• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Which TS restaurants have you scratched off your list and why?

Hate to say it, but Le Cellier. Essentially the same quality of food as they were serving when it was 1 credit & prices were 60% of what they now charge. Not worth the prices they charge IMHO.

And H&V dinner now that it's a character buffet. Feels too noisy & hectic now.

Last edited:
We tend to revisit restaurants a few trips later that we have scratched off our lists.....to see if there have been any changes. We almost always try a place that was just SO SO another time as well. My scratch off is Mama Melrose for now. It just has not been that great the last couple of times. We haven't tried Chef Mickeys or Crystal Palace in a few years actually. Mainly because they are so chaotic to me. Another is ESPN.....don't even get me started on that place. We used to like it years ago. It is forever checked off my list. LOL We have always LOVED Liberty Tree and yet they have changed their menu and removed a few things. Anyway.....just curious. I have been making ADR's for our June trip and sometimes it is just a struggle for me. Our go to places are: Tusker House, Via Napoli, Liberty Tree, Plaza, Prime Time, Garden Grill. TIA

Tony's will never ever get our business again......I know it's one of those TS that is on most people's list of places not to go....But quite honestly, even with all the supposed changes, it'll never rate up. We had so many issues when we went.( And we are far from picky, snobby, by any means) The food was not just bad, it was terrible, the service, the place, the price... & that's a shame because you couldn't get a better location....Wish something else took over here, quite frankly.

CaliGrill. Here's another one that we've waited years to score an ADR, and it underwhelmed us too. We had a party of 10, and we showed up 1/2 hour early only to basically be forgotten, & finally seated 35 mins. after our time...They messed up our order, rushed us....My dinner was very good , but everyone else's along w/ the service will draw me away...Too many other places to experience... Like the Wave which we
loved.

Garden Grill & LTT Are 2 more that we probably won't try again either. Character interaction at GG was fine, just the revolving thing gets annoying...The food at both places ( family style is fine ) but if t comes out salty which it DiD, then everything is salty...We asked to replace it 2 more times, and the same thing. So at that point we just chalked it up as , this place isn't for us...No biggie. The worst part is for LTT I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt, for I love early American History, and wanted that place to be awesome...Oh well.

Other than that mostly all have their lil faults but not even a blip to mention....
Enjoy your ADR's:thumbsup2.

We gave up on the 50's Primetime Cafe. We had a rather bad meal and indifferent service and we've never felt a desire to go back.

Other than that we're pretty flexible.

Don't get me wrong, it's still good. I will say I'm a food snob and I didn't hate anything except the buffet at Trail's end and maybe Napoli. I think at least some people who complain about lower food quality or less Disney magic have just gone to often. I was largely impressed.

But I read a lot of reviews from people who swore places like Jiko's were so awesome that they could even compete with off property places, and I think definitely some people just snort the pixie dust a little too much :jumping1:
:rotfl: Our thoughts exactly. Jiko was the most disappointing meal we've had at Disney, because we were expecting so much more. The reviews here make it sound amazing. Our meal was no better than the non-signature restaurants. It was definitely the least impressive signature. On a positive note, the atmosphere was very nice.

For me it is as Sci Fi. First we had to wait in a packed lobby 30 minutes, and we had a reservation. I wasn't really happy with that, but I knew it just goes with the flow on busy days. Then they tried to sit us at a picnic table, instead of a car. I explained I didn't want a table. They then told us it was because we didn't have a reservation, but I explained I did. So then we went back and ten minutes later, we were sat at a car. Food was not great. Flavorless. I had the salmon sandwich. It literally had no flavor. My husband had the ribs. They were tough. Service was slow. Desserts were not that great either. One and done for us.

Kona Cafe is one that we won't return to. Other than my husband's Samoan, the rest of our food was mediocre and our service was incredibly slow. I know lots of people *love* Kona, but we won't be back.

Crystal Palace was also a one and done for us. There wasn't anything wrong with it (we did breakfast) but it wasn't particularly memorable and we don't feel a need to return, especially at that price point. Too many other places to try! :)

Via Napoli- The food is OK but oh my the noise! We tried it several times but just could not get past the noise. We had to yell our orders to the waiter.

Yashtsman Steakhouse- The food is good but we routinely have had very slow service.

Cali Grill- We tried it twice. First time we had an extremely poor waiter. Food was just OK. Second time- we waited over an hour for a table. Yes we had a reservation. Food again was ok.

T-Rex- Again the noise was too much.

Coral Reef- Food was just ok.

Hollywood and Vine- Poor service and quality of food was poor.

Chef Mickey - We use to do this a lot when the kids were small but now buffets are off our list.

Sci Fi restaurant - We did this once. It was cute the first time but after that not so much.

Mama Melrose- Poor food and bad service.

I don't really care for buffets, dinner shows, aycte, anything involving skillets or "antics," so those are out for me unless their is another party member with an overriding desire. Over the years, I've pretty much figured out which friends/family are a good travel fit and which are not. Also, O'Hana because of the parades or whatever it is they do. Being able to have a conversation during a meal is important to me. Some people LOVE buffets, etc., but they are so noisy, etc., I'm just not up for that on vacation.
I love all the "antics," but your post made me LOL since my mother feels the same way you do. She tells me frequently that she would like to enjoy dinner but that Mickey Mouse interrupts her.

•All buffets sans Tusker House at the right time.
•Tony's. it's just not good. And the mold on the berries finished that one for us.
•Coral Reef. What is the fascination with eating here? The food is terrible as is the service. You can see the tank without the punishment that is their food.
•Le Cellier. Overpriced glorified Outback, maybe Sizzler. Nothing special.
•CRT. Food is awful. Be honest it sucks. And I just cannot do the screaming crying children running amok.
•Teppan Edo. Had gritty dirty sandy scallops two YEARS in a row. Show is not up to par.
•SAN Angel. Eh the food is eh. So much better in every way at La Hacienda. The ride is a must however.
•T Rex. Sooooooooo loud. And the portions are ridiculous. So incredibly wasteful. I get it. Dinosaurs a big. But gee whiz portions for four on every plate.
•Rainforest Cafe. Bad food. Bad service.
•Boathouse. Underwhelming. Average is taste and quality, doesn't fit the price point.
•Brown Derby post the last 8-10 years. Very hit or miss. Which is a bummer.

On a positive note Artist Point is amazing every time we go. In every way. Service is always on point and the food is always fantastic. Good wines etc. ❤

Oh god...after having done the DDP a few times (and I'm now a die hard convert for the QSP) I've got a few...

Restaurant Marrakech ... one weird experience. We felt rushed, the food was dry and bland, and really not to my family's taste.

Hollywood and Vine...bleh. Need I say more?

Crystal Palace ...been there done that too many times.

Coral Reef.... another been there done that.

Bluezoo - While we've happy with the food - each time we've gone there, the service is awful. It was like pulling teeth for service, plus you don't lead a table past a ton of empty tables to give them the worst table in the joint.

Crystal Palace - My husband refuses as the food is 'eh' and its too loud.

Shulas - We have one 10 minutes down the road - not wasting a WDW dinner on that

Artist Pointe - We've tried to like it but each time we've left disappointed in the food

Brown Derby---the food wasn't spectacular for the price you pay, and the service worse

Teppan Edo---I can get the same thing up the road from my house, for about half the price, and better food.

Bongos---food ok, but the service was really really bad

Chef Mickey's---very chaotic, food just average buffet food. Not worth the stress

BoG---wasn't impressed with the food and service was SLOW

Places we haven't tried, but aren't really interested in: Le Cellier, Tony's, Mama Melrose, Via Napoli, CRT (ok, maybe once, if I were to get any granddaughters)

places we're on the cusp about:
1900---food was good buffet, but we had 2 different meals where the main character didn't show. Alice was over an hour and a half late (and only met in the alcove for pictures, which would have been fine if she had been there on time...our server did let us know she was busy having tea with the White Rabbit and the Queen of Hearts, but we had an antsy baby and FP+ to get to). The other, Cinderella's shoe was again lost and she was looking for it, for almost an hour. She found it right before we left, and w were the first table she stopped at, but was very very rushed.

Sanaa--I'd have to try something else next time. The sausage sandwich was just not to my liking. Loved the bread service, though.

Crystal Palace--late characters, buffet closing too quickly within seating time

Trex/Rainforest---they are all over the place, noisy/chaotic. Kids running all over looking at the effects. Big big portions of ok food; unless we share, it's a waste of food.

Our first meal at Jiko was wonderful. we were seated in the center room our server was excellent. We went back to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday and it was terrible. We were seated by the kitchen and our server was not attentive at all and the food was average!

The only place we will not return is Captain's Grill. We tried it for dinner and our meal was just terrible, probably the worst I ever had in a restaurant. Then we tried it again for breakfast. The wait was ridiculous for a nearly empty restaurant and to be told for 20 minutes that we'll be seated as soon as that table (it was visible from the podium) is cleared was aggravating. The food was eh.

We tried CRT for breakfast once and had to go get something at a quick serve immediately after. $200 waste of an hour. Slow, unfriendly, service, horrible food. My then 9 year old daughter was so disappointed. We also did not like Via Napoli. Food was okay, not great. It is way too loud for us.

Chef Mickey's - this one makes me a bit sad, but our boys are getting older and we can't justify the crazy price for dinner anymore.

H&V- except for the lobster mac and cheese, it wasn't good and crazy expensive for dinner.

LeCellier- I used to like the lunch menu, but when it went to 2 credits, it went off the list.

Via Napoli - not bad, just not that good, and there are lots of other places we want to try. Also, soooo loud.

Tusker House- didn't love the food and the character interaction was lacking for sure.

Chef Mickey's - we went for dinner (fall of 2015) and the characters were great, but the food was just awful and very little variety. The ranch dressing for the salad was obviously bottled and I couldn't eat it. I'm not very picky, but salad dressing is so easy to make. I know Disney can do better than that.

La Hacienda - I thought it was awful food and it was super slow.

Coral Reef - Food was really good when we went but the restaurant was empty and they sat us in the very back. ?? We had 3 little kids with us and they couldn't see the fish at all. We live close to an Aquarium restaurant and it's much better scenery wise.

Sci-Fi diner - It's been 6 years since I was there, but the seating was just weird and I felt like we couldn't talk. And I don't like sci-fi lol. I remember the food was good though.

Chef Mickey-Noisy, crowded, food not very good
Crystal Palace-Breakfast was horrible in January
LeCellier-Not "all that" for the price
'Ohana-DH just doesn't like it
Rainforest Cafe-Can eat at one of those anytime

Bluezoo - While we've happy with the food - each time we've gone there, the service is awful. It was like pulling teeth for service, plus you don't lead a table past a ton of empty tables to give them the worst table in the joint.

I've probably had 50 meals/stops for drinks in the last 10ish years and never had a bad table or bad service, which seems unlikely given how often I've been there. Stinks that happened to you! I enjoy your trip reports BTW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter