Will new AP prices have effect on DVC resale prices?

Stevep2002

Earning My Ears
Just looking for thoughts if the new AP prices will move the price per point up or down.

Looking at possible/probable resort increase too, what are your thoughts?

That was my first thought that we could see a slight bump in the number of resales causing the price to slightly decrease. It probably wouldn't happen for a little while though as not everyone is going to immediately list.

I was going to buy a resale contract and now Im not. So if enough people feel the same it could affect prices. But honestly most buyers probably won't care.

But for me it makes more sense to go once a year on a discounted package rate than it does to pay $1500 in maintenance fees plus nearly $4000 for AP each year.

If a bunch of owners have had enough and more contracts are listed then it's possible. Supply/demand does play a part.

If anything, it might drive some people to go direct instead of resale because the "break-even" factor with the number of annual passes needed to be purchase to re-coup the upfront cost of direct purchase is getting smaller and smaller due to the larger and larger price differences.

Although I don't see myself buying direct still, if the math makes sense, I would do it. Resale prices will probably keep on going up in the future with DVC moving the ROFR higher and higher in line with the direct price increase. Of course, anything can happen, we might hit another recession, although I hope not.

Great3

We are DVC owners, have APs and take Disney cruises, but seem to be less attached to Disney lately.

Disney parks - As the kids have grown up and left the nest, we hardly go to the park anymore. We have been on most of the rides (many, many times and the lines seem to be getting longer). My wife and I have decided not to renew our passes. The constant price hikes have made that decision easy.
DVC - We tend to use DVC as a way to get away on weekends. We enjoy spending time at the resorts instead of going to the parks. But since we been to all of the DVC resorts multiple times and what seems to be a push by Disney to charge for what use to be free benefits (TOTWL on July 4th as an example), we are rethinking DVC also.
Disney Cruise - We enjoy going on Disney cruises (8 total), but their itineraries don't seem to change much. Other companies have the different itineraries and are less expensive. We have future cruises with other lines already booked.

Between DVC dues, APs price hikes and high cruise fares, we are reducing our time and money spent with Disney.

As Bill pointed out, resale has no impact on your ability to buy APs, so the only thing that would change the price of it is how people feel about Disney in general, as well as how much disposable income they have. Right now, both seem to be high for many people, so I expect prices will stay then way they are, or even skew a bit higher, in the short term.
I can foresee there being more 75 point direct sales going on, though, as people try to "game" the system, certain they will be able to get a studio anywhere they want with only a couple of months advance notice.

I don't think it will have much of an impact.
We own DVC and go twice a year. With the increased price of an AP and without a DVC discount, the AP would still be cheaper than purchaing 2- 7 day passes. Having the DVC discount makes it even cheaper.
As far as discounted rooms being cheaper than DVC, it all depends on where you want to stay and the type of room you stay in. we purchased about 5 years ago and will break even this year. After that, our cost is the yearly maintanence fees. Good luck getting a 1 BR for a week on that amount of money.

I think the only effect it could possibly have is making smaller resale contracts (75-125 points) more valuable. If you figure a lot of people shoot for around 150-200 points total, there will be people that go for a 75 points direct and the 75-125 resale points to get perks (including ability to buy DVC discounted APs) and save money. I'm just not sure how big that market is.

I agree about the affect of being able to buy Gold AP's and discounted Platinum and Platinum plus could swing some people to direct, especially on smaller contracts. A Gold AP is $699 plus tax, a Platinum non-member $1119. Huge difference especially with a family. The Platinum and Platinum Plus are now $220 off for new.

I think if it does have an effect it will be short lived. Supply of resale contracts might go up for a few months, causing a small dip.

If some resorts were close to the same price direct and resale people might opt for direct a little faster, but no resorts are like that most are like a 50$ difference.

I could see a jump in direct Vero beach sales.
100 bucks a pop - perfectly good 7 month points - high dues, but quickly offset if you have a family of 5.

Other than that, I do not think it will have much effect.

If anything, it might drive some people to go direct instead of resale because the "break-even" factor with the number of annual passes needed to be purchase to re-coup the upfront cost of direct purchase is getting smaller and smaller due to the larger and larger price differences.

Although I don't see myself buying direct still, if the math makes sense, I would do it. Resale prices will probably keep on going up in the future with DVC moving the ROFR higher and higher in line with the direct price increase. Of course, anything can happen, we might hit another recession, although I hope not.

Great3
interesting theory I hadn't considered..

I wonder what impact it would have on direct purchases if Disney started to offer the same type of financial discounts on annual passports to Disneyland, CA. Most prospective west coast buyers will never fully realize the financial incentives of purchasing direct (i.e., discounts on Disney World APs), given that they likely will only visit Disney World, once per year, and wouldn't purchase an annual pass there anyways. Would be interesting to see what would happen to direct sales if Disneyland AP's started to receive the same discounted treatment as Disneyworld APs. IMO disney is loosing a lot of potential direct purchases from west coasters.

Here is how the higher AP prices are impacting my thought process of buying back into DVC (was a member for about 8 years before selling out)

I was thinking about buying 75 points direct to get the DVC A discount AP option. Used to use and AP and for 2 long trips slighly less than 1 year apart and then skip a year. With the smaller savings between 2-10 day and 1 gold annual pass it no longer justifies the extra $4000 up front to buy direct (even with 4 of us it would take 15 years to break even *before if was about 10 years,

I will now just go once every 3 years instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter