Will Universal ever build a Harry Potter themed hotel?

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
Surely, I'm not the only one who has wondered this.

With Disney making plans to build the Star Wars hotel, I wonder if Universal will get on board with a HP themed one?

From what I understand, everything is in her court in regards to what can and can’t be done. I can’t see her personally liking the idea of doing a hotel as it goes off a bit from the films but I may be completely wrong.

I guess we’ll see

From what I understand, unless Loews is involved (and JK Rowling approves), it might not be feasible for Universal to do so.

A bummer cause a Hogwarts hotel done right would pay for itself within months of opening.

Disney is in the hotel business. Universal uses Loews. But if that wasn't an obstacle, I think a Hogwarts hotel would work with the right blend of immersion and technology. The hotel also needs to connect to Hogsmeade village or else it takes you out of it.

The issue they would run into is they already have a hogwarts, so it’d be kinda weird to have two of them. Unless they built it behind the existing one which given the show building that’s there/land limitations I don’t think would be feasible

Surely, I'm not the only one who has wondered this.

With Disney making plans to build the Star Wars hotel, I wonder if Universal will get on board with a HP themed one?

They are so land-locked and over-developed - where do you think they could put it?

From what I understand, everything is in her court in regards to what can and can’t be done. I can’t see her personally liking the idea of doing a hotel as it goes off a bit from the films but I may be completely wrong.

I guess we’ll see
I also heard Rowling is far from generous to Universal Creative. Whereas she asked just to let her know the changes from book to movie she apparently cut down and demanded a lot of stipulations out of Universal. Some of her requests made sense (not having it open during horror nights) and others (apparently a hissy fit over universal reminding her of the ADA act when she requested Hagrids Hut have steps). The source I heard for this sucks since Universals fan forums are just like wdwnt (all speculation no substance) but I have heard a couple times how creative was treated by Rowling enough to bring me to this conclusion

I would finally make a return "hotel" stay there.

They are so land-locked and over-developed - where do you think they could put it?

There's actually a huge employee parking lot to the west of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter:

universal-expansion-parking-lot.jpg

Source: https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...adc62268ae9b19!8m2!3d28.4743207!4d-81.4678193

That lot might be feasible if the hotel didn't have external views. As far as I see, if you want to be completely immersive, eliminating external windows that look out onto Florida would be required.

That said, it would be difficult to put a hotel in that location because the local community would fight it. (My guess is that the land isn't zoned for a hotel.) I used to live just across Vineland Rd from Universal. I was just a little east (to the right) on the image above. Some of the other people in my condo complex were virulently anti-Universal. They fight any and every possible development. For the record, my condo complex existed before theme parks.

I believe any hotel development on the west side of Universal would be fiercely fought.

Disney is in the hotel business. Universal uses Loews. But if that wasn't an obstacle, I think a Hogwarts hotel would work with the right blend of immersion and technology. The hotel also needs to connect to Hogsmeade village or else it takes you out of it.

I spent over a decade working in hospitality. Based on that, I can't imagine Lowes would want to get involved in this type of venture. Having hotel employees playing parts in a fictional world is miles outside of normal. There are far too many financial risks to make this happen.

they don't have to based the hotel on hogwarts they could make it like the leaky claudren the hotel the harry stayed at during this 3rd year

They already have a Leaky Cauldron restaurant in the Diagon Alley area at Studios. It would be very awkward.

I liken a Harry Potter themed hotel anywhere to a Middle Earth themed anything anywhere. However, there's a slightly better chance, single digit percentage points, of a Potter themed hotel. Plus, once JK Rowling or the current Tolkien family members pass, the sentiment could completely change.

This is the only thing that would make me stay at universal

It’s amazing that they aren’t doing this as it would be a massive cash cow and really put universal over the top against Star Wars.

If they do it right.

There are so many things they can still do with Harry Potter and it’s amazing that haven’t yet. I guess it is JK.

How there is not a great hall restaurant is beyond me

Also, Harry Potter is past its prime. If they wanted to catch it at its peak they should have built the hotel at the same time they built the land.
I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily “past it’s prime”. People in my generation are just now starting to start families and are undoubtedly gonna share it with their kids.

Mind you I just started rereading them for the umpteenth time today....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter