Who's going to Discovery Cove this Sept/Oct? Please sign in.-UPDATED-more pix!

Dizneydaz

DIS Veteran
Hi, I just booked our family's return trip to Discovery Cove thanks to American Express discount and the drop in prices at DC. :cloud9: We went once before, 3 years ago, and had an amazing day! 3 years ago we paid $229 (with AMEX $50 refund ) for Dolphin Experience and $179 for non-dolphin. This year we are only paying $149 to swim with Dolphins and $79 for my DM to not swim with dolphins. 3 years ago it cost $637 for the 3 of us and this year only $427. A savings of $210 about 30%. Whohoo!

It was hard for me to decide which park to add to our DC ticket. We did BG 3 years ago and it was nice, but no AK. Plus it's a pretty long drive to BG from WDW. Probably would only go once. We leave about 100 miles from SW San Diego so we decided to pass on that. By process of elimination we settled on Aquatica. We haven't been there yet and TL and BB are 2 of our favorite things to do while at WDW.

So anyway, I was wondering who else might be going in Sept. or Oct. this year and what park did you decide on for your 14 day ticket? Also how many are in your party?

I will add to this list as people post their info. Maybe some disboarders will be there on the same day?

SEPTEMBER

Tues., 14 ** My2BabiesLexis&Dill (3-DM, and 2 kids) ** Sea World
Tues, 14 ** melissac (DD9(14) BFF, BFF DD(6) and me) **
Wed, 15 ** Samlovesthemouse (2-with DBF)** Sea World
Sun., 19 ** lulubelle6188 (DH and I will be there Sept 19 for our 5th anniversary! ) ** Aquatica
Tues. 21 ** TheTurners (4-DH, DW, DS1, DD3)** Sea World
Tues., 28 ** Dizneydaz (3-DGM71, DM51, DD11)** Aquatica HAD A GREAT TIME!

OCTOBER

Sun., 3rd. ** csmith_nc (DW, DH, DD) ** SW and Aquatica LOVED IT!
Mon., 4th ** keishashadow ** BG
Tues., 5th ** tink, too (DW, DH, DD9 Surprise birthday! :bday:) ** SW
Wed., 6th ** loperella (DH, DW DS 11 DS13) ** SW
Sun. 23rd ** AmyHernandez (DW, DH, DS, DS, DD) ** Aquatica
Thu., 28th ** KLAIT (DW, DH, DS 12) ** BG
Fri., 29th ** scottishgirl1 (DW, DH, DS10, DS9, DD8) ** SW

unknown ** charlielinda **Sea World

MORE PICTURES ON POST #30 and #31

stormcomingincoralreef_2702-1.jpg

11Dinraypool-_015.jpg

DD petting (and feeding rays) from inside the pool.

threebigrays_2721.jpg

3 huge rays in Coral Reef.

TL9-11raysinsharkreef5539.jpg

Rays in Shark Reef

lunchmenu_2616.jpg

Lunch Menu

cobbsalad_2663.jpg

Cobb Salad

lunch_2662.jpg

Lobster Salad on Croissant-so good!

Veatinglunch_2664.jpg

My Dsis

Dinbreakfastline_2617.jpg

DD in breakfast line.

lunchdisplay_2656.jpg

Lunch Display

dessertedbeach_2720.jpg

Desserted beach-storm was expected but never arrived. They reopened the beaches and stayed open later.:cloud9:

meonCJ_2647editted.jpg

Me riding CJ.

DridingCJ_2646edittedcropped.jpg

DD riding CJ :cloud9:

Hi :)

What lovely pictures!! Im super excited about DC as I have never been before and this will be my DBF's first time to ever see a dolphin in real life let alone be in the water with one.

We are booked for 15th September at $199 per dolphin swim (Amex discount not open to non-US) and we chose Sea World because the last time I went was when I was 10 and DBF has never been and we both really love animals. Plus we also decided to do the Beluga Whale Programme so that helped in our decision!

Netiher of us have ever been to Busch Gardens or Aquatica but we would love to try them too one day!

Not far away now ...:banana: :banana: :banana:

I will be there with my DW, DD3 and DD1 on Tuesday 9/21. We will be doing Seaworld because my wife and I haven't been there since we were little and the girls will enjoy it. Great pics!

We're doing Discovery Cove and got unlimited visits to one park so decided on Sea World. We're planning an all Discovery/SeaWorld trip and are planning to spend 2 days at SeaWorld and not be rushed.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like we're the only ones so far who are going to Aquatica.

I have more pictures I can post from 3 years ago, just have to get them off different computer.

Anyone else?

We are heading down on September 30th. We are going to MNNSHP that night, doing Aquatica on October 1, Sea World on October 2 and Discovery Cove on October 3. I got the Sea World Tickets with the Discovery Cove package and bought the Aquatica tickets online. It's my husbands birthday on October 1 while we are at Aquatica so I have rented one of the Lowes premium cabanas. For Discovery Cove, we are celebrating my daughter's birthday and are doing one of the celebration packages.

Connie

OP thanx for posting the pics:thumbsup2

we're booked on monday, 10/3, my rationale was jik unlikely events (storms, etc.) they cancel we'd have a chance to rebook an alternate day during our vacation.

OP Q for you:

1) u mention the long drive to BG from WDW...do you mean 'long' as it took approx an hour?;) just wondering as it has typically only taken us an hour to get to TPA airport once we're on I-4. Haven't been to BG in years, but was thinking it'd just be few minutes drive off the expressway...maybe i need to budget more time to be @ gates in the am?:confused3

1) u mention the long drive to BG from WDW...do you mean 'long' as it took approx an hour?;) just wondering as it has typically only taken us an hour to get to TPA airport once we're on I-4. Haven't been to BG in years, but was thinking it'd just be few minutes drive off the expressway...maybe i need to budget more time to be @ gates in the am?:confused3

Yes, I did. :goodvibes Basically by long I meant that if we went to BG we would only go once since it's not close enough for a quick trip. That's pretty much what I meant. SW and AQ are much closer. My DM will more than likely be going to visit her almost 90 y/o uncle who lives in Orlando one day for an extended visit. I figure on that day DD and I can go to either one of the Disney Parks or Aquatica. Since we will have a rental car I'm thinking my DM can drop us off at AQ on her way to Orlando and then pick us up on the way back. We couldn't do this if we got the BG option.

Also, I was just looking at a room for our first night (we aren't checking into POP until our 4th night) and at first we were thinking of getting a room for 3 nights in the Sarasota/Bradenton area but now we are thinking about getting our first night near MCO/WDW area. As I was looking at possible hotel choices I realized that if we stay near SW/AQ our first night then we could go to AQ for a few hours before heading towards the Gulf Coast.

Nothing against BG. I liked it when we went before even though it requires a lot of walking. I loved the big mister fans they had set up that you could just walk right up to and get blasted!

So since I am thinking we may make more than one visit to a park, that's why I decided against BG.

As far as how early you should leave to get there at gate opening according to MapQuest it's 70 miles from WDW to BG, 1 hour and 15 min. You might want to add a little time for traffic in the morning. I was thinking it took us about 1-1/2 hours or so to get there. And the day we went it wasn't very busy (mid week-Sept.) so we had to wait a few minutes for the parking lot tram to come.

HTHs. :goodvibes

We are heading down on September 30th. We are going to MNNSHP that night, doing Aquatica on October 1, Sea World on October 2 and Discovery Cove on October 3. I got the Sea World Tickets with the Discovery Cove package and bought the Aquatica tickets online. It's my husbands birthday on October 1 while we are at Aquatica so I have rented one of the Lowes premium cabanas. For Discovery Cove, we are celebrating my daughter's birthday and are doing one of the celebration packages.

Connie

Sounds like you are going to have a great trip! Can we crash your cabana on the 1st? just kidding!:rotfl: :bday: to your DH and DD! We'll be celebrating 2 belated birthdays while there. My DD turns 11 on 9-19 and my DM's is 9-22.

keishashadow said:
we're booked on monday, 10/3, my rationale was jik unlikely events (storms, etc.) they cancel we'd have a chance to rebook an alternate day during our vacation.

Makes sense to me. If we get rained out we still have 5 more full days left that we could reschedule to.

BTW, are you going to DC on Monday, Oct. 4th or Sunday, the 3rd? If you are there on the 3rd you'll be there the same day as csmith_nc.

Also, I was just looking at a room for our first night (we aren't checking into POP until our 4th night) and at first we were thinking of getting a room for 3 nights in the Sarasota/Bradenton area but now we are thinking about getting our first night near MCO/WDW area. As I was looking at possible hotel choices I realized that if we stay near SW/AQ our first night then we could go to AQ for a few hours before heading towards the Gulf Coast.

Nothing against BG. I liked it when we went before even though it requires a lot of walking. I loved the big mister fans they had set up that you could just walk right up to and get blasted!

So since I am thinking we may make more than one visit to a park, that's why I decided against BG.

As far as how early you should leave to get there at gate opening according to MapQuest it's 70 miles from WDW to BG, 1 hour and 15 min. You might want to add a little time for traffic in the morning. I was thinking it took us about 1-1/2 hours or so to get there. And the day we went it wasn't very busy (mid week-Sept.) so we had to wait a few minutes for the parking lot tram to come.

HTHs. :goodvibes

im encouraged BG won't be too crowded then mid week:thumbsup2. thanx for the comprehensive info! im thinking perhaps my mr had the pedal to the metal, or as he'd call it: going with the flow of traffic:headache:. We'll leave 1-1/2 hrs early then. Want to try & get the safari tour on the truck, looks pretty cool.

have you looked into the close(r) hotels near SW/DC? i have a guidebook by kelly monaghan that goes into all of them as to location/price/amenties...im sure u've researched them but if u want me to check as to what he sez about any of them i'd be glad to report back.

Makes sense to me. If we get rained out we still have 5 more full days left that we could reschedule to.

BTW, are you going to DC on Monday, Oct. 4th or Sunday, the 3rd? If you are there on the 3rd you'll be there the same day as csmith_nc.

ah, we'll just miss her, we're on the 4th.

have you looked into the close(r) hotels near SW/DC? i have a guidebook by kelly monaghan that goes into all of them as to location/price/amenties...im sure u've researched them but if u want me to check as to what he sez about any of them i'd be glad to report back.

I may take you up on that. I'm only looking at one night near SW. Then we are going to the Sarasota area for 2 more nights. Then back to POP for 7 nights! :goodvibes

I'm actually thinking of using Hotwire for the one night and maybe for the 2 in Sarasota/Bradenton area. I've never used it before but I just got an email for a 3-1/2 star hotel in the SW/I drive area for only $49/night. or 2-1/2 stars (maybe too risky) for only $39. Since we are really just going to be using the room the first night for sleeping I don't think we can go wrong. BTW, I did try to get a room at WDW for just the one night using the Summer Room only Rates but could only get a deluxe for that night. I could get AS Movies or Music, rack rate, for $104, but that's a little too much to spend for just a room to sleep in before we move on.

i've never tried hotwire in orlando, make sure to check out what zone you're interested in & check the betterbidding list to help avoid any unpleasant surprises. Orlando has some scary looking hotels

Have you considered the DTD hotels? Reason i mention the area is because we skip I-4 when driving to Sea World & take back way up out of DTD, crossroads area, a very short/easy drive. Here's the link to DTD hotel promos. every now & then a disney quest package pops up that is very reasonable.

http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/VacationPackages/

The guidebook really is invaluable, i listed some of the hotels mentioned (note i'd check tripadvisor, especially for the 1st couple of groups of hotels as they are more budget-type properties).
Within Walking Distance of SW:

Hilton Garden Inn geared to business traveler, walk to park-10 min
International Plaza Resort 17 story tower, older 2 story bldgs-10 min. Has a sea world gate at rear of property & closest hotel to aquatica and walking there is very doable. main entrance on westwood blvd.
Sleep Inn & Hawthorn Suites 12 - 15 minute walk via unnamed service road that runs alongside the internation plaza property & connecs westwood blvd & sea harbor drive, then cuts diagonally across the SW parking lot:confused:
Extended Stay & Wynfield Inn

Moderate & Budget

Residence Inn,
Fairfield Inn
Residence Inn
Courtyard I-Drive

Mariotts

1st class type
Renaissance Orlando
JW Marriott
Marriott World Center Drive

Timeshares
Grand Vista
Cypress Harbour
Horizons
Royal Palms
Sabal Palms

We are staying at the JW Marriott. We got a pretty decent rate through AAA hotdeals, but it is still pricey.

Connie

I wish!!! this looks soooo awesome i watch the kate plus 8 episode and so i looked it up and said YIKES! lol it looks amazing :)

I wish!!! this looks soooo awesome i watch the kate plus 8 episode and so i looked it up and said YIKES! lol it looks amazing :)

i never watch the program, was flipping thru a couple of weeks ago and was just amazed by how cool it looked

came here & read the AMEX deal & figured it was case of fait accompli lol

i've never tried hotwire in orlando, make sure to check out what zone you're interested in & check the betterbidding list to help avoid any unpleasant surprises. Orlando has some scary looking hotels

Have you considered the DTD hotels? Reason i mention the area is because we skip I-4 when driving to Sea World & take back way up out of DTD, crossroads area, a very short/easy drive. Here's the link to DTD hotel promos. every now & then a disney quest package pops up that is very reasonable.

http://www.downtowndisneyhotels.com/VacationPackages/

The guidebook really is invaluable, i listed some of the hotels mentioned (note i'd check tripadvisor, especially for the 1st couple of groups of hotels as they are more budget-type properties).
Within Walking Distance of SW:

Hilton Garden Inn geared to business traveler, walk to park-10 min
International Plaza Resort 17 story tower, older 2 story bldgs-10 min. Has a sea world gate at rear of property & closest hotel to aquatica and walking there is very doable. main entrance on westwood blvd.
Sleep Inn & Hawthorn Suites 12 - 15 minute walk via unnamed service road that runs alongside the internation plaza property & connecs westwood blvd & sea harbor drive, then cuts diagonally across the SW parking lot:confused:
Extended Stay & Wynfield Inn

Moderate & Budget

Residence Inn,
Fairfield Inn
Residence Inn
Courtyard I-Drive

Mariotts

1st class type
Renaissance Orlando
JW Marriott
Marriott World Center Drive

Timeshares
Grand Vista
Cypress Harbour
Horizons
Royal Palms
Sabal Palms

Thanks for the info! I keep looking at Sleep Inn. I can get it for one night for just under $60 and it inc. breakfast. Plus it is cancellable if needed. Nice to see how close it is to SW in case we do decide to go to AQ for a few hours before heading to Sarasota/Siesta Key area.

Thanks for the info! I keep looking at Sleep Inn. I can get it for one night for just under $60 and it inc. breakfast. Plus it is cancellable if needed. Nice to see how close it is to SW in case we do decide to go to AQ for a few hours before heading to Sarasota/Siesta Key area.

sounds like a plan:)

DH and I will be there Sept 19 for our 5th anniversary! It's our first time going and we're really excited!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter