Who is looking forward to Peter Pan live on Dec. 4?

jodifla

WDW lover since 1972
At least they got the casting right this time!

I think Christopher Walken will be a great Hook.

yeah but kinda wish they would have hired a guy to play the role of peter... i know the original production years ago also stared a female as the lead.. but i just feel like it needs to be a guy..

yeah but kinda wish they would have hired a guy to play the role of peter... i know the original production years ago also stared a female as the lead.. but i just feel like it needs to be a guy..

The role of Peter Pan has always (AFAIK) been played by a female. It's difficult to get a small male, who looks like a 10-12 year old boy with the proper vocal range to handle the part. I found this on Wikipedia:

Several productions of Peter Pan were staged early in the 20th century, starting on Broadway in 1905 with a production starring Maude Adams. In a nod to the original play, and the pantomime tradition it derives from, the title role of Peter Pan in the musical is usually played by a woman, including Mary Martin, Sandy Duncan and Cathy Rigby, among others.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Pan_(1954_musical)

I agree with you. It would have been new and refreshing

Our school is doing Peter Pan as this year's pantomime, and Peter is played by a 13 year old boy who hasn't made it through puberty yet - he's perfect for the role! It's a very professional production too - they have been rehearsing for months, and there are over 20 shows between Nov 21 and Dec 22 that will sell out completely, mostly to a paying audience totally unrelated to the school (it's not a big school). But I guess it's easier to find 13 year old pre-pubescent boys in that context.

Speaking of keeping up with theater tradition, I read in Entertainment Weekly that the same guy who plays Smee is playing Mr. Darling. What's up with that, I thought it was tradition for Captain Hook and Mr. Darling to be the same actor?? :confused3

My DDs high school just did Peter Pan (the play) with a male playing Peter Pan and my DD was Tiger Lily. He was the perfect Peter - even though he's a Senior. If I can figure out how to post photos I'll post some.

Most in her high school are watching Peter Pan Live! mainly because one of the pirates is an Alum from the high school. He came and spoke to all the theater kids last Saturday and he was great and told us some little "secrets". Also, Amir, the guy who's in charge of the flying in the NBC show was also in charge of the flying for my DDs show.

There's actually going to be several viewing parties in our town ;)

I'm more excited to watch this with my son than I was Sound of Music - I knew a lot of that would go over his head. But I am not looking forward to repeatedly explaining why Peter Pan is a girl.

We'll be at WDW......so won't get to see it.
Might have to see if the DVR has room for it.

I agree! I've seen a few previews online of rehearsals and Christopher Walken is great as Captain Hook!:thumbsup2

My DDs high school just did Peter Pan (the play) with a male playing Peter Pan and my DD was Tiger Lily. He was the perfect Peter - even though he's a Senior. If I can figure out how to post photos I'll post some.

Most in her high school are watching Peter Pan Live! mainly because one of the pirates is an Alum from the high school. He came and spoke to all the theater kids last Saturday and he was great and told us some little "secrets". Also, Amir, the guy who's in charge of the flying in the NBC show was also in charge of the flying for my DDs show.

There's actually going to be several viewing parties in our town ;)

That's really neat!:)

Tonight is an hour long "Making of Peter Pan" on NBC.

Thank you for the reminder! I almost forgot! I love watching the "making of" movies, shows, etc.:)

Yes, I'm looking forward to watching Peter Pan Live!

Shoot....try to set the DVR for it, but looks like there is a conflict, so we probably won't get to see it.

Although there is a special place in my heart for Mary Martin & Cyril Richard I think this cast is going to do a great job and I can't wait! I agree Walken is going to be great.

I enjoyed the special on the making of Peter Pan. Can't believe how much work goes into one live performance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter