Wings in the parks?

What should I do about Tinkerbell's wings?

• Buy the nice ones from Shop Disney (she'll look adorable, and they'll hold up)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Buy the nice ones from Shop Disney (she'll look adorable - who cares if they hold up?)

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Buy cheapie ones from the dollar store (she's 4 - she'll just be happy to have wings)

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Skip the wings (she'll still obviously be Tinkerbell, and wings are a pain)

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • Other - consider this nifty thought...

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

ClapYourHands

DIS Veteran
DD will be 4 on our next trip to WDW, and is very interested in wearing costumes to the park.

She has requested a Tinkerbell costume for her upcoming birthday, and I bought her the dress, but the wings are a separate purchase. Wings are currently out of stock at Shop Disney, but I assume they will come back in stock at some point and would also be available at the parks themselves. But I'm wondering how practical (impractical) they'll be for a day at WDW.

Parents with experience, are Tinkerbell wings going to get squished, ripped, and otherwise trashed or will they hold up okay? I'm of half a mind to just get cheapie ones from the dollar store and not worry what happens to them, but I'm worried they'll detract from her cute outfit.

Will it look odd if she is a wingless Tink? It seems so much easier for her jus to wear the dress. I'm also a bit worried nice wings would be stolen if we take them off and leave them in the stroller.

Any other costume advice from BTDT parents? My older kids are boys who are content with Disney T-shirts, so I haven't really paid much attention to costume accessories (except to think dressed-up kids are cute).

what if you just added some green shiny fabric on her back to have streamers of type she can play with them and who cares if they fall off just bring extras heh (velcro) . this way she wont hit into stuff and can sit with no issues, but the illusion of wings.

DD has worn her tinker bell costume in the park and I would think wings wouldn’t last long (comfort wise and logistically on and off rides) then you’re stuck carrying them around so i vote no wings or dollar store ones

Isn't there a "fairy wings" magic shot somewhere in MK. She could wear the dress and do the magic shot.

what if you just added some green shiny fabric on her back to have streamers of type she can play with them and who cares if they fall off just bring extras heh (velcro) . this way she wont hit into stuff and can sit with no issues, but the illusion of wings.

Love your out of the box thinking!

DD has worn her tinker bell costume in the park and I would think wings wouldn’t last long (comfort wise and logistically on and off rides) then you’re stuck carrying them around so i vote no wings or dollar store ones

I was hoping a parent with experience would weigh in! Was your DD okay being a wingless Tink? How did you sell it to her?

Would she wear Tink Minnie ears?
Thank you! I don't know if that would fill her desire for wings, but it's something to consider.

Isn't there a "fairy wings" magic shot somewhere in MK. She could wear the dress and do the magic shot.

I don't know anything about magic shots, but sounds like an interesting suggestion. We don't usually get memory maker, so if it's an extra charge, we might skip it.

Will she fit on rides with the wings??? If not - I wouldn’t bring them.

I don't know. I was hoping maybe someone with experience would weigh in on this. I assume she'd be okay on slower rides like PPF, but they might be more squished on something like 7DMT.

My daughter was in a Peter pan show, and they had several fairies in the show. For the fairies, they had wings attached to a square of thin, cheap yoga mat. The wings slid down the back of the fairy costume, and were very easily removed. This way when she gets tired of having them, or you go on a ride, you can take them out. Not sure how portable they'd be though.

DD has dressed as Tink for Halloween, though not at Disney. I will say that the wings were a huge pain when she was getting in and out of the car (it was cold so we drove from street to street). She couldn't really lean back without them getting smooshed and it being uncomfortable for her, plus turning to get in and out of the seat, the wings would get bent up. I imagine it would be worse on rides as she wouldn't be able to sit back comfortable you and the wings may get bent. Same with sitting in a chair to take a break or to eat. If she's walking around the park, they could get snagged on any number of things.

I vote no wings. She will look just as cute without them and you won't have to deal with the headache of making sure they don't get ruined/ having an upset little girl if they do get ruined and have to be pitched.

Will it look odd if she is a wingless Tink? It seems so much easier for her jus to wear the dress. I'm also a bit worried nice wings would be stolen if we take them off and leave them in the stroller.

In May, my daughter (3 at the time) dressed as Tinkerbell during our trip. We bought the dress at Castle Couture and did not purchase wings. I let her get a little Tinkerbell flower crown and wand instead. I was concerned about the logistics with the wings.

She looked adorable and I didn’t think it was weird without the wings at all. It was very obvious she was Tinkerbell. Tink made a huge deal about them being dressed alike.

I say skip the wings! :)

Either skip the wings or get a cheap pair from the dollar store. We had the nice ones as a gift from someone and they bent just being around the house. I imagine they would come home from the park looking rough! So not worth money for shopdisney. They may get messed up just traveling in the suitcase before you even get to the park.

Either skip the wings or get a cheap pair from the dollar store. We had the nice ones as a gift from someone and they bent just being around the house. I imagine they would come home from the park looking rough! So not worth money for shopdisney. They may get messed up just traveling in the suitcase before you even get to the park.

I agree, we’ve owned a pair of expensive Disney wings and cheap dollar store wings? They both bent pretty easily. I would go with the cheaper option.

I was hoping a parent with experience would weigh in! Was your DD okay being a wingless Tink? How did you sell it to her?

I think her costume was fancy enough (Disney store version 3 years ago) it didn’t become an issue. If it had I would have gone with dollar store ones for the park (we had a green pair that lasted a while and would have been easy enough to hang off the stroller when not in use and if they were stolen it wasn’t a big loss)

Good luck!

We brought the wings. My daughter and her friend wore them for the meet and greet and took them off the rest of the time. I'm glad we did. I love the photos (even if I think we had them on upside down ;)). If I recall properly they got pretty beat up stuffed in our bag after, but I didn't care. I vote bring them and don't worry if they get trashed (after the photos).

Tinks in Toontown by mom2rtk, on Flickr

I vote cheapies or nothing. Taking them off and putting them on can start to be a hassle (I say this as an exhausted mom who likens dressing DS2.5 to losing an argument with a drunk racoon), and every time they have to be tucked away or she bumps something with them you run the risk of damage.

We used these Little Adventurers wings. They held up pretty well, were a bit more flexible than most wings (as they fold shut like butterfly wings), and were pretty easy to store for travel. I know that DD wore them in the parks, though she may have taken them off at some point. They're still in good shape and she wears them for dress up time at home.

If you don't have a Target redcard for free shipping, you can get them from the Little Dress Up Shop with free shipping in the US.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter