When will WDW have a new nighttime parade again?!

I often wonder about Disney Management, Isnt Disneyland Management the same as Walt Disney World's Management. They both answer to Company Headquarters in Burbank. It just seems Burbank favors Disneyland more then WDW, perhaps cause Burbank is closer to Disneyland then WDW.

I often wonder about Disney Management, Isnt Disneyland Management the same as Walt Disney World's Management. They both answer to Company Headquarters in Burbank. It just seems Burbank favors Disneyland more then WDW, perhaps cause Burbank is closer to Disneyland then WDW.
No each resort has their own management team. Michael Colgaizer (DLR president) leads the DL team. George Kalogridis (WDW president) leads the WDW team. Each are given their own budgets for entertainment purposes like parades, refurbs, etc. Large scale projects like Star Wars land are not overseen by the resort teams but by imagineering and Burbank themselves.

No each resort has their own management team. Michael Colgaizer (DLR president) leads the DL team. George Kalogridis (WDW president) leads the WDW team. Each are given their own budgets for entertainment purposes like parades, refurbs, etc. Large scale projects like Star Wars land are not overseen by the resort teams but by imagineering and Burbank themselves.

In reality they do not much more than handle logistics, pour over operational expenses, and pray for revenues.

Stock driven company...they all operate as monetary oligarchies.

Btw, I was there on Monday 02/20. There was NO night time parade and it was fantastic. There was a marching band that came through around 7pm, but there was no ropes, no CM's making me walk all the way to Haunted Mansion to cross just to come back into Frontierland to get to the churro cart. No crowds bottle necked into the areas that weren't roped off, just business as usual. In fact, the HUB only got insanely busy about 30 minutes before the fire works and about 10 minutes after. My trip was extremely pleasant in the evening and that is something I CANNOT say for the past few years. I always cringed when I had to enter the parks after 7pm because of the parade/fireworks crowds. I honestly hope they never bring the night parade back. I shopped, I rode rides, I ate, and I enjoyed myself. I didn't waste an hour sitting on the pavement trying to get a "good" viewing angle just to have some idiot try and step in front of me 5 minutes before the show.

I honestly think keeping people riding, shopping, and dining is the way to go.

Same thing the weekend prior...we moved around a bit...saw the fireworks in 3 parks (rarely if ever do that) and didn't have too much as far as crowds...Epcot was a little busy on the weekend...but still much better than 3 years ago.

Btw, I was there on Monday 02/20. There was NO night time parade and it was fantastic. There was a marching band that came through around 7pm, but there was no ropes, no CM's making me walk all the way to Haunted Mansion to cross just to come back into Frontierland to get to the churro cart. No crowds bottle necked into the areas that weren't roped off, just business as usual. In fact, the HUB only got insanely busy about 30 minutes before the fire works and about 10 minutes after. My trip was extremely pleasant in the evening and that is something I CANNOT say for the past few years. I always cringed when I had to enter the parks after 7pm because of the parade/fireworks crowds. I honestly hope they never bring the night parade back. I shopped, I rode rides, I ate, and I enjoyed myself. I didn't waste an hour sitting on the pavement trying to get a "good" viewing angle just to have some idiot try and step in front of me 5 minutes before the show.

I honestly think keeping people riding, shopping, and dining is the way to go.

And I preferred it when all those people were on Main Street and not in line ahead of me for my next ride. :p

And I preferred it when all those people were on Main Street and not in line ahead of me for my next ride. :p

Ya know, I thought that would affect us too, but it didn't. Ride times dropped as usual. I guess because the fireworks were at 8, everyone went home. No reason to stay if there's not a parade 30 minutes after, right?

Ya know, I thought that would affect us too, but it didn't. Ride times dropped as usual. I guess because the fireworks were at 8, everyone went home. No reason to stay if there's not a parade 30 minutes after, right?

I actually think that's sort of sad.

If they took away the fireworks, maybe it would clear out even sooner?

I actually think that's sort of sad.

If they took away the fireworks, maybe it would clear out even sooner?
Actually, I think the opposite. The fireworks subconsciously signal an end to the evening. Without them, people would be more inclined to stay because there's no incentive to work their way forward. See, at 8pm, there you are on Main Street. You're watching the fireworks. All the shops you promised yourself or your kids you would visit are right there. You're not going to venture back down into the park, you're going to say, "well, we're here, let's shop". Then you're standing in front of the gates. The time is now maybe an hour before close. You and your party decide to head out because "well, you're done for the day anyway and you want to beat the crowds leaving". Without that signal of the "good night" you haven't made your way forward, you haven't shopped two hours before close, you're still at the back of the park queuing up for Big Thunder.

I get why people are sentimental, but I think they're operational nightmares

I think it's a delicate balance. Several reasonable points were brought up: some people plan their trips ON parades/entertainment, some people enjoy shorter lines at dining and rides, some people start dotting in mini-camps as the sun goes down in expectation of a parade/light show/entertainment, and therefore create obstacles in the pathways. They are crowd-movers but only to some limited extent and in certain areas.

Disneyland probably invests more into entertainment options, because everything is more expensive there, and there's only so much they can do with what they have without visitors going off-property. WDW... well, if you're bored at one park, likely you can go to another. And you can always go explore the other resorts and Disney Springs and go back to your resort pool. There's always something you can figure out to do on-property in FL.

So it seems perhaps the initial shock of the end of the night time parade has now gone - people are getting used to it.

I seriously doubt there will ever be a night time parade again. No way would they leave it years until the 50th and then bring one back - after that many years most guests will have pretty much forgot there ever was a night time parade so no point wasting cash on creating a new one at that point.

Well done Disney, a load of cash saved and people are just gonna have to learn to live without it.

I'm sure which ever exec thought that one up will be getting a nice extra big bonus this year!

I love the parades but the most chaotic part of the day when at MK was ALWAYS trying to find a spot on Main Street to watch. And lord help you if your SO or a child needs to use the restroom and leaves their spot for a second...you'll have an ECV parked on top of you faster than you can say "Frozen."

I will always love MSEP and I'll love whatever parade comes next (if any) but I don't miss the chaos of either staking out a seat an hour in advance or trying to shoehorn yourself into a spot last-minute.

If you ever saw Paint the Night parade you would love to see it at Disney World. And the music ..... it is great. Hope it get here soon.

If you ever saw Paint the Night parade you would love to see it at Disney World. And the music ..... it is great. Hope it get here soon.

I thought the music was better than MSEP, but nowhere near as good as Spectro. It's mostly just that song from Wreck it Ralph.

Last edited:
As someone who grew up in Southern California, and I was 6 when MSEP left Disneyland, I was so happy to see it return there in January. I actually made a quick trip to California suddenly (not to see the MSEP), but I added 3 Disneyland days so I could relive my young childhood. The MSEP is a big part of the history of Disneyland. I never saw such a vibe around that park for a parade. Yes, Paint the Night brought a certain vibe since their hadn't been a nighttime parade inside Disneyland since the MSEP left in the 90's. I talked to so many people saying that this parade was their childhood and they were so happy to see it home. I know a lot of you are upset that it left WDW (I was to, because I had a trip planned in December), but it's great to see that parade return home when it was originally announced that the parade would never return to Disneyland. The parade even has its own window on Main Street at Disneyland for that reason! Now, it's home for a little while.

In terms of the original post. I think WDW will get a nighttime parade for the 50th. I doubt it will happen until then. On my December trip, there was so much to do that I didn't really think about the MSEP not being there. As others have said, it was great to walk around without everyone waiting for a parade.

As someone who grew up in Southern California, and I was 6 when MSEP left Disneyland, I was so happy to see it return there in January. I actually made a quick trip to California suddenly (not to see the MSEP), but I added 3 Disneyland days so I could relive my young childhood. The MSEP is a big part of the history of Disneyland. I never saw such a vibe around that park for a parade. Yes, Paint the Night brought a certain vibe since their hadn't been a nighttime parade inside Disneyland since the MSEP left in the 90's. I talked to so many people saying that this parade was their childhood and they were so happy to see it home. I know a lot of you are upset that it left WDW (I was to, because I had a trip planned in December), but it's great to see that parade return home when it was originally announced that the parade would never return to Disneyland. The parade even has its own window on Main Street at Disneyland for that reason! Now, it's home for a little while.

In terms of the original post. I think WDW will get a nighttime parade for the 50th. I doubt it will happen until then. On my December trip, there was so much to do that I didn't really think about the MSEP not being there. As others have said, it was great to walk around without everyone waiting for a parade.

Thank you! Everyone seems so mad that WDW World won't have a nighttime parade until the 50th but I was a very young kid last time I saw the MSEP in Disneyland (mind you I am 19 and I am pretty sure I was in the 3-5 rage when I saw it there.) but we didn't have a nighttime parade for years until PTN came along! I am sure they will get some amazing parade for their 50th just as Disneyland did for the 60th. (I can't remember the 50th anniversary parade to be honest, I was only around 8.) I really only remember MSEP in WDW. They just have to wait a while. I was in DL in November and they did Soundsational at 10PM and it was just terrible. Not lit up enough and very thrown together if you ask me. We go to WDW every August and I personally would rather see a GOOD night time parade of PTN caliber versus some thrown together parade that is not worth your time. While I would love PTN to come to WDW personally I think the DL Paris Parade 'Fantillusions' would be an awesome addition, but I know that is a pipe dream that will NEVER HAPPEN.

While I would love PTN to come to WDW personally I think the DL Paris Parade 'Fantillusions' would be an awesome addition, but I know that is a pipe dream that will NEVER HAPPEN

I think that would be a perfect idea, too. I've been saying the same thing over on wdwmagic. It would be perfect for WDW. We'll just have to wait and see.... Dreams can come true!

I was so upset. I chose not to go to DL last year so we could do the wdw trip this nov-dec. LOL In the early planning wdw I was like "Oh cool My son can see the MSEP. I loved it as a child. Now it's in DL and closing this summer. LOL I wish it would be back in NOV to wdw.

And this thread now has illustrated why I think all the misdirection towards parades and fireworks is damaging...

They are not investing enough In Attractions and haven't since iger took over. They're letting the real, value things decay and that is antithetical to what made the place great in the first place: consistent, diligent reinvestment.

A parade isn't worth $125 a day and never will be. The RIDES and daily shows are where the value always has been.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter