Will you cruise if face masks are required on board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For international passengers, this could be a challenge as DCL is following the recommendation of the American CDC, which states that people age 2 and older should wear masks in public. Masks should NOT be worn by children under age 2 or anyone who has trouble breathing.

Well, I guess all of those cruise lines headquartered in Ireland with cruises that sail out of Ireland are free to follow Irish guidelines. And then any Americans onboard will just need to deal with it.

No issue wearing a mask if I cruise and I would suspect to be wearing one to some extent on our cruise next December. This is regardless of the vaccine debate.

I don’t like commercials or tv shows where the people are wearing masks. This is such a crisis why do we have to be reminded of it trying to relax and watch tv. Not sure why they have to keep bringing it up
Maybe to make it seem more "normal" to wear one than not to.

I don’t like commercials or tv shows where the people are wearing masks. This is such a crisis why do we have to be reminded of it trying to relax and watch tv. Not sure why they have to keep bringing it up
Because if they show everyone without masks, people will arrive without them and proceed to squawk about false advertising.

Maybe to make it seem more "normal" to wear one than not to.
Also, maybe because to film them safely, masks are required.

Asking commercial production staff and talent to test, quarantine 10 days, then test again to have an open set is not reasonable based on the rates paid.

We are scheduled for the Fantasy, castaway cay, double dip in November. I would cancel or postpone (for the third time) if they force everyone to wear masks. Hopefully by then, vaccines will be available for everyone, and it will be a requirement to board.

I really don't want to go on a cruise and have to wear a mask. It will mean things are not back to normal (even though we have no idea what the new normal will be) which means I won't be able to fully relax while on vacation. I wear a mask while out and about but it still isn't a pleasant experience...especially when my glasses fog up.

I've passed on WDW for now due to the diminished experience/less magic, so the same would go for DCL. I'm basically on the sidelines right now just seeing how things will go at this point and what all will be affected.

That latest DCL video shows people wearing masks which means DCL will be requiring them for the foreseeable future. As others have mentioned...that means things are not under control. We may have vaccinations but the risk is still there which is why the masks will not be disappearing anytime soon. This will not be a light-switch maneuver where the plexiglass is taken down over night. They will likely require masks even longer just to reassure cruisers even more. We see TSA doing security theater so the same could be with masks. The new DCL mindset could be: Everyone is vaccinated but let's keep masks on and continue to social distance.

I want the regular cruise experience back but that may not happen for quite some time. In the meantime...
I would be fine social distancing, wearing a mask, and not having any shows. I suppose everyone will have a private table during dining now as well. It just comes down to value for me and the experience.

Hoping things come back to normal and soon so the ships can set sail again. Then I'll decide if it's worth it or not. If there are no shows, meet n greets, fireworks or buffets...I would still go but that $5k cruise should be a lot cheaper. I'll gladly sit on my verandah and order room service because I love being at sea but DCL needs to come down on the cost.
Well put.

I would be fine with it because I think we will be wearing masks for a while anyway. However, I won't be cruising for a while - at the earliest 2022.

If you'd asked me this months ago I'd have said absolutely not. But now, after having to wear masks when in shops and in town all the time anyway, I absolutely would. I'm already wearing a mask when I leave the house, so it's not much of a change. I'd rather be wearing a mask walking around the ship than I would my home town. It won't be ideal but I just want to be on that ship now

No offense but wearing a mask while out shopping is nothing compared to wearing one continuously for hours and hours. I have to wear one at my job(I am an online shopper at a grocery store) and it gets harder and harder by the hour. Your face gets all sweaty, your mouth gets dry, my nose actually starts to run for some reason. I know on a cruise you can go back to your room to take it off, but I don't want to be sitting out in the sun with a mask on for a vacation. At least at WDW, you can spread out at the pool so that you can take your mask off. I can't see that happening on the ship.

I know on a cruise you can go back to your room to take it off, but I don't want to be sitting out in the sun with a mask on for a vacation.

Except there is no requirement outlined yet that you will have to keep it on always. When sitting out in the sun the policy could be no masks.

Except there is no requirement outlined yet that you will have to keep it on always. When sitting out in the sun the policy could be no masks.

But we don't know anything yet. The seats by the pool are in an extremely close together space. If they take out enough seats to keep any type of distancing, your going to only have a handful of chairs left to sit in. So their other option would be to have people keep their masks on while sitting there. They actually tried to make that a rule around the pool at Aulani. That did not last long.

But we don't know anything yet.

Correct and you are stating a potential worst case scenario as I stated "Except there is no requirement outlined yet".

The seats by the pool are in an extremely close together space.

Again we don't know and they possible will be spread out and grouped off.

So their other option would be to have people keep their masks

No it is not. They have options of timed seated, plexiglass dividers, additional seat locations added, and who knows what else they have thought of.

No it is not. They have options of timed seated, plexiglass dividers, additional seat locations added, and who knows what else they have thought of.

The whole idea of timed seats at a pool is less than relaxing to me. A big part of cruising is that you can for the most part have flexibility throughout the day. What if the day\time you reserve is pouring rain? Just out of luck for that cruise?

The whole idea of timed seats at a pool is less than relaxing to me. A big part of cruising is that you can for the most part have flexibility throughout the day. What if the day\time you reserve is pouring rain? Just out of luck for that cruise?

Not to mention that in no way are they going to be able to put plexi dividers in between all of the seats. And where exactly are they going to get "additional locations" to put the chairs out, on a cruise ship that already uses all available space?

I am not here to say what the answers are just that stating "won't work" is not exactly accurate because we have no idea what Disney is planning and might not know for months still.

Except it may not be in advance it may simply be you show up and they say a spot will be available in 30 mins. We don't know anything as of yet.

What do you do in the past if all the seats are taken? Same concept except possibly a restriction on how long you can take up a specific space who knows.

In addition possibly increasing pool hours possibly helps as certain groups choose to jump in an empty heated pool early in the morning or over night.

Not to mention that in no way are they going to be able to put plexi dividers in between all of the seats. And where exactly are they going to get "additional locations" to put the chairs out, on a cruise ship that already uses all available space?

Except they do not take up every inch with chairs today. Example is that the upper deck on Fantasy has all chairs on a singular side of the deck. They can alternate chairs on the sides of the deck.

Also you say no way of plexi-dividers because you personally don't see how it works? Half walls, grouped off, who knows?

I am not here to say what the answers are just that stating "won't work" is not exactly accurate because we have no idea what Disney is planning and might not know for months still.

Except it may not be in advance it may simply be you show up and they say a spot will be available in 30 mins. We don't know anything as of yet.

What "works" will depend on each family. Considering how few spots are available by the pools main deck, saying line up might create it's own issue. DCL caters to families with children- and kids LOVE that human soup they call a pool. Parents will want to keep eye contact on their kiddos you can't overlook that. And speaking of pools... they cannot let them go as they currently are-literally packed with kids on top of each other... so back to reservations- if that works for your family or not depends on what you are okay with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter