Why isn't the food better at WDW?

I do think that WDW could apply a bit more consistency to the food options and improve those that are notoriously bad - but then again, somebody probably likes them. I've never had a meal that I've outright hated, but I have had a few where I felt like it wasn't worth it and wouldn't get again. It was all decently edible though, even their overcooked burgers. I do wish I could get a decent slice of pizza like you can at Disneyland!

Yeah, I've been going to WDW for 35 years, multiple times per year, and I don't know where the "good" restaurants are. :rolleyes:

If you think all the food is chain style then no, you don't know where at least a few of the restaurants are. But as you're a regular, I'm sure you can admit that Victoria & Alberts is not "dressed up chain food". Or California Grille. Or Narcoosee's. Point being, I don't think anyone would call all Disney dining Haute Cuisine, but it's certainly not all chain style.

Do those who are disappointed about how much Disney charges for food the quality of the food they offer apply that kind of comparison to how much Disney charges for some felt and plastic (Mickey Ears)? If so I imagine that spending a day at the parks must be really tough.

I have never really found the food "bad" but I also do not find it "great", like I said before I find it okay with some very good meals and not-so very good meals. I also think that the parks do a very good job ias far as giving our family a LOT of selections to choose from.

I'm not difficult to please. I was pointing out that you mentioned all these good places to eat, but they weren't IN the parks. We want good food IN the parks, I'm not even requesting great food. Magic Kingdom need good QS, period. And it just isn't there, the QS food is just okay.

And I disagree. I actually enjoy QS at all the parks. I love Pecos Bill’s salads and Sautuli Canteen in AK. I think there’s plenty of good food in all the parks if you know where to look.

I'm not difficult to please. I was pointing out that you mentioned all these good places to eat, but they weren't IN the parks. We want good food IN the parks, I'm not even requesting great food. Magic Kingdom needs good QS, period. And it just isn't there, the QS food is just okay.
For a variety of reasons we avoid QS in general but like you find MK one of the hardest places to find any type of worth the price eateries. When hungry @ MK we tend to leave the park and hit the nearby resorts.

Last edited:
We've had very VERY few disappointing or "bad" meals at Disney. Ohana comes to mine as being just awful (though Dh said it was just ok). Food is a big part of our trips to Disney.

Food quality does seem to go up and down, as does the Disney price vs. Real world price of various foods. When we first started going oh so long ago, the food wasn't anything to write home about, and it was really expensive in comparison to food you'd buy at home. Right now I feel they are in an upswing with QS (esp. if they pull off SW:GE eats the way I hope). I do think you have to know your own tastes and know the restaurants all around WDW, not just the parks. Some people will be happy with anything, while some people will never be happy.

I remember back when MGM opened and Backlot had this mystery brown sauce they loved to put on all their burgers. Who knows what that was made of, and it wasn't "good" exactly, but it was distinct, they had it several trips... and dang if that sauce didn't stick with you in your memory and when you were at home and hadn't gone for awhile, nothing would have tasted better than those burgers with that sauce because that would mean you were in Disney! lol It disappeared years ago unfortunately...

I live in New Orleans - so I am jaded. I have access to wonderful food. I can eat at some of the best restaurants in the country for half of what it costs at Disney (Commander's Palace, Arnaud's, Antoine's, Galatoire's) . Plus I can eat at many holes in the wall off the beaten track for pennies on the dollar compared to Disney.

I can find decent food to eat at Disney - but it will cost me an arm and a leg. I've eaten at V&A three times - two times at the Chef's table - wonderful food but way overpriced. Sometimes we bite the bullet and pay for it. Other times I take a sandwich to Disney (a good one that I want) vs. buying something overpriced that is just okay.

Do what works for you.

I do think that WDW could apply a bit more consistency to the food options and improve those that are notoriously bad - but then again, somebody probably likes them. I've never had a meal that I've outright hated, but I have had a few where I felt like it wasn't worth it and wouldn't get again. It was all decently edible though, even their overcooked burgers. I do wish I could get a decent slice of pizza like you can at Disneyland!
Where inside Disneyland or California adventure can you get a decent Pizza? Heck, you can't even get one at DTD, you can go across the street to Pizza Press or down to Katella to Blaze and get decent pizzas, but on property, not so much.

Where inside Disneyland or California adventure can you get a decent Pizza? Heck, you can't even get one at DTD, you can go across the street to Pizza Press or down to Katella to Blaze and get decent pizzas, but on property, not so much.

Well, I said decent, not great. Pizza Planet (Red Rocket's) is alright. Sometimes they will hae a specialty slice that is pretty good (cheeseburger comes to mind). It's overpriced sure, but it's way more edible than the personal style round ones that pervade WDW, which aren't good at all.

Well, I said decent, not great. Pizza Planet (Red Rocket's) is alright. Sometimes they will hae a specialty slice that is pretty good (cheeseburger comes to mind). It's overpriced sure, but it's way more edible than the personal style round ones that pervade WDW, which aren't good at all.
I wouldn't even call their pizzas edible, let alone decent, not even the specialty ones. BTW, their crust, sauce, etc. Is the same recipe as the round ones at WDW.

I agree, but I'd say it's been closer to 20 years, since the restaurants were very good. Anyone who didn't eat at WDW table service restaurants, during the Eisner years, doesn't know how much the food has declined.

I so agree with this! 20 years ago, one of the big treats of going to WDW was the food. Not only could you pretty much walk into any restaurant without a reservation, you were dazzled! Everything now seems mass produced, rushed and crowded. I don't blame WDW, they are just keeping up with demand.
It would have seemed crazy to us 20 years ago to bring groceries and have meals in our villa, but so be it. A frozen Amy's pizza, some appetizers and wine in the comfort of a BWV is a much better experience than fighting our way through a crowded TS meal (Spice Road is the exception).

I think it comes down to expectations vs. reality. People place high expectations on the food for a few reasons; price is a driving force for sure and also, the food and dining experiences have gotten so much attention in the recent years that there is this "amped up" perception that WDW is a dining mecca, and the ADR system has really amplified this. People log onto the ADR system 6 months in advance at the crack of dawn just to get reservations to some pretty mediocre restaurants. There are websites that provide services to scour the ADR system and notify you when you can book. It's nuts. So people go through all that and think to themselves "this place must be amazing!" It's caused hysteria that in most cases is unnecessary and unwarranted.

When it comes to QS, you shouldn't have very high expectations naturally but the food should at least be hot and fresh. The 1 credit TS meals probably suffer the most in terms of people's expectations. The prices are high for what you are getting and the food is mass produced. You can find some decent food at some of the 1 credit places but again, if you're going into it expecting more than average food and more than good service, you are most likely going to be disappointed. There are exceptions of course. The 2 credit TS signature meals, you are paying premium prices and many times you are outside of the parks, expectations are even higher and probably should be. I expect very good food and very good service at 2 credit TS meals. But even still, I don't place the same expectations on the 2 credit TS meals that I would if I were dining in a nice restaurant at home. I'm still at WDW after all.

I think it comes down to expectations vs. reality. People place high expectations on the food for a few reasons; price is a driving force for sure and also, the food and dining experiences have gotten so much attention in the recent years that there is this "amped up" perception that WDW is a dining mecca, and the ADR system has really amplified this. People log onto the ADR system 6 months in advance at the crack of dawn just to get reservations to some pretty mediocre restaurants. There are websites that provide services to scour the ADR system and notify you when you can book. It's nuts. So people go through all that and think to themselves "this place must be amazing!" It's caused hysteria that in most cases is unnecessary and unwarranted.

When it comes to QS, you shouldn't have very high expectations naturally but the food should at least be hot and fresh. The 1 credit TS meals probably suffer the most in terms of people's expectations. The prices are high for what you are getting and the food is mass produced. You can find some decent food at some of the 1 credit places but again, if you're going into it expecting more than average food and more than good service, you are most likely going to be disappointed. There are exceptions of course. The 2 credit TS signature meals, you are paying premium prices and many times you are outside of the parks, expectations are even higher and probably should be. I expect very good food and very good service at 2 credit TS meals. But even still, I don't place the same expectations on the 2 credit TS meals that I would if I were dining in a nice restaurant at home. I'm still at WDW after all.

My sentiments exactly. I never understood "must have" reservations because of the food. I think a lot of the 1 TS meals are probably heated up from frozen just like a lot of the big chains. It's probably the only way to move those large numbers of people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter