cheapest but not a budget.
The latest round of DLR Resort ticket sales for California residents for the summer shows a weakening in attendance.
I expect Disneyland will drop a summer sale for late July through late September for its Resorts hotels in the come days and at least by late June. Stay tuned.

Yeah, its nationwide but looking at hotels at WDW and Universal Orlando that are on the resort they are mostly fairly priced while here we have the Pixar hotel...which is very meh and costs an insane amount.

But at least for me I've found some hotels I like that are within 15 mins from the resort but dont stay at the bigger chains that cost wayyyyy too much for what you get in my opinion

I agree. The demand after COVID for travel is beginning to wane. Eventually prices for hotels/motels area DLR will hit a high glass ceiling and prices will slowly begin to drop.
DLR Resort has no budget hotels...Pixar Pier is the cheapest but not a budget.
The latest round of DLR Resort ticket sales for California residents for the summer shows a weakening in attendance.
I expect Disneyland will drop a summer sale for late July through late September for its Resorts hotels in the come days and at least by late June. Stay tuned.
I remember when they were finally able to re-open the hotels they did a sale that began a sale at the beginning of July. They were anxious for the revenue and people to return. I agree, we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.

I remember when they were finally able to re-open the hotels they did a sale that began a sale at the beginning of July. They were anxious for the revenue and people to return. I agree, we'll see what happens over the next few weeks.
I agree. I think there will be a DLR Hotel special for this summer. The spring promo just ended on June 5 for stays through yesterday June 8th. Stay tuned.

I agree. I think there will be a DLR Hotel special for this summer. The spring promo just ended on June 5 for stays through yesterday June 8th. Stay tuned.
If I remember correctly for last year they did exactly what you said. But of course it's all based on what does their revenue and capacity look like. That usually determines when and how much of a discount they choose to offer. So yes I'll be watching.

If I remember correctly for last year they did exactly what you said. But of course it's all based on what does their revenue and capacity look like. That usually determines when and how much of a discount they choose to offer. So yes I'll be watching.
My bet is that DLR Hotel promo/sale will be a nice one 15% to 20% off...Attendance is expected to be lower than 2022 and 2021 and with the WDW ticket offers this year, Disney wants to keep the revenue consistent so they will have a promo.

I find it interesting that I'm receiving a lot of emails about hotel discounts lately from area hotels that don't typically offer them. In the last couple weeks I've received summer date offers from Hojo, Camelot, Tropicana, and Majestic Garden, as well as the usual emails from Grand Legacy.

I don't think summer booking are anywhere near what they expected.

I find it interesting that I'm receiving a lot of emails about hotel discounts lately from area hotels that don't typically offer them. In the last couple weeks I've received summer date offers from Hojo, Camelot, Tropicana, and Majestic Garden, as well as the usual emails from Grand Legacy.

I keep getting discount codes from Best Western. So yeah probably right, the bookings aren't at the level they anticipated for the season.

My bet is that DLR Hotel promo/sale will be a nice one 15% to 20% off...Attendance is expected to be lower than 2022 and 2021 and with the WDW ticket offers this year, Disney wants to keep the revenue consistent so they will have a promo.
I remember last spring it was up to 30% on premium rooms at DLH and GCH for magic key holders. My guess is if they have it for 20% it'll have to be for a premium room, which is fine but regular rates are so high.

Interesting, because I couldn't get a week book at the Tropicana or BWPPI in September.
How do you get discount offers? I have signed up for Tropicana and HOJO and haven't gotten any emails at all.

Interesting, because I couldn't get a week book at the Tropicana or BWPPI in September.
How do you get discount offers? I have signed up for Tropicana and HOJO and haven't gotten any emails at all.
This is the one from Trop/Camelot:

Now is the perfect time to plan your next trip to the "Happiest Place on Earth!" The Tropicana Inn & Suites and Camelot Inn & Suites offer a 10% discount to returning guests year-round. Rates this summer are as low as $188.00 plus 17% tax per night!
Click the "Book Now" buttons below and the10% Returning Guest Discount will automatically be applied. Or enter in promo code: RTN

From Hojo:
20% off through June 30, corporate code 1000038114

I don't think either offer will help you in September. I think I received the emails because of previous stays.

I would think September is considered “after summer” since Halloween time (one of the busiest times of the year at the DLR) is now starting 9/1.

I’ve been getting lots of promos for area hotels too. I figured they were not as booked up as they thought. I was in the parks this last week, and with the exception of Sunday 6/4, all the days we went seemed pretty darn crowded. And I expected 6/4 to be insane with a grad night, and it wasn’t.

What I did notice was we have a trip planned to WDW in August. And our dining opened up this past week. We aren’t staying on site, so dining opened daily. And we forgot to set alarms a couple nights. But we were able to get every dining reservation we wanted. Even very popular places like Le Cellier. I could not believe it. When I realized we overslept, I thought for sure we missed out. So makes me wonder about bookings at WDW too. Well that and their discount ticket offer.

All very interesting for sure.

I do have to say this last trip to Disneyland, cast members were much friendlier and I noticed the bathrooms were much cleaner than our last couple of trips in 2022.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter