Will whipped cream melt?

1GoldenSun

DIS Veteran
I am providing some key lime pies for a work function that I'm not going to be able to attend myself. I'm bringing them in on Thursday and leaving them in the faculty fridge; a colleague will bring them to the function on Friday evening. They will be mostly kept refrigerated except for during transportation and the time they'll sit out for consumption at the function.

I'd like to put whipped cream on the pies but I don't know how long it'll keep. I need to make the pies on Wednesday, so it'd be over 48 hours from the time they're made to the time they're served. I like the taste of homemade whipped cream better but it doesn't look as nice as the canned "squirt" kind that comes out in pretty squiggles. But I know from experience that homemade whipped cream lasts quite a while when kept refrigerated, and I'm afraid the canned kind might melt. I've never tested how long canned whipped cream lasts once it's been squirted from the can.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Which kind should I use?

Canned (or even hand-blended dispensed with a charger) like Reddi-Wip will fall apart within minutes. It's mostly air and will start turning into liquid rather quickly. It's meant to be consumed quickly.

Heavy whipping cream is considerably denser and won't fall apart.

Either will definitely melt or start breaking down. Cool Whip don’t melt but it’s definitely NOT whipped cream. It’s full of junk but would stay pretty.

You can also add Oetker Whipped Cream Stabilizer powder to it to make it hold longer. You can usually find it at more high-end supermarkets, or buy it on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Oetker-Whipped-Cream-Stabilizer/dp/B008EMGCK8

This stuff works great and doesn't change the taste or texture at all. I use it frequently. It will hold for 2 days, easily. Also, use straight HEAVY CREAM, not heavy whipping cream. There is a difference. Heavy cream will hold longer. I buy mine at Trader Joe's. It's in a plastic bottle with a blue label and a pink cap.

I was all set to go the gelatin route but the cream cheese sounds delicious. I don't remember if I used heavy cream or heavy whipping cream last time I made whipped cream, but I had a lot left over and when we finished it off about a week later, I thought the texture might have changed very slightly but it was still "stiff."

I think I'll give the pastry bag a shot to attempt a more decorous look but there's no telling how that'll turn out!

Thanks everyone!

You can also top the pies with Italian meringue instead. It's a common topping for key lime pies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter