Who is behind the scene here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4cruisin

Proud Charter Member Of The Tagless Clique
I am an avid reader of this board. I have gained extensive knowledge from reading threads written by disers that I both agree and disagree with. This is what a discussion board is all about, or so I thought.

I am very dismayed that once someone has something negative to say about DCL, the thread is locked. This is censorship at it's worst.

We are booked for the Jan. 25th cruise and have been looking forward to it for 13 months. My dsis and our husbands have been talking and planning it and learning so much from other's experience on this board. When the NLV broke out, I really was not very concerned and never gave any thought to changing our plans. I had confidence that DCL would handle the situation in the best interest of its customers. I was pleased to see that they did just that by offering cruisers the option of cancelling, offering discounts to passengers that became ill and taking the ship out of service to totally disinfect it.

I must admit that if I risk being quarantined to my room for 72 hours because I am tired, or I have overeaten and get a queasy stomach or because my husband gets motion sick (which he does at the drop of a hat), I will have to rethink how I want to spend my vacation $$$ and whether I want to risk losing that money on DCL. I chose DCL because they are worth the $$$ in my estimation, but now, I am not so sure. I am paying for a vacation and if I want to stay in bed in the morning or nap and miss dinner, I do not want to worry that a room steward or waiter is going to decide I am sick and make a report on me. I'm intelligent enough to know that if I am really sick, I would not go out of my room and risk infecting someone else. Besides, from other's reports of the NLV, you can't go out of your room unless there is a bathroom 2 feet away from you!

As the moderators said, we have not heard directly from 4nana, but I do believe Target and I also believe that she has spoken to 4nana and her family and knows the story.

It disturbs me that this board has turned into a place where we cannot express our opinions or thoughts without fear of being locked out. I know that this will be locked immediately but I thought it was important for everyone to see how I feel.

This has been a wonderful board, but I will now be looking for other boards where I will be free to disagree and not be locked out.

Nancy

I am. My name is Pete Werner, and I own the site. The thread in question was locked because it was turning into an unsubstantiated rumor mill that had people speculating on top of speculation, and in some cases, passing erroneous information. As the moderator said, when the individual at the center of the issue returns, she can post what happened. Until then, we have a "he said/she said" and it needed to stop.

For the record, we do not lock threads simply because we don't like them. If that were the case, believe me, a LOT more threads would be locked. In this instance people were getting upset over inuendos and rumors. No facts mind you, just "I heard from so and so". I have been the first person to charge in when I think that Disney has screwed up, believe me, I have always held them to a much higher standard. But, in this case, it became an issue of fairness and disninformation and it was starting to form a mob-mentality.

I'll be speaking to more of the issues in a post I'm in the process of putting together.

Thanks,
Pete

Pete,

I appreciate your quick response to my post. I must respectfully disagree about the "Free 4nana" thread. I personally did not see it turning into a mob mentality, just people rightfully concerned that they would be unnecessarily quarantined after spending so much money on a long planned vacation. I believed that this is what this board is all about...getting input and feedback from others. I will be looking forward to 4nana's report. From her previous posts, she seems like a lovely, family oriented woman that was very much looking forward to a vacation with her family. I would hate to think that it was ruined in any way because a cast member intervened inappropriately.

I do not know her personally, as I do not know anyone on this board personally (except my dsis) but I do not believe that anyone would intentionally diseminate incorrect information on this board.

I still stand by my original statement that posters should have the right to post in disagreement to DCL's practices. But then again, this is not "my" board and you can operate it any way you see fit.

Thank you for allowing me to post my .02 worth.

Nancy

I think you are right. People don't "intentionally diseminate incorrect information on this board", but it turns into a snowball effect. As more and more people add there .02 worth the next persom takes that as fact. Why don't we wait to hear from the person involved to make sure that everything thats being put out here is accurate. Otherwise what purpose has the thread served? People will still believe what they read in the post and not the facts that happened.

Let me clarify. I don't believe that anyone was intentionaly passing bad information. However, in some instances, we have to extend to Disney the same courtesy we would extend to a visitor to the site. People were making speculations that were unfounded, and we would rather see the complete story told. We have always permitted people to share their experiences openly, either good or bad, about DCL, or any other facet of Disney, or for that matter, even how we run these forums. I also own Dreams Unlimited Travel, and have had instances where people have posted that they had a bad experience. We don't delete or lock those threads. Only when we feel an issue is degrading into something unfair will we lock the thread. In this case, we feel that in light of everything Disney has done to contain this problem, that we owe them the benefit of the doubt, and should hear directly from 4nana on her experience. I can guarantee you that she will not be edited or censored in her comments. We don't do that. I'm just asking everyone to reserve judgement until all the FACTS are in.

Thanks,
Pete

And to incorporate my unsoliceted two cents. This board is not the "free press" the owners of it have a right to control it any way they see fit. If someone does not like what they view as censorship (what I view as rumermille control) they certainly have the option of spending the money to create their own board/website to share their personal views! I do not see any duty on the part of the webmasters to allow all views no matter how unfounded or offensive (using different reasons to lock threads) to be posted. I don't recall paying my "dues" to this organization which would allow me to have a vote in what is "published" or not!

"I don't recall paying my "dues" to this organization which would allow me to have a vote in what is "published" or not!"

Now that's offensive....

We had a nice polite discussion going here. No need for exclamation marks and sarcasm.

No one pays dues, howver everyone is entitled to their opinion,(expressed within the rules of the board) without getting slammed by the next poster.

If we don't have input , then it's not a "discussion" board.

I disagree with the statement that individuals do not "intentionally disseminate incorrect information" on this board or elsewhere.

I'm sure that we've all encountered people who like to be the center of attention, who enjoy the feeling of being important, and who like to feel as if they are an "insider" or privileged to information that the general public does not have access to. I think that part of this is human nature.

I have read things on this board that I absolutely (through first-hand experience) know to be untrue.

I agree with the thread being locked because, as many have said, it is pure speculation at this point and has the potential to be damaging to many parties involved.

I never would of read the post had it not been locked. If it was locked to censor negative postings about DCL whether they be true or not, it is having the opposite effect.

Pete, I support your actions and agree that sometimes things do get a little out of hand and that is when reading thru these posts becomes discouraging. As a reader and participant of this site since you starten it, does this make me sound old, I have gained valuable information, discounts, and planned my vacations. You have done more than your share of work and with all of the other web "assistants", this site is one of the more accurate, informative, and enjoyable to visit about WDW and Disney in general. You have been fair over all of these years and any need to assist in cleaning up in this site has my support for "one".

Look at the banner at the top of your screen....negative posts about DCL are bad for business;)

Hi folks! I believe I understand the concerns here. Remember that Dreams Unlimited is not a Not-for-Profit Organization. I am pretty amazed at this site (it is by far the best web/board DIS site on the net). I think this site provides a pretty good service to those of us who are Disney-aholics. The Dreams folks are caught between a rock and a hard place here. By virtue of the fact that they sponsor this site, they do have some responsibility to monitor it and police it. If they step in on this topic they face the prospect of getting the censorship label. If they do nothing, they fear that people will derive the wrong impression about Disney and the Disney Cruise experience basing this impression solely from speculation. The frequent posters may be able to understand what is speculation and what is not, but the new comer or cursory guest may not. I basically think that Dreams is doing the right thing here. I have always believed that the purpose of these boards was to provide a forum for folks to share information and experiences about all things Disney. I certainly have learned a lot from this site. hope none of you leave the boards; you make them more interesting. I for one will be awaiting one specific trip report.... Jack

First, I would like to be clear that I in know way agree with the original post. That said, I would rather have offensive posts locked than to have the moderators get sick of hearing everyones complaints and calling it quits as far as running the boards. I dont know how many people have been on these discussion boards and for how long, but many a board has decided to shut down because they turn into a bad rumer/complaint board. I applaud the people who volunteer many hours to keeping these boards enjoyable to the majority of people.

This site is wonderful source of information on cruising. A lot of work goes into maintaining such a site. Yes, it does benefit DU to have constant plugs and the occasional rave review about their service (well deserved, I'm sure) but I have seen MANY references to other travel agencies and even recommendations to check their competition out. That alone speaks very highly of DU (by the way, we have never used DU, preferring to deal directly w/DCL). So Thank you, DU, for running a classy, well informed site which sticks to topic. Many other sites allow the craziest things to go on! Now, back to planning.......

DU sponsors these boards to get clients, both new and repeat....sorry for my cynicism, but I believe in a far less altruistic reason for the existence of these boards than a 'forum for folks to share experiences about all things Disney'. Its a forum about all things Disney and booking with Dreams Unlimited...

when have you ever seen references to other TA's on this board? I deliberately witheld giving out my TA's name and #, out of respect for DU, and thinking it was against the policy of this board.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to let you guys know, that this board was here long before there was a Dreams Unlimited. It was not created, nor is it maintained to support Dreams Unlimited. Dreams Unlimited sponsers this board like other business sponser other boards in order to offset the cost of running this Board.

I am not an employee of Dreams Unlimited, I have not received any compensation for my involvement in this board from Dreams Unlimited or Pete Werner. In addition, I have no connect with the Disney Company (other than my DVC membership). Therefore I am under no obligation to support either entity.

Why would I limit what is said on this board to just good things??? To be honest, it is an insult to my intergrity that I would even do such a thing. I closed the thread for the reason I stated and ONLY for the reason I stated.

As many have stated, we try to keep the facts separate from the speculations. In that thread, it was becoming difficult to see which was which. Yes there were fact in the thread from long-time posters, but there were also a lot of hysterical speculations.

It is not against board guidelines to recommend another travel agency -- just not a specific agents name. Another words -- I've seen many people recommend AAA, Costco, Cruise441.com, etc which is within the guidelines --- but I cannot recommend 'John Smith' at AAA, etc.

No it is not against board policy to discuss other travel agents on this board. Do a search and you will find plenty of references to other travel agency.

As a matter of fact there is a current thread going on about other cruiselines as we type.

I would like to let you guys know, that this board was here long before there was a Dreams Unlimited. It was not created, nor is it maintained to support Dreams Unlimited. Dreams Unlimited sponsers this board like other business sponser other boards in order to offset the cost of running this Board. I am not an employee of Dreams Unlimited, I have not received any compensation for my involvement in this board from Dreams Unlimited or Pete Werner.

Robin, I was just about to post the same thing. This board is for both good and bad. It is certainly not only here to make or break Dreams Unlimited. Pete has worked hard to provide a site for us Disney Adicts to come for more information and to even in some cases make lifelong friends. These boards started out as one single board and have grown from there. Dreams Unlimited is only one sponsor of the boards.

As for the previous thread being closed--that was what was needed. Moderating can be a difficult job, and determining what should remain open and closed is a judgment call that must be done based on the merits of each thread.

Please respect the board moderator's decision.

Sue Ellen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter