"Where Do They Get Young Men Like This?"

This morning, I emailed this story to syndicated radio host Glenn Beck. He is very supportive of the troops, plays a big part in various rallies for America, etc. He has been sharing alot of heartwarming stories of the military so I was hoping he might want to use this story. I don't know if it was because of my emailing him or not, but he used the story already! :D As an aside, he had spoken previously to the father of Lance Cpl Brian Buesing so it probably meant something personal to him as well.

www.glennbeck.com

Edited to add that I got choked up all over again listening to him tell the story.

I emailed this to my husband. I was at work when he read his email. He started reading it to our DD's. He had to call me at work to let me know he could barely finish reading the story to them, he could hardley speak he was so choked up.

<font color=navy>I heard this on the radio on the way to work this morning.

I had tears then, and I've got tears now.

At the risk of being a party pooper, I would caution people that efforts to confirm this touching story haven't panned out. www.snopes.com so far hasn't found anyone that witnessed the broadcast, and CNN's website doesn't refer to the incident. This includes written stories posted by Martin Savidge on CNN's website. One fact is unfortunately true, Lance Cpl. Brian Buesing was indeed killed in action as described. This is not to say the story is false, but you may want to hold off spreading it until its true status is determined. But my personal experience tells me this is headed towards "urban legend" status given that it's only form is an e-mail message that's being spread around the 'net. Personally, I hope it's 100% true.

I actually read it on the Marine Corp website, and did not receive via email. It's also been released on most of the major news stations all week, so I tend to believe it's an actual report.

I agree it's been posted all over the place, but those postings have been cut-n-pasted from e-mails. I've seen this happen lots of times before. I can give you a long list of legends that news organizations have passed on, only to have to retract them later.

Wouldn't you agree that it's a bit odd that the one place you can't find the story is on the web site of the organization that originated the story? Don't you think Martin Savidge would at least mention the incident in the reports that he files? Again, I'm not saying that it's not true. However, I've studied urban legends in college and enjoy keeping up with the lasted stories making the rounds... and this one is setting off my "sniff" meter. And again, I hope my fears are proven wrong.

This is on the Wall Street Journal's website today, in their Best of The Web section:

"We should have known it was too good to be true. CNN informs us that the story we noted Wednesday about correspondent Martin Savidge was a hoax."

:( :( :(

Good sniffer you've got there, Geoff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter