Whistle While We Work: January 2016 Bounceback! page 12 10/15

natebenma

Beach Club Dee
Whistle While We Work
Thurs Jan 7-Mon Jan 11

This was an unexpected, bonus trip to Florida for me. A working vacation, so-to-speak.

My dear friend Teena, who has worked as a greeter in the lobby at the Beach Club for more than 10 years, was moving to Las Vegas to live with her daughter Jeanne and granddaughter Lily.

Here are some of my favorite pictures of Teena and me from previous trips

P7110023.JPG
July 2009

July 2013

DSCF1267.jpg

August 2014

Originally, she was going to be leaving in summer and then April, but after putting her Florida house on the market, she got an offer in mid-December from a family who wanted to move in by the end of January.

I had promised Teena that I would come out to visit her and help with the house before she left Florida. The best time for me turned out to be an arrival late on Thursday January 7 and returning home on Monday January 11. A huge bonus to this timeframe was that it was marathon weekend. No, I wouldn’t be running… but @MickeyT one of my very best Disney friends who I had not met in person yet would be there at the same time with his family. Some of my other friends were there for the marathon as well.

I would be staying with Teena at her home. Park time was not a priority for me- after all, I had visited Universal in February 2015, Disney in June for Ben’s 8th grade class trip, Universal and Disney/Beach Club in August with my Beach Club friends. But Teena planned for us to visit Magic Kingdom on Friday night after we had done a bit of work around the house. Saturday was another day to get some things done around the house and on Sunday, while Teena worked, I planned on hanging around the Beach Club- my home away from home. Instead, my friend surprised me with a voucher she had for a park ticket that was expiring soon, so I had more park time than I bargained for, and I was able to do something for the first time that I have wanted to do on my past couple of trips.

Thursday January 7

I felt badly that I was leaving my family, so I spent my final day at home cooking and cleaning so that things would be easier for everybody while I was away. I made chicken for dinner that night and I put together a meatloaf that they could bake off when they wanted it. (“Spoil”er Alert- the meatloaf was still unbaked when I got home so I had to throw it away). I made some banana bread for the family then chocolate chip and some almond joy cookies, both for home and to bring to Florida for Teena.

I hate paying the inflated prices for food at the airport, but when I fly with Mark, he doesn’t like to do anything that is out of the ordinary, so we don’t bring much from home. Since I was flying alone on this trip, I made a yummy sandwich from leftover pork we had the night before, on a ciabatta roll with guacamole, tomato and lettuce. I put it in the fridge until it was time to pack the treat in my carryon for the trip.

My flight was at 6:40 Thursday night. I wanted to see my boys for a few minutes before I left so I waited until they got home from school before leaving for the airport. I ran upstairs to get something and when I came back down, I saw my sandwich. On Ben’s plate for an afternoon snack. Guess I will be getting something at the airport after all.

I drove to the airport in the rental car. Rental? Yes. A couple of weeks before Christmas, some idiot backed his truck into my van while I was stopped in a turning lane in the road and he was backing up to park. The other driver tried to give a different version of what happened to his insurance company, but this occurred right in front of a police station and an officer was on the scene right away. The official police report agreed with my account of what happened.

Due to the holidays, and the body shop finding more damage than originally estimated, I did not have my van for over a month.

V__97FA%20-%20Copy.jpg

WP_20151217_002.jpg

Does this look like over $4,000 damage to you?

The drive to the airport was mostly uneventful, except at one point I was blinded by the light of the setting sun. There were no issues at the airport or with my flight, except that our arrival in Orlando was almost an hour earlier than scheduled. How does that happen?!?

DSCF9509.jpg

Manchester NH airport

WP_20160107_007.jpg

I don’t usually fly into Orlando at night

WP_20160107_011.jpg

Really bad Faux-No-Rail selfie. I’m not mad. Just tired!

Fortunately, Teena was monitoring the flight and was waiting for me at the airport.

As we drove to her house, we chatted. After we got into the house, we turned on the tv, but didn’t pay much attention as we chatted.

I don’t want to invade Teena’s privacy, so I’m not comfortable posting many pictures of her house, but I will say that there were more Disney touches than you will find in a newly renovated Beach Club Room. Disney shower curtains, soap dispensers and theme park pictures in the bathroom. A Disney lamp and Mickey Mouse tv in the bedroom (I have the same tv…). Disney artwork, Disney plates.

But my favorite thing of all- the Basket of Bands!

WP_20160110_056.jpg

I want this!!!

Teena remembered I had brought a CD of the Photopass pictures from Jeanne and Lily’s Christmas vacation visit. We loaded the pictures onto Teena’s computer and she looked at them while I settled into bed.

The next day we would be getting to work early, then having some fun late.

Next up: This House is For the Birds and Whistle While We Work

Last edited:
It's crazy that I would be the first of your readers to report in, when I am so far behind on your other trip reports. But I intend to finish them! So, will sign on here as well. Looking forward to it!

I'm here! Yay for a relatively easy departure day. And I love Teena's basket of bands! That's like a life goal right there!

I'm joining in! I love that basket of magic bands, such a good idea if you're fortunate enough to have that many. I can't wait to read about your mini-trip!

Great start to your report. Boy I'd love to have a wee basket of bands like that oh and a Mickey Mouse tv sounds wonderful. You are an amazing friend and so very kind to help Teena at such a time. I'm sure she appreciated the kindness and care shown to her by you in her time of need. The world is a better place for having people like you both. Wonderful ladies both of you :goodvibes:hug:

Great start to your report. Boy I'd love to have a wee basket of bands like that oh and a Mickey Mouse tv sounds wonderful. You are an amazing friend and so very kind to help Teena at such a time. I'm sure she appreciated the kindness and care shown to her by you in her time of need. The world is a better place for having people like you both. Wonderful ladies both of you :goodvibes:hug:

Dee was so helpful and man can that woman work!!!! With my COPD, I am limited to what I can do and she just took over. I am so lucky to have met so many wonderful people working at the BC who I don't think of as guests ...they are dear lifelong friends.

The basket was much fuller. The picture is only mine, Jeanne's and Lily's bands. Lily is so excited for her purple one that will be coming for our September "Grand" vacation. That is our name for grandparent/grandchild vacations to WDW!

I'll be joining in! This was very kind of you to give Teena a hand packing up her home.

I remember seeing Teena in your previous TR's I believe - I think it's great that you were there to help her with her move and spend some time with her. One day I would love to decorate my whole apartment with Disney touches. Can't wait to read more!

Yay a new report! This one clearly represents all that is wonderful about the Dis. Where else could you meet someone that you'd be willing to fly across the country for, just to help organize her things.

You and Teena are so lucky to have found each other!

Agree to everyone's posts above. Dee, you and Teena are two of the sweetest women ever. My Beach Club buddies are a major reason I just love the BC :grouphug:

I am here! Great start. First I want to say, that sandwich sounded delicious! Guess would need to ask Ben if it was tasty.

So great you went to help Teena. Such a whirlwind and you came through to help her out! Look forward to reading.

It's crazy that I would be the first of your readers to report in, when I am so far behind on your other trip reports. But I intend to finish them! So, will sign on here as well. Looking forward to it!

:welcome:

First again. :cheer2:

Who knows? Maybe last, too.

But no matter and no rush. Just glad to have you reading my reports. Catch up when you can.

Thanks!

:goodvibes

I'm here! Yay for a relatively easy departure day. And I love Teena's basket of bands! That's like a life goal right there!

It was not bad at all. Normally I like flying out first thing in the morning so that there is less time for me to stress out about all the things that could go wrong, but I was actually relatively calm all day.

I was bummed out about my sandwich, though. Ben said it was delicious!

The band-basket was awesome. And Teena knew what every one of them was.

:goodvibes:

I'm here :moped:
Scooting out to leave youngest to cubs but I'll be back!!!!

:welcome: again!

Teena and I are both lucky to have found each other and all of our other friends we have met through our mutual love for Disney. We had such a great time together!

:thumbsup2

I'm joining in! I love that basket of magic bands, such a good idea if you're fortunate enough to have that many. I can't wait to read about your mini-trip!

Glad to have you here!

Of all of the Disney touches at Teena's house, I think that was my favorite. Teena's family loves Disney, she loved her job at the Beach Club and her enthusiasm for what she did showed all the time.

::yes::

Dee was so helpful and man can that woman work!!!! With my COPD, I am limited to what I can do and she just took over. I am so lucky to have met so many wonderful people working at the BC who I don't think of as guests ...they are dear lifelong friends.

The basket was much fuller. The picture is only mine, Jeanne's and Lily's bands. Lily is so excited for her purple one that will be coming for our September "Grand" vacation. That is our name for grandparent/grandchild vacations to WDW!

I wanted to do so much more...

Wait 'til I get to the part when I help you "purge" some stuff. Not the right job for a second generation hoarder. ;)
But I got it all home...

We are so lucky to have found each other. I truly believe that I connected with our great group of friends through you, going back to my very first trip when I reached out to some of them. And then sticking around the FAQ because of the friendships there.

Thank you for the wonderful visit!

You and Lily are going to have such an amazing trip!

:hug:

Last edited:
I'll be joining in! This was very kind of you to give Teena a hand packing up her home.

It was my pleasure to help out a little bit.

::yes::

I remember seeing Teena in your previous TR's I believe - I think it's great that you were there to help her with her move and spend some time with her. One day I would love to decorate my whole apartment with Disney touches. Can't wait to read more!

Yes, Teena was an important part of many of my past trips. This was the first time that we spent an extended amount of time together and it was wonderful!

Teena and Bob's Florida house is beautiful and the Disney touches were just right!

:goodvibes

Yay a new report! This one clearly represents all that is wonderful about the Dis. Where else could you meet someone that you'd be willing to fly across the country for, just to help organize her things.

I'm sure this will come as a shock, but I actually love to organize... I also enjoy the process of packing, figuring what things should go in which boxes. And labelling... I love labelling...

:lmao:

You and Teena are so lucky to have found each other!

This!

:hug:

Agree to everyone's posts above. Dee, you and Teena are two of the sweetest women ever. My Beach Club buddies are a major reason I just love the BC :grouphug:

AWWWWWWW!!!

I agree- I love all of my BC buddies and I'm so grateful for my friendship with you!

:grouphug:

Last edited:
I am here! Great start. First I want to say, that sandwich sounded delicious! Guess would need to ask Ben if it was tasty.

So great you went to help Teena. Such a whirlwind and you came through to help her out! Look forward to reading.

I asked. Ben said the sandwich was really good. :(

I was glad I was able to go out to help. I also appreciated my family being so willing for me to go.

The only time I had an issue with Mark was when I was complaining how difficult it was having multiple trip reports going at the same time. He didn't say anything, but his look reminded me that within a year, I had 3 trips to Disney without him.

I'll be making it up to him in October.

:woohoo:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter