Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon weekend 2021

If you can't find a discounted or free ticket I would highly recommend the party even at full price. The caveat being that you make the rest of the day a non-park day. When I did the W&D in 2018 my wife paid full price for the ticket and one of the parties we were traveling with didn't have any runners and the adults all paid full price for their tickets. Everyone thought it was totally worth it because the crowds were low, a lot was opened, and it made for a great night. It replaced what would have been a park day so it wasn't in addition to other park admission.

Just throwing that out there as a data point.

Yeah, I’ve done W&D every year and I’ve told him all about how great the party is, but he’s still not interested in going at full price. If it doesn’t work out, he’s fine just staying at the house, but I figured I’d give it a shot.

Anyone think we might get some courses soon?
Probably another week or so. They usually come out 2-3 weeks before hand. I am anticipating some changes from the last time I ran this race as the construction around Epcot that was underway has finished and new construction has started up.

A few questions for those of you who have done a few of these races. What time do you guys usually go to bed the night before? And what do you eat before the races?

A few questions for those of you who have done a few of these races. What time do you guys usually go to bed the night before? And what do you eat before the races?
The past few 10Ks we’ve had lights out and sleep timer on by 9….dinner pre race the past few years has been blaze at springs

edit to add that race morning while getting ready we will normally bring bagels and single serve cups of Jiff and have a half a bagel with PB and water or sometimes poweraid fro me

Last edited:

Previously with the 5:30 start, I would try to be in bed by 9:00, but I'll probably back it up to 8:30 with the earlier start.

Before the 5K and 10K I usually don't eat anything (maybe an applesauce pack and some coffee if I really need it to get going). Before the half I'll drink a Gatorade and eat a protein bar.

After the races I normally pick up a quick service breakfast, then head back to bed for a couple of hours before hitting the parks.

2018 Dopey Challenge Trip Report, Race Recap, and Coaching Recap

In 2018, the races started at 5:30am.
Night before 5k in bed at 7:30pm.
Night before 10k in bed at 7:30pm.
Night before HM in bed at 6:50pm.
Night before M in bed at 6:00pm.

I eat a PB sandwich/bagel and banana. Something tried and true in training. I eat it approximately 2 hours before the last time I reasonably believe I'll have access to a porta. It's also the last time I'll drink anything pre-race until within 15 min of the start. So for a 5:30am start, I was generally eating breakfast at 2:30-2:45am with the assumption the last porta stop would be at 4:30-4:45am. This was my 2018 timing run-down:

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 8.33.03 AM.png

2:45am wake-up time makes me sad. I'm going to have to bring benedryl with me in order to get to sleep.

The goal is in bed with lights out at 9, although it doesn't always work that way. (Especially the one time I stayed at WL and the EWP started at 9:30!) To get it to work that way, I need to put all screens away by 8 and spend an hour reading (print) to tire me out. Also, it can help to get up early that day to help drive evening fatigue.

As for eating, I do plain instant oatmeal and maybe a banana before I leave the room (which can be 3 hours before race start). And I try to stay hydrated. I will stop drinking close to race start time and will fit in generally 2 porta potty stops prior to the race.

2018 Dopey Challenge Trip Report, Race Recap, and Coaching Recap

In 2018, the races started at 5:30am.
Night before 5k in bed at 7:30pm.
Night before 10k in bed at 7:30pm.
Night before HM in bed at 6:50pm.
Night before M in bed at 6:00pm.

I eat a PB sandwich/bagel and banana. Something tried and true in training. I eat it approximately 2 hours before the last time I reasonably believe I'll have access to a porta. It's also the last time I'll drink anything pre-race until within 15 min of the start. So for a 5:30am start, I was generally eating breakfast at 2:30-2:45am with the assumption the last porta stop would be at 4:30-4:45am. This was my 2018 timing run-down:

View attachment 611204
As an excel loving person, this is my love language! Although not looking forward to waking up so early!

Ok, why does the potion bottle on the Half medal in that blog post look like sometimes it’s full and sometimes it’s not?? Could it be, like, glitter?! And it moves around in the bottle?? Lol that would be so cool!

Ok, why does the potion bottle on the Half medal in that blog post look like sometimes it’s full and sometimes it’s not?? Could it be, like, glitter?! And it moves around in the bottle?? Lol that would be so cool!
I’m pretty sure that’s what it is, yeah

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter