Where are you staying for Marathon weekend?

Staying at Boardwalk villas in a one bedroom. I am doing the dopey challenge so it will be nice to have the space to spread out and nap. Also good to have laundry facilities. I can pack less that way.

At a Springhill Suites over on the far side of WDW from the 4 when we get there on the 29th And then switching to the French Quarter on the 3rd.

I'm having a hard time making some decisions! Where are you staying for Marathon weekend? Are you staying with your families? Thinking about the logistics of getting ready on race morning/resting the evening before when we will have 2 runners and 3 non-runners, one being an energetic 7yo.

VP

My situation is similar to yours, and we've had several different experiences. First, with kids in the mix, we have consistently stayed deluxe for race weekends. I might consider values for race days at some point in the future when the kids are grown. For this January, we'll stay value for a few days with our youngest before Marathon Weekend. But when Marathon Weekend starts and our teens arrive, we'll move over to BWI.

Quick overview of our WDW race weekend experiences:

1. BWI CL 2-bedroom suite. This was (and still is) a favorite. Last time, we booked standard CL and ended up in a CL 2-bedroom suite. It was perfect and ideal in every way. (Only exception: no in-room laundry, but it was one floor down.) Plenty of space, kids in another room when I was getting to sleep so early, all the convenience of the club lounge (key with kids eating breakfast at different times, and for desserts when I was trying to get to sleep.) And then I didn't bug anyone when I was up early for races. We also like the Epcot area because there are so many dining options outside the parks and within walking distance - Blue Zoo, Il Mulino, Yachtsman, Flying Fish, Beaches N Cream, just to name a few that are or have been on our ADR list. Makes it easy to get to dinner and get to sleep early.

2. Poly CL. This was great, but I did miss that extra space that we had in the 2-bedroom suite! I also missed the camaraderie that we saw in the BWI lounge. The lounge space (and view) at Poly is definitely better than BWI and it's nice for the kids to be able to watch the fireworks from the lounge when I'm getting to sleep early. Also, Poly is very convenient for spectators because they can see runners at TTC, then outside Poly and then venture out to other viewing locations. I don't love taking the monorail to the start, but I know some really enjoy that.

3. Poly DVC Studio. Probably my least favorite so far. I do love the studio decor and the two bathrooms are AMAZING!!! Very convenient with multiple runners! But the bathrooms take up a lot of space and it gets super cramped in there when our entire family is along. Also, I missed CL for a race weekend - especially when I returned from a race and everyone needed me to come up with a breakfast plan.

So back to BWI CL for Marathon Weekend this time. Booked standard and won't have the same space as the 2-bedroom, but will enjoy the rest!

Room discounts are out now for Marathon weekend as part of the "Gift of Magic" promotion. Up to 25% at Deluxe; up to 20% at Moderates; up to 15% at Values.

I was able to go back and get a discount on our two-night stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge (our Little Mermaid room at AoA that we're in during the events themselves isn't included in the promotion) and save a few hundred dollars. What I liked was that I was able to make the change through My Disney Experience and didn't have to wait on hold for someone at the reservation phone line. Easy peasy!

Okay, update from the OP here! I changed resorts SO many times but had come to a big conclusion this morning right before the Disney website crashed. Now I'm back to decision making!

We learned that my husband has enough Starwood points for a week of our stay, so the last 7 days will be at Dolphin for free. The first 4 nights we need to stay elsewhere, and that will include the half-marathon (on check-out day.) Luckily, he's platinum with Starwood so we can pretty much check in any time we want on that day. Only my daughter and I are running, so my husband can check us in at Dolphin any time.

So now I am deciding those first 4 nights (possibly 3 if we change our flights.) I am stuck between Poly and Yacht Club. (I really want Beach Club but the YC price is pretty appealing.) We had originally settled with all 10-11 nights in a Fort Wilderness Cabin, but changed our minds.

So for race morning, which would be easier for us transport-wise? Yacht or Poly? I am torn in every way. I would love to have a split stay in two resort areas, but since the parks are super packed for the first part of our stay, being in walking distance from two parks sounds like a great idea. Yacht is also cheaper. I assume we have to take a bus from YC to the starting line?

Suggestions? I'm stuck again!

Thanks!

VP

So for race morning, which would be easier for us transport-wise? Yacht or Poly? I am torn in every way. I would love to have a split stay in two resort areas, but since the parks are super packed for the first part of our stay, being in walking distance from two parks sounds like a great idea. Yacht is also cheaper. I assume we have to take a bus from YC to the starting line?

Thanks!

VP

We stay at the BCVs for the marathon and love the location. I've never stayed at a MK resort but from what I've learned the monorail is the "way" to go for transportation to/from the marathon or half. You will have to take a bus to the starting line from the YC, but if you have the right park ticket; hopper or AP you can walk back through Epcot. I personally enjoy the access to Epcot and Boardwalk after a race. You'll do great and have a good time with either selection! Have fun and good luck with the race!

We stay at the BCVs for the marathon and love the location. I've never stayed at a MK resort but from what I've learned the monorail is the "way" to go for transportation to/from the marathon or half. You will have to take a bus to the starting line from the YC, but if you have the right park ticket; hopper or AP you can walk back through Epcot. I personally enjoy the access to Epcot and Boardwalk after a race. You'll do great and have a good time with either selection! Have fun and good luck with the race!

We've stayed at Poly and BWI for race weekends, and will return to BWI for Marathon Weekend in a few months. I know many runners love the monorail to/fro the races, but I prefer the bus. It's heated, it's quick (at least it has been in my experience) and it's right there at the finish (rather than walking back to the Epcot station from the race area - I'm fine to walk, but don't love doing that in sweaty race clothes.) And for a transfer, nice to just walk over to Dolphin! Great to save some money. And really enjoy the ability to walk to two parks (especially Epcot for dinner!)

Okay, I finally did it! Booked Yacht, followed by Dolphin! We've spent a lot of time in the MK area and only stayed 2 nights at the Swan about 11 years ago, so this will be a very fun change of pace. I'm so excited! Thanks for the guidance!

VP

Okay, update from the OP here! I changed resorts SO many times but had come to a big conclusion this morning right before the Disney website crashed. Now I'm back to decision making!

We learned that my husband has enough Starwood points for a week of our stay, so the last 7 days will be at Dolphin for free. The first 4 nights we need to stay elsewhere, and that will include the half-marathon (on check-out day.) Luckily, he's platinum with Starwood so we can pretty much check in any time we want on that day. Only my daughter and I are running, so my husband can check us in at Dolphin any time.

So now I am deciding those first 4 nights (possibly 3 if we change our flights.) I am stuck between Poly and Yacht Club. (I really want Beach Club but the YC price is pretty appealing.) We had originally settled with all 10-11 nights in a Fort Wilderness Cabin, but changed our minds.

Thanks!

VP
I stayed at Beach Club this year and loved the location. I think you are good either way.

Staying at the Beach Club Villas (Studio) for the first time by renting points! I'm running the half, and looking forward to spectating the marathon on Sunday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter