Will this end up being the pandemic that cried wolf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is amazing to me just how many of the people negatively impacted by the loss of jobs from this are the same people who do not support universal healthcare or a living wage minimum. I do not wish ill of them through this crisis for their beliefs, but maybe this will help them see the why so many see another path forward.
Not sure how you know what those effected think. But going by what you say it could be because they understand that the things you want aren’t affordable.

Intent has nothing to do with it. If waiting too long to open things up hurts people, they are hurt whether you intended it or not.
No doubt - they are hurting right now. I see both sides of this thing. I feel for everyone being hurt by it. But there are no easy answers, and we don't have to decide to sacrifice either group.

We can find a way forward that does not force us to make that choice.

Intent has nothing to do with it. If waiting too long to open things up hurts people, they are hurt whether you intended it or not.

Personally I'm hoping that as many of the strategies for when and how to open pay off and keep people safe. I'm also hoping that dumb luck also showers down in buckets so that it doesn't go bad for those who go back to work in situations with strategies that have no genuine means of succeeding. I'll say thank you for dumb luck, and please sir, may I have some more?

Opening too soon hurts people too. For some it will hurt them so badly, that they cease to exist.

My financial pain is a drop in the bucket to that, because I value life over my home, my cars, my haircut, my nails, my travel and my bank account.

This situation isn't permanent and if you are listening to someone that tells you it is, then you are watching and listening to the wrong people.

Since this is a medical issue, I think the experts should be planning our future. This means the researchers, Doctors, Nurses, epidemiologists, etc. should be deciding on when to open, rather than politicians or protestors.

In my area, they are proposing steps to re-open. Steps that should be able to protect people and make sense. People could begin to go back to work, but the problem is exacerbated by the group of people that don't care as evidenced by my daughters run to the grocery store yesterday. How do you propose we solve that issue? Every person you encounter has the potential to kill you.

If you were hungry and I gave you a 100 peanuts and told you that 1 of them would kill you. Would you eat them?

Once again, show me where' I'm advocating against stay home? You clearly have zero idea what I am saying, much less so what I think if this is your response to what I've said.

I think a common sense approach needs to be taken to try and achieve the goals of keeping every person it's humanly possible to keep alive and healthy alive and healthy. Common sense needs to be used in an effort to make it possible for as many people who can safely return to the business of earning a living doing so by doing everything humanly possible to make sure they're able to both earn and stay safe. I'm also not eager to blindly and complacently allow anyone who wants to use any aspect of this horror as a means to take real freedoms away from people. When I'm talking about real freedoms I'm not talking about the ability to go to the movies tonight or visit Disney next week or next month. I'm talking about basic constitutional fundamentals of freedom, period.

We don't have the knowledge or resources necessary to achieve all of the objectives right now. That's just a cold, hard, awful to comprehend fact. That means we focus on doing the very best we can with what we have and know, and continue to adapt to what we learn and the resources we acquire along the way to continue to try and do the very best for as many as possible all along the way until we can either eventually eliminate or at least master this virus.

Are you advocating for the freedom to get infected?

And what’s common sense? Telling people to use common sense is pretty crappy advice. It’s not the same for everyone.

Then Atlanta should be fine reopening.
You do know that while it will reduce cases it's unlikely to disappear until we have a vaccine or herd immunity? Bringing the numbers down to a manageable level was always the original goal. Although some want to continue moving the goal post. This is why it's difficult to compromise nowadays.

I mean you people realize that the reason for closing things down is to slow down the spread. The idea that closing things down will just make it disappear, is almost as stupid as thinking maybe we can drink Lysol. If you are no trying to build up some mass immunity to virus that might not have a vaccine just closing down is really not gonna work. Unless a vaccine is 100% in the till you have to open up areas. South Carolina is a good choice with proper precautions of course.. I have an Jonatan Swift idea, why dont we just stay closed until all the old people pass naturarlaly. The bigger problem I see is other states that are not good choices saying I can do that.

Last edited:
You do know that while it will reduce cases it's unlikely to disappear until we have a vaccine or herd immunity? Bringing the numbers down to a manageable level was always the original goal. Although some want to continue moving the goal post. This is why it's difficult to compromise nowadays.

True. But cases and deaths have been on the decline there. And if the weather really impacts it, then it should be fine to reopen. If this really isn’t true, then it shouldn’t reopen. The reality is that when it’s hot people spend more time indoors in the AC, so weather has a less meaningful impact. Now, there is research about UVC lighting killing the virus indoors. But I don’t see people running out to swap all of their lights for UVC lights.

True. But cases and deaths have been on the decline there. And if the weather really impacts it, then it should be fine to reopen. If this really isn’t true, then it shouldn’t reopen. The reality is that when it’s hot people spend more time indoors in the AC, so weather has a less meaningful impact. Now, there is research about UVC lighting killing the virus indoors. But I don’t see people running out to swap all of their lights for UVC lights.
Bleach and alcohol kill the virus pretty quickly. Hygiene goes a long way.

Are you advocating for the freedom to get infected?

And what’s common sense? Telling people to use common sense is pretty crappy advice. It’s not the same for everyone.

No.

While common sense isn't the same for everyone, boiled down to its essence by its very nature it is both common and sensible.

Since you seem to be struggling to understand what I'm struggling to explain to you I'll give it one last shot. Essentially we're currently starring in a really gnarly disaster movie in which humans are trying to evade an out of control wildfire that has the potential to spring up anywhere and take out anyone in its path. We're stuck with the need to keep everyone out of the path of the fire, the direction of which we cannot predict with tremendous accuracy, as well as the need to put out the fire. Many of the means by which we can put out the fire mean completely spoiling increasing amounts of the source of drinking water that everyone needs to survive. We could possibly in some areas choose to fight the fire and attempt to preserve more of the drinking water, but we have to give up amounts of oxygen everyone needs to breathe.

We've got to to use common sense regarding our approach to battling the fire and preserving the water and oxygen sources for as many people as possible. We're not gonna get it all right, that's just impossible. But as we go along we might pick up some clues and skills to achieve the best results in all three areas for the greatest numbers of people possible.

No.

While common sense isn't the same for everyone, boiled down to its essence by its very nature it is both common and sensible.

Since you seem to be struggling to understand what I'm struggling to explain to you I'll give it one last shot. Essentially we're currently starring in a really gnarly disaster movie in which humans are trying to evade an out of control wildfire that has the potential to spring up anywhere and take out anyone in its path. We're stuck with the need to keep everyone out of the path of the fire, the direction of which we cannot predict with tremendous accuracy, as well as the need to put out the fire. Many of the means by which we can put out the fire mean completely spoiling increasing amounts of the source of drinking water that everyone needs to survive. We could possibly in some areas choose to fight the fire and attempt to preserve more of the drinking water, but we have to give up amounts of oxygen everyone needs to breathe.

We've got to to use common sense regarding our approach to battling the fire and preserving the water and oxygen sources for as many people as possible. We're not gonna get it all right, that's just impossible. But as we go along we might pick up some clues and skills to achieve the best results in all three areas for the greatest numbers of people possible.

You evaded my question my now saying what is common sense in this situation. You need to be more specific and less abstract.

A whole lot of high risk people cannot be protected from this thing. They can't all just stay home. That is a tragedy.

I mean you people realize that the reason for closing things down is to slow down the spread. The idea that closing things down will just make it disappear, is almost as stupid as thinking maybe we can drink Lysol. If you are no trying to build up some mass immunity to virus that might not have a vaccine just closing down is really not gonna work. Unless a vaccine is 100% in the till you have to open up areas. South Carolina is a good choice. I have an Jonatan Swift idea, why dont we just stay closed until all the old people pass naturarlaly.
I listened to an interview with a top Swedish scientist lat night. He said the only thing America is doing is delaying the inevitable. People who are susceptible will die regardless. Doing a lock-down to stop this virus is like conducting an air war with no air force. He estimated Sweden will reach herd immunity in less than 3 weeks.

Yup. #1 slow the spread as to not overwhelm hospitals. Then it changed to #2 give us more time to stockpile ventilators. Then is changed to #3 we need more testing, more testing, we can't do it without more tests. Now it's #4 we need an army of contact tracers.

Last edited:
Now, there is research about UVC lighting killing the virus indoors. But I don’t see people running out to swap all of their lights for UVC lights.
For UVC light discussion here's this from my area from yesterday (jump to 1min 35secs in and ends at 3mins in):
https://fox4kc.com/tracking-coronav...-lights-have-been-proven-to-kill-coronavirus/
*Discussion is related to disinfectant.

Listening to the discussion UVC light for home is not the target place to use it for. Ozone usage is discouraged completely for home usage.

UVC lights with respect to COVD-19 (edited corrected number) are already being used in my area for masks for first responders and police officers.

If you want to watch the whole video they do touch on social distancing efforts while engaging in outdoor activity, protests in the area, and the discussion about the potential second wave in the fall/winter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter