Why isn't the food better at WDW?

We have been going since 2006 and the quality has gone down but the blame is enough to share around. One every time Disney takes a chance and opens a new place that is not just burgers and fries places like Skippers enough people complain that they down grade it. And I really believe the other culprit is greed. Disney is slowing making every place a clone of the other and when that happens the accountants go to work and start cutting the quality to "save" more money. After all their CEO needs his mega millions.

My suggestion would b to communicate ur feelings about it to upper mgt. It seems many agree with u, but it doesn’t move things forward unless u verbalize it to those who can implement change:)!

Many people blame free dining. I think that's probably a contributing factor. As others have said, most restaurants just don;'t have to be that good. I've never understood why people get all excited by WDW dining. It's mostly just big chain restaurant food dressed up in a costume.

We avoid most all of the counter service because it is generally terrible except for some of the places in World Showcase. There are also some good table service restaurants but they are mainly the signature restaurants and the price tag is much higher than it would be for the same quality food outside of Disney. But, the truth is a lot of people think the food is just fine and will continue to pay the high prices for mediocre quality.

Honestly, I don't have too bad of a beef with it. Above average food in most all cases. Yes, you pay top dollar because you are in a theme park, that just goes with the territory. The sheer amount of options are mind boggling and industry leading, and I certainly haven't experienced anything better in a theme park. Yeah, you will probably have better (insert your favorite genre of food here) food at whatever favorite place you frequent in your home vs. what Disney serves up at their respective place, but its still pretty good. Remember, they looking to serve the masses at high volume. I've been at very least adequately pleased at pretty much every table service I've had (through numerous visits utilizing the dining plan). The most suspect food I've had is probably just the bog standard burger at cosmic rays back in younger days when I wasn't a very adventurous eater- just a flavorless hockey puck unremarkable in any way- but honestly, with all the choices, a fast food burger is about the last thing I'm after anymore when visiting the world.

Good food is available in all the parks. You just have to know where to go. Yes its harder in DHS and MK, but its still there.

I want this everytimr I go to MK

Sweet-and-Spicy-Chicken-Waffle-Magic-Kingdom-DisneyDayByDay.jpg

Cannot like these two sentences more than what you stated.

Pixie dust is apparently mighty strong stuff with many.

Oh please, just because some of us disagree with those of you who find the food terrible to mediocre doesn't mean we have pixie dust in our eyes preventing us from seeing clearly. Or apparently we can't tell the difference between mediocre and good food. :rotfl:

We can play the game of who has been to better restaurants where, but it doesn't matter. My opinion won't change that Disney has above average theme park food and some downright great table service. We aren't disappointed when we eat at Disney World.

It's good enough. It's not great for the most part. For theme park food it's better than the rest. When you pay the price you pay to be in the parks you eat what's there and live with it. Yes you can go offsite for better, but who wants to waste 2-3 hours of the park time you've paid for to do that. Disney knows all of this. The restaurants are full, the counters have long lines, and too many people get so excited over the latest iteration of stale cupcakes. So what incentive is there for Disney to do anything different from what they are doing now?.

Last edited:
What I cant wrap my head around, is Tony's, and how its stayed in business all these years. Even with all of the complaints it has received over the years, disney just doesn't give a hoot. They kept it going. The same nasty red sauce remained on the menu for so long. They probably didnt feel a need to change things because business was pretty good. If it aint broke, dont fix it right?

However, just recently they took steps to improve the menu by hiring a new chef. Kudos. Is it enough? Personally, I doubt it. The food is so bad at Tony's, that i likely will never return. I've never said that about a disney restaurant before. Even if the reviews are consistently positive, i likely will stay away. I just cant get myself to return. That place needs a complete overhaul. Not only is the food bad, but so is the decore. I find it cold and uninviting.

Rant over. :wave2:

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I really like the food at WDW. I think the quality has actually improved over the last few years. I love to cook & have a reasonably refined palate (I think?) but I've always been able to find something I like on a menu. For as many people as WDW has to feed & water each day I think they do a respectable job. The snacks at the Epcot special event kiosks are terrific by just about any standard.

If I want to be wowed by incredible food, I'll be on a different vacation :confused3

PS the Lobster Roll at Columbia Harbor House is my favorite QS meal at MK:cool1:

After my last trip, I vowed to stop making food a focal point of my Disney trips. I know there are people who insist there is amazing food everywhere if I pick the right spots, but there is so much subjectivity and inconsistency factored into this equation that amazing to you may be underwhelming to me ...or even downright vile - especially if they're having an off day. I've tried so many places and dishes that people rave about only to have a "this is it?" or WORSE reaction when it comes to first hand experience. I'm not sure if it's even gone downhill or if I've just become less forgiving...because DH and my dad reminded me of several bad meals we've had over the years that occurred in the so-called glory days of Disney food. Thankfully, due to some dietary changes since my last trip, dining out has lost its luster, so shifting my focus should be easier. We all know Disney can be pricey, so I hate to address cost, but I still would like to see some value in what I'm getting. That's not saying that I expect it to be dirt cheap, but if you're going to charge $40+ for certain items, I'd like to feel like I'm at least eating $30 food :laughing:

There are bad places, good places, and great places at WDW. Some food really does "wow" me, but you have to know where to look for it. I can easily see how someone could take a trip and pick only the bad spots and come away thinking the food is overall awful. Conversely, someone could only hit the best spots and think the food is wonderful. It's always been this way and will continue to be because, well, this is pretty much true of all restaurants everywhere.

But no one wants to spend 3 hours eating lunch, that’s what it would take to leave the park, eat lunch and come back.

Personally, I wouldn’t do that either, but then I must be easier to please than you. I can always find something to eat at any park. If you can’t find anything to eat, WDW won’t stop you from bringing your own food. Pack a couple sandwiches and try to enjoy your day.

I don't have high expectations for food in a theme park, but I find it frustrating that when they do open places with a more "advanced" palate and after a few months or so they regress to the mean.....every restaurant can't be all things to all people.

Really I was just happy to not end up at cosmic rays last year. It's not that it's bad, but EVERY TRIP I'VE BEEN ON, I've eaten at cosmic rays.

I have no "natural skills" in the kitchen so who am I to talk but I am consistently underwhelmed, even disappointed, with the meals at WDW. I've had a mediocre lobster salad roll in MK, a terrible burger in HS, and a run of the mill carrot cake on the Boardwalk. I can't honestly remember the last time I was wow'd by anything culinary in the resorts, parks or DS. Now if you were say, at my house, this would be expected. But there's so much talent there, so much opportunity for great food, why is that not a priority?
Don't want to play the money card but truth is, the food ain't cheap. I believe Disney strives for excellence in so many things, why isn't the food one of those things?
Simply put, you are going to the wrong places and/or ordering the wrong things.

At Sci-Fi, I had one of the best steaks I have ever had in my life on our trip in January. BOG's French Onion Soup is my favorite french onion soup that I have ever had (and oddly it is vegetarian). I have eaten at Sanaa twice and neither time did a single person at our table have a bad dish. Yes, we liked some flavors better than others, but those were personal tastes, not quality issues. Boma has amazing food. Akershus has pretty good food as well. Another favorite of our last trip was Marakesh, which has amazing food and flavor, yes it is different spices than you would tend to expect, but it is delicious. 50's Prime Time has always been good for us, but I know some dishes are to be avoided.

The restaurant in Pandora is actually quite good, let's also not forget Flame Tree BBQ or Yak and Yeti (TS only is good, the CS stinks), then there's Whispering Canyon (haven't tried the new menu though), Storybook Dining at Artist's Palette, Brown Derby, Diamond Horseshoe, Skipper's Canteen.

The list goes on and on of good places and ultimately if you get something that isn't good, say something, you are paying enough for the meal, they will replace it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter