Which companies do you buy your trip insurance with?

LindaY

Earning My Ears
We are coming in October and after this horrible hurricane it has made me start thinking I should have gotten travel insurance. I'm curious if there are companies better than others to buy it from? I googled it but it was overwhelming. Noticed a lot of them require you to buy it whitin a week of booking trip.

We buy AIG Travelguard. The first time we bought it (2008) we had to use it as my wife spent 3 days in Celebration hospital. They paid the additional airfare hotel, and hospital co-pay. A bit over $2000. I had to supply documentation and a summary of the hospital records. They paid in 2-3 weeks.

The conditions are, IMHO, clearly spelled out on their web site and you can buy various types of coverage. You can get an estimate on their site.

We are coming in October and after this horrible hurricane it has made me start thinking I should have gotten travel insurance. I'm curious if there are companies better than others to buy it from? I googled it but it was overwhelming. Noticed a lot of them require you to buy it whitin a week of booking trip.
Buying trip insurance within a few days of booking your trip is usually just to ensure coverage for pre existing conditions. You can buy insurance for other things (trip cancellation as an example) closer to your trip. I booked a cruise that leaves next week and I bought trip cancellation insurance a month ago (I booked the cruise last October). Go to insure my trip.com and compare carriers and what they will cover.
Denise

A couple of my credit cards (Citi Costco and Chase Sapphire) provide trip insurance as well if I use them to pay for the trip. I don't buy extra insurance for Disney trips because we fly SW so I can cancel or change those, I don't buy packages so if I have to cancel the room I can do it up to a few days before, plus the credit cards provide trip interruption and cancellation benefits. I do get insurance for overseas trips and use the website Denise mentioned above. We had to get extra medical for our adventure tour of Ireland and used Travel guard for that.

Allianz is another good one, they have been around a long time and have different plans to fit different budgets.

We have Allianz as well. Because we go in August or September I always get the insurance and this is the first time I actually read through the policy! My Visa card has trip insurance attached to it as well for certain events (illness, natural disaster, etc).

Travelex is the company we were insured with thru our Disney package purchase. We were very pleased with them since we had to use them for a medical emergency. They paid out our claim 2 days after filing. If you can purchase a policy with them, I would recommend them.

Travelex is the company we were insured with thru our Disney package purchase. We were very pleased with them since we had to use them for a medical emergency. They paid out our claim 2 days after filing. If you can purchase a policy with them, I would recommend them.

Ditto - also DVC members, we pick up Travelex every use-year :).

I've tried travel guard multiple times. Never had to submit a claim but service was excellent!

I purchased Allianz when I bought our airline tickets through Delta. We had to cancel one week prior to leaving home due to a medical emergency. Allianz refunded our airfare in full. I was expecting it to be difficult, but it wasn't.

If you are looking for insurance that will cover hurricanes, a storm that has already been named is not covered!! It's usually too late then for insurance (for that storm).

Self insure!

Usually one cruise, one non-Disney vacation and one Disney trip a year so travel insurance would add up quickly. Over 25 years and many trips, it would not crush us to forfeit 2 or 3 thousand due to a cancelled or altered trip.

I always buy travel medical usually an annual plan, from Blue Cross. And I buy trip interruption from CAA. Because I travel to Florida in Hurricane season.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter