Why isn't the food better at WDW?

My sentiments exactly. I never understood "must have" reservations because of the food. I think a lot of the 1 TS meals are probably heated up from frozen just like a lot of the big chains. It's probably the only way to move those large numbers of people.
I think that there is a lot less of that going on than those bashing Disney dining are suggesting. That's more likely to be the case with quick service, but with full-service meals it is probably just as well to prepare items fresh.

What is more prevalent is large volume cooking. Let's take Marrakesh for example. The couscous is made in large volumes, as is the accompaniment (lamb, chicken, vegetables, beef) - the latter probably made from scratch every day. Each is kept warm and moist until it is time to fill an order. Then, it is scoop, spread, scoop, pour, decorate, run to the table.

And there really isn't anything bad about that. I think the problem is that people look at the price and forget to acknowledge how much of what you're paying for is the location. A good rule of thumb is 35%. So the Vegetable Couscous is $22 on the menu - you want to think of that as a $14.50 entree with a $7.50 location premium. And the Vegetable Couscous at Marrakesh is as good as the $15 vegetable couscous we get at our local Moroccan restaurant.

The late 90s were an era when WDW sought to ramp up the quality of their TS restaurants. The idea was to create a foodie destination coupled with a theme park experience. Once the dining plan kicked in (and I do remember when appetizers and tip were included) the philosophy started to change. So be it.

From what I heard, the food quality at QS used to be much better back in the 90s and early 2000s. I can't speak too much on it since I was a kid, but I do remember a difference in hamburger quality. As others have said, Disney doesn't need to work hard to provide HQ food since they already have pulled guests in, but I can tell you Disney does really well with QS food in comparison to 6 Flags/other standard amusement parks. Also, they do a relatively good job at offering a wide variety and catering to dietary needs. There are some hidden gems, you just have to find them. If you need recommendations, PM me and I'd be happy to help.

The late 90s were an era when WDW sought to ramp up the quality of their TS restaurants. The idea was to create a foodie destination coupled with a theme park experience. Once the dining plan kicked in (and I do remember when appetizers and tip were included) the philosophy started to change. So be it.

I remember reading a really funny review on that Deb's Unofficial WDW page a few years ago. I think it was on Le Cellier and the person was lamenting the 'orange soda crowd' ruining it. We always use that term now!

I think it's good. But DL food is great.
First off I don’t do quick service normally.
We do breakfast and a snack then signature dinner.
I have been to DL also and found no difference. I hear people say how DL is so much better but I didn’t see it.
The worst pizza I have ever had was at DL.
We do BOG and Liberty Tree at MK. BOG is better but what can they with the LT menu.
At HS we do Brown Derby (very good) Mama Melrose and Prime Time ( good but not exceptional).
At EPCOT we do France ( very good) ,Italy is okay but not great for the price.
Many of our dinners are in the hotels.
While the food is expensive, isn’t it expensive at all tourist destinations ?
How about eating at sports events or concerts ? Outrageously expensive and mostly terrible.

We look forward to a relaxing vacation with a couple of wonderful meals and some not as great but better than
I am led to believe.

This subject is so subjective. I have heard bloggers rave about places that I wouldn’t ever to go.
Just relax and try to enjoy.

And by rights, Disney Springs and the deluxe hotels are better venues from which to service foodies.

From what I heard, the food quality at QS used to be much better back in the 90s and early 2000s.
Gosh, no. TS was better back then; QS has never been as good as it is now.

I am not hard to please. Some decent BBQ or a good burger is plenty good for me but there isn’t decent BBQ or a good burger at WDW. If the cheese on a cheeseburger is warmer than room temperature at WDW you should call the press and document it. The french fries are a crime against humanity.

WDW is following Prison culinary practices (you are here and not going anywhere so put it in your mouth and shut your yap). Instead of a Michelin system they should have a Supermax rating (this restaurant has a Supermax two star rating). I always feel kind of guilty feeding my children at WDW (I worry-I hope this doesn’t have any long term impact on their growth). But, we love WDW and so accept it along with the rest of the hungry masses.

These threads always have a lot of posters saying why no, the food is great at WDW. You must be too stupid to find it. I always wonder what these people eat at home but to each his own.

I am not hard to please. Some decent BBQ or a good burger is plenty good for me but there isn’t decent BBQ or a good burger at WDW. If the cheese on a cheeseburger is warmer than room temperature at WDW you should call the press and document it. The french fries are a crime against humanity.

WDW is following Prison culinary practices (you are here and not going anywhere so put it in your mouth and shut your yap). Instead of a Michelin system they should have a Supermax rating (this restaurant has a Supermax two star rating). I always feel kind of guilty feeding my children at WDW (I worry-I hope this doesn’t have any long term impact on their growth). But, we love WDW and so accept it along with the rest of the hungry masses.

These threads always have a lot of posters saying why no, the food is great at WDW. You must be too stupid to find it. I always wonder what these people eat at home but to each his own.

Since you asked - I live in Chicago and I also am I good cook, if I do say so myself. I eat GREAT at home and in restaurants. :) Yet I still can think the food we've eaten at Disney is above average to sometimes downright great (California Grill comes to mind with a spectacular dinner one evening) for theme park counter service and table service restaurants. I don't order burgers that much, anywhere. I don't think anyone has said that Disney should be providing Michelin starred dining experiences and it would be foolish to expect that (outside of a select few restaurants)

What do you eat at home?

Look at these restaurants now in Disney Springs (which I consider to be part of the entire Disney Dining experience) - you really don't think these places offer better than average food?

Boathouse
Morimoto (plus their street food)
Homecomin
Wine Bar George
Cucina Frontera (plus their take out)
Jaleo
Enzo's Hideaway
Polite Pig
D-luxe Burger

Last edited:
Oh-I am so sorry for you that you live in Chicago. I know it must be hard. I also know that many in Chicago can’t accept that others may have a different opinion.:)

I was speaking about in the Parks but actually I haven’t had a good dinner in DS also. I haven’t eaten at all the restaurants on your list but didn’t like Boathouse nor Morimoto nor D luxe burger nor Cucina.

I am a US citizen living outside the US and so you would have to google what I eat right now. When I am in the US (usually Houston) and eat out I like five guys burgers and killen’s bbq. Also good Tex Mex generally in Houston and good steaks (killen’s steaks are good).

They feed maybe 300,000/day for a month at Houston rodeo (roughly comparable to WDW) and the food is much better in my estimation then WDW. The difference i think is that at Houston rodeo you have a lot more BBQ and burger and Tex Mex that are from smaller restaurants whereas at WDW parks you have only Disney. I am not interested in glitzy meals but just meals that the staff are interested in providing good food. Five guys is probably an exception to this but I just like their burgers.

Oh-I am so sorry for you that you live in Chicago. I know it must be hard. I also know that many in Chicago can’t accept that others may have a different opinion.:)

I was speaking about in the Parks but actually I haven’t had a good dinner in DS also. I haven’t eaten at all the restaurants on your list but didn’t like Boathouse nor Morimoto nor D luxe burger nor Cucina.

I am a US citizen living outside the US and so you would have to google what I eat right now. When I am in the US (usually Houston) and eat out I like five guys burgers and killen’s bbq. Also good Tex Mex generally in Houston and good steaks (killen’s steaks are good).

They feed maybe 300,000/day for a month at Houston rodeo (roughly comparable to WDW) and the food is much better in my estimation then WDW. The difference i think is that at Houston rodeo you have a lot more BBQ and burger and Tex Mex that are from smaller restaurants whereas at WDW parks you have only Disney. I am not interested in glitzy meals but just meals that the staff are interested in providing good food. Five guys is probably an exception to this but I just like their burgers.
Also I haven’t eaten at VA because could never get a reservation but it may be completely different than other WDW venues. Even when we stayed at GF we couldn’t get in.

Even worse is I'm Italian and from Chicago - I find it impossible to be insulted because I'm so awesome.

Have a good night and a great dinner! :)

Last edited:
Even worse is I'm Italian and from Chicago - I find it impossible to be insulted because I'm so awesome.

Have a good night and a great dinner! :)
Thanks. Dinner was many hours ago and it was good. Sorry if anything was insulting personal opinions can be just so disturbing. :)

Thanks. Dinner was many hours ago and it was good. Sorry if anything was insulting personal opinions can be just so disturbing. :)
I had a contractor rep that grew up in Italy and somehow the conversation turned to Rocky Mountain oysters. He explained to me that only vulgar Americans consumed those. I told him I had eaten in a restaurant in Rome that was renowned for antipasta and in fact sweetbreads were included. He said it was impossible but in fact sweetbreads were included. I guess Rocky Mountain oysters sounds vulgar in comparison to sweetbreads.

I guess I'm one of those who get a straw (oops, that's becoming a no no) and sniff a whole lot of pixie dust up my nostrils. I enjoy many of the restaurants in WDW. Part of my experience at WDW is to enjoy a relaxing dinner with my family that lasts longer than 20 minutes and not just the attractions. I enjoy Jiko, Narcoossee's, California Grill, Flying Fish and several others.

If someone likes to grab and go at a QS and grab a burger and fries (and enjoys it) and run to the next attraction, so be it. That is how they enjoy their vacation. If someone (like me) who is not a park commando and enjoys and thinks the food at many of the restaurants is good, so be it. That is how I enjoy my vacation.

When did we become a society where if someone else has a different idea, belief, or how they enjoy their Disney vacation they are someone that is wrong and should be shot down or debated? I can't stand fast food, if you do there is nothing wrong with you. I can't stand a Chevy, if you do there is nothing wrong with you. If I like Disney food and you don't... We are both right. My mother used to say, "Different strokes for different folks."

Last edited:
Just an FYI.... sweetbreads are the thymus gland. Rocky Mountain oysters are bull testicles.

I sure hope that other poster isn't a surgeon!

FWIW, I loves me some tasty veal thymus! My old-school neighborhood steakhouse has had a sweetbreads and mushroom appetizer on the menu for decades.

Just an FYI.... sweetbreads are the thymus gland. Rocky Mountain oysters are bull testicles.
You are right and I apologize for the mistake. I was one of many that thought sweetbreads included testicles but as I now understand testicles are rarely sweetbreads.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter