Where and Why? Favourite food places tell me more !!!

wifey

DIS Veteran
:confused3 Just in case you missed my earlier posted question i'm asking everyone. Where do you eat when you visit DLP and why do you like the place/food etc ? :wave: . I'm sure SimonV would also be interested now he's editing another book for 06. So folks keep your info pouring in and many thanks to all ! :lovestruc :teeth: Wifey

In no particular order. Annette's Diner as we love the food and atmosphere. Planet Hollywood which we tried for the first time fajitas were superbe. Cowboy Cookout for the best burgers :goodvibes Plaza Gardens for their great buffet. Pizza Outpost for the location and theming, not bad food.

I'll maybe add a few more later as I'm off to get some food :teeth:

Reid

We loved:

Auberge de Cendrillon. Fantastic setting with the story of Cinderella on the walls around you (sounds naff but it's not, beautifully executed) with food cooked to perfection. The white chocolate slipper is to die for :love: This will appeal to girls more than boys though I would suggest ;)

Annette's Diner - fun food, fun setting, quite laidback, just all round good fun. Fantastic milkshakes :) Relatively cheap for a DLP table service (I'm thinking 50 Euros for 2 adults & 2 children roughly)

Beaver Creek Tavern at SL. We enjoyed the food here more than we expected to!

Blue Lagoon - amazing setting by the POC ride. Fabulous atmosphere. Wonderful food - particularly good for seafood lovers (though there are non seafood options)

Two we would not do again were the Steakhouse & Cafe Mickey. I think we were unlucky with Cafe Mickey as everyone else seems to love it here but I can only speak for my own experience which was that the food was mediocre and the character experience less than stellar. The Steakhouse gave us possibly our worst meal I have had anywhere ever (and I've had a few!)

Overall though we were really pleased with our dining experiences at DLP :)

I agree with Karen on a couple of points-the Steakhouse was also by far our worst meal ever in the park, and we also did not enjoy Cafe Mickey and have given it a few chances. We enjoyed the Blue Lagoon but more for the atmosphere than the food. I LOVE seafood but the meal we had at Blue Lagoon was not great but I would definately try it again as it may just have been an off day and its worth it for the absolutely wonderful atmosphere alone. We also enjoy Annette's Diner and the rainforest cafe once again not for the food but for the wonderful atmosphere. Our favourite restaurant (for the quality of food) was Inventions in the DLH. We also tried Lucky Nugget last time for the character brunch which was good. We have never tried Auberge de Cendrillon but am looking forward to it at Christmas.

All the info we are reading from you wonderful people is proving invaluable, especially as we have a picky eater DS (although he is getting adventuresome recently) so it goes without saying you are a remarkable source of views and tips. The one about taking our own snacks is particularly good if the resort charges so much for them! :earseek: LOL After looking at the food reviews and reading your comments we will probably narrow down the choices by October :goodvibes .Just started reading SimonV's book so lots more info to take in :teeth: Don't want to miss anything :wave: Wifey

Planet hollywood especially with teenagers in tow.

Cafe hyperion (spell?) in the park , near Space Mountain. Food ordinary counter burger , chips etc. We recommend eating here because you can watch the show at the same time as eating your meal. We've done this over several years & have never been dissppointed in the view. ALSO ideal when kids were younger. On our last visit it saved loads of time not having to queue for Lion king tickets.

Buffett at Davy Crockett ranch , ate here twice on our last visit as it was so convenient & food & prices good too.

We also took a recommendation out of Simon's book & ate at the Chinese at the Val de Europe ? Shopping centre. Great food, big portions would def eat there again.

Annette's Diner is still my ultimate favourite. Great food, huge portions, and relatively inexpensive (for Disney). It has a great atmosphere, too. Another great restaurant is King Ludwig's Castle, which had great theming. If you like German style food, I would recommend this place. The Beaver Creek Tavern at Sequoia Lodge was also lovely and not too expensive for a table service restaurant.

As for counter service restaurants, I really like Pizzeria Bella Notte and Cowboy Cookout Barbecue. I didn't expect to like the chicken at the latter as it looked a bit messy, but it was really tasty. It's all very "McDonaldsish" but a little bit better and more fun, too. Nice and cheap.

The only restaurant I personally wouldn't recommend is the Rainforest Café. We didn't really enjoy the food and thought it was way too expensive for what it was, but I seem to be in the minority as other people think it's great. :)

Annette's Diner and Planet Holywood out of the park and Cafe Hyperion in the park (just for the show - nice to have a view while you eat!)

Just out of interest "Is there a shop close by that sells proper chocolates"? :goodvibes
We usually get our from a company by post who source their chocs from european chocolatieres( all hand made) and would love to buy while some while we are there. Don't have time to fit in a trip to Paris. :) :lovestruc Wifey

We've been impressed by the Lucky Nugget in Frontierland and its character buffet. Lots of food and good character interaction plus some live entertainment.

Wifey - I am really sorry but I've never been to Val d'Europe so can't help you!

Anyone else?

Hi Wifey

There is a really good chocolate shop in Val de Europe. We make a point of visiting it whenever we are in Disney, it has the most gorgeous chocolate. Best time of year to visit is Easter obviously, the detail then is fantastic, but overall anytime is a good time to visit!!
:cheer2:
Anne MAria

I am not a fan of DLP food. I like Annetes Diner, but be warned, if you get a burger with fried onions, these are soft and stewed rather than fried. Annetts special sause is a mayonise/ketchup mixture.

For a nice meal, Innovations at the Disneyland Hotel is a good buffet, but pricey. PLanet Hollywood I have always felt to be a let down here, it is as if they canot quiet cope with the volume of buisness, so the quality is lower than elsewhere.

The Rainforest Cafe is good, but unless you want a quick bite I woukld stay away from the food in the park.

Our food experiences are quite good. I accept some of the prices are expensive, but I'm in Disney :goodvibes

Reid

We can get our chocolate fix while we visit then !!! ;) Proper chocolate tastes so much better than the mass produced stuff!!! ;) ,Keep the food reviews coming as we still have to decide where to eat on our trip, the Lucky Nugget sounds good and Annette's Diner and Pizzaria Bella Notte seems to be acceptable (as long as they have bbq chicken pizza for DH). Has anyone been to Colonel Hathi's Outpost, what's the food like?May also think about Billy Bob's Saloon and the hotel eateries sound decent. :teeth:
Still lots to think about, :wave2: :lovestruc Wifey

Col Hathi's is ok - usual pizzas etc. I would highly recommend Billy Bob's. There are several floors - you can eat on the first floor (second floor if you're American!!) which looks down over the dance floor and stage but the very top floor (called "La Grange") has an all-you-can-eat buffet which is enormous and really delicious!!

:flower: Thanks for that info it sounds really impressive! :flower: And good value too, I"ll be sure to show it to DH he has a say too after all!!

Here's what I wrote about The Blue Lagoon a while back:

Blue Lagoon is our fave DLRP restaurant - in fact it's our favourite restaurant in the whole world! It's so much better than the version they have in Tokyo, which is a big huge open plan restaurant, called The Blue Bayou.

The fact that it is housed and themed along with my favourite ride is a big bonus but even as a stand alone restaurant it is superb. It's the ultimate restaurant for a romantic meal but equally as much fun if have kids with you.

The setting is exquisite as you sit in amongst palm trees and by the beach. It's a piece of extra paradise in paradise - if that makes any sense? It's fun watching the boats go by and they are subtle to enough to add to the atmosphere rather than overwhelm it.

The food is second to none in the park, for us anyway. As lovers of seafood it never fails to impress. Emperor fish, tiger prawns, red snapper, tuna - the list goes on! Plus they have some great cocktails (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) to give it that complete 'Caribbean experience'.

What better way to finish off the occasion than with a post-meal ride on Pirates of the Caribbean and a look around Le Coffre du Capitaine which is finally stocking more Pirates of the Caribbean merchandise rather than just generic pirate stuff.

The Blue Lagoon - the ultimate dining experience! We've had some fantastic meals there in the past and have eaten there on my 30th birthday as well as on our honeymoon. I can't compliment this restaurant enough - though I had a good try

King Ludwigs - the service is among the best in the park - very fast and friendly with great food at a reasonable price.

Casey's Corner - this is our favourite lunching location with the best hot dogs in the world! Gotta love the melting cheese sauce.

Pizzeria Bella Notte - another good lunching place with some nice pizzas and pastas.

I can never understand how DLRP gets a reputation for expensive food - the top restaurants like The Blue Lagoon are far cheaper than a lot of restaurants that I go to and the theming is not a patch on TBL. I find the lunching places compare favourably to eateries of a similar ilk outside the park too. They may be more expensive than Burger King and McDonalds but then the food is far better, though so is the average fried slug so it's not a hard level to beat!

Interested to see people's King Ludwig's experiences as based on our summer visit we would not be in a hurry to go back.

Reid

Hi Wifey,

Sorry to take so long to respond, but our favourite eateries [is that a word?] are: Plaza gardens, Walts, Innventions and The Blue lagoon.

They're in no particular - but for enjoyability and fun in good surroundings I would recommend Plaza gardens and Blue Lagoon

And for good food I would say Walts and Innventions.

The staff in Walts were above and beyond the call of duty, and while my husband and I would have eaten there daily [beautiful scenery, haven of tranquility etc etc] the children enjoy more rowdy environments.

We all liked Innventions and saw loads of characters. :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter