Winter trip...what to wear?

PrincessKel

Mouseketeer
We are off December 23rd-26th and have only been in the summer before so have not got a clue what to wear! Will it be really really freezing? :confused3

We have not been sking or anything before so no idea on what kind of things are best for the cold weather and how many layers we will need! Don't want tHe kids to be cold especially although I imagine the excitement will keep them warm!

Also footwear, will trainers be okay or do we all need proper snow boots?
Any advice very much appreciated :grouphug:

you will need waterproof warm comfortable footwear - so ski boots or walking boots really.

same with your clothes - warm layers (thermals are a good idea) and a waterproof cosy coat. Skisuits for the kids are also a good idea.

DLP is generally a couple of degrees warmer than here in the UK in summer, and a couple of degrees colder in winter.

Have to say, the main thing that was worrying me was footwear. We all have snowboots but they are the bulky material type and tbh I am not sure they are really very good for DLP. So, I went out and bought the 3 of us (DH already had some!) Karrimor weathertite boots (hiking style). We had worn them a few times now (as a trial) and honestly, they are amazing. I bought a size bigger for all of us as I also bought those thick, heat hugger (duvet tog) socks, but we can still walk properly in them and they are not heavy or bulky.

It's cost us a fortune kitting out for this trip but I am hoping it means we are ready for all weathers.

If it helps, I've also bought multiple thermals (l/s tops & leggings), deerstalker type hats with fur inside & ear flaps, ski type gloves/mittens as well as the bits above. I also bought the obligatory fleece type hoodies/tops for the girls in Disney prints/images :thumbsup2. Oh, and ski salopettes for them both. I bought those in a slightly bigger size so that we can get good use out of them - perhaps 2 winters.

I also bought cheap ponchos to put over our coats. I think our coats are showerproof but probably not waterproof (not many winter coats are unless super duper ski type coat). So, I figured we'd be warm in our coats and have ponchos in case it really pours down.

HTH :thumbsup2

We found those heat hugger socks invaluable when we were there in February, with another pair of thin socks inside to provide the layering needed.

Do you think wellies + thermal socks would do the job on wet days, and normal boots + thermals on dry days?

This is very helpful! I'm visiting DLP for the first time from December 25th-27th.

Lots and lots of thermals!

I can't stand being cold, so I'm planning on lots of layers and a shopping day next week to get it all. I'm thinking thermal socks and something like a thermal vest are a must.

I have a pac a mac as well which I'm planning on taking as it'll be nice and easy to carry around with us in case it rains, will be buying one for DFi on the shopping trip I think.

It can really vary. When we went in December 2006 the temperature was below -1 every single day and it was bitter even with thermals. When we arrived in December 2010 there was snow but it wasn't as cold (but hat, gloves and scarves were very necessary!), then last December it was fairly mild in comparison. I was happy without a hat and lots of bulky layers, just a wooly cardigan under my coat.

It's best to be cautious and pack lots of layers - it's miserable walking around when you're freezing! The last couple of years I've worn my fleece lined Dr Marten boots and they are just perfect. In 2010 my little sister wore Uggs and they were leaking by the end of the first day, which resulted in a very miserable eleven year old! Sturdy, warm, waterproof boots are a must.

I'm a bit worried about my MIL who's adamant she doesn't need thermals because she'd roast. She says she only uses a 2.5 tog duvet all year round at home and is fine, but other people find her house SO hot because the central heating gets cranked up so high! So I hope she won't regret it. So far I've got thermal vests and a long sleeved top for the girls, and socks for each of us. I've also ordered a 'down' coat which should keep me very warm! May go for thermal leggings and a top or two, but it depends how the weather forecast is looking a bit nearer the time I think. May have to make an emergency trip to Tesco the night before ;)

We were at Dlp The week before Christmas last year. We were watching the evening parade in the snow. It was minus 5 .....

We all wore snow boots. Ski coat s and ski trousers and wooly hats and gloves.

Whenever we went inside to eat we stripped down to our leggings and thermal t-shirts.

I know it might sound too much but honesty it made all the difference. Neither of my DDs moaned about the cold once (unlike almost everyone around us)

The only re al disadvantage is having to lug it all on the eurostar...

Can I suggest vacuum type squishy bags....

I was there last week and it is freezing, there is a wind chill there as it is made up with lots of open spaces , make sure u bring thermals for her as there is nothing worse than being cold. I was wearing snow boots and tog socks.

As an avid snowboarder I can't say enough about the proper layers for insulation. Do get a poly blend as your base layer, never cotton. You want something that wicks away moisture. Then put a wool layer or something very warm, followed by a water proof coat. Do the same with legs. I love my Hot Chilli's and insulated snow pants. I also make fleece leggins that fit tight around my legs for very cold days.

Keep your feet dry and warm. Hats hold the heat in your body. Cover your head to minimize heat loss.

Stay warm and have fun.

We've just got back tonight. Me and DH were okay with just tshirt, jumper, coats on and gloves.
The kids had hats, scarves and thermals too and were fine.
I wore uggs all week I just waterproofed them before we went and even when it tipped down most of Sunday my feet were still dry, x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter