Which charities do you donate to, and why?

We give through our church's outreach efforts, help with and support the hosting of a homeless shelter when it comes to our church, give to a local women's shelter and give through the local agency to help kids in the foster care system. We give to other efforts here and there and attend various fundraisers and events, including some supporting animals, but the lion's share of our efforts and funds support people. Heaven knows there's enough human suffering all around.

I'll donate to fundraisers that my friends do for various charities. I work in a non-profit and we're expected to donate to our non-profit and a non-profit that helps fund us.

I also donate to Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Boston (I also volunteer with them). I'll go to events that support my local schools and library. I buy girl scout cookies every year from as many girl scouts as I can.

ETA: I don't increase my giving around the holidays.

I specifically avoid United Way - previous hung ho employer left a bad taste in my mouth. No offense; I know they do good things.

Yes. This. A previous employer
" encouraged" us all to give thru payroll deduction and " encouraged" us so hard saying it was important to have 100% participation. They wanted to get on some gold star list in the community. So the United Way lady came and presented her speech. Nicely done but avoided the question of how much actually goes to the causes. After being pinned down about it, oh around 67% goes to the causes in our community.( it varies by community) The rest goes to administrative fees and advertising. She said you can specify where your money goes but after more questions, she confirmed this is how it works. If they had decided to give boys and girls club $1000 and I specified my $ was to go to boys and girls club, then 67% of my money would go there. But since the 1,000 had been met, they would move their $1000 elsewhere. I'd rather donate directly knowing 100% of my money goes there.

Local wildlife/domestic animal sanctuarys - no kill shelters
Local Relay for Life
Royal Children’s Hospital Appeal
Asylum Seekers Resource Centre
CFA/SES
Any homeless or animal food drives at the school

Also been meaning to donate sanitary items for homeless women in my local area.

Yes. This. A previous employer
" encouraged" us all to give thru payroll deduction and " encouraged" us so hard saying it was important to have 100% participation. They wanted to get on some gold star list in the community. So the United Way lady came and presented her speech. Nicely done but avoided the question of how much actually goes to the causes. After being pinned down about it, oh around 67% goes to the causes in our community.( it varies by community) The rest goes to administrative fees and advertising. She said you can specify where your money goes but after more questions, she confirmed this is how it works. If they had decided to give boys and girls club $1000 and I specified my $ was to go to boys and girls club, then 67% of my money would go there. But since the 1,000 had been met, they would move their $1000 elsewhere. I'd rather donate directly knowing 100% of my money goes there.

Our company president was on the UW board. He went so far as to review the amount each of the managers was giving, and then tried to strongarm them all into increasing their contributions. That was the last year I donated.

My primary charity for the past year has been Barks of Hope: http://www.barksofhope.org/. They rescue Puerto Rican Satos (stray/street dogs), rehab them, and fly them to various rescues on the mainland. We adopted our dog from a rescue that deals with them, and I've been so impressed with their work. Especially as of late, with helping the animals after Hurricane Maria.

I also donate goods to the Veterans of America and money to our parish and parish school. Then since Hurricane Maria have been donating to various charities and sending money directly to family in Puerto Rico.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter