Will late checkin affect your room request?

We arrived at 10pm at the CSR on 6/18 and were given a room in Cabanas 9b, just as we had requested in a fax.

A few people have said it's different with the all stars. Why is that?

I always wondered what they did in the back room....

Another related question.... why fax the request ahead? Can I call AS ahead instead? Will faxing be better?

I think I'm convinced to check in first. I actually may not go to AKL to eat that nite.

It is important to remember, also, that one of the reason that CMs check is because some rooms are blocked due to guarantees for medical reasons, etc. As I understand it, those rooms are blocked first and then the others are assigned. If CMs just changed without checking there could be some serious ramifications.

You can always accept a room for one night and then request to be moved the next day. I have seen many times where Disney has gone out of their way to try to make a guest happy.

Originally posted by GoldenOldie

Just to clear this up a little:

Bob is correct. Your rooms are preblocked. Your front desk CM has a very small pool of unassigned rooms available to them when you check in. Most times the front desk CM cannot move you from a preblocked room without permission of the room assigner. The room assigner has rooms that they hold aside. They hold connecting, non smoking, kings, etc. aside so if any unforseen circumstances crop up they can try to accomodate them.

Ever have the front desk CM leave for a few minutes and go into the back room while you were checking in? What the front desk CM is doing is going back to talk to the room assigner to see if they have anything on hold that will accomodate your needs. The room assigner can flip flop rooms that are already blocked so no ones requests are being blown. The front desk CM's have to talk to the room assigner because in many cases there are codes that need to be entered to get the room especially if they are being held by the room assigner.

So your front desk CM is not the good guy or the bad guy in this scenario, just the middle man.

I just wanted to confirm that this is the way the resort room assigning does work. :D Once while checking in at the Grand Floridian, I found that one of my room requests was not granted. Well, I really wanted it, so I asked the CM if it would be possible to grant it. He called someone, and said what I wanted. They called him back a minute or so later with a new room number. I'm also one of those people who thinks that it's best to check in early (before noon if possible), because you have the best chance of getting a room you want. Thankfully, this past stay at the GF, they preassigned my room with all of my requests granted.

Originally posted by dcedwards
It is important to remember, also, that one of the reason that CMs check is because some rooms are blocked due to guarantees for medical reasons, etc. As I understand it, those rooms are blocked first and then the others are assigned. If CMs just changed without checking there could be some serious ramifications.

In the last 18 months my mother has had both heart and back surgery. I told my travel agent that I wanted to fax a request for a room close to Melody Hall, and the agent had no clue what I was talking about, I had to explain the entire process, and then she condescendingly informed me that she would "call" ASMu and make the request. I repeated the reason for faxing (as described here on the Dis), and she repeated that she'd call and confirm that.

Now, this agency has screwed up nearly every aspect of my vacation so far. I know that I'm supposed to let my agent handle the room request, but in this case, I really want to send my own fax to be sure the resort is responsive to my mother's needs. Should I, or might this confuse them?

Lori

I would go ahead and fax a request to the the hotel. You wouldn't even have to tell your TA. I would also call the hotel 3-4 days out and ask to talk to the room assignor. You will be asked why by the front desk or person who answers the phone but I can't see them thinking you are being unreasonable in wanting to double check. We always have a certain thing guaranteed for medical reasons. I always double check with the hotel 3 days prior to make sure it was honored. Have never had a problem in 9 years...they have always been wonderful.

Usually, when we head down to Disney, I just go with the flow and take whatever they give me. We've never been disappointed!!

Anyway, in Nov/Dec, 2000, we were going to be visiting the AllStar AMovies for the first time (we had visited the AllStars that summer and my 5 yr old really wanted to stay with Buzz and Woody). I faxed my request a few days before we left; our plane arrived around 9:00 AM and when we got to the AllStars, I was given Love Bug. At first, I was disappointed, but we headed off to Epcot and arrived back at the hotel late that night. We went to our room, and really wound up loving the the Love Bug section. It was so quiet, and really a short walk back to food court/bus stop!

In Nov/Dec 2001, we were going back for the Christmas decorations, and my little one really wanted to stay with Oddball in 102 Dalmations. I faxed my request in a few days before we left; our plane arrived right after midnight, and even though it was almost 1:00 AM when we arrived at the hotel, my little one got her second wind when she heard the CM say we were in 101 Dalmations!! We really enjoyed our room again; it was very quiet and a short walk to food court/bus stop!

Checking in early did not help us; checking in late - we got our request.

Magic2000, you've given me hope! I'm going in November and also checking in to ASMovies about 1:00am. Now I feel I might have a chance for my requests to be met (also Dalmations, BTW).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter