Winter trip tips

kizzabel

Eating poisonous apples since '86
Hi all,
we are only 2 months from our next trip and it struck me that this is our 1st trip in the depths of winter so I was wondering what would you recommend as regards clothing and any tips for making the cold weather more managable and getting the most from our trip? Its myself, my cousin and my little chappy James (3, turning 4 on our 2nd last day) off on this trip at the end of January.

And does anyone know where I could get kids long johns?! Hes in age 2-3 and I think they might be a good idea to keep him toasty.

Just going to look at closures and get into planning mode for our 7th trip in earnest :yay:

Layers! Lots of layers is a must, we have snow boots for our boys and we got them thermals, including long johns from m&s. :) we found regular hot drink stops were very necessary too!

Have a great time planning :woohoo:

I agree, lots of layers is the essential thing I think! As many thermals as you can, e.g. my DFi will be wearing thermal long johns under his jeans and thermal socks and I'll wearing thermal leggings, thermal socks and a thermal top under my normal top. Don't forget hats, scarves and gloves. And sensible, waterproof, warm shoes. We're also taking pac-a-macs as they'll be really easy and convenient to carry round with us in case of rain.

Have fun!

We've just come back, had a great time and enjoyed the Christmas season. I purchased thermals for my grandson from Asda though primarke sell them too. Hope you have a great time :)

We used to put our daughter in a ski suit. Warm, waterproof and she could wear normal clothes underneath and slip it off when we were eating etc. Have picked them up very reasonably in TK Maxx, Sports Direct etc. And make sure any boots are waterproof, or you'll end up paying DLP prices for wellies! (albeit lovely wellies ;)).

lidl havr snowgear coming in this wk, they have only the terminal tops tho. would he wear tights underneath?? that what i put on my girls when we went the year of the bad snow. You could get navy/black ones in dunnes. Lidl had fleece lined rain gear a couple wks ago , got them for.dd1. They might get them in again or you could be lucky and they might have some left. Also pennys had snow gear the other day but im not sure what they have didnt look.

We have bought full snowsuits, shower and waterproof Nd fully fleece lined, we also have thermal vests and those socks that are about 3 tog plus waterproof snow boots and ski gloves. have also picked up reusable gel hand warmers as we want to be prepared. My best friend is there now and says its Baltic!

Hadn't finished typing. We got snow suits for kids in sports direct for £24.99 and they are great

Have you got a Home Bargains nearby, popped into ours on the weekend and noticed kids thermals, snowsuits and the disposable hand warmers, which I'm a real fan of :thumbsup2

We are going for layers too - with thermals as base layer. I think that way, if you go into a shop/restaurant it is easy (ish) to strip off to a comfortable layer.

I am taking ski sallopettes for my girls but not for me. I have just bought waterproof overtrousers for us all at the weekend just in case it is torrential (like it is here at the moment :worried:). I also have ponchos as our coats, while warm, I don't think would remain watertight in torrential rain.

If we don't need them, then fine, but I'd rather have stuff for all eventualities.

Like Jill, I have those one use handwarmers too. I think the biggest issue for us is going to be the cold later on as it gets dark and temps drop i.e. watching Dreams etc later, so they might come in handy then. Likewise, first thing can sometimes be chilly. I can see us dressing up/down/up every day which will be a chore, but if we stay warm and dry, we will enjoy it more!! ;)

I was last in Disneyland Paris in December 2010 when THAT snow happened - just wear lots of layers, remember that Ugg boots and snow/rain don't mix well and that Pirates of the Caribbean and It's a Small World are great places to get out of the cold. ;)

Have you got a Home Bargains nearby, popped into ours on the weekend and noticed kids thermals, snowsuits and the disposable hand warmers, which I'm a real fan of :thumbsup2

Thanks for the tip Jill. Mum went and got some more handwarmers today - bargain price! I paid minimum of 99p for my others - some more in outdoor shops! She got quite a few pairs - more than enough for our trip, but I'm sure they will come in handy for other trips etc (especially at that price!) :thumbsup2.

Ski gear coming into aldi Sunday including kids termals. There is a very cute enfants snow suit suitable up to age 3 that is very cute.

Thanks for all the great replies. Sorry Im back in the dark age with no internet. Will get over to Aldi to pick some up Sunday, thanks :)

Oh and what are these disposible hand warmers? Its all new to me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter