White Noise Machine ?

OP, make sure your DD is willing to wear earbuds if you go with an app. I can't stand to have things in my ear, neither earbuds or earplugs. So neither of those solutions would work for me. I'd have to go with a machine next to me.

Hi. My daughter has been home from college a few days here and there the last two months or so. Every single morning around 4:30/5 am the birds start chirping. We live in the suburbs and this is exactly how it is every year but she is so focused on them that she can't sleep and she is one to stay up late. She is home just until this morning and she barely made it to 5am. She has tried keeping music on, a tv (she doesn't have one in her room but she tried sleeping in the family room) and I bought her a fan which isn't very loud but that did nothing.

So I was just looking at Bed, Bath and Beyond and they have quite a selection of white noise machines. Does anyone use one? If so can you recommend one please. I'd want one that plugs in instead of batteries since it would need to stay on all night and I don't want to constantly have to change batteries. Also, some make various noises and some are just a loud fan type noise. I'm thinking one with various sounds would work better? Oh and yes the birds are quite loud and active so it would need to be one that is loud yet not so loud that it would keep the rest of us hearing it from our bedrooms. Thanks!

We have used a white noise machine for 20 years and love it. I have fibromyalgia with sleep issues - this helps me tremendously. We actually have two (one for our motorhome). They are plug in or batteries. Not sure if it is still made or not - it's a sleep therapy machine from Hammacher Schlemmer.

Don't get one of the cheap ones as they have a 'tract' - (beginning and end). Those drive me nuts. The one we have is continuous - no obvious beginning or ending, all the same.

I have a Homedics SoundSpa at home, and a free app called Relax Melodies for when I travel. I sleep better when I have noise too. I like them both because they let you layer sounds (rain + ocean waves + wind chimes).

It's funny how you sleep better with what you're used to. I lived on the 8th floor of a dorm with windows that didn't open when I was in school. When I came home, the chirping birds woke me up too. Not long after school was out, we went on a family vacation. We stayed in a hotel that apparently had a lot of noisy guests (doors slamming all night, etc.) Or, at least, that's what my family told me. None of them could sleep, but I slept like a baby.

Re: the previous poster's comment about wearing earphones while you sleep with an app... I've never done that. I just turn up the speaker on my phone and put the phone on the table next to the bed. As long as you have the room to yourself and aren't bothering anyone, I don't think you'd need to wear headphones.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter