OOOOH please share!! Love this idea!
I'll try to figure out how to post to share! They were really useful.
We had a similar Tower of Terror/Elevator story. My, at the time, 7 year old went on TOT, was terrified, and the refused to go on elevators for the rest of the trip.
I would have been terrified at age 7! I was well into my 20s the first time I rode it and was terrified then. Would they go on it on a future trip??

Shopping at Disney Springs

We left Bonnet Creek just before 5pm to go to Disney Springs and had parked in the Lime Garage by 5:10pm. It was less than a 10-minute drive from our resort. Our dinner reservation wasn’t until 7pm but we wanted some time to shop before eating. Specifically, we were on a hunt for magic bands and an autograph book for DD5, since we had brought one from home for DD7.

Going through Security, the guard looking through my bag goes, “You have a lot of glow sticks in here!” That was supposed to be a surprise, but it got DD7’s attention. I tried to shush him but it was too late.

We started at World of Disney.

World of Disney.jpg

They told us they were sold out of magic bands but that we should try Pin Traders. DD5 picked out an autograph book with all the princesses on it. I tried mobile ordering the book with the help of a Cast Member at the back of the store but it wasn’t working for me so we got in line toward the front.

We ducked into the Marketplace Co-op next, but they also told us to try Pin Traders for magic bands. Pin Traders had 2 options, but both were $35 and not designs we were excited about. The Cast Member there told us we could find cheaper options at the Emporium at Magic Kingdom on our first day, so we decided we would do that.

As we were leaving, the girls spotted the Carousel and begged to ride. It was $5 for 2 tokens. I thought the sign had said that one adult was free with each child, but it apparently said that children under 42 inches must have an adult accompany them for free, which meant that children over 42 inches do not get a free adult.

This led to some confusion when my dad and I tried to follow the girls onto the ride. The Cast Member asked for our tokens, which we hadn't bought, and said only the girls could go on. We told the girls to go without us, but they were refusing to go. DD5 was scared to go on the carousel alone, and DD7 wouldn’t go without her. The CM said my dad and I could go this one time without tokens, which was very nice of her.

It was awkward to watch the CMs having to lift the other kids onto their horses. There were a lot of kids who might have been tall enough to ride alone, but they couldn’t get on and off the horses on their own. My kids would have been upset to have strangers lifting them. We joked that Disney should be paying the parents to ride vs. the other way around.

DD7 picked a horse but DD5 wanted to ride in a carriage that ended up rocking back and forth, making both my dad and I feel a little queasy (and I was riding backward). At least it was a quick ride, only about 2 min.

DD7 Horse3.jpg

DD5 and Gpa.jpg
DD7 Horse2.jpg

As we were walking off the Carousel, the girls saw Once Upon a Toy and begged to go in (the store designers knew what they were doing with that entrance and location in view of the carousel!). I said okay, but we’re not buying anything.

Once Upon a Toy.jpg

They begged for the Ariel bubble wands, and Pat said yes. We had looked for some cheaper ones at Target earlier that day, but Target didn’t have any. This came back to haunt me later on because I would say, “We’re not buying anything” as we went into other stores and DD7 said, “You always say that but then we get to buy something!”

We walked by the Lego Store and saw some old favorites as well as some new installments we hadn’t seen before. We always have to get that picture with the water dragon.

Dragon.jpg

Star Wars.jpg

Frozen.jpg

We passed the T-Rex Restaurant, which DD5 said she wants to eat at next time.

Trex.jpg

Our next stop was Gideon’s. I thought if we put our name in 30-45 min before dinner, that we might get in by the time we finished eating. We were added to the virtual line at 6:26pm and were told it was a 3 hour, 10 min wait. 190 minutes! We realized it was going to be after 9:30pm before we could even get in line to order and decided to bail and try another night. I was able to cancel from my phone after we ate dinner.

It was time to go to one of the dinners I was most excited for this trip!

So excited to join in!

Our family is *not* the long road trip kind, but it sound like you all did very well with it. And, yes, it's nice not to have to stop every 45 minutes for a kid. My girls will surprise me and go the full 3 hours to visit extended family, when we used to have to break at least once if not twice.

I can't wait to hear about dinner. I know it was a priority ADR for you all.

So excited to join in!

Our family is *not* the long road trip kind, but it sound like you all did very well with it. And, yes, it's nice not to have to stop every 45 minutes for a kid. My girls will surprise me and go the full 3 hours to visit extended family, when we used to have to break at least once if not twice.

I can't wait to hear about dinner. I know it was a priority ADR for you all.
Glad you're here! We've done a lot of long road trips and handle them pretty well, this was the best yet with fewer stops. I'll be posting about the dinner soon, it was really good and I was so glad we ended up getting this ADR!

Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'

We ate at Homecomin’ in November 2018 and I’ve been dreaming about the food and drinks since then. My parents weren’t with us on that trip, so I knew I wanted to take them this trip. I had to sign up for dining alerts to get this one. Last time I had the Apple Pie a la Mode moonshine drink, and I bought the stuff at home to make it at every Thanksgiving and Christmas since then.

We had a reservation at 7pm and checked in around 6:30pm. We asked for an outside table and were sat at 6:38pm.

Pat and I agreed to order two drinks and share both. The first was the Passionfruit Daiquiri (Flor de Cana Rum, Cointreau, passionfruit, lime juice and simple syrup, garnished with an edible flower).

Passionfruit Daquiri.jpg

It was really good, probably my favorite of the two. It was better cold, but you could taste the passionfruit a bit stronger as the drink warmed up (which happened quickly due to the heat outside). Our second drink was The Local (RumHaven coconut water rum, lim, simple syrup and fresh pineapple). This was a very close second for me, it was refreshing and light.

The Local.jpg

The drinks were a little smaller than I expected, and not very strong. We ordered strawberry lemonades for the girls, which the adults all really enjoyed too! They were super sweet.

Strawberry Lemonade.jpg

We ordered two appetizers, the Bunch of Puppies (house-made hush puppies served with pimento cheese and red jalapeño jelly) and Church Lady Deviled Eggs (HFK-style whole deviled eggs). We had the hush puppies on our last trip, so I was excited to have them again. They’re cooked perfectly, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The pimento cheese is smooth, not chunky, and the jelly isn’t too spicy. It was all so good together.

Hush Puppies.jpg

We ordered the deviled eggs to have 2 without bacon (only 3 of us were sharing them), which our server said they could do, but they all came with bacon on top. I don’t like meat touching my food but just pulled the bacon off because I really wanted to try these. They were good, piled high with the best part, the filling! But overall, just normal good deviled eggs.

Eggs.jpg

It was hot outside but not too bad in the shade and with the fans on the patio area.

DD5.jpg

The rest of our food is coming up next.

Homecomin', Part 2

I ordered the girls the Fried Chicken Tenders from the kids’ menu, but with Gardein chick’n. The kids' items come with a veggie and a starch. I ordered Mac n’ cheese for their starch and asked if they could have just carrots instead of the carrots & peas mix listed. Our server said they couldn’t separate the carrots but offered fruit instead, so we went with that.

Kids Plate.jpg

I ordered the Kitchen Plate, which is a sampling of three sides. I had a hard time deciding which sides to order. I landed on the Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Veggie & Potatoes and Summer Squash Casserole. I wished I had ordered a side of Gardein chick’n instead of one of the veggie options, which I’ve read you can sub for a side, but it was all very good. The mashed potatoes were my favorite, but I wished I had ordered them without the cheese, it wasn’t needed.

Kitchen Plate.jpg

I had to take most of it with me to go! The food was really rich, especially after the appetizers. I also sampled some of Pat’s biscuit, which was so good. I wish the Kitchen Plate came with a biscuit, but I would have had to order it as one of the three sides.

My mom and Pat both ordered Art’s Famous Fried Chicken. Pat got his with the mashed potatoes (and cheese - he also agreed it wasn’t needed) and my mom ordered hers as all white meat with green beans as her side.

Famous Fried Chicken.jpg

Famous Fried Chicken2.jpg

My dad ordered the Fried Chicken Sandwich.

Fried Chicken Sandwich.jpg

I had planned to try dessert here since we didn't last time, but once again we were too full. I think the consensus was the chicken was really good here (though Pat thought the chicken was better back in 2018 than on this trip). After our second visit, we would go back again!

Yes Maam.jpg

We finished dinner around 8pm. We decided to walk back to Gideon’s too see if the line was moving faster or slower than we were originally told. They said the 190 minutes was still accurate, and we didn’t want to wait another 100 minutes, so I canceled our spot in the queue at 8:11pm, and we headed back to our car.

The girls broke out their bubble wands and were having fun making with their new toys already.

DD5 Bubbles.jpg

Bubbles.jpg

Disney Springs.jpg

We were back home by 8:40pm. Pat set up our work computers and monitors at the dining room table for the next day (the Sunday Scaries were especially bad while at Disney), and I read Harry Potter to the girls before bed.

Joining in! Looks like a great start to your trip so far. Your girls are adorable. :)

Monday, June 6, 2022

Work + Gideon's

Pat and I worked from about 8am to 5:30pm, which is not a bad work day for me. I went downstairs to sit by the pool and read over lunch. I got in about 15 minutes before I started getting several pings on my phone, so I headed back upstairs to handle those. I enjoyed Homecomin’ leftovers for lunch, which helped brighten my day.

My parents took the girls to the pool and lazy river for about 2.5-3 hours while we worked during the afternoon. While I very much wished I could have gone with them, it was also nice to be able to extend our vacation by working part of it.

We left for Disney Springs at 5:40pm and were parked by 5:52pm. We went straight for Gideon’s with the goal of getting in the virtual queue even earlier, and with hopes that Monday nights wouldn’t be as bad as Sundays.

There was not even a virtual queue! They said the wait was 20 minutes in the regular line. It was 6:02pm and our dinner reservation wasn’t until 7:15pm so we hopped in line. We waited almost exactly 20 minutes before getting inside (where there was another short line). While we waited, we enjoyed live music from Raglan Road across the way, as well as plenty of space to sit down while we were in line.

Raglan Road.jpg

We were handed a menu so we could decide what we wanted to order while we waited.

June Menu.jpg

I noticed while waiting in line that the cookies are almost a half pound - that is heavy!

Gideon Sign.jpg

We were at the front of the line before we knew it. There was a tiny baby in line ahead of us (I think they said 10 days old), which entertained my daughters while we waited.

Gideon's Bakehouse.jpg

The inside had a gothic theme, a mix of Harry Potter and Haunted Mansion vibes, but also unique.

DD7 Bookshelves.jpg
Gideon Pictures.jpg
Gideon Bookshelves.jpg
Girls at Gideons.jpg

DD5 asked if the guy in the picture behind the counter was Voldemort :rotfl: Which is why I mentioned Harry Potter vibes!

Portrait at Gideon's.jpg

I asked the Cashier if that was Gideon and she said it was a man who entered the building and was never seen again. Creepy! There was steam coming out of vents in front of the registers.

Steam.jpg

We were out by 6:35pm. They didn’t have either coffee cake option so we ordered one each of the Original Chocolate Chip, Pistachio Toffee, Cookies & Cream, Peanut Butter Crunch, Triple Chocolate, and White Chocolate Caramel Macadamia Nut. My parents ordered 5 cookies, which meant that between us, we had ordered about 5 pounds of cookies! Pat and I also ordered a Peanut Butter Cold Brew to share, despite knowing the caffeine was a bad idea at night. But I had heard so much about the Cold Brew, we had to try it.

More pics and review of Gideon’s to follow.

Gideon's Coffee & Cookies

We were so excited to have our Gideon’s!

Gideon's Bag.jpg

The Peanut Butter cold brew was amazing. It didn’t taste too much like peanut butter until we were down to the bottom of it. I wish we had this place close by just for the cold brew - I want to try the other flavors!

PB Cold Brew.jpg

We tasted 3 of the cookies when we got back to the hotel this evening, and the others later during the trip. They were huge, and very rich. They were firm on the outside and very soft, almost like cookie dough, on the inside. These are truly the perfect cookies.

My favorite was the Cookies and Cream, which is one the girls had asked for, and not the one I expected to be my favorite.

Cookies n Cream.jpg

My close second was the Original Chocolate Chip, it’s just hard to beat that cookie dough taste with the huge chocolate chips.

Original Chocolate Chip.jpg

I’d probably rank the Triple Chocolate as 3rd, though it’s a tough choice.

Triple Chocolate.jpg

The Peanut Butter Crunch was like eating rich peanut butter, also so good!

Peanut Butter Crunch.jpg

The White Chocolate Macadamia Nut surprised me, it had the right ratio of white chocolate and nuts, and I liked it more than I thought I would. I was bummed there was no coffee cake option, so this was our back-up order.

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut.jpg

I expected the Pistachio Toffee to be my favorite. It was very good, but I liked the others better. I think it could have used even more toffee flavor.

Pistachio Toffee.jpg

Gideon's cold brew and cookies truly lived up to the hype for us. We'll have to get back to try more on our next trip!

Jaleo

We headed to Jaleo to check in early after we finished at Gideon’s.

Jaleo.jpg

I checked in at 6:45pm for our 7:15pm reservation and asked if we could sit outside. They said the outside section was closed, but we later saw other people eating out there. We were sat at 6:53pm.

We started with a pitcher of the Rosé Sangria (Lobetia Rosé, gin, vermouth, seasonal fruit, citrus). I had offered to drive home so just tried a little bit of it, but it would have filled more than 8 glasses if we had finished it! They poured an entire bottle of rosé over the other ingredients at the table.

Rose.jpg
Sangria.jpg

They told us this was a sweeter sangria option but it was not very sweet, the rosé wine was the strongest taste. It was strong though, I was feeling it after less than a glass. We might try the white sangria next time.

Gma and Gpa Jaleo.jpg
Jess and Pat Jaleo.jpg

I knew this was going to be a longer meal, so I broke out the scratch off coloring books I had brought for the girls.

DD5 Jaleo.jpg
DDs Jaleo.jpg

We decided to take the meal slow and order a couple items at a time. We ordered grilled cheese and potatoes for the girls, both of which were a big hit. The grilled cheese came with Manchego cheese, which DD7 especially liked.

Grilled Cheese.jpg

The adults really liked the potatoes on the side, too. Up next are the small plates the adults ordered.

Jaleo, Part 2

The Jamón Serrano (24-month cured Serrano ham) was delivered first. It was sliced thin and served with little breadsticks. Pat said this was his favorite item of the night.

Jamon Serrano.jpg

We also ordered a cheese plate with 3 cheeses.

1/ Valdeón - An intensely flavored blue cheese of pasteurized cow and goat milk, paired with raisins and Pedro Ximénez compressed pears
2/ Racion?? I didn’t fully catch the name. They didn’t have the Tetilla we wanted to order (semi-soft cow’s milk cheese) but said this one was similar. It was unpasteurized, and they said Jaleo was the only place in America that sells it. Served with quince paste, which they described as guava flavored. If anyone knows what this is, please let me know!
3/ Queso Manchego - A traditional unpasteurized Manchego cheese paired with moscatel compressed apples

Cheese Plate.jpg

The blue cheese was some of the best I have had, but I didn’t like the pear paired with it. The Racion (?) had a kick to it, it was excellent. DD7 didn’t like it though, she said it tasted like soap. It’s hard to beat good Manchego cheese, and it was especially good with the apples. I would absolutely order the cheese plate again.

We also put in an initial order of the Pan con Tomate (toasted slices of crispy bread brushed with fresh tomato), which came out last.

Tomato Bread.jpg

My dad said this was his favorite dish. It was good, but more basic flavors for me. I think the girls ate some of this one too. After finishing the bread, we put in two more orders.

First we tried the Espinacas a la Catalana (sautéed spinach with pine nuts, raisins and apples).

Spinach Jaleo.jpg

This was a surprising dish for me. I don’t always like cooked spinach because it gets slimy when it’s overcooked, but this dish was cooked perfectly, the spinach still had some crispness to it. The sauce it came with was light and flavorful, I would order this dish again.

The last item we ordered was the Tortilla de Patatas (Spanish omelet with potato and onions). At $12 I thought this was the best value, it was large and rich.

Omelet Jaleo.jpg

This item was my and my mom’s favorite dish (the cheese plate was a close 2nd for me, the Jamón Serrano a close 2nd for her). I couldn’t stop eating this one, it was savory and just perfect in every way. We almost finished it and took the rest to go.

Omelet Jaleo 2.jpg

We were very full after the omelet, and even though my dad didn’t eat the omelet (he doesn’t care for eggs), he was full too. We decided to save some room for dessert elsewhere. The sun was going down and we could see the Disney Springs hot air balloon from our table. The tables outside would have had a very nice view!

Hot Air Balloon.jpg

The bathrooms here were pretty. I have a weird obsession with Disney bathrooms.

Jaleo Bathroom.jpg

I didn’t notice this “bench” until we were walking out around 8:35pm:

Lips Couch Jaleo.jpg

Overall, it was an excellent meal and I would love to go back. Tapas are always more fun with larger groups so you can try more things, and everything we ordered other than the ham was vegetarian. There were even more options I could have tried from the veggie menu. I would highly recommend this for a date night or large groups.

Jaleo looks yummy!

I knew this was going to be a longer meal, so I broke out the scratch off coloring books I had brought for the girls.

I love these in theory but I hate the little bits of black stuff. My in-laws will have the kids do them at my dining room table sometimes and then end up making quite the mess.

The bathrooms here were pretty. I have a weird obsession with Disney bathrooms.

Jaleo Bathroom.jpg

I didn’t notice this “bench” until we were walking out around 8:35pm:

Lips Couch Jaleo.jpg
Oh I love the bathroom and the bench! So fun!!

Our plan for this day was to relax, swim, and then go to Disney Springs in the evening for shopping and dinner. @StarWarsMomofGirls! shared her PPT template for daily plans (THANK YOU!!), which I edited for our trip and then added to my phone’s lock screen each day so I could easily remember our plans, especially what time we needed to leave to get to each place. This was our schedule for the day:

June 5 Schedue.jpg

I love these lock screen ideas! I saw it on @StarWarsMomofGirls! report, and I really want to figure out how to make it for our trips. Would be sooo handy.

We ate at Homecomin’ in November 2018 and I’ve been dreaming about the food and drinks since then. My parents weren’t with us on that trip, so I knew I wanted to take them this trip.

We eat at Homecomin' every single trip! I have been four times now, and each time our group has at least one person who is a first-timer. Everyone has always said they have to come back!

Loving your report! I am going to go back to read some old reports while I follow along here.

Served with quince paste, which they described as guava flavored. If anyone knows what this is, please let me know!
It’s membrillo, the pulp of quince fruit that’s been boiled, puréed, and slow baked in a low oven for over 10 hours to dry it out. You can get it in little tubs at some high end grocery stores, or (if you’re an ambitious foodie who lives where quince bushes grow) you can make your own, which is much tastier!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter