Why do kids hate this

Well, I can say that wearing uniforms made life a lot easier at my house.....no arguments in the morning with my granddaughter over what to wear and how appropriate it was to wear to school. Just "pick out one of the forest-green polo shirts and your choice of the khaki shorts, khaki pants or khaki skorts and PUT IT ON!!!"

Dd doesn't hate it but she doesn't love it either. In elementary/jr. high the school was stricter. Polo, khakis with a white or black belt and athletic shoes with white or black sock, ONLY. Their jacket was the only thing that could be different.

In high school, they still wear the khakis but they can wear pullover sweaters and sweatshirts or hoodies in school colors (technically they are supposed to wear the polo underneath but no one checks). And they can wear boots or mostly any kind of shoes except heels or sandals.

Personally, I like the uniforms. Have't had a single discussion with her over clothes for school in all the years she has been in school. And I don't think I spend any more for her clothes with the uniforms than I would without.

Because they are ugly, the uniforms, not the kids ;)

I hated wearing a uniform, but at least funky tights were in style when I was in HS so we could at least add some flair to them.

I've never understood the individuality argument in regards to uniforms. Part of our job as educators is to prepare kids for the real world. In the real world, most jobs have dress codes that we have to follow. There's plenty of other hours in the day and on the weekends for them to express their individuality.

Because they're ugly and don't allow of individuality. My dd would hate wearing a jumper and polo shirt.

I agree- seeing kids all dressed the same reminds me of a prison yard with all the prisoners in those jumpsuit things they wear!
Who would want to wear the same thing every day. My daughter is one that marches to the beat of her own drum, she wears off the wall sweaters and shirts- she wears super skinny jeans, print jeans and when the weather is warmer she likes wearing different types of dresses. I would hate to see her in the same boring outfit every day!

I hate uniforms. I hate people telling me how to spend my money. And to top it all off, the principal actually compared wearing them to getting ready to work at WalMart or McDonalds. Riggggghhhhht. :sad2:

I had to wear uniforms for a while. They were UGLY and very NOT flattering unless you were built like a boy. I looked horrible in it. It was grey and white, both of which wash this redhead completely out, and boxy shaped. YUCK!

I've never understood the individuality argument in regards to uniforms. Part of our job as educators is to prepare kids for the real world. In the real world, most jobs have dress codes that we have to follow. There's plenty of other hours in the day and on the weekends for them to express their individuality.

My kids' school has a dress code, they can't wear strapless, spaghetti straps, no belly baring shirts, no super short shorts/skirts..kind of like the jobs they will have as an adult.
I've never had a job where I had to wear a uniform.
A uniform is a lot different then a dress code. I'm all for a dress code.
I've also never had one argument over appropriate clothes for school. My kids get dressed and go to school. No extra time in the morning, no telling them to go change.

Uniforms aren't meant to be flattering and fashionable though- it's for school not a runway. Mine was a skirt, blouse, cardigan and tights in the winter.

I have never had a job that I had to wear a uniform at- I guess if you are working in burger king, mcdonalds etc they have a uniform but I have yet to work at a job where I have to wear one. Sure we have a "dress code" (VERY loose) but it does not involve wearing a uniform.

It depends what the uniform is. If it's a set shirt with a logo you only get so many then you are doing laundry all the time. The best I ever had was factory work where you could wear whatever you wanted.

Now I'm in an office setting that is casual. I like that cause I can dress up or dress nice. There's the decision making which is hard but it's better then doing laundry every other day to make sure I had a clean shirt.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

This thread brings back an old memory from work. Our office over the years has transitioned from a very rigid professional look to more of a business casual look (although I personally think some people are a little too casual, but that's another story). In the process of this change over, we were told that it would be okay to wear khaki's and a polo shirt with the company logo on it if you wanted too.

Well, this one girl in my office went off the deep end. She went on a 20-30 minute rant about how she didn't go to college and get a master's degree to be told that she had to wear a uniform. She thought it was demeaning and beneath her to wear that.

She obviously missed the "if you wanted too" portion of the conversation.

I have never had a job that I had to wear a uniform at- I guess if you are working in burger king, mcdonalds etc they have a uniform but I have yet to work at a job where I have to wear one. Sure we have a "dress code" (VERY loose) but it does not involve wearing a uniform.

Many professions have uniforms not just fast food workers:confused3, how about nurses, police officers, firefighters, military, delivery drivers etc.

I wore uniforms my whole life until college, I LOVED them, no thinking. It drove me nuts in college when I had to "think" about what I was going to wear. And for me I was a commuter, if I dressed up people looked at me funny, if I dressed like I rolled out of bed, I fit in:rotfl2:.

My kids wear uniforms as well and I love it for them and we never have to figure things out in the morning.

And my classmates were always able to express their individuality even in a uniform. Through their hairstyles, backpacks or purses, their outwear etc. so I dont get that argument either

But don't they have a lot of homework and chores, also sports practice.

Just because they have a lot to DO doesn't mean they don't also think or concern themselves over other things. Young people, especially as they get older are learning how to "fit in" with the rest of their peers as well as wanting to express their own individuality. They see and read about what all the latest trends and fads are and want to be a part of that. Uniforms inhibit this (at least at school).

A lot depends on the child. Some kids like uniforms because they don't have to worry about affording all of the latest "in" clothing, or having to make decisions about what is "cool" and what is not. Others hate the uniforms because they can't express themselves via fashion statements. Meh- they're free to dress however they want outside of the school. They'll live. A life lesson- you can't always do whatever you want.

I wore a uniform when I was at school. Didn't bother me at all. I wore a uniform every day of my working life- while in the military and then in the hospital. Again- no angst or hate over the restrictions on how I was required to dress.

Why do kids hate uniforms I love not having to think about what to put on my outfit will be the same every day in the fall team shirt jeans, how much easier can it get?

I LOVED wearing an uniform in high school and I am a clothes junky. I love getting dressed up and picking out my clothes, but wearing an uniform to school is so much easier.

It also is a good equalizer. Kids can be mean about designer labels and stuff like that, it helps to have them all have to wear the same thing.

Just because they have a lot to DO doesn't mean they don't also think or concern themselves over other things. Young people, especially as they get older are learning how to "fit in" with the rest of their peers as well as wanting to express their own individuality. They see and read about what all the latest trends and fads are and want to be a part of that. Uniforms inhibit this (at least at school). A lot depends on the child. Some kids like uniforms because they don't have to worry about affording all of the latest "in" clothing, or having to make decisions about what is "cool" and what is not. Others hate the uniforms because they can't express themselves via fashion statements. Meh- they're free to dress however they want outside of the school. They'll live. A life lesson- you can't always do whatever you want. I wore a uniform when I was at school. Didn't bother me at all. I wore a uniform every day of my working life- while in the military and then in the hospital. Again- no angst or hate over the restrictions on how I was required to dress.

That is true

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter