Wine'in and Dine'in Solo at Kidani, October 2010: Almost 2 Months to Go!

Great post(s). Good luck, sadly I dont think I'll be doing Wine and Dine this year.

The drinking water during hte race is something you'll get more comfortable with, its more of an art. I usually hit all of the early water stops and rotate water/sports drinks. After the first 10k or so I start skipping if I feel like I should. Pinching the cup works very well to help get water into your mouth. Also slow down a little bit and make sure you dont breathe in the same time you're pouring the water.

Thanks! :goodvibes I'm sorry you won't be able to come :( Maybe next year? (assuming there will be one)

I think it is something I just have to keep doing as I've only done 2 races and I'm sure I look quite funny to anyone watching me try to drink water. It's like I crane my neck forward and try to sip the water out of the cup like I'm afraid to get any on me :). So ridiculous. I'm much better with bottles.

It looks like a nice weekend trip. Those pictures look like they could be taken in central Ohio.

If you think driving and taking pictures is hard try biking and taking them. During my cycling trip to Tuscany I got pretty good at slowing just enough to get a good picture but going fast enough to now fall over.

I'm also glad to see someone else drinks coffee after dark. I've been known to grab a light night coffee or espresso from time to time.

Your plan sounds like a good one. I will be doing a much less inclusive trip for the W&D in Oct. Fly down Friday, park and race Saturday, fly home Sunday. I would make it longer if I wasn't planning on coming back in January for marathon weekend and making it a slightly longer trip then.

Good luck getting better at the water stops. It is a bit of an art and I still manage to wear it from time to time.

So how are you liking you FZ35? I recently bought one from B&H for $304. I haven't had much practice yet, but I like it more than the Sony HX5 that I just sent back. I can't wait to learn it and take it with me to Disney ;).

Just wanted to let you know that you have another reader!

As for what to do when eating by yourself at a restaurant you can do what I do (and LOVE): read! I get more reading done when I go out to eat by myself than I do anywhere else.

Of course, this would involve carrying around said reading material, but if you're carrying a bag/purse anyway, I'm sure you can find one to fit.

The W&DHM is my first 1/2 marathon. I did the Race for the Taste 10K (first Disney race!) and Tower of Terror 13K last year and I'm just basically hooked on Disney races.

I have yet to master the art of drinking-while-running, so I walked during the water stops. I'll try that make-a-v-with-the-cup thing for this race.

My daughter is running in the kids races on Friday afternoon/evening. I'm thinking it'll be pretty cute to watch the kids run (she's going to be almost 5 when she runs), so that's an option for something to do Friday. I'd talk to ya! :laughing:

Hope your training is going well! Mine is sort-of at a standstill here in Africa, 11 degrees north of the equator. But I'll be back in FL - and back in regular running form - next month.

If you think driving and taking pictures is hard try biking and taking them. During my cycling trip to Tuscany I got pretty good at slowing just enough to get a good picture but going fast enough to now fall over.

I'm also glad to see someone else drinks coffee after dark. I've been known to grab a light night coffee or espresso from time to time.

Good luck getting better at the water stops. It is a bit of an art and I still manage to wear it from time to time.

I can't imagine biking and taking pics. I can barely bike!

I love coffee at night especially sitting out on the deck or screen porch. I tend to drink more coffee when I go camping. I think I was scarred from both of my parents being avid morning coffee drinkers and then kissing me goodbye before school :sick:. Yuck.

My last race I did pretty well at the water stops but it was so hot that even if I did get some on me I wouldn't have minded.

So how are you liking you FZ35? I recently bought one from B&H for $304. I haven't had much practice yet, but I like it more than the Sony HX5 that I just sent back. I can't wait to learn it and take it with me to Disney ;).

I am LOVING my FZ35!! I take so many more pictures now as they don't come out all blurry like they did with my Canon Powershot and the fact that the battery lasts such a long time before needing to be recharged. I absolutely love this camera. I hope you like it too! I can't wait to take mine to Disney too!

Just wanted to let you know that you have another reader!

As for what to do when eating by yourself at a restaurant you can do what I do (and LOVE): read! I get more reading done when I go out to eat by myself than I do anywhere else.

Of course, this would involve carrying around said reading material, but if you're carrying a bag/purse anyway, I'm sure you can find one to fit.

The W&DHM is my first 1/2 marathon. I did the Race for the Taste 10K (first Disney race!) and Tower of Terror 13K last year and I'm just basically hooked on Disney races.

I have yet to master the art of drinking-while-running, so I walked during the water stops. I'll try that make-a-v-with-the-cup thing for this race.

My daughter is running in the kids races on Friday afternoon/evening. I'm thinking it'll be pretty cute to watch the kids run (she's going to be almost 5 when she runs), so that's an option for something to do Friday. I'd talk to ya! :laughing:

Hope your training is going well! Mine is sort-of at a standstill here in Africa, 11 degrees north of the equator. But I'll be back in FL - and back in regular running form - next month.

Welcome! :goodvibes Thanks for reading along. I promise it'll get more exciting as it gets closer. I think I prematurely started my PTR!

Africa! :eek: How exciting!! My best friend is from South Africa and she's shown me so many pictures. It looks so beautiful! I hope you're enjoying it (and staying cool).

I'm so excited for getting to experience a Disney race. It seems much more friendly and fun than the races I've been doing where everyone just sort of lines up, doesn't say anything to each other, then races, and leaves.

I should try going to a restaurant around here alone to read. I do love to read and certainly wouldn't mind carrying a book with me.

I don't know what I'm planning on doing Saturday but if I show up to cheer I would gladly talk to you! :goodvibes I'm still not sure what the concrete plans are right now (which I guess they're never concrete when you're going solo). One of my friends in Orlando said he'd hang out with me but I don't know if that's definite or what days he's thinking.

I love that they have kids races. It's my hope that if I ever have kids to get them involved in running (whether they like it or not! ;) ).

My training is actually going a lot easier and better than I have expected. I think having a race to prepare for every month has really kept me on track. The humidity is awful but luckily I have quite a few camping trips planned when my longest runs are so being in the mountains with minimal humidity makes running feel so much easier! I ran 8 miles two weekends ago in the mountains and felt great the whole time. I tried to do 7 miles at home last Saturday but stopped at 5 as I just couldn't take it anymore and pushed as much as I could. I started getting the chills so I figured I didn't want to pass out and/or end up in a hospital just for 2 miles. I'm not worried about the race though as I think it's the mixture of the bright sun and humidity that is so awful. Even running with humidity at night feels so much better. But it's amazing how much more endurance and strength I have from month to month. I think that's one of the neatest parts about running is seeing your progress and your body change.

I figured I would post a few pics since I really have no new information to share and it's semi about running as I did run at the campground. Oh, and we saw Toy Story 3 at a drive-in so that's Disney related.

37624_408506699021_519234021_4516396_6379293_n.jpg

This is a trail in Buena Vista, VA that use to be a train track that they filled in and made a 7 mile "hiking" trail along a river (it's basically flat so it's a great running trail too!)

37624_408506704021_519234021_4516397_4574830_n.jpg

More of the trail

37605_408506574021_519234021_4516383_5954389_n.jpg

This was the front of the campground (Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort in Montebello, VA)

37605_408506579021_519234021_4516384_274004_n.jpg

This was the man-made lake at the campground that had a trail around it that was about .6 of a mile.

37605_408506584021_519234021_4516385_4545375_n.jpg

More of the lake (you could swim in the lake but looking at that water, who would want to? [or maybe that's just me, I have a thing against swimming in lakes])

37624_408506724021_519234021_4516401_3662538_n.jpg

Hull's Drive-In in Lexington, VA. Mr. Hull died in the late 90's after running the drive-in for 50ish years. The community decided to buy it and run it so now it's the only non-profit, community owned drive-in in the country. Their prices were $6 per person in the car. Kids 11 and under were free and they played two movies every night. Luckily Toy Story 3 was first as it wasn't over until almost midnight. I can't imagine staying for the second! Also, concession stuff was super cheap, $1 for HUGE snowcones, $1.50 for popcorn, $1.50 for a large soda.

Africa! :eek: How exciting!! My best friend is from South Africa and she's shown me so many pictures. It looks so beautiful! I hope you're enjoying it (and staying cool).

I think it's safe to say that I'm in the least beautiful country in Africa - Djibouti! It's a barren wasteland of dirt and trash. The nicest place in the whole country is the Kempinski Hotel. They somehow managed to figure out how to grow grass! :scared1:

I'm so excited for getting to experience a Disney race. It seems much more friendly and fun than the races I've been doing where everyone just sort of lines up, doesn't say anything to each other, then races, and leaves.

I've never gone to one of their races with another runner I knew, but always have found someone to talk to. Too bad I can never remember names!!! LOL

I love that they have kids races. It's my hope that if I ever have kids to get them involved in running (whether they like it or not! ;) ).

My daughter is just excited to get a medal like Mommy does (which, shamefully, is the only reason I started running the Disney races - to get the cool medals! LOL)

That trail looks like a fun place to run and who doesn't love drive-in movies? Most of the drive-ins around here are closed but we used to go every summer up until about 2007.

Most kids want to be like their parents when they are young so I imagine many runners have kids that want to run. Growing up my dad played baseball so I wanted to play baseball. I play softball and volleyball with a lot of friends with kids and their kids all want to play along to be like the grownups.

Of course that doesn't mean they will keep wanted to be like mom or dad once they are old enough that their parents aren't cool anymore.

That trail looks like a fun place to run and who doesn't love drive-in movies? Most of the drive-ins around here are closed but we used to go every summer up until about 2007.

Most kids want to be like their parents when they are young so I imagine many runners have kids that want to run. Growing up my dad played baseball so I wanted to play baseball. I play softball and volleyball with a lot of friends with kids and their kids all want to play along to be like the grownups.

Of course that doesn't mean they will keep wanted to be like mom or dad once they are old enough that their parents aren't cool anymore.

I loved the drive-in. They played a lot of 50's-60's music before the movie which was nice too. We used to have one around here but it closed and was torn down for another Wal-Mart. There was one maybe half an hour from Cincy that we never made it to as it was always packed! I'm hoping drive-in's will make a comeback.

So true about wanting to be like your parents. My parents weren't really into anything so I kind of bumbled through activities trying to see what fit and what didn't.

That's one of the reasons I don't want to have kids is them thinking I'm not cool anymore! :laughing: "Your Mom is cool! She's hip! Are you kids still saying "Cool beans"?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter