Wine'in and Dine'in Solo at Kidani, October 2010: Almost 2 Months to Go!

NeverlandClub23

AKV & OKW DVC Member
Welcome to my first ever pre-trip report! :goodvibesThis post will be about who I am and how this trip came about and what I’ve planned so far and what I have left to plan/do.

WARNING: I have the tendency to go off-topic and/or talk a lot so if any of my paragraphs get a little long winded feel free to skip it. I’m sure you’re not missing much. You’ve been warned.

Where: Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani
When: September 30-October 5th, 2010
Why: To run the Wine and Dine half marathon (and, of course, partake in Disney fun!)
Who:

37357_402872164021_519234021_4376965_5824441_n.jpg

(although people say that this doesn't even look like me but it's the only race photo I have so far)

Me: Kimberly or Kim. Doesn’t matter to me which. I am 28 and love WDW and everything that Walt Disney stood for. I work as a paralegal at an Estate Planning/Estate Administration law firm in Williamsburg, VA and I love to plan everything to death. I blame my Mom who, on our very first trip to WDW, filled out an entire 70 page ruled notebook (front and back of every page) of every single thing we would do, complete with restroom breaks. I love The Office, Real Housewives of Orange County, and my adorable two year old Miniature Pinscher, Meeko. I’ve been to Disney multiple times since I was 11 and every trip is better than the last.

Little Meeko!
Meeko3.jpg

How this trip came about: Well, back in November 2008 my parents, and I went to WDW for 8 days. It was great but, honestly, I was burned out:upsidedow. We had just been going to WDW so much and it felt like there wasn’t even any anticipation hardly for the next trip. There were a few times that I felt like I was just ready to go home by the end. I know it’s so sad. So I declared no more Disney for 3 years! I was completely fine with it…until…I started reading other people’s TR’s on here and listened to ride soundtracks on www.d-cot.com :(.

So, I found out that the inaugural Wine and Dine half marathon was going to be in October at WDW. I was intrigued as I have only done one half marathon (last November) and to run in WDW is my dream. THEN I find out that the race starts at 10 p.m. and is a night race through some of the parks. My absolute favorite time to be at any of the parks is at night so I was instantly sold. I started planning a solo long weekend trip roughly and only in my head. I wasn’t sure how long I wanted to stay but I knew I still had a lot of vacation to use at work (we get 2 weeks paid vacation every year and then a paid 4 day weekend every month so I feel like I get a vacation every month and I still have all of this time to use or lose it at the end of the year). I thought about Thursday after work until Sunday but honestly that didn’t leave a whole lot of time to relax and I H-A-T-E the Orlando airport on Sunday’s (plus I didn’t want to be up until 3 a.m. running the half only to get up the next morning, pack, and leave). So I thought about Thursday to Monday and then thought, what the heck, take off Thursday and come home on Tuesday (cheaper flights that way, right? :rolleyes1Nevermind the additional hotel and food costs ;)).

I started playing with the idea of staying at the Poly as it’s a host resort for the race (host resort means that there will be transportation to/from the Expo [where you sign in and pick up your packet and they have different vendors and what-not] and to/from the race). Then after looking at the rates (figuring there would be a 35-40% room discount like we’ve gotten the last handful of trips) I didn’t really feel like still spending almost $300 a night (there are 3 other host resorts for this race: Beach Club, Port Orleans French Quarter, and, I believe, All Star Sports).

I wasn’t really interested in staying at any of the other resorts so I thought about trying out renting points through a DVC member and renting a car (I didn’t want to be looking for a taxi after running 13.1 miles at 3 a.m. in the morning much less riding a taxi that late at night:scared1:). I settled on Animal Kingdom Lodge as:

a) I knew my family would never want to stay there (I’m not really sure why they don’t like Animal Kingdom Lodge) for future trips to WDW (like next December which will be when the 3 years of no Disney ends ;))

b) I’d always wanted to stay there (I’d originally thought I wanted to stay at all WDW resorts one day but then I realized that not all of the resorts appeal to me and it would seem silly to pay money (sometimes a lot!) to stay somewhere I wasn’t crazy about in the first place)

c)I knew I wouldn’t be spending THAT much time at MK and the few times I’ve taken a bus from AKL to MK I felt like I could’ve made it back to VA in the same amount of time (ok, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration). Plus the past couple of trips I’ve really gotten into driving to the parks. I get to the park so late that I have to fight no one to get in, usually get a great spot because the people that leave early in the afternoon, there’s always an empty tram waiting for me, and because I'm there on EMH nights the parking lot is a practical ghost town while the bus lines are packed at park close and I enjoy a quiet, A/C ride back to the resort.

I had read so many TR’s where people had been successfully renting points but, to be honest, I was scared. Paying someone directly that I didn’t even know? What if they took my money, made the reservation, and then cancelled on me? I thoroughly read, and re-read, the tips about renting points on the DVC renting forum here on the DIS. That made me feel a little bit more comfortable so I looked through the threads of people renting points. It seemed like everyone was looking to rent points! :headache: Finally I found someone and after many emails and conversations, reference checking, and following the guidelines that renters should follow, I feel 100% confident. I needed 81 points to stay at a Savannah View studio at Kidani for 5 nights, at $10 a point it averages out to $162 a night. Not bad!

So hotel done. Now I needed a flight! I looked at Air Tran which flies out of Newport News airport (about 5 minutes from my house) and they had a roundtrip flight for $190 including taxes. I didn’t want to book until I got to work the next day as my laptop isn’t connected to a printer. I fell asleep thinking about how to arrange 6 days worth of clothes, 5 bathing suits, running gear, hygiene products, probably 8 pairs of shoes, a raincoat, a formal dress, my snowboarding jacket, pj’s, UGG boots, my prom dress, etc. into a carry on (also a slight exaggeration, I do tend to pack for every occasion that might come up and even ones that would never, ever come up). The next morning I pull up the exact same flight at work and it’s now $230! :mad: Ugh. So I start checking other carriers and found a non-stop Southwest flight that gets into Orlando at 9 a.m. on Thursday and leaves at 4 p.m. on Tuesday for about $225. Perfect! Plus, I can now pack all of my unnecessary crap into a full size suitcase (which now also became an extended list of different varieties of bagels and jellies for our breakfasts in the morning [because I need 32 bagels for a 6 day trip]) ‘cause Southwest doesn’t charge for checked luggage. I also just found out that Southwest is now accepted at the RAC desk at the resorts so I can let them handle taking my luggage back and not have to wait in the huge check in line at the airport. The only downside is that this airport (Norfolk, VA) is 20 minutes away (an hour in work traffic) so I had to butter up my parents to drop me off and pick me up (which is easy to do when you promise to return with multiple cinnamon rolls from the MK bakery). Flight done!

Now dining. Our very first trip to WDW I was 11. My entire life my parents have been very frugal and all of our vacations were going camping someplace. And eating in the camper. I can probably count on both hands the amount of times we had gone out to eat up until that point (and that includes fast food). I’m certainly not complaining, I have some of the greatest memories of my life from those trips and I’m probably a lot healthier for it. My parents saved for 2 years for our first trip (a supposed “once in a lifetime” trip, and by that I mean they thought we would go once and never again) and we stayed at the Poly and had a package deal that included dining. We ate at 3 TS places a day, appetizer, entrée, dessert, and drink at each meal. I had never been around so much food in my life!! :cloud9: Well, that trip definitely spoiled us and we have been doing two TS meals a day every trip since (paying OOP though as we save more money doing it this way and getting a room only discount).

That being said I'm not really sure how I'm doing dining yet. I have ADR's for Ohana's, Cali Grill, and Coral Reef but I think I'm more excited about trying out all of the counter service restaurants I never get to like Tangierine (sp?) Cafe. At this point I'm pretty sure I'm going to do mostly counter service/snacking and partaking in the F&WF snacks and joining other DIS runners for dinner/DIS meet at Boma on Friday night.

I want to stop here and talk about tickets. I'm probably going to purchase a 3 day runner's discount pass and go to the parks Sat, Sun, and Monday. I have an old ticket with one day left and 9 extras so I may go to a water park Thurs or Fri but I'm thinking I'll just save the day for my trip next December.

To register for the Wine and Dine half is $135, this price includes a bunch of random little things (like a medal [you have to finish and not be sweeped though], tech T-shirt [fancy name for one of those moisture wicking T-shirts], and entry to the after race party with a free “taste” and “sip” [I’m imagining Food and Wine Festival-ish kiosks with samplings of food and drink-all of which I’m dying for at 3 a.m. after running 13.1 miles :rolleyes:]. You also are able to purchase discount tickets to WDW (and tickets for friends/family to get into the "after party" which starts at the finish line at 10:30 p.m. and goes until 3 a.m., I believe). The only problem is I’m not sure how much of a discount right now. I haven’t registered for the race yet as I’m waiting until after the 10k I’m running in a couple of weeks. If you submit your time when you register you don’t have to start at the back of the pack (you can also submit your time when you pick up your packet at the Expo but it’s really just one less thing I want to be bothered with remembering on that day). Starting at the back of the pack is no good especially with the big races that Disney puts on. I can’t imagine having to navigate through thousands of people just to get to my proper pace. Anyways, once you register you get a password and can go online to purchase discount tickets. From what I hear they’re pretty good deals.

Thursday:
Get to Orlando about 9-ish. Check in at hotel and eat at Mara at AKL or go to DTD. Relax, nap, hang out at the pool, etc. Maybe go to Typhoon Lagoon. Eat dinner at the Poly CS place and watch Electrical Light Parade and fireworks from the beach.

Friday:
Sleep in and eat lunch wherever. Go to Expo and get packet and check things out. Go to Boma for DIS meet! Then maybe go oto MNSSHP? Or maybe just go to the pool? Not sure yet.

Saturday:
This day is still kind of up in the air. Probably go to Epcot and relax, take in some of the shows, etc. Run the half (in hopefully a less than 10 minute mile) and go back and take a long cold shower (the best thing for after long runs, it decreases soreness so much the next day [even more so if you can stand to soak in a tub filled with cool/cold water]).

Sunday:
Sleep in! Lunch at Flame Tree BBQ in AK (I don’t think I would care if they sold the worst food ever here, I just LOVE the seating areas). Watch the Nemo show (never seen it and I hear it's fabulous) and go on a few rides (one of my favorite rides at WDW is Dinosaur!). Leave around 4 and go to Epcot for dinner at Tangeriene Cafe. Go to MGM for EMH night so hopefully I’ll be able to finally ride TSM (last time we were able was November of 2008 and at 10:30 on an EMH night the wait was 90 minutes so we passed on it) and go on my favorites (Tower of Terror and Muppetvision 3-D).

Monday:
Go to Epcot for the F&WF. Go wherever I feel like for lunch and get on some rides. Eat dinner around WS and then go to MK. MK’s EMH are this night until 1:30 a.m. (I don’t think I’ll make it that late but I’ll have fun trying! :banana:)

Tuesday:
SLEEP IN! Pack, check out, and get lunch wherever I feel like it. Goodbye Disney! :sad1:

So that’s it! I’ll post more after I’m able to make actual ADR’s this weekend and as things come up for me to plan (or to talk about). Thanks for reading along!!

I figured a good second post would be how I'm saving and paying for this trip. I'm all about saving a dollar! And because I learned about most of these things because of the DIS I thought I would give back (don't say I never gave you anything ;)):

1. I looked around at different banks and what-not for the best interest rates. Turns out that my credit union I'm already a member of offers a savings account that has no fees and no minimums and pays 5% up to a $5,000 balance. So check out your banks/credit unions!

2. I wanted to open up a second little checking account at a bank closer to where I work as I was tired of driving 15-20 minutes in the opposite direction just to get cash the few times a year I even get out cash. I googled all of the banks around me with the words "promo code". Turns out that the bank on the corner (BB&T) is(was) offering $100 for opening a checking account and making 3 free online bill payments within 60 days. A free $100 towards the trip!

3. I just found out today that Kroger is offering a $5 coupon on future orders if you buy a $45 multi-pack of Disney gift cards (and others like Starbucks). I went after work and picked up a pack, got the coupon and went back through and bought another pack using the $5 off coupon (you can only use one coupon per day). This ends April 3rd so I plan on doing it every day until then and use the gift cards to pay off the dining plan when we get there and saving about $25 in the process :goodvibes.

4. I ChaCha while I watch TV. ChaCha is an answering service (people text in their question and it goes to your computer and you're paid to answer it). You don't make much but for the hour or so I spend doing it a day I make an easy $100 a month. :thumbsup2

5. There's a thing called "Amazon Turk" (google it). People send in things they want to pay other people to do (data entry type of stuff). You can see how much you would get paid for each one before you accept it. I've only been doing this for about a week and have made about $15 ($7 from someone who had recorded a lecture at college and wanted someone to type it all out).

6. I had a bunch of random gold pieces laying around from ex-boyfriends that I sent into US gold buyers and got a check for $300.

7. I use my Disney VISA for EVERYTHING and get 1% back on purchases. I have almost 100 Disney dollars but I don't know if I'm going to use them for this trip or our trip next December.

8. I use a cash back website for all of my online shopping and occasionally do a survey. I have about $75 in there right now (which I can cash out for a Disney gift card). I don't know if I can say the name of the site as every time I have on other posts it gets deleted.

So that's how I've been saving so far. Hope that helps someone! If not, that's just 8 minutes of your life you'll never get back. Sorry :upsidedow.

I'm usually pretty good at my budget for any and all vacations. I price out everything and make sure I'm getting the best deals possible. I think I do all of this so that I can justify all of the random things I "need" to buy before the trip. Like...

My camera. I very much strongly dislike my camera. I bought it about 2 years ago (it's a Canon Powershot, the little silver one). I'm sure it could take great pictures if I read all about it and practiced. That's not my issue with it as I realize photo's are only as good as the person working the camera. This camera, however, EATS batteries like I have never seen!! The camera is not rechargeable either. On every trip I have taken since buying it I end up only getting about 10 pictures. In fact last trip we were at AK and I turned on my camera to find it dead. I purchased batteries from a kiosk there ($$$) and I got about 20 pictures before it died a couple of hours later :confused3. I've tried taking the batteries out when I'm not using it and always turn it off right after the picture is taken. I don't get it. I was tired of buying batteries so I bought some of the rechargeable kind. My camera thought those were appetizers! So my camera doesn't get taken out much, which is unfortunate as I love to take pictures.

I had researched the camera some before I bought it (in fact it was the number one compact digital camera at the time according to Consumer Reports), however I didn't read any 'personal' reviews on it. AFTER I had the camera I was reading on Amazon the reviews and it seems very common.

This whole past week I have spent many hours researching cameras. I wanted something I could plug in and charge, that holds a charge, and something that with practice, I could take great photo's with (and wasn't crazy expensive). I ended up ordering a Panasonic Lumix FZ35 from Amazon for $303 with free shipping. I can't wait to get it, practice some, and show you guys some great photo's (hopefully, anyways ;) ) from my next trip! This is the camera:

41Q9XAL5whL._SS400_.jpg

I also am in the process of looking for clothes for vacation ('cause you can never have too many! ;) ) and especially some more running clothes (I tend to sweat like crazy and most of my clothes are for running indoors or cooler weather). I'm especially interested in the running skirts like this:

rs-red%20plaid.jpg

(it's made out of moisture wicking material and has moisture wicking shorts underneath)

Speaking of running, I am a beginner runner. I run about a 12 minute mile, so I'm not fast by any means. But, honestly, if you want to be a runner (jogger, walker, anything!) you can. Take it slowly and day by day you will start to notice changes. I could barely run 8-10 minutes when I first started without feeling like I was going to need a trip to the E.R. I read the book Marathoning for Mortals (recommended from the W.I.S.H. boards here on the DIS) and it is a really great, getting started book! It's not always easy (and sometimes it is quite a struggle) but I promise you will have such a sense of success if you ever finish a 5k, 10k, whatever, even if you come in last place!

So, I will continue to look for more unnecessary necessities and update on Saturday when I find out what ADR's I can get! Until next time! :dance3:

Got my ADR's!! :banana::banana::wizard:

Whew! Nothing quite as pleasurable as waking up at 5:30 a.m. on a Saturday :rolleyes:. Does anyone else get a little adrenaline rush at 1 minute until you can go online (or call)? I do! My heart was racing! :laughing:I first tried for the two dinners at 'Ohana's as I knew those would be the hardest to get. I was able to snag 7:15 p.m. for September 30th and 6:25 p.m. on October 4th (I was trying for 6:30 for both so not bad!). I went back and checked an hour later and the only thing available on September 30th was at 9 p.m. :eek:.

Then I went next for Coral Reef as I needed that to be as close to the time as I needed as we're trying to get to Fantasmic that night. I wanted 5 p.m. and got 5:15 p.m. :thumbsup2

The last one was California Grill on October 1st. I wanted something between 5-5:30 as I wanted to be out of there around 7 p.m. for MNSSHP and you never know how long dinner will take here (and I certainly don't want to rush it, meals are one of the things I enjoy most at Disney!). I was only able to get 5:50 p.m. which still is great and we'll just get to the party when we get there :).

I'm glad that's over with! Now I'm off to get a 5 mile run in today. It's a GORGEOUS day here in VA! I'm also going to Kroger to pick up another pack of Disney gift cards since today is the last day of their $5 off coupon promo. Have a wonderful day/weekend and a happy Easter!

Yesterday I ran a local 10k and it was the most gorgeous day ever! :lovestruc I could not have asked for a better running day. It was mid-upper 50's, sun was shining, and I felt great! It was mainly a trail run and it was so beautiful as everything is starting to bloom and through much of the race I was alone (it seemed like a lot of the people I was with dropped off at mile 2).

I have been doing just about all of my training on the treadmill (as when I can actually do any training it's always dark outside and I don't do running in dark alone :cool2:). I've been training at a 2 percent incline (I heard once that 'flat' ground is like walking between a 1-1.5% incline on the treadmill) and doing about a 12-13 minute mile. I felt much more prepared for this 10k than I did for the half last November. I had no nerves (well, I didn't really have time to as I got to the back of the pack just as the horn went off!).

I wasn't really sure how I was going to do. I do my best to control my competitiveness (especially right at the beginning when you're running in a big group) as I don't want to burn out. I wasn't wearing a watch or anything but was running behind two women for awhile and when we got to mile 2 I heard one say to the other "20 minutes". I couldn't believe I'd just done TWO 10 minute miles! They started walking and then I was alone so I was never sure about the time or anything the rest of the race. My goal was just not to walk.

Like I said, the woods were gorgeous! I ran through a swampy area full of birds, deep wooded areas filled with squirrels running around and spring peepers making all sorts of noise, and fresh, sharp, clean, woodsy breezes. Ahhhh! This is so much better than the treadmill!

I felt amazing until about mile 5. Even then I still felt great just my toes were starting to hurt :confused3. Also, I had received my running skirt before the race and decided to wear it. I got lots of compliments from other runners but about halfway through the race I felt behind me and my skirt had come up to the bottom of my butt! :laughing: A local boy scout troop was handing out water at the stops so I'm sure I'd given them a show up until then (even though the show was just of the compression shorts underneath but really they're not any more concealing). I knew the finish line was approaching and it felt like I had just started.

I started to catch up to someone at the end. The cutest little girl who was probably 7-8 years old. She was running so hard and even though I wanted to sprint to the finish I thought "What's the point?" I achieved my goal and a few extra seconds on my time wouldn't do anything for me. So I stayed behind her and it made me smile as ALL of these people were cheering for her as we crossed the finish and she was smiling so big. It really touched my heart.

So I crossed at almost exactly 1:06. Wow!! I couldn't believe it! I was running at a little over a 10 minute mile! I was so proud of myself! My parents had come to watch/support (they're so great) and I felt like I had really impressed them too (no one in my family is very athletic other than our daily walking). My Mom was telling me that the guy who won was 50-60 years old and ran it in 38 minutes. Wow! That's so impressive! I love it when things like that happen as I can tell my parents think a lot of the time "I can't do X because I'm X years old" and I think seeing things like this inspire them (or I'd like to think so in my mind ;) ).

Anyways, I checked the results this morning and 165 people entered the race, 145 finished, and I placed 112 :).

I registered for the Wine and Dine half marathon this morning, as well, now that I have my time. I'm even more excited now because I felt so great running (and even felt like I could've gone another couple of miles) and I know I will be so prepared and ready for the half!

Registration online is simple but there are no refunds. It's $135 (plus a $10 "processing fee" :rolleyes:) to register :-)scared1:) which includes the following:

* Race Registration
* Champion® Tech Shirt
* Goody bag
* Personalized Bib
* ChronoTrack D-tag timed race
* Personalized results website
* Inaugural Half Marathon Finisher medal
* Access to the exclusive after hours Epcot International Food & Wine Festival
* (1) "Taste" and (1) "Sip" at the Finish Line Party

I also made the impulse buy of the Wine and Dine half marathon pin for $10.65 :rolleyes: Why? I don't know. I had a lanyard once with a bunch of pins but then never wanted to wear it into the park or trade/buy any more pins as I liked all of the ones I had and then (because I'm so vain) never wanted to wear the lanyard 'cause it didn't match my outfit :rotfl:. So it got sold on Ebay :rolleyes1. I have no idea why I bought it :confused3 but it's mine now! :)

I'm all registered (no turning back!) and my next order of business is:

* To go to a running store and buy new shoes (my toes are SO sore today from sliding an hitting the front of the shoes, they've never done that before)

* Buy tickets to MNSSHP and figure out if I'm going to dress up for it

* Buy park tickets with the discount runners get (might wait until the trip gets closer to do this)

* Keep practicing with my camera and buy a 4 GB memory card (I wanted to post the awesome pictures I've been able to take so far but my camera won't take anything less than 4 GB as it records in HD video [even though all I want to do is take pictures!:headache:]) so it only saves 3 pictures on to the camera itself without a memory card and it won't let me get them off with plugging the camera into my computer :confused3. Oh well, I'll get one soon and show you guys the pics!

* Figure out a different outfit to run in :laughing:. I thought the running skirt was VERY comfortable but I'm not comfortable with the World looking at my rear ;). I will still use it for other things that don't involve running and am still glad I bought it. :thumbsup2

* Continue to train! :yay:

Until next time....:dance3:

So, hmph. Plans have changed. This is probably turning into a very soap opera-y PTR but it is what it is :). After A LOT of thinking and soul searching I decided that I couldn't remain friends with James. We broke up a couple of months ago but I think in my mind I was still holding on to the idea that we are going to get back together, which isn't fair to me, and I started to really think about what it is I'm even holding on to. I told him this, he told me he just wants me to be happy, and so here we are. Like I said I'm going on this trip no matter what but now I don't know if I'm going to keep the ADR's and I probably won't go to MNSSHP and I need to get a rental car BUT I'm still going to WDW and I'm still running the half :goodvibes so life isn't so bad! I know none of my friends will want to go (they aren't really "Disney" people) but I think it will be new and interesting to be there by myself (I wonder how many times I could ride the TTA around before they kicked me off... ;) ).

Hi! Joining in to your ptr. I'm running the Wine and Dine too. It will be my first. I'm a bit nervous about that, but excited too. I'm a very newbie runner. :)

All of your plans sound so good. I'll be at the Cali grill the same night, but a bit later. I'm doing MNSSHP on Sunday (after recovering by the pool all day long). I think my ADR at Cali Grill on Friday is at 7:50. I can't wait for the Halloween party. One of my favorite things at Disney!

Hi! Joining in to your ptr. I'm running the Wine and Dine too. It will be my first. I'm a bit nervous about that, but excited too. I'm a very newbie runner. :)

All of your plans sound so good. I'll be at the Cali grill the same night, but a bit later. I'm doing MNSSHP on Sunday (after recovering by the pool all day long). I think my ADR at Cali Grill on Friday is at 7:50. I can't wait for the Halloween party. One of my favorite things at Disney!

Yay a reader! :) I'm a newbie runner too (but I figure it's better to be a newbie than to have never attempted at all :thumbsup2). I'm not nervous right now but I probably will be once I get there (not knowing what to do or where to go).

I'm still thinking of doing MNSSHP as I think it'll be fun to watch the parade and ride some rides and take photo's. I'm not afraid of going solo as I'm pretty good at entertaining myself and am fairly independent. I'm glad you like it! That makes me want to go even more!

Thanks for reading along! :goodvibes

Hi there. I noticed the link in your signature so figured I'd tag along for the read.

See you down there.

Hi there. I noticed the link in your signature so figured I'd tag along for the read.

See you down there.

I'm so glad you're reading along! Having two readers makes me almost feel popular :) (although I do see I have some lurkers and that's ok too:goodvibes). I hope to see you down there!!

I had actually typed a big long post yesterday and it took me so long that it logged me out and when I went to log back in my post disappeared :(.

Anyways, I wanted to post about more stuff I bought. I know it seems like I’ve spent a lot of money already but I NEVER spend this much money on myself. I had a discretionary account of money used for travelling to see James (with the long distance and all) so I decided to treat myself. I think the treating is done, but you can never be sure ;). Just wanted to share as I didn’t want it to seem like I’ve just got all of this frivolous money to blow.

First, I have been going back and forth about getting a Garmin device so I can track my time/distance. Like I’ve said on another thread, I have a love/hate relationship with my treadmill. I do love the ability to watch re-runs of The Nanny on Nick at Night at 11:30 p.m. while I’m running but not so much the staring at the lamp by the couch during commercials. I love the feeling of freedom that comes with running outside. Running wherever I want, the breezes, saying hello to other runners/walkers, being surrounded by nature, it’s a beautiful thing. But I hate not knowing how fast I’m running or really how far I’m running (I’m pretty sure you can do that kind of stuff with a watch and/or map but considering it took me 3 years to get through basic Geometry, that’s a little too complicated for me:rolleyes:) and I love getting new gadgets.

At first I thought the Garmin Forerunner 205 would meet everything I would really be using it for (the 205, 305, and 405 all get great reviews on Amazon) but I thought I might like the heart rate monitor aspect of the 305 (the 405, while a much more sleek design, was more than I wanted to spend and more than I really needed). I settled on the 305 and ordered it yesterday from Amazon for about $150 with free shipping.

My soon-to-be new toy:

25533.gif

I can’t wait to get it and let you guys know how much I love it (because I know I will).

I’ve also been looking into gels/energy supplements for my runs. I’ve started to notice on my longer runs (10-11 miles) I feel light-headed and dizzy by the end. I don’t think it’s a hydration issue as I do try to stay well-hydrated all of the time.

**This is a side note: every few months I buy all of my organic/paraben free hygiene/girly stuff (shampoo, conditioner, make up, lotion, etc.) from www.drugstore.com. They have decent prices, free shipping, and cash back to use on the next order.

So I was placing an order about a week ago and was $4 away from free shipping (how does that always happen? I swear I think companies go through all the millions of possibilities of purchase combinations so that you’re always just a few bucks away from the “free shipping”. In fact I bought a bunch of stuff from Babies R Us today and was $.73 away from free shipping! [for a baby shower not my baby ;)]). I started looking through their supplements and I had read/heard good things about the Clif shots. But a lot of the reviews were horrible! I kept looking and found an organic energy supplement called Honey Stingers – Organic Energy Chews, pomegranate passion. It had been reviewed 5 times and all of them were 5 stars (as you can tell I’m easily swayed by other’s reviews:upsidedow). I decided to try them out ($16.19 for 12 bags with a handful of chews in each bag). So for $12.19, I got free shipping:rolleyes1.

This is what the box looks like:
300.JPG

I haven’t tried them yet but I will this weekend. I’m crashing my parent’s camping trip in the mountains for a day and I can’t wait to run up there (well, run once I’m there not run to the mountains ;)).

On another side note (can you ever have too many? :)), I went to Trader Joe's today and bought a package of chicken & cilantro wontons. I can't wait to try them as I love to cook/bake and cilantro is one of my most favorite herbs. They are pretty healthy too: 4 wontons equals 50 calories and only .5 gram of fat. I love how my PTR has turned into my own little life journal :).

I don’t have any more Disney news or plans. I’m working on a Plan B this weekend but I would still like to get over to Epcot for the F&WF and definitely relax.

Your trip sounds so exciting! Being at Disney solo can be a nice change. You can do what you want and see everything you want to see, very relaxing! And a Disney race on top of that! I just love running in the Disney races. I was planning on running in the wine & dine, but I found out while at the Princess half this year that I would be 8 months pregnant on race day, so I decided against it :-) Happy planning and training!!

Where did you get your Garmin? THe best price I have found so far is Amazon but I didn't spend a lot of time yet. I think I am finally going to break down and get one. I am not sure which one yet. I don't really care about the heart monitor but the bike computer that can be added to the 305 might make it worth it.

As for the long runs, this is what I do. I never carry water or anything with me on my runs but once I get over 10 miles it is far to go without any water. I have a mailbox out by my street and I put water and gel in there. I plot a course that loops back around my house and I stop for the drink and gel there. Lets say I am doing 15 miles. I may do 10 then 5. Once I get closer to 20 I make a couple of loops.

I can't carry water with me so this is what worked best.

Your trip sounds so exciting! Being at Disney solo can be a nice change. You can do what you want and see everything you want to see, very relaxing! And a Disney race on top of that! I just love running in the Disney races. I was planning on running in the wine & dine, but I found out while at the Princess half this year that I would be 8 months pregnant on race day, so I decided against it :-) Happy planning and training!!

Wow! Congratulations! How exciting! :goodvibes I am looking forward to it but I just hope I don't get lonely while there. I'm thinking it'll be nice to go to some of the shows I never get to see and to relax at a water park and at the resort but it'll be weird to not have anyone to talk to (unless I just annoy the people around me by talking to them! :laughing:) but I hope I'm just so busy and excited that it doesn't even cross my mind.

four readers!

I'm definitely popular now! Thanks for reading! :yay:

Where did you get your Garmin? THe best price I have found so far is Amazon but I didn't spend a lot of time yet. I think I am finally going to break down and get one. I am not sure which one yet. I don't really care about the heart monitor but the bike computer that can be added to the 305 might make it worth it.

As for the long runs, this is what I do. I never carry water or anything with me on my runs but once I get over 10 miles it is far to go without any water. I have a mailbox out by my street and I put water and gel in there. I plot a course that loops back around my house and I stop for the drink and gel there. Lets say I am doing 15 miles. I may do 10 then 5. Once I get closer to 20 I make a couple of loops.

I can't carry water with me so this is what worked best.

The best price I could find was Amazon too (mainly because of the free shipping), $148 and some change. It said some crazy expected shipping date after I ordered it (like end of April I believe) but then I got an email saying that it shipped yesterday :confused3. So hopefully I'll get it Monday or Tuesday.

I went back and forth on if the heart monitor would be worth it and decided that I didn't want to get the 205 and then regret not getting the 305 later (I don't know if the price is much different, I don't remember). I doubt I'll even remember to put on the strap most days but who knows.

That's a great idea! I usually run (when I run outside) in my ex-boss' neighborhood (really nice paved trails) and he always says I can use his house to park at or leave anything at. I usually pass his house after a 3 mile loop so I'll have to start borrowing his mail box. I never even thought of that! I hate carrying things with me on runs (I thought of one of those waist pack things but I think I would be annoyed by the moving around or listening to water sloshing around mile after mile).

Do you stop and drink water at the stations during races? I grabbed one and continued to run (a little slower) at the last race and it was quite a production getting the water actually in my mouth. :upsidedow

Do you stop and drink water at the stations during races? I grabbed one and continued to run (a little slower) at the last race and it was quite a production getting the water actually in my mouth. :upsidedow

Usually I do grab water at every stop in a race. I don't take the sports drink until at least mile 8 if it isn't really hot.

I am at the point where I can grab and drink without slowing any. The key to not spilling is pinching the cup so it makes a tight "V" and channels the water into your mouth. I still get some on me but not as much as when I would breath it in my nose by accident.

Usually I do grab water at every stop in a race. I don't take the sports drink until at least mile 8 if it isn't really hot.

I am at the point where I can grab and drink without slowing any. The key to not spilling is pinching the cup so it makes a tight "V" and channels the water into your mouth. I still get some on me but not as much as when I would breath it in my nose by accident.

I'll have to work on that. I looked like I was entering a wet T-Shirt contest after the race was over :rotfl:. Luckily there was a lot of water in the cup so I did get some in.

Ok, so I'm back from a great relaxing weekend. I was able to get a good run in (I was only there for 1 1/2 days), catch up on some reading, take a good mid-day nap (love those!), and enjoy a yummy tuna steak cooked on the grill :goodvibes. Here's a few pics:

Driving and taking pictures. Almost as safe as driving and texting.
24536_379756114021_519234021_3790211_5615261_n.jpg

Pretty covered bridge I came across
24536_379756349021_519234021_3790217_8146067_n.jpg

View from the campsite
24536_379756724021_519234021_3790224_732343_n.jpg

View to the left of the campsite
24536_379756729021_519234021_3790225_7177309_n.jpg

My Dad made some coffee and we took a sunset/night drive along Skyline Drive. So beautiful (and cold)!
24536_379756734021_519234021_3790226_550766_n.jpg

The town of Luray has built a VERY nice paved 3 mile trail that follows a creek. This is where I ran.
24536_379757114021_519234021_3790231_3483838_n.jpg

This is one of the many murals along the way
24536_379757104021_519234021_3790229_4448213_n.jpg

I thought about a "Plan B" while I was there (mainly during the 3 1/2 hour drive there and the 3 1/2 hour drive back). I'm sure it'll change a 1,000 times before Sept./Oct. but this is what I was thinking so far:

Thursday:
Arrive from airport, get rental car, check-in, go get lunch at Wolf Gang Puck Express in DTD and just browse around for awhile. Then just do whatever I want (reading by the pool or out on the balcony sounds soooooo nice!). Have dinner at Ohana's (I guess? I don't know, I've never eaten at a restaurant by myself. Where do you look? I know that sounds crazy but I think I would end up just staring at some family the whole time, creeping them out). Then go watch the Electrical Light Parade and fireworks from the beach.

Friday:
This is my up-in-the-air day for right now. Basics are to wake up and check in at the Expo. All of the other details I don't know. Maybe Typhoon Lagoon in the morning/early afternoon?

Saturday:
I was thinking of going to Epcot for the F&WF this day. I LOVE Epcot and I think that if I just plan this as a "relax" day I'll be driving myself crazy all day thinking about the race. Food will probably just be from the kiosks and/or counter service (maybe from Morocco? I've never eaten there but all of the food people post on the Restaurants board looks so good! And I LOVE hummus).

Sunday:
Sleep in and go over to AK. I love walking the trails and just strolling around (plus I've never seen the Nemo show) and eat lunch at Flame Tree BBQ or maybe go back to AKL and eat at Mara. Go to DHS for EMH. Dinner is probably counter service in DHS (although I don't know where as none of the places are reviewed that highly and Starring Rolls bakery is unlikely to be open later). Ride a few rides and come back to the room and crash.

Monday:
Back to Epcot. I'm not really sure how this evening is going to go as it all depends on when I feel like leaving Epcot. I would like to see Illuminations as it's my favorite night/firework show but I also want to go to MK that night for EMH and don't want to feel like I'm rushing around MK trying to do everything I want to do. I more than likely will not get to see Illuminations this year :( (although, I wonder if they're going to be having them race night? If so I may be able to see them before the race!). Food for today will be counter service/kiosks for lunch at Epcot and I'm still working on dinner. I don't want to do Ohana's again by myself (there's only so much yummy noodles I can eat!). I'm really leaning towards San Angel in Mexico as I love Mexican and I can NEVER get anyone in my family to eat here so I figure it'd be the perfect opportunity. I know it doesn't get very good reviews though (but with meals I like to try everything once or twice myself instead of relying on the reviews).

Tuesday:
Pack and leave :(

I haven't decided whether I'm going to leave the dining plan on the room. Of course, I'd only do it if I'm planning on eating at TS at least once a day but I don't know if that's my plan anymore.

It looks like I'll be buying a 3 day hopper pass. I would use the last day on my current pass but I figure since the tickets are a pretty good price with the discount I should take advantage and save my one day for next year.

I also haven't received my Garmin Forerunner yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow! If I get it this week (I don't know why I wouldn't) I'll definitely be trying it out Saturday morning.

That's all I have for now! I'll update if anything changes and as plans are made. :yay:

I more than likely will not get to see Illuminations this year :( (although, I wonder if they're going to be having them race night? If so I may be able to see them before the race!).

I keep forgetting that the race doesn't start at Epcot :rolleyes:. Maybe I'll still get to see some residual fireworks? (although, that's not really the same)

Great post(s). Good luck, sadly I dont think I'll be doing Wine and Dine this year.

The drinking water during hte race is something you'll get more comfortable with, its more of an art. I usually hit all of the early water stops and rotate water/sports drinks. After the first 10k or so I start skipping if I feel like I should. Pinching the cup works very well to help get water into your mouth. Also slow down a little bit and make sure you dont breathe in the same time you're pouring the water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter