Who has been to Walt Disney Family Museum?

Girimama33

"I've disgraced the forces of evil."
I know I shouldn't be posting here... :blush:
but I wanted to get some advice from the posters here before it got moved. This board is much more active. :goodvibes
Anyway, We are going to San Francisco for an overnight trip this weekend. We should arrive in the city at noon, and plan on going to the Walt Disney Family Museum.
Have any fellow DISers been there before?
Do you have any advice?
Do you think DD would like it (she is almost 5)?

We booked a room at the Fisherman's Wharf Hilton on points and are going to our favorite SF restaurant since we are close to North Beach...The Stinking Rose. On Sunday, we are going to the California Academy of Sciences. DD loves that place.
We are going to have a fun weekend...but I can't wait for the following weekend when we drive down for our DL trip. pixiedust:

Thanks for reading!

Yes, she would have a good time. I think it is geared for the adults more, but my kids enjoyed it (they are a bit older though). It will definitely get her excited for your DL trip.

If you have not been to the Academy before, check the times for the planetarium shows and you might want to go in the big bioshpere as early as possible. Try the Vietnamese shrimp rolls in the cafeteria with peanut sauce, yum (it gets packed-try to eat off prime time).

We went when we were in San Fran in September. I don't have any kids, but I would think they might get bored. It's a pretty big museum, we spent about 4 hours there and that didn't include seeing a movie in the theater. There are animation clips and Mickeys everywhere, but the focus is much more on his life, not the theme parks. The animation clips are there to demonstrate the new filming methods he came up with or the political sentiment of the particular time period, etc. I loved it, I just don't know how much of that a 5 year old would be interested in or understand. Then again, maybe she will just take ir for what she can understand and enjoy all the old pictures and cartoons.

We went to the Stinking Rose too. Loved it!!

Thank you for the replies.
We love the Stinking Rose and always go there when we are in SF...creatures of habit I guess. Must have the Bagna Calda....mmmmmmmm.

We have been to the CAS before. Didn't get into the Planetarium. I don't think DD was old enough. I don't know if we will try the cafe again. We ate there last time, and found it so expensive...but yummy. DH talked about packing in food this time.

I hear there are a lot of interactive exhibits. She loves that kind of stuff. Maybe this will be a good time to go and get an idea of the place. Then, maybe I can take a solo trip by myself to take it all in. :scratchin

I went with a group of ladies. On the average it took us 6 hours to complete the museum. I don't think a child of 4+ would have much to do there. There is so much history to read. We all enjoyed it soooo much:thumbsup2. :tink:

Do you have to book your "visit" ahead of time? I was looking into it a few months ago and it seemed like you had to schedule your visit.

Do you have to book your "visit" ahead of time? I was looking into it a few months ago and it seemed like you had to schedule your visit.

No, no need to book ahead, unless perhaps there is a special event. Went a couple of weeks ago and went right up and bought our tix at the counter at that time.

The exhibits (separate ticket) may be pre-booked for a particular date/time. They can also be purchased at the window the day of as well.

No, no need to book ahead, unless perhaps there is a special event. Went a couple of weeks ago and went right up and bought our tix at the counter at that time.

The exhibits (separate ticket) may be pre-booked for a particular date/time. They can also be purchased at the window the day of as well.

Thanks. I just thought it was weird that online I had to choose a day of visit.

It's a great museum for Disney fans. The exhibits are very engaging but it really isn't a childrens' museum per se. I especially love the scale model of Disneyland that is in the lower gallery. It's kinetic and goes into night-time mode from time to time with lights coming up on Main Street etc. I always linger over that model. But I even love the attractions posters they have hung outside the hall on the way to the restrooms. Those posters are so nostalgic for me.

hmmmm I think I know.... ;) I hope you have a great time!! Let me know how it is, I'm considering going next month for my birthday, I also want to go to Alcatraz, 20+ years this close to SF and I've never been there either.......

I went with DBF a year and a half ago, and we loved it! I believe we spent four hours in there, but they were closing so we had to rush the last bit. I also think it's geared towards older kids/adults, as there's a lot of reading, and very little interactive exhibits besides picking up a phone to hear someone speak and a few touchscreen things. I would do a solo trip beforehand just in case ;). The museum is definitely more about Walt's life and less about Disneyland. Have a wonderful trip though!

My family went soon after it was opened. It's a really beautiful museum, full of interactive exhibits. You can go through it quickly, or really linger and learn a lot about Walt Disney. My DD was older, and did like it, but it's not really geared for little kids. Still, it's a great place!:)

hmmmm I think I know.... ;) I hope you have a great time!! Let me know how it is, I'm considering going next month for my birthday, I also want to go to Alcatraz, 20+ years this close to SF and I've never been there either.......

Kerri,
Make sure you pre-purchase Alcatraz tickets at least 2 weeks beforehand. They never have any ferrys available the day of. Sounds like a fun way to celebrate your birthday!

I am so torn...I think we are going to go for it. DH can hopefully keep DD occupied in areas she likes while I check out the rest. I really want to see the SW exhibit before it goes away...This is the last weekend for it.

We visited last August, and my teenage daughter loved it. We spent about 2hrs. there. I'm glad we spent the time, there was a lot to see and learn. It is definitely a museum though. What's nice is its location on the Presidio. If you have another adult with you, they could always take your 5 year old on a walk outside and let you look longer. You can also take free shuttles that run the Presidio over to the Golden Gate bridge and visitor center. We did that too.

Also, LucasFilm has offices on the Presidio. You can see a Yoda Fountain and some life-sized models of different Star Wars characters in the lobby. Ou daughter is a Star Wars fan so we did this too.

We visited last August, and my teenage daughter loved it. We spent about 2hrs. there. I'm glad we spent the time, there was a lot to see and learn. It is definitely a museum though. What's nice is its location on the Presidio. If you have another adult with you, they could always take your 5 year old on a walk outside and let you look longer. You can also take free shuttles that run the Presidio over to the Golden Gate bridge and visitor center. We did that too.

Also, LucasFilm has offices on the Presidio. You can see a Yoda Fountain and some life-sized models of different Star Wars characters in the lobby. Ou daughter is a Star Wars fan so we did this too.

Is LucasFilm within walking distance? DD would love this. She was a Star Wars geek at 3.5. LOL

Kerri,
Make sure you pre-purchase Alcatraz tickets at least 2 weeks beforehand. They never have any ferrys available the day of. Sounds like a fun way to celebrate your birthday!

I am so torn...I think we are going to go for it. DH can hopefully keep DD occupied in areas she likes while I check out the rest. I really want to see the SW exhibit before it goes away...This is the last weekend for it.

I think you should go. My family has been twice, and we have seen the Snow White exhibit. My boys are 13 and 11. Younger DS does get bored after about an hour to an hour and a half at any museum. There were things for him to look at though as the rest of us actually read the placards. My guess is that your five-year-old will get bored, but if she's well-behaved and your husband is willing to keep her entertained some, you should definitely get some time to take in the exhibits. Figure out which parts of the museum your child gravitates toward, and just have DH take extra time at those places while you continue on. There's also a gift shop that interested DS11 some since he likes to wander through stores. Also, there is a big grassy area outside the museum, and you have a great view of the Golden Gate bridge, so you can always have your DH, if he's willing, take your daughter outside for a while for a change of scenery; re-entry is allowed. There are benches and tables close to the museum as well, and we ate our packed lunches there. The Snow White exhibit was nice but somehow smaller than I expected. We spent about an hour at it. There is a $10 upcharge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter