• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wine and Dine 2015

Glad some interval talk has been brought up. I've been sticking with a 1/1 for as long as I can remember, and any time I try to increase the run time I just can't do it. Any tips for how to get my running time up without completely killing myself? I've tried 2/1 but can never really make it past mile 3.

Something else, I was looking at the Host Resorts from last year - is it true they haven't changed much over the past few years? We were thinking a value, to save some $$ since airfare is going to be a you-know-what, but pricing it out, will only be about a $300 difference to go with Port Orleans. What would some of you do?

I've altered my intervals by as little as five second increments. And then it was just trial and error to see what felt and worked best. I still change either the run or rest or both every now week or two, just to tweak it and try something new.

I think it depends on how much time you are planning to spend at the resort versus in the parks. If you are planning on more resort time, its certainly worth the extra money.

Agree with this. When signing up for Dumbo I logged into Active (first time I have tried it when signing up for a Disney race) and I still had to enter everything. Didn't help at all. :confused3

very interesting to know this for marathon 2016 registration I thought it would be easier to log in with my active account but sounds like im better off not bothering Thanks

I've altered my intervals by as little as five second increments. And then it was just trial and error to see what felt and worked best. I still change either the run or rest or both every now week or two, just to tweak it and try something new.

I think it depends on how much time you are planning to spend at the resort versus in the parks. If you are planning on more resort time, its certainly worth the extra money.

Smart thinking, taking the interval change in small increments. That could definitely be my biggest problem, I add on too much too soon. I'm finally kicking my training into gear again for Tink after DST this weekend so I'll try and give it a go and see if I can't get that run time up. If not for May, then by November. I just need to remember to actually fit some running into my schedule.

And I really wish I knew what we would be doing more of. I haven't been to WDW in any way that matters so I definitely want to see things, but I don't think we were planning to much park time, maybe a little on Thursday when we arrive and then not until after the half. I don't want to do too much before-hand and tire myself out. I know WDW is a different beast the DLR.

I'll have to talk with my friend who is going with me, see what she thinks.

Intervals... i don't have a set interval ratio that I use all of the time; I switch it up depending on what I'm doing, the weather, and how I'm feeling. For example, for speed work, I'll do 8-10 sets of :20 sprint/ :10 recovery. On a short run focusing on building endurance, I might use 2:00/:45. Long training runs I'll typically go with 1:00/:45 because it's an easy one to reverse if I find I'm pushing too hard for an easy run, but might do 1:30/:45 on race day. My best advice is to just try some different ratios and see what feels good for different types of effort!

I am so excited that I was able to register my husband and I for this race during early registration! This is going to be our first half marathon! I've been following this post for the last few days, but I felt compelled to post after I saw everyone talking intervals. Do you plan on doing walk/run intervals during the actual run? Last night I ran for an hour and now I am so sore afterwards! It's hard to imagine actually running 13.1 miles straight!

I am so excited that I was able to register my husband and I for this race during early registration! This is going to be our first half marathon! I've been following this post for the last few days, but I felt compelled to post after I saw everyone talking intervals. Do you plan on doing walk/run intervals during the actual run? Last night I ran for an hour and now I am so sore afterwards! It's hard to imagine actually running 13.1 miles straight!

I always run my events with intervals. Mostly because I don't have the endurance to straight up run for miles and miles on end, but I also feel better physically (during and after).

I always run my events with intervals. Mostly because I don't have the endurance to straight up run for miles and miles on end, but I also feel better physically (during and after).

My plan was to do intervals for this race, so it's good to know that other people follow the same approach! The longest race I've done was 10 miles without taking walking breaks and I felt horrible after. I had to lift my legs into my car!

My goal for this run is to feel good enough at the end to enjoy the after party!:teeth:

I'm liking hearing about people's training strategies and intervals. I think this thread is going to be really helpful for me. I'm still a very beginner runner (I've never been very athletic) and not very well-trained, even though I've done quite a few 5Ks in the last year. Currently I don't run set intervals at all, pretty much just run until I need a break and walk for a couple minutes, and start again. Although I can't be too terrible, as my pace is usually under 11 minutes/mile. But that's for a maximum distance of about 8K (that's the longest race distance I've done). I'm not too sure how my approach will translate to attempting a half marathon!

I'm really looking forward to warmer weather up here so I can get back outside. I haven't been able to run much for the past few months, because I don't have handy access to a treadmill and running outside with sub zero wind chills and snow is not very motivating. Although it's supposed to get up into the 40s hopefully in the next few days, so our snow should get a chance to melt. Yay!

I'm also in the process of looking for a potential 10K to run to submit for a proof of time. There's one I really want to do, but it's in September, and it would be too late for proof of time submission. But there's another one I've got my eye on that's in June.

I don't do time intervals for the full marathon,I pretty much run the first 14 miles or so only stopping for water stops and to take pictures of the mile markers and any characters that seem picture worthy.After those first 14 miles comes the always fun Osceola parkway where I'll walk going up the overpasses.From mile 17 on I might then start running .90 of a mile and walking .10 for 2 miles then I'll go to .80/.20 and so on,by mile 24-25 it might be .60/.40 or .50/.50 depending on how I'm feeling.This is my favorite all time race and I've done it enough to know how to handle each portion of the race.I know I can run the half distance pretty much straight and I like doing it so I can slow down on the second half and enjoy the race.

My plan was to do intervals for this race, so it's good to know that other people follow the same approach! The longest race I've done was 10 miles without taking walking breaks and I felt horrible after. I had to lift my legs into my car!

Intervals are extremely popular at Disney events so you def. will not be alone

My first race was the TOT 10-miler in October and I had a walk-run strategy, but I didn't time it - I would just run a while, then walk a while. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to do this 1/2 marathon! For my training, I will probably do the same thing, but probably run a minute, walk a minute, etc. :)

Currently I don't run set intervals at all, pretty much just run until I need a break and walk for a couple minutes, and start again. Although I can't be too terrible, as my pace is usually under 11 minutes/mile. But that's for a maximum distance of about 8K (that's the longest race distance I've done). I'm not too sure how my approach will translate to attempting a half marathon!.

It will translate perfectly if you train to the full distance, which you should do for the half. That said, if you wait until you are tired to take a walk break, your run interval is already too long. Your legs will take longer to recover, and by the end of the race your legs will be far more spent than if you had run the proper intervals.

I have been running for 30 years and I can easily run an entire marathon without a walk interval, but I choose not to do so. I actually have better finish times if I walk for one minute every two miles. This is perfect as most races put their water stops every two miles and I finish my races faster and with strong legs. But if I wait until my legs begin to tire before taking my first walk break, it doesn't help at all. I finish with a poor time and tired.

I love all of the advice we're getting on here! It is definitely motivating me to get to the gym tomorrow!

DH and I are running this as our first 1/2. In the fall, before the weather got unbearable I was running a very comfortable 5 miles straight. But due to this crappy winter I've been stuck on the treadmill and haven't really done more than about 30 minutes.
I'm hoping to run most of the 1/2, stopping to walk for a couple of water breaks.
I found a local 10k the beginning of May. If I do between a 10:30-11:00/mile will that give me a decent corral placement? That is the pace I'm aiming for in the 1/2.

I'm having a hard time finding "certified" 10Ks around here as well, and I've pretty much written off anything after June here in Texas because I don't feel like running on the surface of the sun.

That's a whole other issue, the matter of them being certified. I found a 15K in Birmingham, which is a hike, but could work. The tagline though is that it's the toughest race because of the elevation and 2mile climb. Um, not sure about that as I HATE hills. (My regular training route is perfect/equal training for Disney routes, but not a 2 mile climb!)

I just keep picturing the bottleneck of people in the second to last corral for the 10K. Until we got past the overpass I really couldn't even run which frustrated me to no end!

Smart thinking, taking the interval change in small increments. That could definitely be my biggest problem, I add on too much too soon. I'm finally kicking my training into gear again for Tink after DST this weekend so I'll try and give it a go and see if I can't get that run time up. If not for May, then by November. I just need to remember to actually fit some running into my schedule.

And I really wish I knew what we would be doing more of. I haven't been to WDW in any way that matters so I definitely want to see things, but I don't think we were planning to much park time, maybe a little on Thursday when we arrive and then not until after the half. I don't want to do too much before-hand and tire myself out. I know WDW is a different beast the DLR.

For Princess, which I didn't run the half, only the 5 and 10K, I was in the parks all day after the races and a shower. The 5K was frigidly cold. I could definitely feel how tired my legs were even though I'd done those distances back to back at home due to all the extra walking in the parks. Try to plan park days after the race so they don't impact your race, but you still have time to see them.

I will do run/walk intervals. My husband could probably do the whole 13.1 running, but has committed to running our first halves together. But both of us want to finish upright and ready to enjoy the parks for a few days before heading home.

It will translate perfectly if you train to the full distance, which you should do for the half. That said, if you wait until you are tired to take a walk break, your run interval is already too long. Your legs will take longer to recover, and by the end of the race your legs will be far more spent than if you had run the proper intervals.

I have been running for 30 years and I can easily run an entire marathon without a walk interval, but I choose not to do so. I actually have better finish times if I walk for one minute every two miles. This is perfect as most races put their water stops every two miles and I finish my races faster and with strong legs. But if I wait until my legs begin to tire before taking my first walk break, it doesn't help at all. I finish with a poor time and tired.
That's good advice, thanks! And I definitely plan to up my distance if I sign up for the half. No way would I feel comfortable participating in a half marathon if I didn't! Especially a Disney half marathon, which is not something I'll be able to do frequently, so I definitely want to feel confident that I'll be able to finish.

Maybe I missed this on the thread but for registration on the 17th, do you go to the runDisney website to register? Someone mentioned to me that they thought you went to active.com. I've asked this on the runDisney Facebook page but nobody will respond to my post there. It seems the biggest competition isn't during the race, it's getting signed up for it! I've waited years for it to work out that I could run one of the Disney races and, more specifically the Wine & Dine Half. I've been anxious for the past month about getting registered before it fills up.

For Princess, which I didn't run the half, only the 5 and 10K, I was in the parks all day after the races and a shower. The 5K was frigidly cold. I could definitely feel how tired my legs were even though I'd done those distances back to back at home due to all the extra walking in the parks. Try to plan park days after the race so they don't impact your race, but you still have time to see them.

That's usually my course of action for all the events I've done at Disneyland.

Maybe I missed this on the thread but for registration on the 17th, do you go to the runDisney website to register? Someone mentioned to me that they thought you went to active.com. I've asked this on the runDisney Facebook page but nobody will respond to my post there. It seems the biggest competition isn't during the race, it's getting signed up for it! I've waited years for it to work out that I could run one of the Disney races and, more specifically the Wine & Dine Half. I've been anxious for the past month about getting registered before it fills up.

I've always used linked through the runDisney website.

WDW is MOST DEFINITELY a different beast. I guess it depends on how much time you're spending at WDW - if it's short, you'll be able to knock out most of the worthwhile parts of EPCOT at the post-party (Soarin', Test Track, Spaceship Earth, World Showcase). If you want to save on tickets, the next night is Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at MK - you can buy a ticket to that and get in from 4 p.m. until Midnight. Now, you can't do FP+, but I'm going into this trip not worrying about that. I also believe you can spend a full day split between DHS and AK if you're willing to wait in a few lines and do single rider. At the minimum, you'll get a taste of everything.

WDW is MOST DEFINITELY a different beast. I guess it depends on how much time you're spending at WDW - if it's short, you'll be able to knock out most of the worthwhile parts of EPCOT at the post-party (Soarin', Test Track, Spaceship Earth, World Showcase). If you want to save on tickets, the next night is Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party at MK - you can buy a ticket to that and get in from 4 p.m. until Midnight. Now, you can't do FP+, but I'm going into this trip not worrying about that. I also believe you can spend a full day split between DHS and AK if you're willing to wait in a few lines and do single rider. At the minimum, you'll get a taste of everything.

I really appreciate everyones input. This thread will really be a lifesaver for me going forward, I can tell.

Not going to lie though, I'm not worrying about how much of the Parks I see. I'm planning on going back in January 2017 for my first full and going with family/making a longer trip out of it. I think right now we've only talked about Epcot and MK for sure. Probably not going to worry about the Christmas Party, but we'll have to talk about that. Thankfully neither of us have to worry about park tickets, so I'm not sure I want to pay to go to the party. But then again, it's not like I'll have very many opportunities going forward.

Talking with my running buddy for this trip and I think we came to our decision on where to stay.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter