Where to keep laptop

Just slide it in my back pack
My laptop isn't worth someone's job. They aren't rifling through to take it
Mostly I agree with this, but there is the potential for accidental damage (my husband’s biggest issue is data loss, not the machine itself). And, the way some housekeepers do multiple rooms, sometimes your door is propped open and unattended.

I have a small Lenovo Yoga and it fits in the safe in most resorts, for the ones it doesn't it usually either put it in a drawer in it's cover under some clothes or in a suitcase with dirty clothes on top of it in the closet. I've been known to just leave it out on on the desk in it's cover at the Dolphin/Swan.

We normally have a few ipads and and a laptop in the room. The only thing I secure in the safe is cash, credit cards and jewelry, everything else I just tuck in a suitcase in between clothes. It takes some effort to start searching through someones bag, even if housekeeping is in the next room. I don't leave them just lying around the room, even when we did not expect housekeeping.

Most of the time it went in the safe, but recently we have started putting up the DND sign. I know, hotel staff can still enter the room even without receiving housekeeping, but my biggest concern has always been housekeeping (at any hotel) leaving the door open and someone walking by grabbing valuables. I’ve seen the two doors open method, while cleaning, more times than I know.

I have asked bell services to hold a computer, many years ago, at POFQ because the safe was too small.

Now" that your room can be entered at any time?
Its always been the case really.
My room has been entered without me asking for it for maintenance before last week.

Maintenance or a manager concerned about your well-being is different than these random people walking into rooms the last couple days.

It’s noy the housekeepers mworried about. It’s the opportunists who know the sloppy way housekeepers “work” on two rooms at a time that I’m worried about

Most of the time it went in the safe, but recently we have started putting up the DND sign.

By Januaryish that’s not going to be possible.

By Januaryish that’s not going to be possible.

Yeah, I’ve seen the threads. I’m not sure how nervous I am about it. I mostly dislike that housekeeping often leaves doors open (especially, when they are not in the room). Even when they are in the room, if the door is propped open some room configurations would make it pretty easy for someone to sneak in and out unnoticed. I’m not really that worried about housekeeping stealing my stuff. I will definitely avail myself of the safe when staying onsite at Disney now.

Last edited:
I usually bring either my 14" or my Surface Pro and put it in the safe. Just make sure it is fully encrypted and not just protected with a Windows logon password. The hardware isn't what is valuable, it is the information on it that has real value.

Agreed, also, I've never heard of theft being an issue from mousekeeping at WDW from anyone I know or hear on the boards.

I put mine at the bottom of my luggage.

Maybe I'm too trusting but I leave my electronics out all over the states, over 100 nights in various Marriott's last year.
I put mine away more just to neaten up the room than to hide them. With the stuff we buy while there we have enough crap strewn about without adding all our electronics to it too.
Usually I just travel with my iPad and when I do, all I do with it is plug it in to the charger and slide it in the drawer in the bedside table. That way, I charge my phone at night and then my iPad in the day time, only 1 charger needs to be out

We lock all of our electronics in a suitcase with a fixed location lock every time we leave the room. My parents have had their suitcases opened and dug through by housekeeping at hotels (not Disney) and it was creepy enough that we are vigilant. Now with someone entering the room every day this will become a major pain but we will still do it. There are too many horror stories about items being stolen either by housekeeping or other guests walking by unattended rooms.

You trusting people! I would never intentionally leave my laptop out. And for my work laptop, it’s definitely not allowed. We have to secure our work laptops.

You trusting people! I would never intentionally leave my laptop out. And for my work laptop, it’s definitely not allowed. We have to secure our work laptops.

I don't use my personal laptop for work, so no worries there.
It's not that I'm just so trusting, I'm not sure what it is, I'm just not worried about someone stealing it? Sure it could happen, but the likelihood is pretty slim.
I have no personal info on there - just pictures that I don't care if people see and those are backed up on our home computer. All financial and personal documents are on our home computer.
Someone would need our password just to even get to the desktop screen and I don't stay logged on to any sites, not even my Gmail.
And we always have trip insurance, although no clue if it's covered!

I suppose I can throw it in our suitcase though, will keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Travel for work on a frequent basis for the last several years. I leave things where I last used them and have never had any issue.

I don't bring my laptop every trip but when I do, I put it in one of the drawers with my clothes. My tablet and Kindle Fire go into the safe when I bring them.

either the safe or sometimes I bury mine in the drawers under my clothes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter