Where to get a wheel chair for an 11 year old.

lillykat

DIS Veteran
So DD (11) is in a walking boot. She is 5’3 and about 100 lbs. Too big for a stroller. But we have absolutely no experience with wheelchairs. We are going to Universal for 2 nights 3 days first before transferring to Disney. We will not have a rental car. The doctor says we will know more next week. Right now she is on crutches and cannot put any weight on it. He says she will not be on crutches by the trip. He anticipates she will be able to walk at least some if not more in 2 weeks. Who will deliver to the Hard Rock and pick up from POFQ? Or do I need to do two separate rentals? Looking online it looks like most only carry one standard size? Do I need anything else? I anticipate she will be able to get out and walk to get on the rides but will not be able to stand for long periods. Do we take the chair in lines? We are not looking to skip lines, just the doctor said she will probably tolerate a lot of walking or long standing. Is is it hard to get on the buses with the chair? Any advice for at the airports we are flying delta. Also for those how do you keep the wheelchair dry?

Your best bet is to try a medical rental like Orlando Medical Rentals. They have smaller wheelchairs and even pediatric ones. You can probably call and ask all your questions! I don't have the answers but empathize - my husband broke his foot 2 weeks ago and has been non weightbearing with a boot since. It's not easy.

I believe Walker Mobility carries smaller sized wheelchairs, as does Orlando Medical Rentals. I'd call, rather than reserve online, that way you can speak directly about her size as well as the 2 resorts. That shouldn't be a problem.

How did you plan to shift from Universal to WDW? If you go by Mears taxi, just let them know you have a folding wheelchair in addition to the luggage. They'll send the right sized vehicle.

I hope she heals quickly and enjoy your vacation!

For the lines most are accessible so you go in what every line you have ( FP or standby) a few have a pull off some point in the line to avoid stairs splash is one of them. Then their stare about 5 rides in all of Disney that are not accessible and will give you a card ( the size of a Business card) with a time to come back. And yes the wheelchair can go in the lines.

So DD (11) is in a walking boot. She is 5’3 and about 100 lbs. Too big for a stroller. But we have absolutely no experience with wheelchairs. We are going to Universal for 2 nights 3 days first before transferring to Disney. We will not have a rental car. The doctor says we will know more next week. Right now she is on crutches and cannot put any weight on it. He says she will not be on crutches by the trip. He anticipates she will be able to walk at least some if not more in 2 weeks. Who will deliver to the Hard Rock and pick up from POFQ? Or do I need to do two separate rentals? Looking online it looks like most only carry one standard size? Do I need anything else? I anticipate she will be able to get out and walk to get on the rides but will not be able to stand for long periods. Do we take the chair in lines? We are not looking to skip lines, just the doctor said she will probably tolerate a lot of walking or long standing. Is is it hard to get on the buses with the chair? Any advice for at the airports we are flying delta. Also for those how do you keep the wheelchair dry?

My DH uses a wheelchair at disney. He refuses to the disabled spot, since he can stand and walk, just not forever. Anyway, we just push the wheelchair through the bus line and when we get to the front, fold it up and roll it on like a stroller. Just make sure to lock the wheels so it doesn't roll while holding onto it.

I'm not saying it's right for you, just saying it's an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter