Why my trip to Universal?

Spike101

Affable gay geek
I've been posting a lot on these forums and been in a bit of a reflective mood tonight, so thought I'd share just why I'm off to 'The darkside' in just over 5 weeks time, in January 2018 going to Orlando wasnt even a thought......

So January 2018 I was looking for a job, I'd quit and finished at my last place of employment at the end of December, my choice, I was very unhappy, I had to leave, it was a bold step, but one I knew I had to do.

Please bear with, anyhoo, this time last year, I got a new job, I was very, very lucky to be out of work for only just over a month, keep with this please.

So I had a new job, and once I'd settled in was very happy, fast forward to the summer, I had to have some dental work, thats when I started the 6 month road to see if I had cancer of the mouth, my dentist having spotted something that she knew had to be checked out.

So the very slow process of me having appointments at the hospital began, come August, on my regular radio channel I listen to every day, 2 DJ's are doing a radio show from Orlando, lucky buggers, I was so jealous that they got paid to be somewhere I'd always wanted to go.

And thats what got me thinking, without wanting to sound too morbid, I had the threat of cancer hanging over my head, and I thought to myself, well, you know what, this may be your only chance, so I looked at how much a holiday to Orlando would cost, and it was a lot less than I thought it would be.

But, it was never about Disney, Universal always appealed more, I've been to Disneyland Paris a couple of times so kinda felt I'd done it, I did go to Universal in Hollywood back in 1995 and loved it (So chuffed I can say I did the Back to the Future ride) and lets face it, Harry Potter, Marvel and the Simpsons to look forward to!

So, after watching many, many vlogs on Youtube, reading god knows how many reviews of just about everything Universal online, buying the guidebooks (The Unofficial Guides) I'm raring to go, oh, and I got the all clear on the mouth cancer, although I do have to have laser surgery on my mouth (just a precaution) a week after I get home.

Lastly I would like to add how brilliant everyone on these forums have been in my short time of posting, everything I've asked has been answered in the best way possible, not a 'troll' to be seen, thanks for reading all this ,witches and wizards and mutants (Rogue is my favourite by the way)

Spike.

(Seeya there from 4th March if you're around) :)

Hi so glad everything worked out for you. Universal is my happy place:goodvibes you will have a great trip.

I do like Rogue but Bobby is my favorite. Which is funny cause I hate ice,snow and cold!

Spike congratulations on the great news of no cancer......I know this was a massive relief off your shoulders.

You will have a great time at Unversal. It sounds like you are doing all your homework to make the best of your upcoming vacation.

You will be there to enjoy Mardi Gras. The floats were awesome last year.

If there is anything we can do to help fill in any gaps of information to make your vacation a special one, let us know, someone will jump in to help.

Thank you for sharing your story, now its time to celebrate!
We don't arrive until the 10th, but have a super trip!

Thank you everyone for your kind words, also I turned 50 at the end of last year so its also a belated 50th birthday present to myself, its funny actually, that if not for the health scare I had I dont know if this trip would have even occoured to me, every cloud n all that!

Spike,

Thanks for sharing your story! Since we're baring our souls, here's mine: When I was 40 (17 years ago), a close friend of mine died of meningitis. He woke up feeling a bit ill and was dead by that evening.

My lifelong dream was to travel. I was a bookish kid, and read a lot of books about England, so that was always my main travel dream. But also the many other places I read about, ever since I was a child. When my friend died, I told myself: "You could be gone tomorrow. Start living your dream!"

For the next ten years I was lucky enough to have enough time and money to travel, and my kids were old enough to join in. I've been to dozens of countries, and plenty of times to Disney and even Universal! I even worked out a deal to barter going on cruises (giving classes, etc) and have been on dozens of those, taking sisters and kids and friends who might not have had a chance to go otherwise.

Life intervened in a big way in 2008, and was unemployed / underemployed for a few years, so travel was out of the question. In recent years, I found a wonderful job and now have a bit of time to travel again. Right back at it: Living the dream!

Spike, we will find you in March if it's the last thing I do!

You will not be disappointed with Universal. I wasn't really a theme park guy until the Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened in 2010, and after going to the theme park -- I fell in love with the whole place. Going there makes me smile, even on my third time. But just be prepared -- the merch is pricey so watch your spending.

I might go to Disneyland or Disney Cruises for the Marvel experiences, but WDW just doesn't appeal to me. Disney feels mostly geared towards children, while Universal has an "all ages" appeal. There's something for both adults and children.

Spike101, thanks for sharing your story and congrats on being in the clear, and for taking charge and making the decision to travel to Florida. I have only been to Universal a few times, but it makes me happier than no other place I've been. You are going to have such a great time! I will be looking for your review when you get back. Have a blast!

Oh, and I forgot to add, a LOT of overtime at work! :)

Where there’s a will, there is a way. I :confused3 when people post and complain how expensive a trip is to either of the major Orlando parks, then they proceed to list a trip full of nearly every extravagance you can imagine.

The parks can’t exactly be done on a dime, but there are many tricks to save a few bucks here & there while still having a wonderful overall experience.

Congrats on the clean bill of health, life is short, enjoy.:thumbsup2

Where there’s a will, there is a way. I :confused3 when people post and complain how expensive a trip is to either of the major Orlando parks, then they proceed to list a trip full of nearly every extravagance you can imagine.

The parks can’t exactly be done on a dime, but there are many tricks to save a few bucks here & there while still having a wonderful overall experience.

THIS. I try to get the best bargains everywhere, everyplace I go. I'll gladly stay in a small boutique hotel in Paris, even if it has two stars, and be able to return to Europe sooner, than stay at the Ritz. I do chortle to myself when people are describing their Disney trip plans, and all of the expensive "Must Do's" and the need for the most expensive hotels and restaurants. I'd rather eat something cheap and quick and get back to touring! And my less expensive hotel might have fewer amenities, but I'll be back for a return trip more quickly!

THIS. I try to get the best bargains everywhere, everyplace I go. I'll gladly stay in a small boutique hotel in Paris, even if it has two stars, and be able to return to Europe sooner, than stay at the Ritz. I do chortle to myself when people are describing their Disney trip plans, and all of the expensive "Must Do's" and the need for the most expensive hotels and restaurants. I'd rather eat something cheap and quick and get back to touring! And my less expensive hotel might have fewer amenities, but I'll be back for a return trip more quickly!

There is no one way to roll! It may be the heat & humidity or the great snacking options in MCO, but we actually tend to eat far less than at home. Have a few nice, splurge meals, most offsite though for better quality & cheaper prices.

Congrats on getting the all clear! Now you can go and truly enjoy it without something hanging over your head. We can’t wait for our trip in April.

27 days to go! I've bought a couple of books to read whilst having downtime at the parks, having a full 7 days really allows me to do everything with no rush, and when the weather is kind, find a quiet spot, read a bit, sip a nice drink and people watch, thats something else I'm really looking forward to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter