Why isn't the food better at WDW?

For all those that are lambasting WDW for poor restaurant meals...I'm curious what criteria you use to define what is "bad"?

I will agree that there are a number of simply fair to mediocre dining options, especially in MK, I would say while I may not enjoy what many other establishments have to offer I can admit that even in the majority of those the actual quality of the food is above par.

My wife is an executive in the high end restaurant industry so I am privy to some very discerning pallets. As such I can say with a certain level of authority that as many others have mentioned there are far more very good TS options than those I would deem as inedible.

Good question.

i think it all depends on where you are eating.
Are there really mediocre to bad restaurants? Absolutely!
MK - Until Skipper Canteen and maybe BoG opened, the food choices in MK were not very good.
HS outside of Brown Derby and Mama Melrose (hit and miss), the food choices are not good.
AK - Lots of good TS and QS options.
EPCOT - again many goodTS and CS options.
DS - huge number of very good TS and CS options.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

I think there's very good food that my family hasn't even had yet at restaurants we have yet to explore. We have definitely been disappointed. We try to return to restaurants where we have loved the food, and we don't usually give a restaurant a second chance unless somebody really wants to try one more time.

Hmmmm, I don't think WDW food is that bad, but it is definitely overpriced for the quality. I just think about the logistics of it, having to feed all of those people, and I am fairly amazed that it is as good as it is. I also think that the atmosphere of a lot of the restaurants can't be beat.

People who pay for dining during that time are paying for some of the worst food I have ever eaten at WDW. We have even talked to CMs who say that Disney buys cheaper product and often changes the menus during that timeframe to reduce cost.

This is interesting. I never do free dining or go during those times, so maybe this is why I have a better experience?

Why.......because we are all food critics these days!

Ever since Gordon Ramsey started yelling like a fool, everyone decided they can do the same thing sadly......

Granted it has been awhile since our last WDW trip, we are heading back in Aug and am looking forward to eating in WDW, some pretty good choices if you ask me. Are the prices a bit high, yea but then EVERY restaurant is a bit high IMPO. Considering WDW has was some 140+ places to eat, that is amazing that it works somehow, yea sometimes it is not up to ones personal par and or something went wrong, then I have yet not been to a restaurant that could be a bit better on certain things, even some 5 star dining places we have been too. If it is wrong or something is off, taste, smell, temperate or even the service then by all means speak up, in a nice way. Having worked in the industry for about 16 years in my early adult life, it is a difficult, personal way to make a living and can be VERY trying at times, so I say sit back, relax take in the WDW atmosphere and enjoy it man as you are in Disney!!!

I’m not sure what you’re expecting from a theme park. And honestly, there are so many options in and around WDW including many, many good ones at DS and the resorts. If you can’t find something you like down here, you’re not looking hard enough.

But no one wants to spend 3 hours eating lunch, that’s what it would take to leave the park, eat lunch and come back.

There are MANY good options that don't take 3 hours (or one). I wouldn't order a hamburger at a theme park. There are lots of articles on the best quick service or even food cart options available at WDW. Sure, if I'm feeling lazy I'll do a sit down (which usually takes me ~45-60 minutes if they have alcohol, not three hours) but I honestly can't eat enough to justify a sit down most of the time. I think the grab & go food has really improved over the past 5 years or so and that's my favorite way to eat while running around the parks.

If you want truly bad food, go to Disneyland Paris.
Other than the fries in a restaurant in their Frontierland, which were amazing... probably some of the worst food I've had in my life.

For all those that are lambasting WDW for poor restaurant meals...I'm curious what criteria you use to define what is "bad"?

I will agree that there are a number of simply fair to mediocre dining options, especially in MK, I would say while I may not enjoy what many other establishments have to offer I can admit that even in the majority of those the actual quality of the food is above par.

My wife is an executive in the high end restaurant industry so I am privy to some very discerning pallets. As such I can say with a certain level of authority that as many others have mentioned there are far more very good TS options than those I would deem as inedible.

I'm curious about that as well.
I've lucky to live in what many people would consider a food paradise in the PNW, and I've got a fairly discernible palette. I've actually had quite a few great meals at WDW. Now, we normally do sit down meals, and I tend to research before making reservations. When we go to counter service it is usually with a goal of getting something not so nutritionally dense, because we are at a theme park, so my criteria for QS is more along the lines of 'is it greasy enough'.

I, too, live in a food mecca, grew up in another one, am an excellent home cook, know some of the nation's best chefs, and have eaten literally hundreds of meals at multi-star and -diamond restaurants...and still look forward to Disney meals. I know what to avoid (QS burgers and pizza in the parks, most buffets, and most of the selections at value resort food courts).

But good food still abounds throughout WDW, even within the theme parks. I also don't think it has deteriorated from a quality perspective, although the Dining Plan and many guest's unadventurous palates have lead to a lot of dumbing-down of the food. Plenty of places have tried to push the envelope a bit, only to end up switching more toward lowest common denominator choices.

Also, despite so many people thinking they could be a Food Network judge or a professional critic, there is the fact that having bad taste is a real condition and not just a euphemism for other transgressions! Some of it is built-in (senses of taste and smell), some it is experiential (poor benchmarking experience), and some of it relates to the numerous "issues" that people have.

Considering WDW is a resort and not a regular city, they serve decent food overall. Most of my gripes are service-related inconsistencies at TS places, rather than the food quality.

Last edited:
If you want truly bad food, go to Disneyland Paris.
Other than the fries in a restaurant in their Frontierland, which were amazing... probably some of the worst food I've had in my life.

We had a good meal at the Agrabah Bazaar, but man the food situation there is just weird. It seemed like no in-park sit down restaurants were open for dinner, they all closed around 4.

It used to be good.... but like all things Disney things have declined over their years.
110% disagree. Don’t see a decline at all. WDW or DLR is better than ever.
Haven’t seen nothing but wonderful parks since 1990. Went as an adult for the first time then. Many as a kid of the 70s and 80s. But definitely no decline.. Always look forward to our next trip.
DLR is simply phenomenal. California Adventure has been completely redone and everything from food down to any detail one can think of is top notch. No decline. Food choices and quality at WDW or DL. Is very good for the quantity of folks they have to feed. Very good.

Last edited:
We have been going to WDW at least yearly since 1995. The food those first 10 or so years was pretty darn good, even in the 1 credit TS. Which of course were not 1 credit TS at the time, since there was no dining plan. Then they introduced the dining plan in 2005. That started the decline of most 1 credit TS restaurants. Then WDW started introducing free dining at select times of the year. Let’s just say as DVC members, we avoid free dining like the plague. People who pay for dining during that time are paying for some of the worst food I have ever eaten at WDW. We have even talked to CMs who say that Disney buys cheaper product and often changes the menus during that timeframe to reduce cost. The signature restaurants have been able to stand up to some of this and still offer some pretty good food, since you have to use two credits to eat there. If you know where to go and what to order, you can still get a decent meal at WDW. We usually eat breakfast in the room and a light lunch around the pool or QS in a park. QS is really pretty basic to me. I would just say it is just ok. I do like Flaming Tree and a couple places in EPCOT. For dinner we normally go to DS or a resort signature.

What months are free dining this year?

We had a good meal at the Agrabah Bazaar, but man the food situation there is just weird. It seemed like no in-park sit down restaurants were open for dinner, they all closed around 4.
If we ever make it back there, I'm going to have to do some deep dive food research.
...and yeah, it was weird.

Because they don't have to.

The restaurants (especially in the parks and less so at the resorts) will be mostly full serving mediocre swill at an overpriced rate.

While some restaurants have a reputation that gets out in advance, there are newbies that don't know that will book and pay.

Bama Ed

PS - service excellence exited WDW about 10 years ago. Since then it's been declining by degrees. Oh they still talk excellence but the performance has definitely been lacking.

Exactly.

Also, I think, on vacation, people also tend to splurge nutritionally. Yeah, that specialty cupcake is amazing compared to the sugar free jello I just ate for dessert, but it doesn't actually taste any better than the cupcakes from Walmart. In other words, Disney can get away with lower quality food because it is loaded with salt, sugar, fat that make people like it more than it deserves, perhaps.

Why.......because we are all food critics these days!

Ever since Gordon Ramsey started yelling like a fool, everyone decided they can do the same thing sadly......

Granted it has been awhile since our last WDW trip, we are heading back in Aug and am looking forward to eating in WDW, some pretty good choices if you ask me. Are the prices a bit high, yea but then EVERY restaurant is a bit high IMPO. Considering WDW has was some 140+ places to eat, that is amazing that it works somehow, yea sometimes it is not up to ones personal par and or something went wrong, then I have yet not been to a restaurant that could be a bit better on certain things, even some 5 star dining places we have been too. If it is wrong or something is off, taste, smell, temperate or even the service then by all means speak up, in a nice way. Having worked in the industry for about 16 years in my early adult life, it is a difficult, personal way to make a living and can be VERY trying at times, so I say sit back, relax take in the WDW atmosphere and enjoy it man as you are in Disney!!!
I think this plays a part as well. When I was a kid, going to McDs or Olive Garden was a special treat. Kids went to school with pb&J and tuna sandwiches. Nowadays, those restaurants are maligned (but someone is still going) and you need to pack your kid a Bento Box with edamame, hummus, and avocado toast shaped like their favorite cartoon character.
Now, I've only been to WDW between 2003-2016, but I always found the food pretty average.

I’ve read this entire thread, and as another poster mentioned, they’re all simply opinions. But overall, we’ve been happy with our meals.

We’ve done three trips to DW with our family. Our first in years (with kids and grandparents), I got an pin code, so the DDP was a great deal. Our meals were great! Our faves were Grand Floridian, ‘Ohana, The Wave (so good in fact, we’ve gone back each trip....never been disappointed). We were ‘meh’ about The Garden Grill amd Tusker House.

We try a few new ones each trip. We’ve never had a meal that was so bad, we just couldn’t eat, but some are certainly better than others.

When it comes to QS restaurants, I must be very tolerant! For our family of 5 to eat at McDonalds (disclaimer, we are in Canada), we routinely spend at least $40, amd usually more. Kids happy meals are $6.00, and grown up meal is average of $10-$12.

Any QS at DW would be comparable in price (or less) and certainly in quality to McDs. The variety is great!

I definitely prefer the DDP, because while you’re paying for it, i would hate that sticker shock! Our most disappointing meal last trip was at H&V......I know....it’s not fine dining, but that was one of our best breakfasts, so we figured we’d try again for Minnie’s dinner....it was food. The kids preferred it more than the adults for sure!

With three kids under 12...our typical restaurant fare is fast food, or family friendly options like Red Lobster, Boston Pizza, old Spagetti Factory, and our Disney meals are pretty comparable.

I’m excited to try some new options on our next trip!

I think this plays a part as well. When I was a kid, going to McDs or Olive Garden was a special treat. Kids went to school with pb&J and tuna sandwiches. Nowadays, those restaurants are maligned (but someone is still going) and you need to pack your kid a Bento Box with edamame, hummus, and avocado toast shaped like their favorite cartoon character.
Now, I've only been to WDW between 2003-2016, but I always found the food pretty average.
Ha! Just made my son’s lunch for tomorrow with a sunbutter and jelly sandwich, edamame, and a yogurt smoothie. Guess I’m straddling the good old days and new age.

I’ve had inedible food at WDW and I’ve had some excellent dishes. Excellent snacks as well. It’s like visiting any other city with hundreds of options, not all of them are good but to say everything is bad sounds like a personal problem.

Add me to the list of people who are more than pleased with the food offerings at Disney. Debate their prices all day but Disney does not for the most part cheap out on their lists of ingredients. They use some of the best suppliers in the industry including Verlasso and Faroe Island Salmon, Snake River Farms Beef, Kurabuta Pork, Creekstone Farms, Pacifico Seabass, Durham Ranch Game, Green Circle Poultry, Bell and Evan's Chicken and Beeler Family Farms among others. Any company just mailing it in because they can would not be spending the money to purchase from the above suppliers. There are much cheaper options available if you didn't care what you were serving.

I find most of my meals well prepared, ample portion sized and nicely presented. 80% of the time service has been good to excellent which I consider a high percentage given the state of the service industry these days. Yes I've had meals I've been less than pleased with, Ohana being the biggest let down, but considering the number of establishments they're operating and the ridiculous size of their Culinary Team I think they're doing a commendable job.

Last edited:
My biggest issue with WDW food is the appalling lack of fresh produce available. I was just there last week and was DYING for some fresh fruit that was not melons, mushy bagged grapes, or sliced apples. Most salads were nothing more than lettuce. Vegetable sides at TS meals were like, 2 stalks of asparagus, or 3 florets of broccoli. I eat a lot of produce at home and I really missed it.

I live in southern CA and am a frequent visitor to DL and they have all those carts in the parks overflowing with fresh fruit and veggie options, salads loaded with vegetables, and just more fresh food and healthy snacks in general. WDW needs to step it up in that department. Most of my meals were the beige color palette...

One thing that will never change is the overcooked hockey puck burgers. That is a food safety issue since they are using pre formed patties that are purchased in bulk from a supplier. Those are always the kind that end up giving people e.coli and in order to prevent that, they have to be cooked well done, which will always dry them out. They could at least use heat lamps to melt the darn cheese on a cheeseburger, though. Cold cheese on a burger is the WORST.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter