When will you go back to normal?

When will you return to your pre-Coronavirus daily routine and habits?

• As soon as restrictions are loosened

• Summer 2020

• Fall 2020

• Winter 2020

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don’t think anyone wants everything shut down indefinitely. I have not seen or heard a single person say this.

Maybe a person hasn't said this directly, but there are people even on the DIS who seem to accept staying this way for "however long it takes" or at least past June. IMO we need to have a plan and execute long before then. If you are in an area where the curve was flattened and hospitals and not overwhelmed we are doing HUGE damage to the economy. People are going to continue to get sick. However, if it is at rates the local hospitals can handle, that is what we need to accept. But we need to try to see what that looks like sooner rather than later.

Maybe a person hasn't said this directly, but there are people even on the DIS who seem to accept staying this way for "however long it takes" or at least past June. IMO we need to have a plan and execute long before then. If you are in an area where the curve was flattened and hospitals and not overwhelmed we are doing HUGE damage to the economy. People are going to continue to get sick. However, if it is at rates the local hospitals can handle, that is what we need to accept. But we need to try to see what that looks like sooner rather than later.

My point is that nobody WANTS that. And to make the case that anyone does seems wrong to me.

I'm all for getting back to normal sooner rather than later but to announce this now when the death numbers keep climbing daily is a bad idea. At least in Europe the numbers started to drop before opening the country as a hole.

As soon as restrictions are lifted.

I saw someone saying things like "I will never have a piece of cake that someone blew out the candles on ever again" and similar sentiments.

Listen.

When it's my time to go, it's my time to go. If that's because of a virus I contracted from a piece of birthday cake, then that's how it goes. This germophobic silliness is just that: silliness. I'm not going to stop shaking people's hands, or go running to the sink to wash my hands immediately after. I'm not going to be afraid to stand next to people in the grocery store, or a restaurant, or a theme park, or anywhere else. I'm not going to cower every time someone around me coughs or sneezes. I'm not going to carry a bottle of hand sanitizer around in my bag. (And I say this as someone who was so ill in January - possibly with C19, based on symptoms and situational factors - that I told my mother to do a wellness check because I couldn't breathe.)

There are times when extreme cleanliness, disinfecting, and sterile environments are necessary. I will, of course, always wash my hands before holding someone's baby, and if I've been sick any time within the last two weeks, I will not get anywhere near a baby. I will always carefully wash my hands before going to see a loved one in the hospital. I will wear a mask if I have to go out and around people when I'm ill, but still do my best to stay home, and will absolutely stay home if I have a fever. My job also requires sterilized environments and instruments, and that's fine. I wash my hands after lifting weights because gyms have always been gross. These have always been my policies, and they are basic hygiene and safety.

But I'm not going to fear my friends or family. I'm not going to be afraid to be in public. I'm not going to be afraid to shake hands, hug people, clink glasses, or eat birthday cake. I'm just not.

I really, really wish I could "like" this post 1000X. So well said.

There are several different kinds of people out there right now but here's two kinds:

1) Those that will not accept that any presence of the virus is allowable
2) Those who accept that the virus will likely be around us (it's already strongly suggested it will be seasonal) and make decisions from there

I never said "normal" in this context. Our systems are not designed for millions of people to sign up for unemployment for several weeks at a time, our businesses as a whole are not set up for their livlihoods that they can simply close up shop, then reopen, then close, then reopen nor would employees even want that, there's no steady stream of income, our social construct of being able to touch someone is not set up for it's ok to be close, touch one another, hug one another one day but then halt that behavior for a defined time period, then back up again, our school system is not set up to be in person for a while then online for a while nor do we have it set up on a mass scale for online; there's online schools but they represent a minority in how our school system is set up. That is what I was referring to and that is what they meant when they spoke of the negative consequences to such intermittent social distancing.

I am most definitely the second kind. Unless/until there is a vaccine, this virus will be around. It just will. And eventually people are going to have to deal with that reality and decide how they personally will deal with it. My philosophy is life is meant to be lived. I know some people are dealing with this lockdown fine and dandy, but I'm not.

I am most definitely the second kind. Unless/until there is a vaccine, this virus will be around. It just will. And eventually people are going to have to deal with that reality and decide how they personally will deal with it. My philosophy is life is meant to be lived. I know some people are dealing with this lockdown fine and dandy, but I'm not.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m not fine and dandy, either. I’m managing. I’m trying to get something good out of every day. I’m realizing things are out of my control. I have anxiety, so staying positive is hard, but I am trying.

I agree that life is to be lived, but I have a 9 year old and I need to stay healthy.

This is going to be a long, strange journey. I’m just keeping my faith in science and hoping they come through for us sooner than later.

To bring some levity to the situation I am kinda interested at the fact that what is allowed is described as "Moving to a friend's home for several days after arguments at home"..that is a very specific statement to a specific scenario.

I AM SO GLAD SOMEONE ELSE POINTED THAT OUT. I feel terrible for laughing, because I know that is a very serious situation, but it reminds me of the subreddit, "Oddly Specific."

To bring some levity to the situation I am kinda interested at the fact that what is allowed is described as "Moving to a friend's home for several days after arguments at home"..that is a very specific statement to a specific scenario.

Said by my 16 year old daughter last night when she was upset she couldn’t hang out with her BFF. Her solution is to move in with her BFF.

a tad inconsiderate and selfish
I guess me and nearly half the people who responded to this thread, and all of the people who agreed with my reply, too.

I also think you're a tad rude, as you don't know me and therefore are in no position to call me selfish.

If you actually read my reply (which I'll assume you didn't, since you left all of it out of your quote and simply cherry-picked my post for what fit your narrative) I made it abundantly clear - if I am unwell, then I will do my part to avoid getting others sick, just as I always have. That is part of my "normal."

I have never gone to work, school, or out in public with a fever, because I recall my dad telling me when I was a child, "if you have a fever, you're contagious." I also have always had a two-week rule following any illness symptoms, because again from my parents: "you can get others sick for as long as two weeks after you don't feel sick anymore." They were ahead of everyone on this, apparently.

When unwell and for a period of two weeks after, I have always minimized going out anywhere, and for the last ten years or so have worn a mask if I absolutely had to go out. When unwell and for a period of two weeks after, I have always avoided contact with vulnerable populations (babies, elderly, immunocompromised), always declined physical contact with people ("I'm going to pass on shaking your hand because I was sick last week," "I'd hug you, but I haven't felt well"), always avoided friends and family, always stayed out of crowded places. I never went to the gym or movies or anywhere else I would interact with objects that other people might touch. (Yes, that includes the grocery store; I have someone else get my groceries so that I don't touch food other people will buy.)

When healthy, I have always washed my hands appropriately (not just when I was in a public bathroom and thought someone would judge me if I didn't), always washed my hands directly before being in contact with vulnerable populations or refused to interact if I was unable to do so ("I'd love to hold your baby, but I haven't had a chance to wash my hands"), always washed my hands before and after lifting weights at the gym. And to add, I never shared drinks with people, and I never touched anyone who didn't consent to being touched (never shook hands with someone who didn't want to shake my hand, never hugged anyone who didn't want to be hugged. Maybe they're sick, maybe they're a germophobe, maybe they just don't like having their space encroached on, but if they don't want me to touch them, I don't).

These rules are basic hygiene and basic courtesy. Everyone should have always been doing these things. I have always done these things, and will continue to do so.

What I am not going to do: be afraid of others like everyone is trying to make us be. And I'm not going to be shamed for that, either. I stand by the fact I won't be afraid of my loved ones because I might catch something. I'm not going to avoid human contact because I might catch something. I'm not going to decline food and drink and celebrations because I'm scared I'm going to catch something. I'm not going to be scared of others in the grocery store, or spend an hour sanitizing and repackaging my food when I get home. When I am healthy and well, I will still shake hands, hold babies, hug friends and family, spend time with people, and enjoy life. When I am not, I will stay home, avoid contact, and do my best to avoid transmitting to others - but that isn't something that's just now come about because of C19. That is part of normal, and should have always been.

Those who want to live in fear of everyone around them are free to do so. Stay home every hour of your life that you are not at work or in the grocery store. Don't hug your friends or family when you're perfectly healthy. That's your choice. If I ever come in contact with you, be sure to tell me you don't want to shake hands or hug, because as always, I will not touch someone who doesn't consent to being touched.

I will protect others as I have always done. But I will also assume that others are doing the same, as I always have. And I acknowledge that sometimes they aren't, and that means I might get sick - and when I do, see above. That is my normal, and I will absolutely return to it as soon as I am permitted to. If that makes me selfish, then whatever. Life is for living, not huddling up in your house being scared of everyone. I am not going to hole up and be scared of everyone. I'm just not.

I guess me and nearly half the people who responded to this thread, and all of the people who agreed with my reply, too.

I also think you're a tad rude, as you don't know me and therefore are in no position to call me selfish.

If you actually read my reply (which I'll assume you didn't, since you left all of it out of your quote and simply cherry-picked my post for what fit your narrative) I made it abundantly clear - if I am unwell, then I will do my part to avoid getting others sick, just as I always have. That is part of my "normal."

I have never gone to work, school, or out in public with a fever, because I recall my dad telling me when I was a child, "if you have a fever, you're contagious." I also have always had a two-week rule following any illness symptoms, because again from my parents: "you can get others sick for as long as two weeks after you don't feel sick anymore." They were ahead of everyone on this, apparently.

When unwell and for a period of two weeks after, I have always minimized going out anywhere, and for the last ten years or so have worn a mask if I absolutely had to go out. When unwell and for a period of two weeks after, I have always avoided contact with vulnerable populations (babies, elderly, immunocompromised), always declined physical contact with people ("I'm going to pass on shaking your hand because I was sick last week," "I'd hug you, but I haven't felt well"), always avoided friends and family, always stayed out of crowded places. I never went to the gym or movies or anywhere else I would interact with objects that other people might touch. (Yes, that includes the grocery store; I have someone else get my groceries so that I don't touch food other people will buy.)

When healthy, I have always washed my hands appropriately (not just when I was in a public bathroom and thought someone would judge me if I didn't), always washed my hands directly before being in contact with vulnerable populations or refused to interact if I was unable to do so ("I'd love to hold your baby, but I haven't had a chance to wash my hands"), always washed my hands before and after lifting weights at the gym. And to add, I never shared drinks with people, and I never touched anyone who didn't consent to being touched (never shook hands with someone who didn't want to shake my hand, never hugged anyone who didn't want to be hugged. Maybe they're sick, maybe they're a germophobe, maybe they just don't like having their space encroached on, but if they don't want me to touch them, I don't).

These rules are basic hygiene and basic courtesy. Everyone should have always been doing these things. I have always done these things, and will continue to do so.

What I am not going to do: be afraid of others like everyone is trying to make us be. And I'm not going to be shamed for that, either. I stand by the fact I won't be afraid of my loved ones because I might catch something. I'm not going to avoid human contact because I might catch something. I'm not going to decline food and drink and celebrations because I'm scared I'm going to catch something. I'm not going to be scared of others in the grocery store, or spend an hour sanitizing and repackaging my food when I get home. When I am healthy and well, I will still shake hands, hold babies, hug friends and family, spend time with people, and enjoy life. When I am not, I will stay home, avoid contact, and do my best to avoid transmitting to others - but that isn't something that's just now come about because of C19. That is part of normal, and should have always been.

Those who want to live in fear of everyone around them are free to do so. Stay home every hour of your life that you are not at work or in the grocery store. Don't hug your friends or family when you're perfectly healthy. That's your choice. If I ever come in contact with you, be sure to tell me you don't want to shake hands or hug, because as always, I will not touch someone who doesn't consent to being touched.

I will protect others as I have always done. But I will also assume that others are doing the same, as I always have. And I acknowledge that sometimes they aren't, and that means I might get sick - and when I do, see above. That is my normal, and I will absolutely return to it as soon as I am permitted to. If that makes me selfish, then whatever. Life is for living, not huddling up in your house being scared of everyone. I am not going to hole up and be scared of everyone. I'm just not.
The problem is that you could be an asymptomatic carrier. You are not selfish. You can take all the hygenic precautions and still get someone else sick. I hate this stupid virus.

Normal never really stopped for me. All I do is work and sit around at home normally and my job is considered essential.

The only things that changed were less trips to shopping/eating (other relatives are doing arranged grocery pickup for everyone) and this delayed my plans to renovate my house which I still really wanna do.

You might say it made me more busier since I have to consume time with more cooking/cleaning at home.

The problem is that you could be an asymptomatic carrier. You are not selfish. You can take all the hygenic precautions and still get someone else sick. I hate this stupid virus.
Even if you develop symptoms, you could expose others during the 5 - 14 days you are contagious but don’t know it. That’s one of the big dangers with this virus, with the flu you come down with symptoms a day or two after you have been exposed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter