Wish Trip we arrive in Orlando 10/7/2012

ElishaConway

Earning My Ears
My son Aidan has two cancerous tumors inside his optic nerves and a tumor inside his spinal cord. He has a genetic disorder called Neurofibromatosis. Its pretty much where his body cant block tumors. He has two siblings a 5 year old brother and an 8 year old sister. His sister had two brain surgeries this past June due to a 1.5 Chiari Malformation. Aidan has been on chemo for 18 months and will be on and off chemo his entire life.
We are so excited to be going on a wish trip to Disney World!
We have been to Disney World before Aidan was born so I know some but have no idea how this wish trip stuff works so please share your advice.
Thank you,
Elisha Conway:dance3:

:wave2: Following you over here from the disABILITIES board. Look forward to reading more about your plans and your trip! :teeth:

We have been to Disney World before Aidan was born so I know some but have no idea how this wish trip stuff works so please share your advice.

I don't know much firsthand, but my cousin who took a wish trip with her son said it was wonderful, and that "they took care of everything." :goodvibes Although she'd never been before and I don't think she was very demanding or had any real expectations going in; on the other hand, she does have pretty strong opinions on how things go with her son and I'm guessing they worked with those. ;)

We've looked into volunteering for the Orlando guys, so I do know there's a big resort out there dedicated to Disney/Orlando wish trips with a carousel that accommodates wheelchairs and places for the kids to play and a cafeteria and a lot of people to help you. :) I suppose it depends some on how well the guys at your end of things coordinate with the Orlando guys, but the Orlando guys seem to really know what they're doing -- a huge percentage of wish trips involve Orlando. I suppose it depends on the volunteers they have, but they're willing to work with people who are just in Orlando for vacation (so long as you get all the paperwork done before you're out there), so I'm guessing they're pretty organized and better staffed than a lot of volunteer-based groups.

If you can communicate your needs and wants to them ahead of time, they should be able to let you know whether they can do that for you, and I know they try hard to support the other kids in the family and show them a great time, as well. :)

Thank you all! We are so excited!!! I was hoping Aidan's siblings would also be treated special. They all have been through so much.
I have already begun packing! Is there anything yall can think of I may need to pack that I might not think of?
Elisha Conway

I have a good packing list over in my PTR - click the link in my siggy, go to post #2 and click on the link. There's also a huge one posted over on the Theme Parks Attractions & Strategies board - just search the forum for "packing list" and it should come up for you. :teeth:

Do you have the photo uploaded to an online storage account like Photobucket?

Me, dh John, dd Elizabeth, ds Aidan, and ds Connor. This pic was taken last spring. I shaved my head in November to raise money for childhood cancer so it is shorter now.

2011familypic.jpg
[/IMG]

I thought I would share Aidans story with yall.

Aidan William Conway was born a healthy full term baby on November 8, 2008. He was a good baby, slept in his own bed early on. I noticed he hit those first milestones a little later than my other children but I just kept a close eye on it. When we went to his 12 month check up I expressed my concern for his delays, which had now started falling even
further behind. The pediatrician brushed it off and said it was because he was a third child. I gave it a month and decided to call the Tennessee early intervention services. They sent someone out to our house to give Aidan an evaluation. They agreed Aidan was definantly behind and said it would only get worse if left alone.

We immediatly started Speech therapy, physical therapy and,occupational therapy. I then took Aidan to a Developmental pediatrician for an evaluation. We were sure Aidan had Autism. He would bang his head, scream, not look people in the eyes, etc. She evaluated Aidan and agreed he had Autism. It took a week before this hit me. When it hit, it hit hard, my baby has Autism. I felt so sorry for him and so helpless.

The Developmental Pediatrician advised me to take Aidan to a Neurologist. I chose one that specialized in Autism so he could get the best care. The Neurologist ordered an MRI so she could see his brain before we ever met with her. We recieved the MRI results from Le Bonheur. It said the brain had typical findings of Neurofibromatosis. Talk about being shocked. What is this? Why am I just finding out about it? We then met with the Neurologist. She informed us he would most likely start having seizures. She also told us with Neurofibromatosis his body didn't have the ability to block tumors from growing like most. We went home with heavy hearts that day.

Less than a month after this appointment Aidan started having early morning vomiting and his words, the few he had, got all jumbled. His balance went from bad to worse. I took him to the emergency department at Le Bonheur on the third day of this. The staff checked him out and sent us on our way saying it was just a stomach virus. I disagreed but what could I do. It continued and three days later I took him back to the emergency department. This time I called his Neurologist before going. When I arrived I told the staff this was not a stomach virus and I wasnt taking my baby anywhere until they figured out what it was. They ordered every test you could think of. The spinal tap was clear, blood results were good, so we were waiting on the MRI.

The doctor came into our room on the neuro floor the next night after 6:00pm. It was just me and Aidan. She told me my baby had a very agressive tumor on his brain stem and that we would be sent to St. Jude immediatly to start high dose radiation and chemo in hopes that we would get more time with Aidan. I was devastated. We buried a baby in December of 2005 and I was not ready to give up another baby. Our life with Aidan had just begun. We stayed in Le Bonheur for three more days while St. Jude went over Aidan's scans. Our neurologist came back on Thursday and told us I am so very sorry our Radiologist made a mistake. They spot on Aidan's brain stem is not a tumor it is a cafe au lait spot. I didn't care that there was a mistake made. I was just ready to go home and spend every minute with my children. We got a second chance! We stayed another couple days for evaluation. Aidan was slowly getting better and the doctors had no idea what happened. This happened again twice in October and December. The doctors still couldn't tell us what it was. When I went home, I said I never wanted this to happen to another family if I could help it. I called Neurofibromatosis Inc. that following Monday morning. I started the first ever walk in Tennessee through Neurofibromatosis Inc. I also did everything I could to learn more about Neurofibromatosis. Our first year we raised $7,500! I met some amazing people who understood everything we were going through. We are coming up on our third annual walk.

Aidan started walking two weeks before his 2nd birthday. We were so so excited. We were told he may never walk, that we would just have to wait and see. He showed them!

Everything had seemed to be getting better. I said earlier he had another one of those episodes in December of 2010. It was on December 27, 2010 just two days after Christmas. I don't think I will ever forget that date. We went to Le Bonheur. They knew what to do this time and immediatly ordered an MRI. We were sent home and our Neurologist made us an appointment to come to her office on December 29. I told John it would probably be nothing so I could go by myself and he could just let the other two kids play with their new toys. Boy was I wrong. Our Neurologist had me sit down and said we have found a tumor on Aidan's right optic nerve. She didn't want me to worry but she was sending us to St. Jude for "evaluation".

St. Jude called about a week later with Aidan's first appointment. That was the longet week of my life. I walked the floors and everytime the phone rang I about peed my pants. We went in, scared to death. I now know from experience you can spot the new families because they have this terrified look on there faces, that was us. They ran all kinds of tests on Aidan. They did another MRI because their machines see more than others. A couple days later we then sat down with Aidan's new doctors, Dr. Qaddoumi and Dr. Cook.

Dr. Qaddoumi specializes in Neurofibromatosis and the tumors that come along with it. He sat us down too. You always know somethings wrong when they have you sit down. He said I'm sorry but your son has Cancer. I can not explain to you the feeling I had after those words. I had been shot through the heart. He said he not only has a tumor on his right optic nerve but on his left optic nerve also. He said the cancer he has is Pilocytic Astrocytoma. He went on to tell us Aidan has a 50/50 chance of completely losing his vision. He also stated that Aidan will need chemo on and off his entire life.

I went around for six months feeling numb. I just thought everything we had gone through before was terrifying. Aidan had a couple of those episodes I talked about earlier, after going to St. Jude. He was finally diagnosed as having Absence seizures.

When I was younger I used to always think St. Jude was this place where little kids went to die but I can't tell you how far I was from the truth. St. Jude is a place of Hope and Love. We have met some of the most amaing people along our journey. Our journey is no where near being over but Aidan is the strongest three year old I have ever known. He can always find a reason to smile no matter what is going on. In December of 2011 he caught a stomach virus. We were at St. Jude 12 hours later. He was in Kidney failure, septic shock, his oxygen, bloodpressure, and heart rate were all critically low. When we got there they called for the crashcart and the team. In two minutes he was hooked up to all kinds of machines and in ICU. His little body looked lifeless. The doctors were even crying and said if we had been two hours later he would no longer be with us. He slowly got better over the next week. He went home on Christmas Eve. We were so excited to have our family together again just in time for Christmas. He had a bag of fluids connected to him at all times for the next three weeks. We have to watch his kidneys from now on.

Since we have been at St. Jude and on chemo Aidan's tumors havent grown any but have had times where there was blood flow to them. He has a new tumor in his spinal cord that no one has been able to explain yet. He also has a tumor called a Neurofibroma on his back that has more than doubled in size over the past year. We cherish everyday, every moment we have with our children.

I have told you all about Aidan so I guess I will share Elizabeth's story too.

We found out last December that Elizabeth had a 1.5 Chiari Malformation. Her neurosurgeon told us that she was so close to being born with Spina Bifida. Her cereberal tonsils had grown down into her spinal canal and her brain stem has grown down there also causing no room for spinal fluid to flow. It caused constant headaches, balance issues, behavorial issues, etc. We decided along with our neurosurgeon it would be best for Elizabeth to have a decompression brain surgery as soon as school got out. She would remove a small part of Elizabeth's skull in the back and cut through the dura and remove part of the first 2 spinal discs.
Surgery was performed on June 1st. It took five hours. The doctor said it went great and was very much needed. Elizabeth was in ICU for one night. She was having trouble moving her neck so she had some pt to help with that. We went home a few days later. She did pretty well until about 2.5 weeks after surgery she started screaming saying her head hurt so I took her to the er and they did a ct scan and couldnt find anything and her head had stopped hurting so we went back home. A week laster it happened again except she was throwing up this time and it wasnt going away. The er did another ct scan and there was a cyst full of spinal fluid that had formed on the front left side of her brain actually moving her brain over. Surgery was scheduled for the following morning. She again did great and this took care of the pain. She is doing well now. She was kinda mad at me becasue surgery was one the day before her 8th birthday :( but I wanted her to have all summer to heal. Here are some pics.

Right after surgery
P1100566.jpg

The morning after surgery
P1100587.jpg

The bandage on her head
010.jpg

Her head after the bandage came off
076.jpg

Connor pushing Elizabeth in her wheelchair
034.jpg

Aidan went to St. Jude today for what we hope to be his last dose of chemo for a little while. He will take it orrally for 5 days. His scans will be on the week of the 20th. He should get a break from chemo anywhere from 3 months to 3 years. We hope it pray it's closer to 3 years.
We having a No More Chemo party this weekend!

Hello!

Just wanted to welcome you to the DIS! :)

I put a link to your pre-trip report on the Wish Trippers thread! :) And I am going to follow along, too!

You have a beautiful family!

Thank you Maroo! We are so excited and can't wait to go on Aidan's wish trip. With everything our family has been through the last two years we sure could use a vacation and I think Disney World would just be the perfect place!

Sunday 10/7/2012
Arrive in Orlando
Check in at Give Kids the World Village
Go to Wal-Mart, pick up diapers
Spend the day at Give Kids the World
The world’s largest Candy land Party 7:30pm – 8:30pm

Monday 10/8/2012
Have Breakfast at Give Kids the World @approx. 8:00am
Arrive at Magic Kingdom @9:00am
Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party 7:00pm - 12:00am
(Wear matching Mickey/Minnie shirts)

Tuesday 10/9/2012
Have Breakfast at Give Kids the World @ approx. 9:00am
Arrive at Sea World @ approx. 10:00am
(Wear matching whale shirts)
Mayor Clayton’s Birthday Party 7:30pm - 8:30pm

Wednesday 10/10/2012
Eat breakfast at Give Kids the World @ approx. 8:00am
Arrive at Hollywood Studios @ approx. 9:00am
Hollywood Studios closes at 8:00pm

Thursday 10/11/2012
Arrive at Universal Studios @ 9:00am
(Wear matching Thing shirts)
Christmas at Give Kids the World @7:00pm

Friday 10/12/2012
Arrive at Universal Studios Island of Adventures @ 9:00am
Park closes @ 8:00pm

Saturday 10/13/2012
Arrive @ Animal Kingdom @ 9:00am
Go To Epcot @ 2:00pm
Epcot Future World closes @ 9:00pm
Epcot World Showcase closes @ 10:00pm

Looks like a fun schedule! I hope you all enjoy this time together! :woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter