Which would you choose for a resort only stay with a 6 and 9 year old?

Which DVC property would you choose for a resort only stay for a 6 and 9 year old?

• VGF

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • AKL

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • BCV

Votes: 21 30.4%

• Total voters

lovethesun12

DIS Veteran
Trying to decide between VGF (hoping BBB would be available, plus fireworks viewing), AKL (savannah view would be nice) and BCV (SAB of course :). It may pivot from resort only depending on what covid decides to do =)

Which would you choose?

Great question! All great options but I would say beach club because of storm along bay and beaches and cream. If I was 6 or 9 or 69 I would LOVE that pool and eating a kitchen sink!

Depends on your kids. My 8 yr old loves both AKL and the pool at BCV but when I asked her to choose between AKL or BCV she choose AKL because she loved seeing the animals outside our balcony with a savanna view. I thought she’d say BCV because she loves storm along bay but I guess she loves the animals more.

How long is the stay? Does it only have to be a one resort stay? We are doing a split stay in 2022 at both AKL and BCV.

How long is the stay? Does it only have to be a one resort stay? We are doing a split stay in 2022 at both AKL and BCV.
I have considered a split stay, but I think our family will be happier with a one resort stay this time. We did a split stay before during a 10 night stay and found moving from one resort to another a hassle. Felt like a good part of our vacation day was wasted packing food/luggage again and checking in/out

We actually have stayed at both AKL and BCV before, but not VGF. My kids were too young to remember many details, although they do remember SAB. They were ages 2 & 4 the last time they stayed at AKL, and 3 & 6 for BCV.

When we stayed at AKL/BCV though we did none of the resort only activities, and didn't have a savannah view or a 1/2 bedroom (which we are planning this time, only because we have extra points from not being able to travel and planning on resort only). We disliked transportation there the most (which wouldn't be an issue this time). I've loved every WDW resort I've ever stayed at, so at the end of the day I'm sure we would love them all, but wanted to do a poll to see others perspectives on the resorts for that age.

The one thing about VGF that's really drawing me is that BBB is onsite and also the proximity of MK if we do decide to visit a park. Has it been open at all since 2020? (Wouldn't want anyone to look this up for me since I eventually will but if anyone knew offhand it would be helpful :)

Last edited:

I picked AKL for the savanna view as well as the two pools. I’ve read many reports here from parents who found SAB difficult with younger children because it’s impossible to watch them from poolside - you have to follow them, unless you’re comfortable letting them exit the pool area and cross the walkway to get to the slide by themselves. I’ve also read that the lazy river is deep and the current strong, so you need to be confident of their swimming skills or be with them at all times. Obviously I don’t know how your kids are at 6 and 9, just wanted you to consider those issues.

BLT for the short walk to MK.

Of the listed options, depends a lot on whether they love animals. But definitely between VGF and AKV.

AKV. We rarely get SAV room. My 6-9 yr olds didn't want to stay in the room. There are many excellent animal viewing spots elsewhere. The Community hall at AKV is great and has a huge SAV double balcony. I've spent many hours while my kids enjoyed the CH.

Our home resort is AKV. LOVE IT! There so many wonderful artifacts, activities, and the theming can’t be beat. The pool is good and you can use the pool/splash pad at Kidani. The restaurants are top notch also.

I also love BCV because you are minutes away from Epcot ! The pool is great.

VGF is a monorail resort and perfect if you are spending a lot of time at MK.

You need to choose the park according to your park preferences, need for midday breaks, food choices, etc.

My choice would be BCV for the festivals.

but, if I can snag CLub level at Jambo then I may choose them. I would definitely choose Jambo during Christmas.

VGF is a lovely resort but I would choose CCV or Polynesian over VGF.

I used to hate AKL however after recently staying in a 1 bedroom Villa at Kidani my view has changed. It was really nice.

1) AK Villa
2) GF
3) Beach club

In summer it would have to be BCV for SAB, next choice would be VGF as the feature pool is great fun and also for the fireworks.

I've stayed at all three with kids in that age range. Definitely BCV. The pool... Nothing else at Disney compares. Coupled with the dining options so close at Epcot. I would only pick another if the kids were super into MK or super into animals. Mine are not, they like the parks about equally.

AKL is too secluded but I liked when the kids were younger. It has the best theming.

GF has a very luxe feel to it and the rooms are the nicest of the options.

I've stayed at all three with kids in that age range. Definitely BCV. The pool... Nothing else at Disney compares. Coupled with the dining options so close at Epcot. I would only pick another if the kids were super into MK or super into animals. Mine are not, they like the parks about equally.

AKL is too secluded but I liked when the kids were younger. It has the best theming.

GF has a very luxe feel to it and the rooms are the nicest of the options.
My kids (and husband and I, lol) are definitely super into MK. I also like the idea of the monorail.

The luxe feel is the only thing making me wonder if it would be a good fit. lol. I feel really out of place at signature restaurants for some reason and thinking I may feel the same there. I'm a clumsy person so maybe that's why.

VGF is a lovely resort but I would choose CCV or Polynesian over VGF.
Poly is actually my home resort and it does look more appealing. But since we are planning on resort only (maybe 1 MK day but not certain) I was thinking VGF might be a better fit for the 1-bedroom, but still has a nice pool as well as BBB (if it opens).

We do resort only stays sometimes and, this is just me personally, I cant do Epcot area or Monorail resorts, as it would drive me nuts to see that parks and not go in. Not to mention those resorts cost more for a reason, location.

AKV is a great choice, lots of on site activities and great pools.

Our favorite for resort only stays though is Saratoga Springs, especially after the room updates. 4 pools(5 really if you walk to the tree houses), tons of outside access for walking young kids around, close to Fort Wilderness for those activities, and of course Disney Springs. When pool hopping comes back Old Key West is right there too. Walkable even.

If you’re doing resort only, I would say AKL. I imagine it would be hard for kids to have a view of magic kingdom from GF but not actually being able to go to the park. The 1 BRs at Kidani are very nice and you can use pools at both kidani and jambo.

You won't feel out of place at GF. The rooms themselves are nice and luxe but the resort grounds didn't strike me as pretentious. The lobby was a little... Genteel ... But also full of families, many of whom this is a very special trip vs routinely spending GF prices at hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter