Why does disney raise prices during their busiest times???

I'm not sure how many business do do that! I work retail, and I know I don't get paid more on Black Friday than I do the rest of the year! And we really should!!:rotfl2:

PP said, "pay more employees", not "pay employees more". Big difference. :rotfl2: Although, they might also be paying employees more in OT

Because people will pay it. And with more people in the parks, there will be more who are willing to pay it.

They won't pay the employees more, but they might have to increase staffing by paying full-timers overtime and bring in more part-timers, that kind of thing.

You can say here "just don't pay it, and go to Universal" but that's not going to work on the first-time splurge traveler who has to go during school breaks and whose kids want character meals. Many of them are willing to pay what it takes. And it is not just character buffets, it is all fixed price restaurants, even those that don't feature characters. So it's not about paying the character performers and it's not about tips.

Disney is in the business of selling happiness for a profit. That's not quite the same as wanting us to be happy.

LilyWDW said:
So anyone who believes that there is still value in their trip is a "sucker"? Because they don't agree that Disney is "too expensive"? Well, that is just ridiculous.

Oooooook then, lets just hear about all the big added values and enhancements that justify the humongous price increases over the past 6-7 years, shall we? I'll pop the popcorn, hehe.

Oooooook then, lets just hear about all the big added values and enhancements that justify the humongous price increases over the past 6-7 years, shall we? I'll pop the popcorn, hehe.

#1 New Fantasyland. A huge project that can't be cheap.
#2 Refurbing all of the Value resorts. And all Moderates except CBR, which is rumored to be next.
#3 New DVCs Again, not cheap.
#3 New rides, and ride refurbishments, and queue plussing. Love the new Haunted Mansion cematary!

Really, do you think they did all of that (and that is just what I came up with in 30 seconds) for a few bucks?

You may not find value in any of it, but many people do. And that does not make them idiots any more than it makes you and idiot for not appreciating it. Different strokes.

Disney raises prices for the same reason musicians date super models - because they can. When they raise them so much that it affects their profits, they will stop raising them. This is basic capitalism folks.

I totally agree with maxiesmom. And appart from all the refurbs, improvements, new stuff etc, don't forget everything that is FREE once you've entered the parks. All the shows, parades, fireworks, character interactions etc. You actually get a lot for your buck compared to other themeparks I've been in.

Exactly.

Many folks on here look at not wanting to spend what Disney wants for various meals/activities/rooms as being cheap, or, not being able to afford it, etc.

On the contrary, it's the VALUE that I am beginning to find lacking.

As someone who has stayed onsite at WDW over 20 times, I personally am not finding the value in a WDW vacation that I used to.

When I laugh out loud at some of the prices they are charging it's time for me to take a step back and realize WDW just isn't what it used to be, for us.

Even though I can afford for my family to spend close to $300 to eat at Chef Mickey's doesn't mean I don't find it ridiculous to spend that amount on a not even mediocre buffet. It simply isn't going to happen.

Just because I can afford for my family to eat a $50 hot dog lunch at Casey's doesn't mean I don't find it the least bit insulting that they would actually expect me to.

Disney has done a phenomenal job of making their parks and resorts a way of life for many thousands of people. Their marketing is second to none.

They raise their prices at the busiest times not because it costs them more to provide the service, they do it because they know people will pay it. They know if you were going to spend $300 for lunch, then if there's enough people in the resort during high attendance times they will find plenty of people who will pay $320, while getting NO additional value.

I have spent 10's of thousands of dollars at WDW, it's not going to hurt them to lose MY yearly trips, but, I have found more and more of the people I know looking it as more of a Magical Cash Grab than a Magical Experience.

Perfectly said! It is not about "not being able to afford" Disney - it is about wanting to get value and enjoyment for my vacation dollars. As much as I love Disney, the prices and the decline in service just do not justify the prices.

I understand families with small children go to the buffets because that is where the characters are and I feel Disney is pushing folks (especially those on the Dining Plan) to the buffets. That is where the perceived value for the Dining Plan money is. I think they are way overpriced and adding a surcharge during the busy season is a bit insulting. But there is no other way to see characters without spending hours and hours in line.

We can easily afford Disney prices but I do not like the feeling of being taking advantage of and folks there is a big world out there with exciting vacation options - even for children! It is not about going to a "different theme park" it is about doing something other than a theme par:

One last thought...there seems to be a growing sentiment on these boards that Disney is getting overpriced for the experience. Right now and probably for the foreseeable future, for every person that does not go, there is someone to take their place. But it starts small...my friends are aware of our decision to skip this year and go to the Caribbean twice (March & November) and are looking at our decision and it makes them think....if such Disney fans can skip a year or two.,,

I understand families with small children go to the buffets because that is where the characters are and I feel Disney is pushing folks (especially those on the Dining Plan) to the buffets. That is where the perceived value for the Dining Plan money is. I think they are way overpriced and adding a surcharge during the busy season is a bit insulting. But there is no other way to see characters without spending hours and hours in line.

Granted, we went during the value season, but I feel like we "wasted" more park time by going to the character lunch at Tusker House than we would have "wasted" standing in line for the characters and at the buffets, the characters seemed kind of rushed. Most of the characters we stood in line for spent a little time with the kids and most of them had Photopass photographers.

It's a trade-off. If our family is any indication, those of us waiting to see characters are spending less time in line for rides, which benefits the groups without small children.

Unfortunately that's not a very popular thing these days.

Well..... "free" is not exactly how I'd characterize it. I'd say it's all available for "no additional charge".

My DD kept asking me if stuff in the park was "free" and I kept telling her that it's not free, but it's included in the price of admission.

Like others have said, it's simple supply and demand. during the times where there's more demand, Disney almost has to raise prices to decrease demand. I've never been there at those times, but I've heard stories of people packed in shoulder to shoulder during Christmas week. And that's with higher prices. If the prices were lower then, there would be even more demand and Disney wouldn't be able to accommodate everyone. If the prices are higher during peak times, a lot of people will decide to go at another time. I want to get the most for my vacation dollar and for me it's not a good value to pay more to go when it's most crowded and more of the day is spent waiting in line. Many others don't have the option of going other times of the year, so they're willing to go when it costs more because they enjoy Disney that much. Prices are lower and you find more deals off-peak because Disney wants to get more people to the resort.

They don't. They give a discount the rest of the year. See, doesn't that make you feel better? :rotfl:

I agree with those who state that part of the reason it's done is to DECREASE demand at the busier times.

To answer the question ,GREED! The disney management team over the past decade have been the most aggressive in price increases in the history of disney world.

I totally understand why disney should/would raise prices for their resorts during "busy season", like most hotels do, but I have a problem with them putting a "surcharge" on character buffets for certain times of the year. Do they do this just to get a few extra bucks out of the visitors?

In short, yes.

If people are willing to pay extra and fill the restaurants, then they can continue to charge extra at certain times. When everyone says that's too much and they stop reserving meals then maybe that will change.

As more and more guests get hooked on the DP, the OOP guests get squeezed. If you are on the DP it is still 2 credits I believe regardless of the increased cost.

To answer the question ,GREED! The disney management team over the past decade have been the most aggressive in price increases in the history of disney world.

Disney is not a charity, it is a publicly traded company. The people that run it have a fiduciary resposibility to their shareholders to be as profitable as possible. This is free market capitalism, i.e. the foundation of our economy. Just as Disney has the right to charge whaterver it wants for tickets, food, etc., we have the right not to buy what they are selling. When they raise prices so high that people stop buying, they will lower the prices. This is the Invisible Hand of regulation.

Exactly.

Many folks on here look at not wanting to spend what Disney wants for various meals/activities/rooms as being cheap, or, not being able to afford it, etc.

On the contrary, it's the VALUE that I am beginning to find lacking.

As someone who has stayed onsite at WDW over 20 times, I personally am not finding the value in a WDW vacation that I used to.

When I laugh out loud at some of the prices they are charging it's time for me to take a step back and realize WDW just isn't what it used to be, for us.

Even though I can afford for my family to spend close to $300 to eat at Chef Mickey's doesn't mean I don't find it ridiculous to spend that amount on a not even mediocre buffet. It simply isn't going to happen.

Just because I can afford for my family to eat a $50 hot dog lunch at Casey's doesn't mean I don't find it the least bit insulting that they would actually expect me to.

Disney has done a phenomenal job of making their parks and resorts a way of life for many thousands of people. Their marketing is second to none.

They raise their prices at the busiest times not because it costs them more to provide the service, they do it because they know people will pay it. They know if you were going to spend $300 for lunch, then if there's enough people in the resort during high attendance times they will find plenty of people who will pay $320, while getting NO additional value.

I have spent 10's of thousands of dollars at WDW, it's not going to hurt them to lose MY yearly trips, but, I have found more and more of the people I know looking it as more of a Magical Cash Grab than a Magical Experience.

Perfectly said.

Why doesn't Disney have a brilliant marketing, customer oriented model like Costco? Here is one of the major keys to Costco's multi BiLLION DOLLAR COMPANY, SUCCESS:

Put the customer first. This seems obvious, but consider Costco’s $1.50 hot dog. After 15 years, its price hasn’t budged. To keep costs and prices low, Costco execs built their own meat plant and bakery. Essentially, Costco completely changed the way it did business for just one product. And that’s in spite of the reality that most customers wouldn’t notice slow price increases. The decision was about doing the right thing for customers, not impressing them or even keeping them loyal. That’s a customer focus that goes all the way to the bone.

Enough said.

Sooner or later Disney will price themselves out. Look at Sears, JC Penny's and KMART. It's a slippery slope. If Disney lowered their prices, in my humble opinion they will attract MORE CUSTOMERS that will buy disney merchandise/food/etc.

As more and more guests get hooked on the DP, the OOP guests get squeezed. If you are on the DP it is still 2 credits I believe regardless of the increased cost.

Character meals are 1 DDP credit, except for Cinderella's Royal Table. At any rate I believe the pricing structure in the restaurants has been changed in part to encourage DDP users to go to the buffets and family style restaurants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter