Wk of Jan. 20th-- WISH Walking/Running Club

People always ask me if I actually RAN a marathon and I always say, "Well, actually I walked it" and then they just go "oh" and move on. Kinda makes me feel like chopped liver.....

I know that if I finish the half marathon next January, at any pace, it will be an achievement of a lifetime for me, and the training to get there will definitely change my life and my body forever.

Next time you get asked that question, ask them why they are asking and redirect the conversation. If they really don't have a good reason to be asking you, like they're just fishing for a way to put you down, then you don't have to answer at all. Pretend to get a cell phone call.

LOL I'm over sharing stuff with people that don't deserve to hear about me, I'm too fabulous for them. :love:

Jeanne--You know what I always so to those idiots, "what's your marathon time?" :mad: :mad: :mad: You completed the marathon. Period. Be very proud of your accomplishments and wear your marathon badge proudly. And to be completely honest with you, very few people actually run every step of the marathon. I was at mile 24 about 9:30, so I saw the 3:30 marathoners coming in and yep, some of them were walking. Congrats on your Mickey!!!

Krista

Jeanne- never ever feel like chopped liver about your accomplishment. Those people don't know what they're talking about. You are a marathon finisher. PERIOD. nuff said. You are a valued member of our team.

Jeanne - Wakling 2632 is no walk in teh park. 16 mpm is tough to do for many. DOing it fo 26.2? Amazing. I don't care if you ran, walked or crawled, you are a marathoner! As a friend put if for me, you finished a marathon ebfore most people left their house that morning. Be proud!

Thanks....you guys are so great! I love my WISH team :lovestruc :love: :lovestruc I AM A MARATHONER!

Jeanne: Can't say it enough.....you finished a marathon. You did it with your own two feet. That's it......there is nothing else to report. I attempted to "run" a marathon, but I walked at the end. You understand what that means after you have gotten to 20 miles and feel like you have nothing left. I had enough left to WALK to the finish. I certainly wasn't walking as fast as you and Nancy did, but I got there (6:22). Do you think I FAILED b/c I didn't run it all? No, I certainly did not.

It doesn't matter HOW you get there, just that you do under your own power. We are all winners b/c we actually started this journey.

Don't ever let someone make you feel lesser of an endurance athlete. I could never walk your pace and make it......you would leave me in the dust. Heck, Nancy out walks me to the parking lot!!!!

Those who haven't done it don't understand what it takes to finish 26.2 miles. You do!

Beth

Panda Dave: I was really trying to speed walk today at about 4.2 to 4.4 mph and I am having a hard time not breaking into a trot. Any suggestions???
Dave helped me some with suggestions. I can share some little I know since I'm not an expert by any stretch of any imagination. Try pushing through the entire foot and using more back stroke elbows 90 degrees--not as much forward stroke, also don't necessarily take long strides, shorten them a bit. You don't want to hunch over try "leaning" into the forward motion some. I don't know if my advice is correct, but it helps me.

Spirit of the Marathon, ohhh what a fantastic movie. I loved it for all the reasons everyone gave. I had tears; I thought of our WISH Team; DH said it was great. I loved that it recognized that we all have a story (the competers and completers) and the front of the packers and back of the packers can be related within those stories.I loved that the movie related the whole experience, training and all as part of the journey. WISH Team and any LURKERS out here, please make this training and chatting part of your experience. Enjoy the journey.

Jeanne, oh no you can NEVER belittle that huge accomplishment. YOU DID IT! Do not give anyone permission to make that less.

DCFC0002.jpg

These are the hat and visor ordered thru headsweats. Lynne has posted a thread to see what the interest is.

Jeanne--You know what I always so to those idiots, "what's your marathon time?" :mad: :mad: :mad: You completed the marathon. Period. Be very proud of your accomplishments and wear your marathon badge proudly. And to be completely honest with you, very few people actually run every step of the marathon. I was at mile 24 about 9:30, so I saw the 3:30 marathoners coming in and yep, some of them were walking. Congrats on your Mickey!!!

Krista

She's not kidding I got to mile 24 at 8:30 and I could not believe how many of the EARLY finishers walked at that point. I was amazed.
-- Of course I was thinking, "geez you guys could STROLL to the end and beat me by hours and hours and.... :lmao: "
angie

Jeanne- Two ideas: one, ask them about the last time they even started a marathon; two, thump 'em over the head with the medal. :rolleyes1

As for the hats, I found my hat to be a little small (but I gave it to my mom's friend who scream teamed and she loved it so much I think she's still wearing it, so maybe I have a freakishly big head). The material was great though. I loved the visors.

Jen in GA

Hi everybody! I've had a hard time keeping up with this thread with my busy schedule this week, but hopefully it will get better in about 2 weeks because....

I just got offered a job at Fleet Feet Sports!!!!!!!!!!!
(yep, I'm a little excited!)

I will be part time(about 15-20 hrs a week) which is PERFECT for me as I am a full time student. Even better, the store owner is extremely supportive that I want to run/walk with the new training group that starts in a few weeks, and said I would kind of be the "store rep" on the runs! It's called "no boundaries" and is a training group for walk, run/walk, or run for a few months, with the end of it being a local 5K. With my current job, I would not have even had the chance to go once a week!(I'm working as a waitress wayyy too many hours right now.) Needless to say, I'm excited about the job, and the fact that I will have more time to exercise/train (as the store closes around 7 pm and I now get home around midnight, leaving no time for anything!)

If you guys are ever in the Hickory NC area and need some shoes, you'll have to come and see me!

Sorry for the rambling, but I knew you guys would appreciate why this means so much to me!

Have a great weekend, and I am off to work to put in my 2 week notice!

Angie: Your posts always make me feel so good! It seems like whenever I get a little down on myself, I stumble into the WISH threads and read something that you (or Cam or Dave or Carrie or.... you get the point) write & I think, "THAT's why I'm here!" The posts kick me off the couch and in gear!

Congratulations Cam on your VR and upcoming plans for the family/marathon/VR celebration in 2009. I can feel the excitement vibe in every post.

Jeanne: It's been said already, and I can't say it better. You finished. You set out a goal and accomplished it. You did what most people only talk about doing, if they even have the vision to see a marathon as possible. And if someone suggests otherwise it says more about that person than it says about you. YOU are an athlete, an inspiration, a motivator. :worship:

Thanks to everyone for their response to Spirit of the Marathon. I'll definitely have to check it out, somehow.

Oh, and congratulations Becky! You'll do great and it sounds like the PT job will be great for you, too!

For me, it was an itty-bitty 3.0 miles WR on the TM today, as it's a bit breezy and the wind chill has us hovering around zero. Not as bad as some areas, but enough for me to want to hibernate. I followed with some time on the elliptical and some much-overdue stretching. I really need to work on flexibility and range of motion, so that'll be a goal for gym days.

This week's motivator:
The tortoise and hare
Each reaching the finish line:
One path, two journeys.

Yay, Becky!!

Jeanne -- YEAH!! What everyone else said! If anyone else asks you, tell them you covered the same 26.2+ miles that the first place finisher did and got the same medal as the 4th place finisher. And then ask them what their marathon PR is. Or just refer them to us. We'll take care of them! Don't let ANYONE minimize what you did or detract from the pride you deserve to feel. (see? I have been listening . . . )

Oh, I have to ask you guys something.
Howard and I have to go to Orlando at some point late summer or early fall to do a tasting session for cocktail hour and reception foods. Don't you think it would be a GREAT idea to do that the day before the race for the taste? :rolleyes1 I think SOMEBODY may need some convincing. :confused3 Can you imagine that? :sad2:

Cam- A "tasting session" at the same time as the "race for the taste?" One of those precious medals with the silverware to remind you of your "tasting session"-- oh, no brainer! It's meant to be! :woohoo: ;)

Becky- How cool! sounds like a great job and such a good solution to the whole finding time to workout problem! Congrats!

Jen in GA

jeanneg said:
People always ask me if I actually RAN a marathon and I always say, "Well, actually I walked it" and then they just go "oh" and move on. Kinda makes me feel like chopped liver...

Refer back, during the marathon, when you were in the "Bite Me Zone" and respond back to them with the first two words. ;) :)

Cam - Howard wil be done with school. Tasting HAS to be done... Then again, if he doesn't want to go, maybe you can have a friend or 2 or 6 or.... come with. ;)

Becky - COngrats! hat sound liek a great fit! (No pun intended)

Cam- A "tasting session" at the same time as the "race for the taste?" One of those precious medals with the silverware to remind you of your "tasting session"-- oh, no brainer! It's meant to be! :woohoo: ;)
See, Jen? I KNEW my WISH friends would get it! :love: :grouphug:
I'll have to go see if anyone started a thread for that race yet. I'll get everyone to gang up on him. Hey, maybe SOMEONE could send him a PM telling him what a great idea it is. :rolleyes1

Cam - Howard wil be done with school. Tasting HAS to be done... Then again, if he doesn't want to go, maybe you can have a friend or 2 or 6 or.... come with. ;)

Now, Carrie, that sounds like a fabulous option!!! But I HEARD that a huge contingent was saving their pennies for some race in San Antonio. Not sure whether to be :banana: for all SA race participants or :sad1: for those of us not likely to be spending a lovely fall weekend in the Lonestar State.

Cam: i just read your vow renewal journal....what a touching story. You guys are such an inspiration to us all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter