Will this end up being the pandemic that cried wolf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am a Covidiot from Michigan - thanks for that. If you knew what was going on here you wuold be appalled. Our Gov has over stepped her reach. People are protesting because she is limiting what you can and cannot purchase during this time. Go to the party store and get your lottery tickets and alcohol but you can't buy a lawn chair or a gallon of paint. You can't buy potting mix but you can buy swim goggles. You can't go to the cemetary and visit a loved ones grave. You can't buy child car seats at Walmart. So much more. It was a peaceful protest despite what you saw on TV. People remained in their cars except those that are extremist groups (MI Militia) and followed her social distance guidelines. We can go out on a boat but it can't have a motor - these things are insane and she is killing her state. So please don't call us Covidiots when you really don't know what is happening here unless you live here.
I’m also from Michigan and have followed the protest situation closely. The misinterpretation of the governor’s order and the spreading of misinformation are a big problem. Some of what you stated is blatantly false. Nowhere in the order does it prohibit the sale of baby items, including car seats. Many of the “non essential” items you mention like paint and lawn items can be purchased from smaller stores; it’s only the big box stores greater than a certain size which are prohibited from selling those items. All of this came as the result of people not following the stay home order and Michigan quickly becoming a hot spot. I’ve never seen so many people upset about not being able to jet ski or garden when it’s not been above 50 degrees in the past 2 weeks anyway. 🙄

For those who were alive remember how we were told 100 million people would be infected from HIV over the next decade by the surgeon general, and that we could get it from drinking from a glass after someone. No one would touch an HIV patient. Princess Diana stunned everyone when she shook hands with an AIDS patient.

Also after 30 years still don't have a vaccine.

Yes HIV is not Sars (not equating the viruses at all) just pointing out things change dramatically and misinformation runs rampant in the early stages of a epidemic/pandemic, even more so with social media and news how it is today. Also interesting Fauci was also on the HIV/AIDS team back then.

Speaking of conspiracy theories. Did anyone catch on Reddit today the "medical protest" to the "freedom protesters" being staged for the MSM? I thought it was pretty interesting. Not going to post the video but do look it up. Be careful what you're reading, people!
They're not staged. There are definitely people who hold these sentiments, they're active online and I'm not surprised a lot of them would show up to protest in person. I don't think it's a *popular* view that they have, but it exists.

For those who were alive remember how we were told 100 million people would be infected from HIV over the next decade by the surgeon general, and that we could get it from drinking from a glass after someone. No one would touch an HIV patient. Princess Diana stunned everyone when she shook hands with an AIDS patient.

Also after 30 years still don't have a vaccine.

Yes HIV is not Sars (not equating the viruses at all) just pointing out things change dramatically and misinformation runs rampant in the early stages of a epidemic/pandemic, even more so with social media and news how it is today. Also interesting Fauci was also on the HIV/AIDS team back then.
What's interesting about it?

You realize that @mousefanmichelle was actually one of the protesters, right? That she protested the governor's decisions? But you can say "the protest was not what you think it was about"?

I'm willing to give her(?) the benefit of the doubt and say she knows what she was protesting against.
Sorry, but she was duped into a protest that was about something totally different.

Nowhere in the order does it prohibit the sale of baby items, including car seats.
There was a Walmart though that did tape off baby items which also included car seats. That was an issue with that particular Walmart as they interpreted the orders. That didn't get corrected until they were blasted on social media when someone went to buy such items and was met with this:

You're right the order didn't prohibit it, but like other places around the U.S. there's been confusion on what could be sold. It's played out in various ways in various states.

250 thousand dead is not a big deal? Because crying wolf means that the threat was not real. This is a very real threat.

But, again, 250k dead is a lot better than 2MM dead.

Kindly indulge me as I quibble. It’s “not as bad“ rather than “a lot better.”

You realize that @mousefanmichelle was actually one of the protesters, right? That she protested the governor's decisions? But you can say "the protest was not what you think it was about"?

I'm willing to give her(?) the benefit of the doubt and say she knows what she was protesting against.

She may know why she was protesting. But that doesn’t mean the things she was protesting actually occurred. Plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

First there are many more things to consider aside from death rate.
But first death rate in part is determined by your ability to handle situation. If things were not closed situation would have been much worse. NY got very lucky but having experienced a little more than the average here I can let you know we were very close to having to many sick people. The steps we took were not steps you want to take and we had many responders deaths young and old.
Second this virus is not the flu in there seems to be real issues with recovery many in severe cases and some in non severe cases. Both young and old are being left with complications and that will be a big factor and an important reason to try to get people vaccinated as opposed to letting this blow through.

Where are the at least 100-250K deaths that were predicted to happen after the stay at home orders.
Those numbers - you understand them as well as I do. The change in the numbers was a result of the effectiveness of the orders. The formulas were based on the effective R0, which was lowered week after week as the orders were implemented.

You are better than that. You are making an argument that is false and you know it.

There was a Walmart though that did tape off baby items which also included car seats. That was an issue with that particular Walmart as they interpreted the orders. That didn't get corrected until they were blasted on social media when someone went to buy such items and was met with this:

View attachment 490217

View attachment 490216

You're right the order didn't prohibit it, but like other places around the U.S. there's been confusion on what could be sold. It's played out in various ways in various states.

Should a plan to contain this virus be dropped because one Walmart manager overreached?

First there are many more things to consider aside from death rate.
But first death rate in part is determined by your ability to handle situation. If things were not closed situation would have been much worse. NY got very lucky but having experienced a little more than the average here I can let you know we were very close to having to many sick people. The steps we took were not steps you want to take and we had many responders deaths young and old.
Second this virus is not the flu in there seems to be real issues with recovery many in severe cases and some in non severe cases. Both young and old are being left with complications and that will be a big factor and an important reason to try to get people vaccinated as opposed to letting this blow through.
Those numbers - you understand them as well as I do. The change in the numbers was a result of the effectiveness of the orders. The formulas were based on the effective R0, which was lowered week after week as the orders were implemented.

You are better than that. You are making an argument that is false and you know it.

If only more people would take even just a couple minutes away from their favorite social media destination to understand these aspects of the situation.

Those numbers were based on the stay at home orders that is 100% fact. They were stated 8 days after most all of the states and larger cites stay at home orders were in place, There were some states that were outliers, but the large cites in those states were already at stay at home by March 24, like Orlando. The 1.2 million to 2 million deaths were with some stay at home orders and social distancing , all were wrong either way.

Should a plan to contain this virus be dropped because one Walmart manager overreached?
Not at all what I said. Please tell where where I said that?

The poster said: "You can't buy child car seats at Walmart." another poster chimed in saying: "Nowhere in the order does it prohibit the sale of baby items, including car seats."

It is true that at a particular Walmart car seats and other baby items were for a time prohibited from being bought, it's also true that the stay at home order did not prohibit those items from being bought.

It's true that this scenario with various businesses unsure what they can and cannot sell, interpretations to the orders have occurred throughout the U.S.

Explain to me how me stating the above aspects equates to even the hint of saying a "plan to contain this virus be dropped because one Walmart manager overreached?"

There's so much must go to extreme in responses to statements that various posters say that it's exhausting clarifying when someone is speaking in a calm matter of fact manner and is given an out of the left field response.

]
Those numbers were based on the stay at home orders that is 100% fact. They were stated 8 days after most all of the states and larger cites stay at home orders were in place, There were some states that were outliers, but the large cites in those states were already at stay at home by March 24, like Orlando. The 1.2 million to 2 million deaths were with some stay at home orders and social distancing , all were wrong either way.
Agree to disagree. My recollection is that the projections were 200k dead when all states were locked down, which was lowered to 100k the following week, then 60k last week (which we will pass by the end of next week, so it is likely low).

The 2MM number was a math calculation, not a model projection.

Here are some other things happening in Michigan for those that think we are idiots for protesting. Regular medical help is limited. You can't see your dr or even get a call back for those that have life threatening issues. All non-emergent care has stopped. YOu basicaly have to get hit by a bus and be on deaths door to get medical attention that is not "covid" related. If you are suspected of having covid you are told to self quarantine and that's it unless you can't breath. Grocery stores have started and jobs have started to dictate that you must wear masks and gloves. Do you know that wearing gloves are useless? Wash your dang hands. People are so scared they are wearing masks in their cars, when they are alone. The Gov has people fearing if they leave their houses they are going to die. Deaths that are not covid related are being recorded as covid no matter what. THe hospitals are empty of regular patients. We never even saw the influx they thought we would. We are a big 8 hospital heatlhcare system. Michigans polulation is 9.9mil and in our healthsystem we've had a hare over 500 deaths so far. Minimal. Hospitals are doing huge layoffs and furloughs and even eliminating postions. We lost 2400 jobs system wide this week. This is because outpatient services have halted. No MRI's, No surgeries, No therapy, NOTHING. Our lovely GOV wants to extend this as long as possible to the detriment of her state. Telling us we can't purchase lawn supplies or paint or even a patio chair is - i don't even have a word for it besides assinine. Its gone so far as if people cut their lawn their neighbors are calling the police on them. REALLY???? This is what she wants in my fair opinion. Sorry - hot button topic for us covidiots from the great state of MI.

You need to read other things besides conspiracy websites or just improve your comprehension skills. You admit you took part in a demonstration that hindered medical personnel from getting to work, you didn't social distance, you put yourself and the public at risk. Shame on you. You deserve the label given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter