Where do you 55+ locals live?

tbssenterprises

DIS Veteran
Hello. Hope this post is in the right area? Very sorry if not. Anyway, looking into 55+ communities with a close commute to WDW. So far I"ve read up on Del Webb Orlando (Davenport); Del Webb Sunbridge (Lake Nona), Hovnanian 4 Seasons Orlando; Solivita; Trilogy; On Top Of The World.

Can anyone offer any type of review about how these communities stack up as far as good place to live; commute to Disney, etc.,

Thanks!

DW and I are snowbirds and winter in a development in Davenport near the Champions Gate area. It is still mostly a short term rental development that is slowly converting over to full time families, retired folks, and a few of us snowbirds. We weren't interested in a 55+ type community so we just looked for a house that met our needs in a well kept community. So far, this is our fourth winter here, we are happy with our choice.

I started our search on Zillow and spent a lot of time on Google Maps satellite and street view getting a sense of the area. After identifying a few likely choices we contacted a local realtor, got her input, and finally booked a visit to look at a short list of properties. Interestingly enough we ended up purchasing the house that was at the top our Zillow/Google Map list.

I can't comment personally about the developments you mentioned. I did meet a resident of Del Webb Orlando where we volunteer and they seemed satisfied there. My sister in law and her husband looked at Solivita a few years ago and liked it but decided to stay down in Fort Myers.

Davenport is an interesting area, the closer to Disney the more short term rental it becomes. The population swells in the winter as us snowbirds arrive and is especially busy during the holidays when the vacationers fill up the rentals. The houses closest to us are all rentals. Today only one is occupied. That said we have met some very nice folks who live in the neighborhood and get together with them occasionally.

Our commute to Disney isn't bad except during the holidays. Which is OK as we gave up going to Disney during the holidays. I popped over to the MK this morning for my "walk enhanced by Disney". It took me a little over an hour to get into the park. I just missed the ferry and had to wait a while for the next one. It was a bit chilly with the wind blowing whitecaps on the Seven Seas Lagoon. But it still beats the snow and ice up north.

Good luck with your search!

Hi NH. Thanks for your great reply. The reason why I'm interested in a 55+ community is because I'd like to avoid exactly what you highlighted.....rentals. I'd like to go where people are permanent, 12 months a year. Only problem is Hubby isn't on board....but I think I can wear him down in a few years LOL.

I'd love to explore The Villages, but am truly afraid of Sinkholes. I know they are all over Florida but that area seems to be the most prevelant (according to some maps I've looked at).

Hi NH. Thanks for your great reply. The reason why I'm interested in a 55+ community is because I'd like to avoid exactly what you highlighted.....rentals. I'd like to go where people are permanent, 12 months a year. Only problem is Hubby isn't on board....but I think I can wear him down in a few years LOL.

Like your husband I was the one that wasn't "on board" for a life in Florida. It all changed one December a few years ago after we had just returned from a week on site at Disney. The real estate market was just beginning to rebound and my wife mentioned that if we were ever going to invest in a place in Florida now would be the time. A month later we made a quick trip back to Florida and bought our future snowbird home. I think she played on my post Disney depression. <big grin> We opted for home in a short term rental community as we planned to rent it for a few years until I retired.

I'll also note that there are counties, like Orange, that don't allow or restrict short term rentals that might give you more options.

I'd love to explore The Villages, but am truly afraid of Sinkholes. I know they are all over Florida but that area seems to be the most prevelant (according to some maps I've looked at).

My wife shares your concern. It's Florida, sinkholes happen. And there are hurricanes. And lots of lightning. The occasional tornado. We are thankful that our house survived that big hurricane that blasted up the center of the state. We lived in California for five years and survived a moderate earthquake. And in NH we wait every winter for that ice storm that will bring a big oak tree down onto our house. Every region has its own excitement.

There's a Four Seasons 55+ community on Formosa Gardens Road which is a couple of miles south of Animal Kingdom. Not very large was built on part of Mystic Dunes golf Course.

I have a co-worker who lives at Solavita and loves it. she's been there around 16 years I think. I spoke to her about it because I am interested in moving into a 55+ community in the next couple of years. The drawback with her place is the HOA fees are $367 per month. I believe part of that is HOA and part of it is club fees, so it is possible you may be only required to pay part (no club fees may mean no pool, etc). I went over to Four Seasons and it is beautiful, if you like living on a golf course. That builder has a good rep and I also checked out their regular development that is close by called magnolia Gardens, if memory serves.

If you are interested, some of these communities have get away offers where you can come and spend the weekend to check it out. I know Solavita does, as the builder is still building new homes there.

If you are looking for permanent residents as neighbors, that will be a hard find in any 55+ community in FL. Short term rentals may be restricted, but many to most of your neighbors will be snowbirds and only in town for the winter months.

Hi Glassippergirl. Wow, I never thought that the 55+ communities would serve as nesting places for winter snow birds. I just assumed that the majority of people retired from the north and moved to the community as a permanent resident. I hope you are wrong, or at least partially wrong. But regardless, I'm not sure I can get my hubby to move yet. We've already moved from the North to a warmer state, but I'm still aiming to get to FL so that I can just drive back and forth to WDW whenever I choose. I'm five hours away now, so it's definitely not a jump in the car for the day type of thing.

DW and I are snowbirds and winter in a development in Davenport near the Champions Gate area. It is still mostly a short term rental development that is slowly converting over to full time families, retired folks, and a few of us snowbirds. We weren't interested in a 55+ type community so we just looked for a house that met our needs in a well kept community. So far, this is our fourth winter here, we are happy with our choice.

I started our search on Zillow and spent a lot of time on Google Maps satellite and street view getting a sense of the area. After identifying a few likely choices we contacted a local realtor, got her input, and finally booked a visit to look at a short list of properties. Interestingly enough we ended up purchasing the house that was at the top our Zillow/Google Map list.

I can't comment personally about the developments you mentioned. I did meet a resident of Del Webb Orlando where we volunteer and they seemed satisfied there. My sister in law and her husband looked at Solivita a few years ago and liked it but decided to stay down in Fort Myers.

Davenport is an interesting area, the closer to Disney the more short term rental it becomes. The population swells in the winter as us snowbirds arrive and is especially busy during the holidays when the vacationers fill up the rentals. The houses closest to us are all rentals. Today only one is occupied. That said we have met some very nice folks who live in the neighborhood and get together with them occasionally.

Our commute to Disney isn't bad except during the holidays. Which is OK as we gave up going to Disney during the holidays. I popped over to the MK this morning for my "walk enhanced by Disney". It took me a little over an hour to get into the park. I just missed the ferry and had to wait a while for the next one. It was a bit chilly with the wind blowing whitecaps on the Seven Seas Lagoon. But it still beats the snow and ice up north.

Good luck with your search!
We are looking at Tuscan Hills I’m Davenport since we’ve rented there several times and liked it but I’m hesitant because it’s mostly short term rentals. Do you know if it’s considered a safe area?

I don't have any info on the over 55 communities, but I did just spend 7 months as a snowbird in an apartment about 1 mile from the Magic Kingdom. During my stint I was working remotely, but volunteered at some Disney run events and met a lot of very active, wonderful retired seniors. I am in the market for a condo, so I was asking my new friends for advice. Several of them have condos in Lakeside Lakes of Windermere, which is about 3 miles from Disney, and walking distance to a great new shopping area. That is a nice community if you want your living on one level, there are elevators to get your to your condo, so very much like an apartment, beautiful pool and workout room but no garage. There are also townhomes along Reams Road that do have garages, but then you are dealing with stairs. That is my dilemma.
Some of them live in Independence and Summerport, I met a lovely couple from Mt. Dora, who were building in Winter Garden. Winter Garden is a cute town with restaurants with outside seating, and is about 30 minutes from Disney.
Good luck with your hunt. I LOVED my 7 months and am looking forward to doing it again soon!

We are looking at Tuscan Hills I’m Davenport since we’ve rented there several times and liked it but I’m hesitant because it’s mostly short term rentals. Do you know if it’s considered a safe area?

I don't think I can help with the "... a safe area?" question. Our development has had a small amount of crime, including a stolen vehicle. We are in a gated community but it is a code entry gate, not a manned gate. Not much of a deterrent but it will inhibit the casual lookers. I do a lot of walking around our neighborhood and have never felt unsafe. In my time living in a development with short term rentals I don't have the sense that the rentals impact the neighborhood crime. I think it mostly impacts the owner due to wear and tear. The renters can get a bit noisy with parties occasionally but the local sheriff's office will respond to that when called. Good luck with your search!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter