Where do you think DVC resale prices are headed?

With the near-complete obliteration of live entertainment at the parks, it's now becoming clear that WDW will never be the same again. Even if they wanted to return it to its former glory, it will take a very long time to recover all of the blood in the streets right now and institutional knowledge that is now possibly lost forever.

I think it's possible that once DVC owners make their return to the parks, the value of DVC points may become tarnished in the eyes of many of these owners who fear that their vacation spot has become just a local theme park on steroids. I'm not saying all hope is lost... but you really have to squint hard to see the path forward from here if the live entertainment was a big draw for you.
I think long term things will be OK but I doubt they will ever be anywhere near the same either for DVC or the parks. But if they are to be roughly 80-85% of the people who are likely to visit would have either have had to have had either Covid the disease or the vaccine. And I suspect it's likely in a few years they will require either vaccine or proof of a positive antibody to attend a park.

This makes me very sad. I really, really hope you are wrong!
Nobody hopes I'm wrong more than me..

But there's really no arguing that the WDW experience will never be the same after the complete purge of talent that just occurred. WDW was my escape.. now I'm looking for other things to escape from the thought of what is occuring at WDW right now. What a shame.

Nobody hopes I'm wrong more than me..

But there's really no arguing that the WDW experience will never be the same after the complete purge of talent that just occurred. WDW was my escape.. now I'm looking for other things to escape from the thought of what is occuring at WDW right now. What a shame.
I like to hold out the hope that while it may never be the same, that when it returns, Disney goes over the top in trying to make it a unique experience in order to draw the people who want an escape. It may be years, of course, but I'm hoping it will be *better* and that maybe all of this will reduce the "nickel and diming" that was happening, and get us back to the "wow" factor that made me fall in love with Disney all those many long years ago.

FWIW - WDW of the 1970’s was nothing like the 80’s and the 80’s were nothing like the 90’s - etc. it’s always evolving, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse...2020/21 is definitely a strange time but I have no doubt that this too shall pass and WDW will continue to add and remove experiences for decades to come. We just returned from a week long trip 2 weeks ago - we had a fabulous time...

It sure feels like WDW will “never be the same” but then I remembered going in January with a friend who hadn’t been in 10 -15 years.

He was shocked by the crowds and the short park hours, as he remembered when the park was open until midnight or later on a regular basis. Everything was more crowded, more rushed, and shockingly more expensive.

I don’t know how much of those memories are true and how much is romanticization of the past. I do know that he still had a great time. Sometimes it feels like everything just gets worse and more expensive - but we keep going and we keep paying!

When all is said and done, I expect to miss many things that are gone forever, to be excited about new things that replace them, and to be relieved by the return of some old favorites.

I’m sure I’ll keep bemoaning as things continue to get more crowded and more expensive, as every new hotel is just a generic luxe snoozefest (at least in concept art), as up-charge events proliferate, and as the small magical touches are sacrificed for more headliner attractions that nobody actually gets to ride.

But hey, I’m a WDW fan. It’s what we do. I’ll still keep going, Lord help me. Lord help us all.

FWIW - WDW of the 1970’s was nothing like the 80’s and the 80’s were nothing like the 90’s - etc. it’s always evolving, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse...2020/21 is definitely a strange time but I have no doubt that this too shall pass and WDW will continue to add and remove experiences for decades to come. We just returned from a week long trip 2 weeks ago - we had a fabulous time...
I would say this is an over-simplification. What just happened is completely unprecedented in the history of WDW.

Another sobering fact.. If Disney wanted to resume even a single fireworks show right now, they wouldn't have the crew necessary to do it. Poof... gone. They'll hire new crews when they're ready for pyro again, but it will come at a great cost to quality and morale.

It sure feels like WDW will “never be the same” but then I remembered going in January with a friend who hadn’t been in 10 -15 years.

He was shocked by the crowds and the short park hours, as he remembered when the park was open until midnight or later on a regular basis. Everything was more crowded, more rushed, and shockingly more expensive.

I don’t know how much of those memories are true and how much is romanticization of the past. I do know that he still had a great time. Sometimes it feels like everything just gets worse and more expensive - but we keep going and we keep paying!

When all is said and done, I expect to miss many things that are gone forever, to be excited about new things that replace them, and to be relieved by the return of some old favorites.

I’m sure I’ll keep bemoaning as things continue to get more crowded and more expensive, as every new hotel is just a generic luxe snoozefest (at least in concept art), as up-charge events proliferate, and as the small magical touches are sacrificed for more headliner attractions that nobody actually gets to ride.

But hey, I’m a WDW fan. It’s what we do. I’ll still keep going, Lord help me. Lord help us all.
Well... he's not necessarily wrong. The crowds are much more significant in the last few years than they were 10-15 years ago (and I have tons of pictures to prove it). When we went with our kids when they were little, the parks were regularly open to midnight or later, and you could pretty much guarantee low crowds in the evening, and early morning. We'd often get up, go morning to early afternoon, go back to hotels for naps, then go out for dinner and hit the parks again until we were ready to collapse. We loved the evenings for the sparse crowds, especially as those "extra hours" were resort guests only and much less crowded (AND FREE). And they had great things like the ice cream social with characters that went by the wayside (and we won't even talk about the tragedy of closing the Adventurer's Club!). We had found that over time, many of the things we loved became "pay extra for" which definitely took away from the experience, and we realized that to have the same experiences that we did when our kids were little, we'd need to pay a LOT of extra money for those experiences. And that's on top of how crazy high ticket and hotel prices had raised over the last 10-15 years.

That said, I love Disney. Obviously. That's why we became DVC! But I am hoping that there's a silver lining to all of this, that maybe once we're past the pandemic, Disney will choose to focus back on the experience, and less on what feels like milking customers for all the money they can.

I hate feeling like I'm complaining, or that I'm old curmudgeon, but much as I love Disney, I do miss how much effort they put into wowing *everyone* who came to Disney, not just those with a large purse.

Last edited:
Supply and Demand yes, but AK has nice size rooms, incredible ambience, and a great point chart. So it may drop, but probably not a whole lot.

Its just the cheapest passable resorts out of DVC when lining them up. People will try to defend OKW/SSR that is fine but AKV gets a pass on its location simply because its really the best stand alone resort.

Personally what I think is propping up AKV though is that SSR/OKW prices have not went down as much based on Disney buying a bunch back. AKV is related to a buffer baked in to SSR/OKW.

I expected a bunch of buy back leading in to the direct benefit increase but we will see how much that continues over the next 1-2 months.

Well... he's not necessarily wrong. The crowds are more significantly in the last few years than they were 10-15 years ago (and I have tons of pictures to prove it). When we went with our kids when they were little, the parks were regularly open to midnight or later, and you could pretty much guarantee late crowds in the evening. We'd often get up, go morning to early afternoon, go back to hotels and for naps, then go out for dinner and hit the parks again until we were ready to collapse. We loved the evenings for the sparse crowds, especially as those "extra hours" were resort guests only and much less crowded (AND FREE). And they had great things like the ice cream social with characters that went by the wayside (and we won't even talk about the tragedy of closing the Adventurer's Club!). We had found that over time, many of the things we loved became "pay extra for" which definitely took away from the experience, and we realized that to have the same experiences that we did when our kids were little, we'd need to pay a LOT of extra money for those experiences. And that's on top of how crazy high ticket and hotel prices had raised over the last 10-15 years.

That said, I love Disney. Obviously. That's why we became DVC! But I am hoping that there's a silver lining to all of this, that maybe once we're past the pandemic, Disney will choose to focus back on the experience, and less on what feels like milking customers for all the money they can.

I hate feeling like I'm complaining, or that I'm old curmudgeon, but much as I love Disney, I do miss how much effort they put into wowing *everyone* who came to Disney, not just those with a large purse.
This is the Disney we know too. They stopped the late hours pretty recently actually. Maybe 5 years ago when they introduced the paid events? It used to be open to like 2am sometimes for extra magic hours (free for hotel guests). My dh hated it!!! Because I would drag him around trying to get in a “last” ride. He would say, what is wrong with you? Aren’t you tired?!

Its just the cheapest passable resorts out of DVC when lining them up. People will try to defend OKW/SSR that is fine but AKV gets a pass on its location simply because its really the best stand alone resort.

Personally what I think is propping up AKV though is that SSR/OKW prices have not went down as much based on Disney buying a bunch back. AKV is related to a buffer baked in to SSR/OKW.

I expected a bunch of buy back leading in to the direct benefit increase but we will see how much that continues over the next 1-2 months.
I think you really kinda hit the nail on the head with AKV cost versus SSR/OKW cost. If we are being honest SSR resale is probably 80% just for SAP. And AKV is the "next best stand alone resort". So it makes sense that it gets a $10-$15 premium on SSR. And how SSR prices have increased up, so have AKV prices.

It's still so unpredictable. There had been a lengthy ROFR pause, followed by some SSR buybacks of as high as $104.
Then today there was a fracture in one of the flood gates, and lots of us received ROFR Waivers, including an SSR contract at $97.
I will keep stalking the boards between now & February, as it's usually a good time for bargains with folks wanting to divest themselves of unwanted/unneeded points
before MFs are due in January.

Extremely good article and honestly a must read for anyone thinking of buying in for the first time right now.

I don’t agree with him that everyone should wait, but everyone should seriously consider the reasons he lays out.
Great article. Definitely echos what our family is feeling. We are looking to be first time DVC buyers (resale), and are definitely not comfortable buying right now. Will wait at least a year or two and see what happens.

I had hoped to buy before a planned trip in Spring 2022, but with so many onsite perks removed, it's likely more of an advantage for us to rent a big house offsite.

Extremely good article and honestly a must read for anyone thinking of buying in for the first time right now.

I don’t agree with him that everyone should wait, but everyone should seriously consider the reasons he lays out.
The DVC sales trends have always had their ups & downs. This year has been an anomaly, and hopefully normalcy will return soon.
I've bought 2 resale contracts in the midst of COVID, taking advantage of price point on one, and size/use year on the other.
If prices tank at year-end, and ROFR continues to lean favorably towards waivers, I may buy some more.
I don't know how I'd feel if I were a first-time DVC buyer, however. Things are certainly changing at Disney, as they are world-wide, but our long-term goals are still in tact, and being in Orlando in the "Winter" is still high on our list. Hopefully buyers that have found their way to the resale market have already done some research, and I would agree to include this article in the "read before you buy" category.

I agree. I wonder if it would make more sense if Disney lifted the restriction on borrowing for the short term. If many are banking their points into 2021/2022, it makes sense (to me) to allow borrowing for current reservations to use up those points and then reintroduce the restriction if necessary.

I agree. I wonder if it would make more sense if Disney lifted the restriction on borrowing for the short term. If many are banking their points into 2021/2022, it makes sense (to me) to allow borrowing for current reservations to use up those points and then reintroduce the restriction if necessary.
I suspect they're trying to allow members to use up points they would lose otherwise and spread out the impact of the recent months over the next few years.

I suspect they're trying to allow members to use up points they would lose otherwise and spread out the impact of the recent months over the next few years.
Yes that was the plan but there's still lots of availability in the near future. So it doesn't seem to be working. If they lifted it for awhile it might help, and then they could restrict again if necessary.

They should let members borrow all of their points if the stay is within 21 days. It might get people to add on days at the end or beginning of their stay. This would reduce the impact for most members as the only ones really booking 21 days out are people who already have reservations. Also, with airlines generally allowing flexibility for changing dates this would allow for many to take advantage of this. This can help reduce the pent up points.

They should let members borrow all of their points if the stay is within 21 days. It might get people to add on days at the end or beginning of their stay. This would reduce the impact for most members as the only ones really booking 21 days out are people who already have reservations. Also, with airlines generally allowing flexibility for changing dates this would allow for many to take advantage of this. This can help reduce the pent up points.

But, how do they ensure that someone doesn't borrow more to book a stay in those 21 days and then goes in and changes it to later to work around the rule?

People are going to lose points whether its now or in a few years. I agree that if they could find a way to let someone book a short term trip that can’t be changed, itd be nice,

But then you are talking potentially major changes to many rules that may or may not be legal. At least now, the rule is consistent and applies to everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter