Why is Disney not looking after it’s UK guests?

There are people calling not for these reasons? 🤔

You'd be surprised having previously worked in a call centre type of role, you will get people ring as they have heard there's discounts being offered for existing bookings even if they don't have a booking at all.

We are now speaking to a cast member and they have said they will honour our gift cards we had on our booking as we are moving it to 2021.

You'd be surprised having previously worked in a call centre type of role, you will get people ring as they have heard there's discounts being offered for existing bookings even if they don't have a booking at all.

We are now speaking to a cast member and they have said they will honour our gift cards we had on our booking as we are moving it to 2021.
Small mercies LOL

Interesting to see a ‘DIS Veteran” highly amused by it all. Strange behaviour 🤷‍♂️ Probably thinks a billion dollar company unable to operate a voicemail facility is normal. 😂
I'm not looking to start an argument or anything but I assume this was aimed at me. I fully apologise as I never meant to do the laughing reaction (I also did it on the post either below or above yours which I didn't realise until I just saw this post). I thought I'd selected the 👍🏻 but clearly I hadn't. I don't think any of this is funny and can understand everyone's frustration at the moment. I clearly should make sure I'm more woken up before coming onto disboards first thing in the morning 🙈

I'm not looking to start an argument or anything but I assume this was aimed at me. I fully apologise as I never meant to do the laughing reaction (I also did it on the post either below or above yours which I didn't realise until I just saw this post). I thought I'd selected the 👍🏻 but clearly I hadn't. I don't think any of this is funny and can understand everyone's frustration at the moment. I clearly should make sure I'm more woken up before coming onto disboards first thing in the morning 🙈

Absolutely no problem. 👍

Got through! 4 hour wait time, whew...

Modified our 10-day October 2020 trip to a 14-day October 2021 trip. They honoured our $300 freebie gift cards but would not do any kind of DDP, transferred, paid or otherwise. We can add it later for a £50 fee if it's free dining, or for normal rate if they reintroduce it as a paid-for option. I think the former is a bit hit-and-miss though as I've seen other posters suggest that isn't possible. Your CM mileage may vary...

Modified our 10-day October 2020 trip to a 14-day October 2021 trip. They honoured our $300 freebie gift cards but would not do any kind of DDP, transferred, paid or otherwise.

Did they retain the same booking ref or did they give you a new booking? My insurance will only consider it a move if it retains the same booking ref. Otherwise new holiday booking are not covered if booked while travel restrictions are in place.

Did they retain the same booking ref or did they give you a new booking? My insurance will only consider it a move if it retains the same booking ref. Otherwise new holiday booking are not covered if booked while travel restrictions are in place.

New.

Gonna contend with my insurance tomorrow.

New.

Gonna contend with my insurance tomorrow.

Blimey, would be grateful for progress reports!

I've fired off emails to both Disney and the insurance company abotu what they will or won't accept under different scenarios of moving, gopign ahead or cancelling. It's just so diffifult to have to go back and forth between them when their contact paths are so awkward. I've got the added complication of separately-booked flights with Virgin. I don't know where to start!

I've fired off emails to both Disney and the insurance company abotu what they will or won't accept under different scenarios of moving, gopign ahead or cancelling. It's just so diffifult to have to go back and forth between them when their contact paths are so awkward. I've got the added complication of separately-booked flights with Virgin. I don't know where to start!
Mine first said would only cover if same booking reference. But then last week said as long as the deposit is moved and you can prove you have made that booking that would be ok.

I’ve moved my booking to next Aug, but when got the invoice they haven’t put the $300 Gift card the 1st operator offered. However I was transferred to a supervisor as I was querying the deposit move. I’ve had it agreed and noted on the booking that if an offer comes out they will allow me to move my booking and move the deposit over to that, so that my insurance is still valid. I’m not happy about the price and without an offer there is still a good chance I will ditch the booking. But I think there will be an offer of some sort. It might not be until the New Year and be the normal 4 day free type offer. But wouldn’t it be great if it was free dining.

For us starting with modifying Disney was the best choice because it gives us significant breathing room for developments. I think it is hard for a lot of people to make their decisions within the next fortnight. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of trips confirmed and then still cancelled when it comes to the time.

I rang my travel insurance today (Post Office single trip) and the chap I spoke to unfortunately said I couldn't rearrange. One because they only underwrite trips a year in advance so Oct 2021 is too far away, and two because in modifying a policy you go through the Ts&Cs hoops again and so coronavirus would be considered a known event and thus you would not be covered for it with a modified policy. However, we both agreed that for the travel [insurance] industry to survive, something's going to have to give! Basically I have to ring again literally three days before my Oct 2020 trip was due to take place because that's the sweet spot that puts us a year in advance. If we'd have booked a trip that was slightly later on in 2021 I assume I would be screwed.

Please let us know how you get on as well csimon. :)

Thank you for reporting back! I've not had much luck, I've got annual insurance which has different sorts of criteria. I've actually had pretty prompt responses back from both Disney and Asda Travel Insurance, however going on the answers I think rearranging or cancelling at this time is too iffy. I only have hotel & tickets booked with Disney (for November), flight separately with Virgin. At this time, a cancel on either is actually voluntary, a "disinclination to travel". November isn't yet in Virgin's sights as eligible for an open ticket or refunding etc. Insurance won't cover new bookings, i.e. with new ref nbr. Despite Disney reassurances, I'm convinced it would indeed be a new ref nbr. So would cancelling and rebookign the flight. So basically the deadline of June 27th changes nothing. I can still cancel or move voluntarily afterwards anyway, with the same considerations so I basically *have* to take the holiday if there are no restrictions at that time. I might as well carry on and wait until both the holiday and the flight are "force cancelled" due to ongoing restrictions. Answers from Disney and Asda below. I cannot risk invalidating the insurance in any way by moving to next year.

If you keep the reservation the terms and conditions will remain the same. At this time we do not have any current information on if Food and Wine Festival will be going on. If you need to move the reservation to next year, your payments will transfer with it. We can modify the dates of travel, without having to cancel and rebook. We can transfer over your deposit for you.

We can only offer cover for the cancellation of the flights for one of the reasons laid out in the policy wording booklet (for example, the FCO is advising against travel). We do not cover cancellation due to not wanting to travel. The holiday would need to have the same booking reference to continue to be covered in the same way, a new booking reference is considered a new booking.

Just got my revised invoice and I got the 35% discount. I'm absolutely gobsmacked. Now just got to hope Trump opens up the country again.

Let's be honest here, the main barrier to travelling to Disney at the moment is the closing of US borders to many countries, including the UK. And who is to say that if they open them up again Florida won't do what they have done to the tri state areas of NY and impose a quarantine. Tourism is taking a massive hit everywhere and the tax break of up to $4000 to incentivise Americans to travel within the US including to Disney isn't much use to people who are cash strapped from not working in the first place. So perhaps the US tourism industry and Florida Governor, Ron DeSantis may recognise they need foreign tourism and lobby the President to relax these restrictions to save their industry. Although the way the crisis has been handled here doesn't give me much confidence the UK will be allowed to fly there anytime soon.

PS, this is not political.

Last edited:
Just a thought. If we are unable to go to Disney as per our reservation because we are unable to fly due to the restrictions, which are out of our control, Disney may, and I stress may, offer the 35% discount on a similar reservation for next year. I'm not modifying or cancelling my trip until it is absolutely necessary because if they do this as a goodwill gesture they may only do it for existing 2020 reservations and if you cancelled or modified then tough.
The way I feel is that there is nothing to lose if you are happy to go next year like I am, even if I pay the balance when due that'll be taken off next years reservation even at full price. I don't even regard it as a gamble.

Just a thought. If we are unable to go to Disney as per our reservation because we are unable to fly due to the restrictions, which are out of our control, Disney may, and I stress may, offer the 35% discount on a similar reservation for next year. I'm not modifying or cancelling my trip until it is absolutely necessary because if they do this as a goodwill gesture they may only do it for existing 2020 reservations and if you cancelled or modified then tough.
The way I feel is that there is nothing to lose if you are happy to go next year like I am, even if I pay the balance when due that'll be taken off next years reservation even at full price. I don't even regard it as a gamble.
I hope everything works out for you and you get to go.

However Disney are showing very little sign of allowing the 35% to be allowed to be used next year. I spoke to a supervisor and he clearly had no discretion to facilitate. I even ended up losing the gift card which many had moved across. However I did get agreement for deposit to be further moved to a new booking for same dates if an offer does come out. At that point the gift card would be irrelevant anyway as I’m sure they would not allow to to go over as well.

I still firmly believe that there will be a booking offer of some sort at some stage. It’s just a matter of when and what. If it doesn’t happen by September then I think free dining will be out, but the New Year get up to 4 days free will come out. For my 17 nights that’s equivalent to 23.5%, which would just be passable to me.

I agree with your point about importance of tourism. In the end the money argument will win through, it’s just a case of when for flights. Ot’s the money that set the US on a an early relaxation of rules. It’s also very true many all around the world just will not have the money to travel so they will need to entice those that do. Hence why offers will come.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter