Where Can We Get One of Those Whip Things? A Wine & Dine TR (Nov. 2019)

pkondz

. . Dis Dad #797 . . Hoping to get lucky
Very true! I'd also bought an off brand of guards on Amazon that the reviews said were wonderful...next time, I'll stick to Band Aid brand
So upon review... not so wonderful...
If I had sat down and allowed my muscles to tighten up, I probably wouldn't have been able to move for days :rotfl:
No! Not in Disney!

If you had work the next day... that's okay.
I've had 2 meals at Mama Melrose's now and it hasn't disappointed. It's not life altering food but it's very tasty!
One of my best meals at Disney was there. :)
He's STILL complaining that they should warn you in advance that there's a button to push!
:laughing:

LeiaIsAPrincess2

Mouseketeer
I hope everyone is surviving this winter! I can't wait until my April trip to WDW, I'm so sick of the cold and snow! Apologies for the crazy amount of pictures in this update, but how can you go to Animal Kingdom without taking a zillion pictures?!

Monday, Nov. 4th

No running today! And it was my birthday! When I booked our trip, I knew I wanted to spend my birthday at Animal Kingdom, I wanted to do a special tour, and I wanted to have a nice meal...would we check all the boxes???

We slept until about 8am today and used some snack credits at Sassagoula for some cinnamon rolls, which were fairly dry.

Then my dad made us go back to the room because he forgot he’d brought me a birthday card and it was still in his bag 😍 Then we headed to the buses and made it to AK around 9:20. I’d asked Kitty and her dad if they wanted to join us on our tour and lunch at Tiffins today but she thought they were leaving early. Then, right before our trip she changed her departure until later in the day but our tour was sold out but I was able to add her to our ADR. As we were on the bus, she texted me to say she was already at AK and our tour had a last minute cancellation so she’d be joining us! Birthday magic!

The tour I booked was Up Close with the Rhinos and I couldn’t wait. They require closed in shoes, so I had to shove my poor feet into my sneakers again, but I brought a large backpack with sandals for later. We watched the monkeys and storks for a bit and walked some of the Gorilla Trail to pass the time until check in, then met Kitty at the tour kiosk. She’d already gotten herself a dole whip and my dad was looking very interested in that possibility for later!

The tour was amazing! We took a van backstage to the rhino barn and they talked a little bit about how the house and care for them, then we went behind the barn to meet our rhino for the day. Mr. Dugan had decided to be our superstar and he came right up to the fence so we could pet him. His skin was NOT what I was expecting! I was thinking more like a cow or bristly like an elephant but it was super rough like sandpaper. He seemed to be enjoying himself and leaned right in for more attention. The CM’s were excellent at answering questions and they also took some pictures with a special frame when we got back into the park. I was so impressed and delighted with this tour.

We were hot and thirsty afterwards and I desperately needed to change shoes so we stopped at the Starbucks for drinks- this was my dad’s first Starbucks experience, since he doesn’t drink coffee! I think he had a flavored ice tea and Kitty and I got frappuccinos. I thought mine would be free for my birthday but they didn’t do that in the parks. No worries, I have plenty of gift cards :) We grabbed a table outside to drink and I carefully peeled my shoes and socks off my blisters and switched to sandals. Completely worth having to carry a big bag around all day!

Our Tiffins lunch was at 1pm and Dad and I had the Rivers of Light package since it gave us a free appetizer on the dining plan. I didn’t know if we’d actually go see RoL but more free (prepaid) food is always worth it. I got the corn chowder as an appetizer and I think my dad got a charcuterie, Kitty had some type of salad, and we all enjoyed the appetizers. He ordered a beer while Kitty and I got specialty cocktails but I didn’t make note of which ones- oops. I think we all got the braised short ribs as an entree and they were amazing! Dad got a Lion King dessert that was a caramel mousse and he enjoyed it but I thought it was too sweet. I got the dessert sampler which was very tasty, and then they brought out a special birthday dessert for me too! We all really enjoyed eating here and would come again.

Kitty had to leave after lunch and we had a Safari FP to get too. Our safari was great and we saw most of the animals. My dad was really impressed with it! I drag him to a lot of zoos and he said this was the best so far.

I wanted to walk the jungle trail next since I rarely get to do them. We got up to the komodo dragon when it started to pour, so we joined the CM under her umbrella. Her name was Emma and she was amazing. She told us all about their dragons and about a lot of the other animals and how they care for them. We spent about 20 minutes with her and she almost made me want to get a twitter account to send her a cast compliment! The rain lightened up and we continued on, and all the animals were so active! The tiger was out laying in the grass and we got some pictures. The water buffalo were having a blast and kept running from one end of the enclosure to the other while kicking up their feet. Even the CM posted there was laughing.

We spent a long time in the aviary looking for all the birds, since I’ve spent years specializing in avian veterinary medicine and birds are my thing. Most of the pigeons were out playing in the puddles too and the giant pheasant was perched over the trail.

Our second FP was for Flight of Passage at 5pm, so we headed into Pandora. My dad loves Avatar and he was pretty amazed by the land. I strongly dislike Avatar and I’m amazed by it too LOL. He wanted to stop and take a bunch of pictures in the queue but he also kept holding up the people behind us so I tried to keep him moving. He loved the ride and I was so excited to be riding it again. The line for Na’vi was ridiculous so we just enjoyed the land a bit.

Our final FP was for Expedition Everest at 6:30 but I didn’t realize our RoL show was seating at 6. My dad really wanted to see the show so I sadly cancelled our FP. We decided to try and get on Dinosaur before the show because MDE said a 20 minute wait but when we got there the line was out of the building and down the sidewalk. We stood there for a while but it never moved and we had to leave. Boo, no Everest and no Dinosaur. This was originally going to be our only AK day but I had a plan! We’d already done everything at Epcot so I was hoping to change our 2nd Epcot day FP’s to AK instead.

We grabbed some drinks (ice tea again) and headed to RoL. I’d seen the original and thought it was very pretty but this new version did not impress me. I didn’t understand the message they were going for and was honestly bored. And mad that I gave up my EE FP for it.
another super flattering picture :rotfl2:

We decided to get a QS dinner afterwards and I wanted to try Flame Tree BBQ. I’d had the pulled pork fries previously and wanted to try an actual meal.

We got there right before they closed, I didn’t realize the park was closing at 8pm today! I had the half chicken and Dad got the ribs. These were both huge and pretty tasty for quick service. It was a beautiful evening to sit in the pavilion and enjoy our food and the perfect ending to an amazing birthday!

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
Then my dad made us go back to the room because he forgot he’d brought me a birthday card and it was still in his bag 😍 Then we headed to the buses and made it to AK around 9:20. I’d asked Kitty and her dad if they wanted to join us on our tour and lunch at Tiffins today but she thought they were leaving early. Then, right before our trip she changed her departure until later in the day but our tour was sold out but I was able to add her to our ADR. As we were on the bus, she texted me to say she was already at AK and our tour had a last minute cancellation so she’d be joining us! Birthday magic!
That amazing, so happy she was able to join you! This tour always sounds so good! I feel like some many people try it and i haven't seen a bad review on it!

We spent about 20 minutes with her and she almost made me want to get a twitter account to send her a cast compliment! The rain lightened up and we continued on, and all the animals were so active! The tiger was out laying in the grass and we got some pictures. The water buffalo were having a blast and kept running from one end of the enclosure to the other while kicking up their feet. Even the CM posted there was laughing.
Always nice when you have a great cast member, i do feel like it really can improve on your day, and you seemed to already be having a pretty good one!

pkondz

. . Dis Dad #797 . . Hoping to get lucky
how can you go to Animal Kingdom without taking a zillion pictures?!
You can't!
And it was my birthday!
Happy birthday!

Um... slightly belated. or very early. Your pick.
Then my dad made us go back to the room because he forgot he’d brought me a birthday card and it was still in his bag 😍
Awww... :)
she texted me to say she was already at AK and our tour had a last minute cancellation so she’d be joining us! Birthday magic!
Score!
The tour I booked was Up Close with the Rhinos and I couldn’t wait.
Ah! That'd be one I'd like to try too.
The tour was amazing!
Yay! Glad you liked it so much.
His skin was NOT what I was expecting! I was thinking more like a cow or bristly like an elephant but it was super rough like sandpaper.
Really! Cool!
I desperately needed to change shoes so we stopped at the Starbucks for drinks-
Of course. When one needs a change of shoes, one should always go to Starbucks.
I wanted to walk the jungle trail next since I rarely get to do them.
Love how you mention poor blistered feet and then in the (almost) same breath you want to walk the trails. :)
it started to pour, so we joined the CM under her umbrella. Her name was Emma and she was amazing. She told us all about their dragons and about a lot of the other animals and how they care for them.
Love when that happens!
And you don't need twitter.

You can also stop by Guest Relations location in the park or at your resort or email Guest.Services@DisneyWorld.com.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates