When will WDW and DL/CA shut down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have accurate numbers for the flu because it can be easily tested, and has so for years, unlike this new virus which has, so far, had tests that don't work. The numbers we have for coronavirus are significantly deflated as many deaths were logged as "pneumonia". Even in Florida. Drs. and even patients have to get permission from the Health Dept. to test for this new virus. Where in the country do you have that to test for flu? Nowhere. Any tending physician or NP quickly runs a flu test on the spot.

But here's the thing - It's treatable. This isn't the Walking Dead where if you get bit, you're dead. If you get it, just like the flu, you get treatment for it. People who have died had pre-existing conditions, usually respitory. Same can be said of the flu.

I mentioned above, I changed my wording. They won't force any closings. This is a very different world we live in. In the 40's, there was no social media to cause complete panic and chaos. To close down WDW would cause unnecessary panic.

Panic and chaos seemed to spread through Europe just fine for centuries without social media when various outbreaks and plagues occurred.

If, IF the winds shifted for whatever reason Disney would shutter the parks very loudly under a declaration of an "abundance of caution". Not to do so would leave them exposed to unbelievable firestorm of criticism if the spread continued and casualties mounted, whether or not the parks were even associated with continued spread. Public opinion and social media aren't known for being patient about waiting for facts to place blame. Every abacus at Disney would come up with the same calculation -- far cheaper in the long run to be seen as part of the solution. It would take an awful lot of road to get to that point, unless social media incites a frenzy.

But here's the thing - It's treatable. This isn't the Walking Dead where if you get bit, you're dead. If you get it, just like the flu, you get treatment for it. People who have died had pre-existing conditions, usually respitory. Same can be said of the flu.

I've never seen entire cities and towns quarantined due to the flu. Have you?

If you can’t get treatment that is. They are refusing to test anyone in Washington state unless they’ve been out of the country or had direct contact with someone who is positive for the virus. They were telling people that they can’t receive medical treatment until they develop symptoms of severe as pneumonia.

If you can’t get treatment that is. They are refusing to test anyone in Washington state unless they’ve been out of the country or had direct contact with someone who is positive for the virus. They were telling people that they can’t receive medical treatment until they develop symptoms of severe as pneumonia.
I've been following along with a couple people in the Seattle area who have probable cause of having the virus (one works with a high risk population) and they are trying to do everything right. The medical system and government is standing in the way. It's frankly appalling at the lack of concern and how people are getting bounced around since no one has any idea of what to do. :sad2:

We are so far behind other countries medically speaking.

South Korea Drive thru testing.

Italy tests 10,000 in a day.

There would be far more cases in the US if we tested like other countries.

I predict both parks will be shuttered by April

I agree with you on the disparity in response from countries, but I think you are underestimating the importance of our economy to politicians if you think that anybody’s gonna make Disney world shut down

I've been following along with a couple people in the Seattle area who have probable cause of having the virus (one works with a high risk population) and they are trying to do everything right. The medical system and government is standing in the way. It's frankly appalling at the lack of concern and how people are getting bounced around since no one has any idea of what to do. :sad2:

That's a big obstacle. And one that would have no doubt been aided considerably had health professionals and scientists around the world been privy to the idea a problem existed as early as possible, allowing more time to develop knowledge, prevention protocols, treatment modalities and potentially a vaccine.

#thanksChina

CDC's tests haven't been accurate from onset. So the numbers here are significantly skewed. :/

I don't think social media has anything to do with it, but lack of preparedness on the part of government and medical facilities themselves.

I agree with the 2nd part, but social media absolutely has everything to do with it. Social Media has a lot to do with everything.

That's not even a remotely accurate statement. This is the problem. Too much misinformation out there.

Let's say COVID-19 has a 1% fatality rate. That's a reasonable estimate given the uncertainty right now - some places like Wuhan and Iran are drastically higher, and the latest I've seen for Italy is 0.7%
The flu in 2018-2019 had just under a 0.1% fatality rate. (https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html)
So 0.1% vs 1% is literally an order of magnitude.

If you have statistics that contradict that, I'd be happy to see them.

IF they shut down Walt Disney World, how long would it be shut down for exactly? Months, if so, how many months? No one knows how long this virus is going to be around. It might still be infecting people right up until the end of the year. Is Walt Disney World supposed to close for over half a year? How much loss would that incur Disney? Closing the parks isn’t the solution.

You clearly don't understand they were not FORCED to close down any of the parks and certainly not Tokyo. They most certainly can be forced to and you are ignorant if you think they cannot be.

I trust Bob Iger to make the right decision far more than I trust any of our government leaders. Disney shouldn't be forced to do anything.

I have no idea what you're talking about. You seem to be talking about Japan. I'm talking about China.

I was only talking about the US; others questioned the powers/laws of other countries. Here is post 21 of this thread:

I'll sum this up as easily as I can for you, leaving common sense out:

China is a communist country.
The United States of America is a democracy.
The government in the United States of America isn't going to force any business to shut down.

Nope. Disney does not own those parks and things work very differently in those particular countries than they do here.

Disney Parks doesn't own Tokyo Disney Resort, which is licensed by the Oriental Land Company. Hong Kong Disneyland is a joint venture between Disney Parks and the HK government, so it's fairly easy for the government to just shut it down. Shanghai Disneyland is also a joint venture with Disney Parks owning the smaller share. I heard Disney Parks basically made the call on those closures.

My wife went to a Chinese restaurant for some takeout last night. She said the place was pretty much empty. A lot of Chinese-Americans are avoiding going out these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter