Why is everyone so down on PPH?

Agree that the extra distance to the Westin is negligible for a MUCH nicer property than PPH.

I'm OK with PPH and have stayed there multiple times but do find the elevators annoying. They have fixed the madness on the "UP" direction with the system where you put in your floor first but waits can still be long to go back DOWN with elevators already full when they stop, especially if you are on lower floors. The current lack of food options there also seems like a huge downside, but I'm not sure when you are planning on going and if/when that might change. The theme park view rooms do provide a lovely view of DCA at night and are especially enjoyable when World of Color is running but again- that's not currently happening (though maybe it will be soon as they do seem to be working on the fountains). The rooms themselves are OK. The bathroom in particular is 'meh' for me- traditional non-luxury hotel bathroom layout and.

I agree with DLgal that DLH might be a nice compromise for you. Slightly closer to DTD and nicer property/grounds than PPH (though they are currently building a 4th tower for DVC at DLH). I enjoy the theming at DLH quite a bit as well- lobby and rooms.

I actually like the PPH! I should note that I haven't stayed here since COVID, but it's my go-to Disneyland hotel. I agree that the lobby can be chaotic with the elevators - the new system where you choose your floor and it directs you to a specific elevator helps, but...sometimes there's just a long wait for an elevator, and sometimes there's no wait at all.

Maybe it just appeals to my personal aesthetic, but I think the rooms are lovely - spacious and the theme park view rooms are really special. There's nothing like seeing the lights from Pixar Pier as you fall asleep. Just my two cents.

I did not see any hotels on a harbor that seemed nicer and stepping over the homeless people kind of killed the vibe. I also saw one homeless woman throwing chairs and over turning tables in front of one the restaurans on Harbor. The next morning she was in front of Springhill suites pacing back and forth ranting and raving. Not to be rude, but I wasn't asking about offsite hotels.

I know you’re not asking about offsite hotels and I respect that.
BUT I think one of the reasons that PPH gets a bad review is because that DL people naturally compare and contrast it to the other off property hotels in the area where you can get nicer rooms and closer proximity while paying way less.
So, there’s nothing wrong with PPH but I feel some of the bad reviews are from people who feel disappointed with the value for money compared to other hotels.

BUT I think one of the reasons that PPH gets a bad review is because that DL people naturally compare and contrast it to the other off property hotels in the area where you can get nicer rooms and closer proximity while paying way less.
So, there’s nothing wrong with PPH but I feel some of the bad reviews are from people who feel disappointed with the value for money compared to other hotels.

Maybe, but maybe not. I've never stayed in an "off property" Anaheim hotel before. I don't need to because we live very close, so when we stay at a resort there, it's to go all in and we stay on property for a mini vacation. So, for us, it's not about value compared to offisite hotels, it's value compared to the other Disney resorts on property and when you consider the price and what you get at PPH, it falls WAY short of the other 2 and the price isn't nearly low enough to offset that. To be very frank, that hotel should not cost more than $300/night at the absolute maximum. $400+/night for a standard room is absolutely absurd.

Maybe, but maybe not. I've never stayed in an "off property" Anaheim hotel before. I don't need to because we live very close, so when we stay at a resort there, it's to go all in and we stay on property for a mini vacation. So, for us, it's not about value compared to offisite hotels, it's value compared to the other Disney resorts on property and when you consider the price and what you get at PPH, it falls WAY short of the other 2 and the price isn't nearly low enough to offset that. To be very frank, that hotel should not cost more than $300/night at the absolute maximum. $400+/night for a standard room is absolutely absurd.

I think we are in agreement. I guess I should have expanded my comments to indicate that it is being compared to all hotels.
Pay a little bit more (comparatively) and receive something of a higher quality onsite. Or pay less and receive something of a higher quality off site.

That's understandable and you get the same thing from people on the WDW forums that prefer staying offsite. Disney hotels always have and always will be overpriced. At WDW it is easier for people to justify staying onsite for the numerous advantages. At DL it's a lot harder to justify. It's almost impossible to get reviews just on the hotel itself because everyone wants to compare it to staying "offsite", but offsite at DL is very different than offsite at WDW.

I enjoyed our stay at GCH back in 2011 because of the location, but the hotel to me was like a cheap imitation of WL. There is really nothing like the resort theming at WDW. I want to stay at a DL hotel just because I can this go around. The difference between the three is 300. 400 and 500 dollars per night.

Personally I don't like the Paradise Pier hotel because if I am paying the extra $$ for an onsite Disney branded hotel I want it to be better and more convenient than what I can get down the street on Harbor or elsewhere. It is a re-themed 2.5 star hotel. The rooms are worn and need a refresh badly and have really uncomfortable beds, the lack of elevators and waiting for an elevator still need better addressing, there is currently no bar/restaurant open onsite, the pools are okay, but hot tub was shut down when I went in Feb 2020 - I'm not sure if that is a normal issue or not.

Also, it is the only one of the 3 that you have to cross a busy street for. Yes, you can walk to DTD using the walking path that connects up with the DL hotel and DTD security checkpoint/entrance, but if you want to shave off a chunk of time and cut through the Grand to get to DCA or DL gates then crossing the street is the way to go, which is problematic because they flip flop about allowing access to guests of PP or DL hotel and then if they don't you get stuck and have to walk back around or wait for someone else with a key card to open. It is just a hassle/worry that isn't needed and to me this makes it just really feel like an off-site property at inflated prices.

Most of these things aren't an issue for me when I stay offsite - and I have stayed at and enjoyed many offsite hotels in the area, but when I pay more to stay on property I want to feel like I am ON property and that I can just walk out the hotel into DTD and have dining etc. at my fingertips. Both DL hotel and the Grand Cal offer that. Paradise Pier doesn't and feels more like it is a budget hotel that is "on property adjacent."

Since you have stayed at the Grand before I would stay at the Disneyland Hotel. It is a little more fun and upbeat for the kids/teens and has quick access to DTD and the monorail as well as Trader Sam's and Goofy's kitchen onsite for restaurants.

Disney hotels are always overpriced, but PP is in its own class. Especially with the lack of food options right now. I'm still miffed about our stay back in July in that regard - we couldn't even get a latte in the morning in the hotel.

It is like paying $400/night for an All Star and not even getting as much themeing as they have. The lobby layout has no flow, there is no life in there even though the CMs working there are nice. It just doesnt feel like a Disney hotel at all.

I enjoyed our stay at GCH back in 2011 because of the location, but the hotel to me was like a cheap imitation of WL. There is really nothing like the resort theming at WDW.

Grand Californian and Wilderness Lodge were both designed by the same architect. Granted, I agree that Grand Cal is the least impressive compared with Wilderness Lodge or Animal Kingdom Lodge (also same architect) but it executes its craftsman theme superbly.

Disneyland Resort is older than WDW and never had the benefit of land or money to build their hotels. They had to acquire them over time which is why the Disneyland Hotel (and PPH) exists in its form today. WDW had the benefit of land and capital to build themed resorts from its inception.

[
[/QUOTE]
Disney hotels are always overpriced, but PP is in its own class. Especially with the lack of food options right now. I'm still miffed about our stay back in July in that regard - we couldn't even get a latte in the morning in the hotel.

It is like paying $400/night for an All Star and not even getting as much themeing as they have. The lobby layout has no flow, there is no life in there even though the CMs working there are nice. It just doesnt feel like a Disney hotel at all.
We stayed at Springhill suites over the Summer. Breakfast was a joke and housekeeping was non-existent. I paid with points, but the cash rate was around 250 a night. Not exactly a bargain. This has been my experience at most hotels during the last 19 months.

A refreshing change was Universal Orlando. It was surprisingly normal. We had housekeeping every day, the breakfast buffet at Portofino was self serve. Club level at Hard rock was back to normal. I would suggest anyone looking to get their money's worth for a resort stay look at Universal.

That's understandable and you get the same thing from people on the WDW forums that prefer staying offsite. Disney hotels always have and always will be overpriced. At WDW it is easier for people to justify staying onsite for the numerous advantages. At DL it's a lot harder to justify. It's almost impossible to get reviews just on the hotel itself because everyone wants to compare it to staying "offsite", but offsite at DL is very different than offsite at WDW.

I enjoyed our stay at GCH back in 2011 because of the location, but the hotel to me was like a cheap imitation of WL. There is really nothing like the resort theming at WDW. I want to stay at a DL hotel just because I can this go around. The difference between the three is 300. 400 and 500 dollars per night.

Have you stayed at the Disneyland Hotel before? If not, this would be your best bet if resort theming and access to Downtown Disney is important to you. I’ve stayed at several of the WDW resorts and I wouldn’t necessarily say the theming is any better. The lobby at the Disneyland Hotel has model tea cups in the lobby and headboards that light up and play music. I definitely felt the Disney Magic while staying there.

Since 2011, the GCH rooms have had a major renovation and are now significantly nicer than WL rooms. It's not even close. The WL lobby is nice, I'll give you that (we stayed at the WL for our honeymoon and it was once my favorite WDW resort). But the Grand surpasses WL in food options, having a much nicer gym, spa, and IMO, better pools than WL. I also like the lobby bar (Hearthstone Lounge) and the piano player. Lends a bit of class where WL is more rustic.

I stayed a couple of years ago at PPH, and was surprised at the comfort of the rooms. The view of DCA at night was magical (I was on a high floor). But, I love DLH; I always pay a bit more to stay there. Much better food options, better pool area, very nice lobby and store. And Trader Sam's! The walk to DLH was more pleasant as well. I'd rather go without Legos and stay at DLH. I am the type if traveler who will pay for experiences and location more than care about purchasing items or souvenirs.

Since 2011, the GCH rooms have had a major renovation and are now significantly nicer than WL rooms. It's not even close. The WL lobby is nice, I'll give you that (we stayed at the WL for our honeymoon and it was once my favorite WDW resort). But the Grand surpasses WL in food options, having a much nicer gym, spa, and IMO, better pools than WL. I also like the lobby bar (Hearthstone Lounge) and the piano player. Lends a bit of class where WL is more rustic.
That is good to know. I believe they renovated the WL rooms too. I haven't had the opportunity to stay there since they turned it into mostly a DVC. It used to be the "cheap" deluxe to stay at. Now you rarely see it discounted.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter