Where are you staying for Marathon weekend?

We plan to stay off property, for my first runDisney Marathon, because we are on vacation and also planning to celebrate new year at WDW.

I read somewhere that Pop Century has "running" paths - are they any good? I am starting to think out my last couple shake out runs (plus post half marathon day walks). Rory
You can definitely add up some distance in a loop between Pop Century and Art of Animation. There are paved paths circling the resorts and Hourglass Lake. I've even seen a security guard on bike patrol!

You can definitely add up some distance in a loop between Pop Century and Art of Animation. There are paved paths circling the resorts and Hourglass Lake. I've even seen a security guard on bike patrol!
I decided to try to look it up, after much digging it is a 1.38-mile loop - which is respectable for me. May need to go around 2 or 3 times, but I've done worse :) The security bike patrol is kind of funny though, I'll have to keep an eye out!

I decided to try to look it up, after much digging it is a 1.38-mile loop - which is respectable for me. May need to go around 2 or 3 times, but I've done worse :) The security bike patrol is kind of funny though, I'll have to keep an eye out!
FWIW, my Garmin clocked it at 1.24 miles consistently while I was there in April.

FWIW, my Garmin clocked it at 1.24 miles consistently while I was there in April.

The sign on the path states 1.25 mi, so that completely agrees with your Garmin.

Staying at Kidani...was hoping to stay at Bay Lake but it was booked up at the 7 month DVC window. It's our home resort do it should be fine & we will be spending the first couple of days at the resort only so it should still be lovely.

Staying at Kidani...was hoping to stay at Bay Lake but it was booked up at the 7 month DVC window. It's our home resort do it should be fine & we will be spending the first couple of days at the resort only so it should still be lovely.

We were hoping to stay at Bay Lake as well, and are on the wait list there. Currently we have a two bedroom at Old Key West.

First timer here. Doing the half and trying to decide between Port Orleans and Coronado Springs. Haven't stayed at either as we usually stay at DVC Resorts.
It will most likely be a short, solo trip. Currently waitlisted at AK and SSR but not banking on it.
Where would you stay and why? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

First timer here. Doing the half and trying to decide between Port Orleans and Coronado Springs. Haven't stayed at either as we usually stay at DVC Resorts.
It will most likely be a short, solo trip. Currently waitlisted at AK and SSR but not banking on it.
Which Port Orleans?

My first choice would be Port Orleans French Quarter. :) Very pretty, compact resort. Just 1 bus stop, where the other two have internal stops. You really can't go wrong with any of them though.

I've done Port Orleans Riverside for marathon weekend and it was great I would highly recommend it.

I've done Port Orleans Riverside for marathon weekend and it was great I would highly recommend it.
Agreed, I should have mentioned - I've stay at Riverside and French Quarter for race weekends and they have both been great. I have not stayed at Coronado Springs for a race weekend yet. :)

I have stayed at all three (French Quarter, Riverside and Coronado Springs) and enjoy all of them. From a race perspective, though, I would rank them as follows: French Quarter > Riverside > Coronado. The size is the primary factor for me. Coronado is huge and it can be a 3/4-mile walk one way from some of the further buildings to the food court where the only drink stations are. Even with adequate bus service to the races, that kind of walking does not appeal to me after running a race! French Quarter is very small and lacks some of the amenities of the other two (a table service restaurant being the major one), but from a tired legs after racing standpoint its size becomes a significant plus. Riverside falls somewhere in between size-wise. Last Marathon Weekend I stayed at French Quarter and liked it so much I went back for SWDS and am booked there for 2017 Marathon Weekend.

Stayed at POR for each of my five Marathon Weekends so far and haven't had any reason to switch. We have a larger group coming and are staying for a longer duration so it made more sense to stay off-site this year; but I think I am going to be experiencing some POR withdrawal when the races roll around.

I'm sure whichever resort you choose will be great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter